Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

A house has come up that we would be interested in viewing/ buying when restrictions lift.
    One thing that has set an alarm off is the oil boiler is inside in the utility room. No idea why someone would do that! But, is it a big deal? Would it need to be moved outside and is this a big/expensive job?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

pooch90 wrote: »
    A house has come up that we would be interested in viewing/ buying when restrictions lift.
    One thing that has set an alarm off is the oil boiler is inside in the utility room. No idea why someone would do that! But, is it a big deal? Would it need to be moved outside and is this a big/expensive job?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

I have heard of indoor models of oil boilers. You'd see examples on the Grant website for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishWhiskey

Hi All,

Looking for some general advice about the general process for purchasing a new build as a FTB.

Obviously I understand this will vary somewhat depending on the developer and the management agents.

Lets assume that it will take roughly 6 months for the building of the house to be completed.

I know that a deposit is made of X amount to secure the property, but what is the process after this happens and are contracts normally signed etc.. long before the build is complete or are they normally signed after build is complete and a snag list has been actioned?

Finally, am I right to assume that up until the actual signing of the contract that I am free to pull out of the sale and get a full refund for the deposit paid to hold the property?

Also, one last question: I've read on a lot of new developments that they state appliances are included within sign and return of the contract within 28 days. I would imagine the contract was normally sent out as one of the final steps after or very close to completion of construction on the property...is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I have heard of indoor models of oil boilers. You'd see examples on the Grant website for example.

I didn't realise that! Will have a look and see if any models there look similar. It's an 80s house though so I just would've assumed it would be outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

ongarite wrote: »
    How long is it taking people to get receipt or certificate of discharge from 2012 household charge website support?
    https://householdcharge.ie/
    Answering my own question.
    It took 8 business days to get reply back from household charge support with receipt of discharge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s the story with viewings these days and with having an estate agent around to your home to put it on the market?

Had an interest in a modernized 3 bed house in Brookwood, Artane. It's only up since last week and had a virtual viewing last Friday with consisted of the sales agent playing the video they have on Daft and MyHome.

Asking €495k and it's currently at €540k with 7 bidders in two days. Granted it already has the rear extension and an attic conversion and a BER B3 despite being a house from the 50s but people bidding 45k over asking despite no one stepping foot inside the house. Some desperation out there to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chora

cisk wrote: »
    Had an interest in a modernized 3 bed house in Brookwood, Artane. It's only up since last week and had a virtual viewing last Friday with consisted of the sales agent playing the video they have on Daft and MyHome.

Asking €495k and it's currently at €540k with 7 bidders in two days. Granted it already has the rear extension and an attic conversion and a BER B3 despite being a house from the 50s but people bidding 45k over asking despite no one stepping foot inside the house. Some desperation out there to say the least.

We're the same, 3 bed in North Dublin. Gone 15k over asking price, which isn't the worst but requires around 50k work minimum.

Very deflating to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

We were bidding on this ourselves, 62k over asking. A higher asking may have been more accurate, but still.. :eek:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-42-carton-court-maynooth-co-kildare/2866952

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chora

I notice all houses going well over the asking are with the one estate agent, is it the same with others?

• Advertisement

I have a feeling a lot of these lockdown level 5 Sale agreeds could fall through. People are bidding big money over asking on the hope that the house is exactly or near enough to what they expect. The fact that you can pull out any time up until contracts being signed makes it a bit of a no obligation affair. On the Sherry fitz portal you can submit bids having just signed up with your name, email and mobile number and a almost instant approval to submit bids, no proof of funds needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I have a feeling a lot of these lockdown level 5 Sale agreeds could fall through. People are bidding big money over asking on the hope that the house is exactly or near enough to what they expect. The fact that you can pull out any time up until contracts being signed makes it a bit of a no obligation affair. On the Sherry fitz portal you can submit bids having just signed up with your name, email and mobile number and a almost instant approval to submit bids, no proof of funds needed.

Not quite no obligation..the legal fees rack up fairly fast..long before contract signing.

True, but I was more thinking about when they view the house after they go sale agreed and get their first physical viewing. At that stage the only payment will be the deposit to the estate agent which they have to return pretty promptly if you change your mind.

That house is up to €550k now. There is only one house that’s sold for more on Brookwood avenue and that’s a detached house on a corner plot for ~€700k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

givyjoe wrote: »
    Weird post, they obviously mean they're checking for new properties to pop up.

Just thought it was weird. Things don't change that much in a few hours.

You could check once every 3/4 days and not miss a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seenn00J

Chora wrote: »
    I notice all houses going well over the asking are with the one estate agent, is it the same with others?

Have a look at recent entries on property price register, nearly everything the last 2-3 months is going over asking. (from a little to a lot over). In Dublin anyway, don't know about other counties.

