Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you are calculating deviations from the asking price to decimal places you are overthinking things.
    An asking price is just starting point to get negotiations going. It may be higher or lower than the expected selling price. The expected selling price may vary depending on the level of interest. The difference between offers and asking prices is immaterial. You decide what the property is worth to you, make your offer below that price and the eventually increases to the level you think the property is worth, forget about what the original asking price was.

Yeah! Fair.

I was just trying to frame to you guys what the Vendors expectations might be, without revealing the actual price. Decimal places were a bit much though!

Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Had emailed a few agents about properties that had gone up since new restrictions in January. 3 of the properties have offers on them already. Is this not madness from people, making an offer on a place you haven't actually stood in?

My thinking is they are hoping the sellers need a fast sale and hence will take a price below asking but still seems a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Had emailed a few agents about properties that had gone up since new restrictions in January. 3 of the properties have offers on them already. Is this not madness from people, making an offer on a place you haven't actually stood in?

My thinking is they are hoping the sellers need a fast sale and hence will take a price below asking but still seems a bit mad.

Well nothing like being locked down in a small area like your parents or an apartment to make you want to move to something bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Due to drawdown today, however the home insurance documentation that AIB approved and said was perfect back in January, is for some reason no longer perfect. Spent all morning onto insurance and then down to the branch to try and sort it - waiting an hour in the car while they had lunch.

All in all, missed the cutoff for drawdown today so just go back into the pile for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hellojoe21

Not at all, given the climate. People desperately want a house. If you go sale agreed, you pay the booking deposit, view the house. If you don't like what you see, you get your deposit back. If you go as far as a survey and don't like what's in the report, you get your deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Spooch

Solicitor recieved contracts for our new build today, he asked us when was the house due to be completed and we said late this year.
    He's advising us to hold off signing for a while as he believes its too early in the process. I understand his hesitation given the lockdown and delays
    At what stage of the process are contracts usually signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Spooch wrote: »
    Solicitor recieved contracts for our new build today, he asked us when was the house due to be completed and we said late this year.
    He's advising us to hold off signing for a while as he believes its too early in the process. I understand his hesitation given the lockdown and delays
    At what stage of the process are contracts usually signed?

We're in the same predicament, the issue with no signing is the estate agent can sell to another client even if the booking deposit has being taken. With construction not back its a bit of a worry signing them so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Spooch

We're in the same predicament, the issue with no signing is the estate agent can sell to another client even if the booking deposit has being taken. With construction not back its a bit of a worry signing them so early.

Wasn't aware that could happen, is there a set time limit on contract signing or would it just be a case of the developer saying sign before x date or we'll refund your deposit and move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Spooch wrote: »
    Wasn't aware that could happen, is there a set time limit on contract signing or would it just be a case of the developer saying sign before x date or we'll refund your deposit and move on?

I was also not aware of that - especially if you put down a booking deposit in December, between solicitors finishing up and Christmas, you’re looking at the middle of Jan at the earliest before you could sign? I was told if you keep in touch with your agent they’re usually understanding?

Also I know they try and hold flooring and appliance allowances over you but I’ve really of them not being given?

Having said that I know agents are slow to release properties more than 6 months away from completion, which is fair considering something that was due to be completed in May is likely to be finished by August at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

I messaged AIB through the portal on Monday and no reply yet. Has anyone been in contact with them lately? How long did they take to get back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭klose

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I messaged AIB through the portal on Monday and no reply yet. Has anyone been in contact with them lately? How long did they take to get back?

For us, the closer to the end of the mortgage closure the quicker they are to reply, at the start when you're only uploading documents queries etc.. They can be slow enough, the number on the portal to ring their Dublin office is there and they're helpful enough up there too if it's urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

Any one having problems with the seller allowing a structural survey to take place? Been sale agreed over a month now but seller still won't let surveyor on property due to COVID (they're legally allowed as property was sale agreed prior to restrictions).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

Any one having problems with the seller allowing a structural survey to take place? Been sale agreed over a month now but seller still won't let surveyor on property due to COVID (they're legally allowed as property was sale agreed prior to restrictions).

We did, kind of... we’re selling, and went sale agreed the 2nd week of December, so the engineer said he’d come early January, and then then lockdown returned, so the engineer wasn’t comfortable coming in to do the survey. He finally came this past Monday. We didn’t mind too much as we still haven’t found another house, but still nerve-wracking.

