Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Out of interest, do people think either of the two main sites is better than the other? I've been basing all my searches on MyHome but perhaps I need to keep an eye on Daft too? It's easy to become obsessed with checking for new properties. Only a few have come up in my South Dublin catchment in the last few weeks and yet I'm still checking multiple times a day. You can really get yourself into knots over it.

Not sure if one is better than the other but I preferred the experience of the Daft app better than the myhome one.

Only came across a handful of properties that were only on one of the two platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

Having issues with DAFT recently - keep getting an error message

Sorry, it looks like something has gone wrong.

Have tried Chrome & Edge but not working on either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

optogirl wrote: »
    Having issues with DAFT recently - keep getting an error message

Sorry, it looks like something has gone wrong.

Have tried Chrome & Edge but not working on either

Clear your recent browser history, haven't had any problems that at all, literally looking at it right now.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Draco wrote: »
    We're so close and yet so far. We'd hoped to draw down on Friday and close today but the valuation is over 4 months old so the bank wants it signed off again. All the delays have been on the bank's side and now we're in a vicious circle where their own documentation is expiring because of it. Really want it closed this week as every delay now means it's less likely that we'd have the renovation done in time for Christmas.
    We're finally closed. Now we need to find the time to collect the keys! Now on to the stress of sorting out the renovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seller pulled out last minute today, devastated needless to say. Entitled to deposit etc back but out of pocket for surveys and solicitor fees, paid for house insurance and mortgage protection for the first month too. Grim.

• Advertisement

Silly question. I spend a lot of time around auction houses, and if the house is being auctioned, it's generally vacant and sold as seen. What you see is what you get.

For 'normal' (private treaty) sales, in a house for sale, what is generally included, in terms of furniture? Or does it vary house to house?

There are a couple of houses for sale around me, and two are for sale in the same estate. One is a couple that want to move out as they can't afford to extend the property to make it bigger, so moving to a bigger house is working out better for them. The other house, the pensioner that lived alone died and the family are selling to get rid. (these backstories aren't mentioned on daft or such, i just know the area/neighbours).

I can only assume that the couple will want to take everything with them to the new house, but the family selling the dead parent's house will want no part of the old furniture. Neither adverts say anything about the furniture though. I'd have thought it'd be spelled out for people.

(my default line of thinking is; 'if it's not fixed to the floor or wall, it's not part of the sale' but I could be wrong here).

klose wrote: »
    Seller pulled out last minute today, devastated needless to say. Entitled to deposit etc back but out of pocket for surveys and solicitor fees, paid for house insurance and mortgage protection for the first month too. Grim.

Ah no way. Did they even give a reason? :(

Similar happened a friend of mine before. Turned out the seller did the exact same thing with a previous sale-agreed buyer.

They did it a third time, too apparently. Then the house disappeared off daft/myhome only to re-appear a short while later with a different estate agent selling it. Don't know what some people are at, at all. :mad::rolleyes:

Ah no way. Did they even give a reason? :(

Similar happened a friend of mine before. Turned out the seller did the exact same thing with a previous sale-agreed buyer.

They did it a third time, too apparently. Then the house disappeared off daft/myhome only to re-appear a short while later with a different estate agent selling it. Don't know what some people are at, at all. :mad::rolleyes:

"personal reasons meaning sale is impossible" not sure why, the house was being sold for a nice bit over asking so I assume its genuine but it's a bitter pill to swallow.

I appreciate things happen, but looks like we will be out of pocket for the sellers issue, dosnt sit right with me but we are cleaning the air with our solicitor tokorrow to find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

klose wrote:

Wow that's awful, so sorry to hear that. Had they not signed binding contracts before you paid for those upfront?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

klose wrote: »

Sorry to hear that - been there and it's so deflating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

Vikings wrote: »
    Not sure if one is better than the other but I preferred the experience of the Daft app better than the myhome one.

Only came across a handful of properties that were only on one of the two platforms.

I hate the new Daft.
    Used to be able to check what has gone Sale Agreed but not anymore :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Silly question. I spend a lot of time around auction houses, and if the house is being auctioned, it's generally vacant and sold as seen. What you see is what you get.

For 'normal' (private treaty) sales, in a house for sale, what is generally included, in terms of furniture? Or does it vary house to house?

There are a couple of houses for sale around me, and two are for sale in the same estate. One is a couple that want to move out as they can't afford to extend the property to make it bigger, so moving to a bigger house is working out better for them. The other house, the pensioner that lived alone died and the family are selling to get rid. (these backstories aren't mentioned on daft or such, i just know the area/neighbours).

I can only assume that the couple will want to take everything with them to the new house, but the family selling the dead parent's house will want no part of the old furniture. Neither adverts say anything about the furniture though. I'd have thought it'd be spelled out for people.

(my default line of thinking is; 'if it's not fixed to the floor or wall, it's not part of the sale' but I could be wrong here).

Your default thinking is correct. When we moved into our house last year the people selling left nothing they were no obliged to (basically integrated kitchen appliances) other than a couple of rugs out in the garage

They are probably decent assumptions, but hard to know. Never underestimate the work people will do to not give something away though. Even if there is only a few hundred euro worth of furniture they very well might take it to flog it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭Treppen

Reins wrote: »
    I hate the new Daft.
    Used to be able to check what has gone Sale Agreed but not anymore :rolleyes:

It's crazy.... I suppose because the market is so low they'd have a website full of sale agreeds which wouldn't encourage browsing.

very annoying seeing a house you were interested in gone sale agreed 3 months ago... and still up for sale on Daft .

