Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

I couldn't believe what i was seeing when it sailed past €550k. I don't underestimate the value in buying a house that has already had a renovation, kitchen extension and attic conversion but it's smashed through the ceiling price for the area.

For €600k I'd prefer to be in Raheny, Killester.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

I think people are completely losing the run of themselves at the moment. We had to walk away from what was my dream home a few months ago because the bidding had gotten to a level where I just couldn't justify the spend plus 200k to renovate. Even if I had the budget, I'd certainly want to be getting more bang for that amount of buck! Blasting through ceiling prices for average homes is incomprehensible to me but I can see how the current situation is affecting peoples decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

We went sale agreed on a house last Friday, 25 thousand over asking. The estate agent agreed the price, we viewed with the expectation that we could change our minds but we were happy. This house had only been on the market 3 days. Another house nearby was nearly 40 thousand above asking before viewing.

I did find that a lot of viewings were going ahead. The market seems to be crazy, in South Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jamon_serrano

Cosle wrote: »
    We went sale agreed on a house last Friday, 25 thousand over asking. The estate agent agreed the price, we viewed with the expectation that we could change our minds but we were happy. This house had only been on the market 3 days. Another house nearby was nearly 40 thousand above asking before viewing.

I did find that a lot of viewings were going ahead. The market seems to be crazy, in South Dublin anyway.

I am happy for you. Could you please post what was the advertised price?

I am interested in a house advertised at 375k and would like to have an idea how much the price could increase. Looking at PPR the price seems in range.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

The list price was 495,000. The previous sale was agreed at 515,000 in November. We settled at 520,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

rose_2 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone bought or planning to buy a house without viewing, given current restrictions? Something I’d be very nervous about but might be yet another thing we need to adapt to - houses are still selling after all!

Not bought without viewing but for our current sale agreed house I was happily surprised that a couple of the rooms looked better in real life than in the websites photos, this was in contrast to the fact one bedroom looked stunning on the website but in reality is smaller than it looked but it wasn't a deal breaker for us.
    I wouldn't mind going Sale agreed based on a virtual viewing, nothing to lose if you need to back out when you get to view in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

pleh wrote: »
    Not bought without viewing but for our current sale agreed house I was happily surprised that a couple of the rooms looked better in real life than in the websites photos, this was in contrast to the fact one bedroom looked stunning on the website but in reality is smaller than it looked but it wasn't a deal breaker for us.
    I wouldn't mind going Sale agreed based on a virtual viewing, nothing to lose if you need to back out when you get to view in reality.

Don’t the contracts have to be with the solicitors before you are sale agreed? That would mean that you’ll have to pay your solicitor even if you pull out of the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

Sweetaure wrote: »
    Don’t the contracts have to be with the solicitors before you are sale agreed? That would mean that you’ll have to pay your solicitor even if you pull out of the sale?
    We're sale agreed and still waiting on the vendor's solicitor to send the contracts to our solicitor. They said they are waiting for the deeds from the bank. It's really dragging out now, was just onto them to send yet another reminder to the Vendor's solicitor. Our solicitor is not charging us if the sale falls through, through no fault of our own they haven't done any work on our sale as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

I am now 14 weeks sale agreed on a property and still no sign of contracts - was onto my broker today just to double check the length of time before my loan offer expires and he reckons at this stage there must be legal difficulties and I should start to look again :(

Has anyone any positive stories of waiting this long?

There is absolutely nothing else for sale in the area I want and I do love this house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

With the current talk of ulster bank withdrawing from Ireland would it be a bad idea to apply for a mortgage through them

Their rate is very low at 2.2%

• Advertisement

Looking for advice: we’ve put in an offer on a house on Tuesday, the EA told me (over the phone) that he’d call me to next day, and when I he didn’t by 5pm yesterday, I sent him a text to ask him if he had any feedback. He text me and said he’d call me today. He hasn’t yet, and I can’t imagine he will now...
    do I text him again/ call?