There might be a reason why the seller is delaying the survey, maybe he also doesn’t have anywhere to go, or maybe there’s a delay up the chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

Sweetaure wrote: »
    We did, kind of... we’re selling, and went sale agreed the 2nd week of December, so the engineer said he’d come early January, and then then lockdown returned, so the engineer wasn’t comfortable coming in to do the survey. He finally came this past Monday. We didn’t mind too much as we still haven’t found another house, but still nerve-wracking.

There might be a reason why the seller is delaying the survey, maybe he also doesn’t have anywhere to go, or maybe there’s a delay up the chain?

Good to hear it went ahead in the end for you!

The seller isn't buying another property so it's not that. We were told it was an executive sale by the EA but I think the seller is actually staying there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

Good to hear it went ahead in the end for you!

The seller isn't buying another property so it's not that. We were told it was an executive sale by the EA but I think the seller is actually staying there at the moment

It’ll happen for you too, but you might need to put pressure on the vendor through the EA... good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rose_2

Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone bought or planning to buy a house without viewing, given current restrictions? Something I’d be very nervous about but might be yet another thing we need to adapt to - houses are still selling after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

rose_2 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone bought or planning to buy a house without viewing, given current restrictions? Something I’d be very nervous about but might be yet another thing we need to adapt to - houses are still selling after all!

You can view when sale agreed then decide if you want to go ahead. Costs you nothing but time. And the seller won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

rose_2 wrote: »

We spoke about this last week. My husband said 100% he'd bid & go sale agreed on a virtual viewing but hes far more impetuous than me. I said no but I've been thinking about it & I think I might if it was a house that ticked all our boxes. I saw a poll where I think 87% said they wouldn't go sale agreed on a virtual viewing so I'm wondering if its a good opportunity to get in early on the buying process while others are sitting on their hands. You don't really have anything to lose but I don't like the idea of messing a seller around, which is going to happen in a lot of these cases.

I'm very undecided because, in my opinion, the market is screaming desperation at the moment & I'm wondering is me even contemplating this smacking of that same desperation. I hate the idea of us feeding it but the reality is that we're without a home for 14 months & I want stability for our family. I don't think I could love a home based on a virtual viewing but then again I have fallen for houses just looking at photos on Daft! I really don't like what this market is doing to my otherwise practical mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think lots of EA are facilitating viewings safely (at least that is my recent experience from speaking with EA's)

Crazy that you cannot walk into an empty house to look at for a few minutes, but a packed supermarket is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just been refused an extension from Dublin City Council on our AIP for the Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan. An absolute kick in the teeth considering we can't househunt for the final 6 weeks of our approval. Feel like throwing the towel in and renting forever but not being able to put a shelf up is beginning to grate with 2 kids and space at a premium. Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Meraf

klose wrote: »
    For us, the closer to the end of the mortgage closure the quicker they are to reply, at the start when you're only uploading documents queries etc.. They can be slow enough, the number on the portal to ring their Dublin office is there and they're helpful enough up there too if it's urgent.

At the final stage they are very responsive and answering on daily basis for any queries ,document check required for drawdown .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I need to get a skip and also move stuff out of my gaff when vacating. It's a two person job, can I employ my nephew to help in the current guidelines? Obviously taking precautions etc. I dont see how else I can give over vacant possession.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

TobyHolmes, thread banned. Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I personally wouldn’t dream of buying a house without seeing it. I’d express a strong interest but it’s not a decision I would feel comfortable making based in photographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nurik922

If I buy a new house, does it increase in value over time at the same rate as a similar second hand house? For example, if I choose between a new house for 300k and 4 year old property for 250k and buy the new one, after say 5 years living in that new house, in my view, any potential buyer when selecting between my house which is 5 years old and that second hand property which will be 9 years old then will choose 9 year old one (assuming the same growth rate in price). Am I missing some factors here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Gael23 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn’t dream of buying a house without seeing it. I’d express a strong interest but it’s not a decision I would feel comfortable making based in photographs.

A house in North Dublin just went up last week . No viewings . Current bid 10k over asking

A house in North Dublin just went up last week . No viewings . Current bid 10k over asking

I mentioned a house in Brookwood, Artane recently. Currently €86k over asking from Virtual views only, 5 bidders still in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

cisk wrote: »
    I mentioned a house in Brookwood, Artane recently. Currently €86k over asking from Virtual views only, 5 bidders still in the game.

Crazy . The supply is the lowest i've ever seen it but still .

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TomTanks

What are peoples experiences on drawdown these days, any experiencing major delays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

cisk wrote: »

Insanity. I have relatives living in that area & they paid under 400k for their house in similar condition to that one but not extended a few years ago. Looks like that house is going to hit 600k effortlessly with 5 desperate bidders competing at this stage!

Advertisement