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Does anyone know how long it takes to get funds on a sale of a house. Sold our house nearly 3 weeks ago and mortgage is still not cleared, mortgage was actually debited from our accoubt yesterday too.

Solicitor keeps saying its getting done. Be great if anyone had timeline experience?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

rafatoni wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes to get funds on a sale of a house. Sold our house nearly 3 weeks ago and mortgage is still not cleared, mortgage was actually debited from our accoubt yesterday too.

Solicitor keeps saying its getting done. Be great if anyone had timeline experience?

Thanks

We sold on the 4/12. Mortgage was debited on the 7th. By the 20th we had a refund for that debit and the mortgage was cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Anyone got an opinion and dropping up to a house that’s for sale and having a chat with the seller? Good or bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

hunter164 wrote: »
    Anyone got an opinion and dropping up to a house that’s for sale and having a chat with the seller? Good or bad idea?

I would see it as a very bad idea, especially at the minute due to current restrictions and the world falling apart. I wouldn't like anyone turning up on our doorstep to talk about our house. Would leave me feeling very vulnerable. Use the Estate Agent that they have appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Maybe drop a note into their door with your number on it. They might be interested in saving the EA fee if they haven't had many bids or are in a rush

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Having a disaster of a day offer accepted in September from an investor for supposedly safe sale. Found out today that they are not going ahead as porch does not have planning permission even though it has compliance certificate from architect

Having a disaster of a day offer accepted in September from an investor for supposedly safe sale. Found out today that they are not going ahead as porch does not have planning permission even though it has compliance certificate from architect

We had a similar issue, buying a house with a converted garage (no physical building built on, just a renovation to a bedroom/bathroom & utility) however we were left looking for proof it was built to building regulations, it's a dose and things estate agents should probably be taking care of when listing the building?

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Wow that's awful, so sorry to hear that. Had they not signed binding contracts before you paid for those upfront?

Got more info today, seller was moving into a family home being rented out, tennents was given notice that the family wanted the home back as it was being moved into by a family member, tennents rejected and with covid it's pretty much impossible to get people out of houses that are being rented. All fair enough, we don't want to see anyone put onto the street for our gain, we have first refusal on the house when the seller can sort out another place so it makes things a little easier to swallow, our solicitor waived any fees due to us which was a relief, needless to say we agreed with him we would work with him again should this house opportunity arise again or we buy another property.

Treppen wrote: »
    Just get retention if it's there longer than 7 years (I think it's 7).

It’s 35 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chipmunks

It’s 35 years old

If its unauthorised development you'll need retention permission. The number of years its in place doesn't mean it has planning permission. At 35 years its still unauthorised development, at this stage though the Local Authority are statute barred from taking any enforcement action against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Absolutely terrible idea. Imagine every other person who's interested had the same idea.

chipmunks wrote: »
    If its unauthorised development you'll need retention permission. The number of years its in place doesn't mean it has planning permission. At 35 years its still unauthorised development, at this stage though the Local Authority are statute barred from taking any enforcement action against you.

The buyer was an investor who was leasing to the council . Cant understand why a porch would stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

From the time Sale Advice Notice is issued, how long should it take the sellers solicitor to draw up the first draft of the sale contract and issue it to the buyers solicitor? Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PinkSpark

EmptyTree wrote: »
    From the time Sale Advice Notice is issued, how long should it take the sellers solicitor to draw up the first draft of the sale contract and issue it to the buyers solicitor? Any advice greatly appreciated.

It took us just over 2 months to get our contracts from the vendors solicitor after we went sale agreed. There was a delay getting the deeds and that’s why it took so long. This seems to be the case for a lot of people at the moment. It took another month until we could sign as there was some back and forth and queries between the solicitors and now we’re still waiting to get the contracts back from the vendor signed. It’s a painfully slow process at times

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭randomguy

The buyer was an investor who was leasing to the council . Cant understand why a porch would stop them

That's awful, and seems unnecessary.
    When we bought our house, the porch, which was mainly glass with a tile roof, had no planning permission, and was just about 3 square metres - one square metre over the 2 square metre exemption. It was over 7 years old.
    It didn't matter to us - we were still happy to buy it.
    But we still needed the mortgage, and the bank would only grant it if property is in substantial compliance with planning etc (since it effects the re-sale value of their security). We were nervous, but solicitor said not to worry - since it is exempt, and at worst you could just remove it before selling, the bank won't care. But the bank did insist on us getting confirmation from the council that it was not and had never been the subject of enforcement proceedings before we could close the sale.
    Was there any indication at all that this was an issue, and why exactly it was an issue, in the correspondence between solicitors? It really should be surmountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Assume a council want take out a lease without it being approved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

klose wrote:
    Got more info today, seller was moving into a family home being rented out, tennents was given notice that the family wanted the home back as it was being moved into by a family member, tennents rejected and with covid it's pretty much impossible to get people out of houses that are being rented. All fair enough, we don't want to see anyone put onto the street for our gain, we have first refusal on the house when the seller can sort out another place so it makes things a little easier to swallow, our solicitor waived any fees due to us which was a relief, needless to say we agreed with him we would work with him again should this house opportunity arise again or we buy another property.

Ah that's so difficult but I suppose at least it's a legitimate reason. Very decent of the solicitor too. Something will work out whether it's this house or another, best of luck.

Advertisement