Their portal is infuriating to use. Seems like bids are either manually approved and/or only being refreshed on the site a couple of times per hour. Multiple times we had a bid not even go live before then seeing an earlier bid go live, which was greater than ours. . You also can't see which bidder, bid what price. Better than no online bidding, but way worse than Remax for example. Much more transparent.

That agent also only asked for our AIP when it got to 350k.That's absolutely insane as we and others could easily NOT have even had AIP or even the funds to complete sale.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Just thought it was weird. Things don't change that much in a few hours.

You could check once every 3/4 days and not miss a property.

The problem is it could easily be gone or even have viewing slots all gone. This has happened us. Not been quick enough to call agent and initial slots are gone, then subsequent days are called off as they've already gone sale agreed. That's an outlier, but the earlier you get in, the more choice you'll have for viewing slots. Obviously not such a big deal at the moment though.

It's even happened again today with a property that couldn't have had physical viewings. Only went up last week and sale agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hellojoe21

I saw a house in raheny for sale in november. Asking was 475. It went for 545 in the end. At one stage there were 8 bidders. It's a 3 bed ex council house which was modernised. Had an attic conversion and a kitchen extension out the back. 113m squared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

hellojoe21 wrote: »
    I saw a house in raheny for sale in november. Asking was 475. It went for 545 in the end. At one stage there were 8 bidders. It's a 3 bed ex council house which was modernised. Had an attic conversion and a kitchen extension out the back. 113m squared.

St Anne's ? Huge demand around that area

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

Chora wrote: »

estate agent creating a bidding war. saying well we have someone willing to pay x amount will you pay x+5 etc. and theres no way of knowing if its real.

• Advertisement

We were bidding on this ourselves, 62k over asking. A higher asking may have been more accurate, but still.. :eek:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-42-carton-court-maynooth-co-kildare/2866952

i think 65K over asking for a house with concrete backyard way too much but I suppose it is maynooth. if you love the house keep at it. i saw this house myself actually and loved it for the price but at 65k over asking maybe time to look elsewhere and i wouldnt give them the satisfaction either tbh.

i really do think that the estate agents are creating false bidding wars.

disgraceful really

to be honest with remote working the way its going and allowing more flexibility - i wouldnt give estate agents and sellers the satisfaction of engaging in a bidding war - look further afield and u certainly get more bang for ur buck. Dublin aint what its cracked up to be anymore.

this is just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hellojoe21

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    estate agent creating a bidding war. saying well we have someone willing to pay x amount will you pay x+5 etc. and theres no way of knowing if its real.

Supply has dried up and mortgage approvals and demand are at record high levels. Expecting not to end up on a bidding war on a house in this climate is both naïve and fanciful.

i think 65K over asking for a house with concrete backyard way too much but I suppose it is maynooth. if you love the house keep at it. i saw this house myself actually and loved it for the price but at 65k over asking maybe time to look elsewhere and i wouldnt give them the satisfaction either tbh.

i really do think that the estate agents are creating false bidding wars.

disgraceful really

We stopped at 350k. Genuinely thought that it wouldn't go over that, even then I wasn't comfortable with it.

Were you bidding on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

to be honest with remote working the way its going and allowing more flexibility - i wouldnt give estate agents and sellers the satisfaction of engaging in a bidding war - look further afield and u certainly get more bang for ur buck. Dublin aint what its cracked up to be anymore.

this is just my opinion.

This doesn’t seem to be happening in Dublin only, we’re looking at Cork city, and the exact same is happening. We’re selling our house ATM, and are considering renting for a year or 2, and hope that the supply gets healthier by then... or pay over the odds now, but only if it ticks the boxes. Tough situation to be in when the sale is going much faster than the purchase.

hellojoe21 wrote: »
    Supply has dried up and mortgage approvals and demand are at record high levels. Expecting not to end up on a bidding war on a house in this climate is both naïve and fanciful.

other places to live outside the main cities

go country!

Sweetaure wrote: »
    This doesn’t seem to be happening in Dublin only, we’re looking at Cork city, and the exact same is happening. We’re selling our house ATM, and are considering renting for a year or 2, and hope that the supply gets healthier by then... or pay over the odds now, but only if it ticks the boxes. Tough situation to be in when the sale is going much faster than the purchase.

look at galway city also - prices nearly as high as dublin - crazy

We stopped at 350k. Genuinely thought that it wouldn't go over that, even then I wasn't comfortable with it.

Were you bidding on it?

no just saw it actually and thought it was lovely and maynooth is a really nice location.

yeah i think you made a wise decision - 350k you could understand for this house but wouldn't bid any higher.

no just saw it actually and thought it was lovely and maynooth is a really nice location.

yeah i think you made a wise decision - 350k you could understand for this house but wouldn't bid any higher.

Sounds like something the highest bidder would say :p

• Advertisement

Sounds like something the highest bidder would say :p

haha

Advertisement