Thanks for any (constructive please) feedback/ advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sweetaure wrote:
    Looking for advice: we’ve put in an offer on a house on Tuesday, the EA told me (over the phone) that he’d call me to next day, and when I he didn’t by 5pm yesterday, I sent him a text to ask him if he had any feedback. He text me and said he’d call me today. He hasn’t yet, and I can’t imagine he will now... do I text him again/ call?

Yes call him, it's his job to take calls from interested parties and saves waiting on him to get back to you when he's already been slow to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

cisk wrote: »
    I couldn't believe what i was seeing when it sailed past €550k. I don't underestimate the value in buying a house that has already had a renovation, kitchen extension and attic conversion but it's smashed through the ceiling price for the area.

For €600k I'd prefer to be in Raheny, Killester.

Point out a similar house in Raheny for that price? It's madness, I agree, but is the nicest house to come up in the area in the last year and has a very recent renovation done.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Yes call him, it's his job to take calls from interested parties and saves waiting on him to get back to you when he's already been slow to do so

Thanks - so I called him and he said that the vendor is looking for a lot more than asking price and that he might wait until March... the EA seems to think that the sector won’t reopen in March, but I’m not sure what to believe.

In reality, someone who is sale agreed would not be able to buy anything until April? Isn’t that crazy?!

Point out a similar house in Raheny for that price? It's madness, I agree, but is the nicest house to come up in the area in the last year and has a very recent renovation done.

The renovation was in 2010, recent in the sense that the house is from the 50s or 60s.

I didn’t say a house in Raheny to the same renovation standard but for €600k id rather something nearer to Raheny village rather than Artane roundabout.

Personal preference I admit.

The renovation was in 2010, recent in the sense that the house is from the 50s or 60s.

I didn’t say a house in Raheny to the same renovation standard but for €600k id rather something nearer to Raheny village rather than Artane roundabout.

Personal preference I admit.
    Fair point. Some of the renovation was done in 2017 I think. Anyway I get your point but it 8s a lovely house and if ud been waiting for a year and had the money, I can see why is gone so high. Plenty in the area have gone for 460-500k with a renovation yet to do. Madness I agree but that's the reality of that area for the last year

Very true, I’ve been looking at D5, D3 for the last year or two and just about in the position to buy. The supply has never been so poor. Luckily I’m not in such a desperate need to buy right now.

Very true, I’ve been looking at D5, D3 for the last year or two and just about in the position to buy. The supply has never been so poor. Luckily I’m not in such a desperate need to buy right now.

We're the same. It's a lovely area but is very hard when maybe 10-15 properties have come up since the new year. If I was a seller, I'd 100% get it up asap as people are sick of waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Its mad to spend that kind of money for a house near Artane roundabout. Their money but very irresponsible.

For that money, you want to buy in Clontarf, Raheny and some places in Killester. Now in saying this, I remeber Brisan said you cant buy a Turnkey property in D5 for 500k.

Still mad stuff.

I went sale agreed on a place in the summer and I was lucky. There's no hope of me buying it if it was now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Would people have an issue living very close to an electricity pylon? Saw a nice house pop up, quick look on Streetview shows one about 20 metres away. Inconclusive evidence around health concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

givyjoe wrote: »
    Would people have an issue living very close to an electricity pylon? Saw a nice house pop up, quick look on Streetview shows one about 20 metres away. Inconclusive evidence around health concerns.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a house with one in the garden or in front, beyond that it depends on where it is and how noticeable it is I guess. I would be more worried about resale though than health concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

Some new builds recently near pylons, we decided not to even though the houses are fab. Not because of health concerns, just don't like the look and the worried they make noise! I think the kind near residential areas have negligible health affects however I am no doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn’t buy a house with one in the garden or in front, beyond that it depends on where it is and how noticeable it is I guess. I would be more worried about resale though than health concerns

I viewed a house once that was near one. It was a rainy day...the thing was making a buzzing noise! It did my head in when I was outside the house. Subsequently that house remained on the market for a very long time (years)...and eventually sold via Bid-x....

Ursabear wrote: »
    Some new builds recently near pylons, we decided not to even though the houses are fab. Not because of health concerns, just don't like the look and the worried they make noise! I think the kind near residential areas have negligible health affects however I am no doctor!

This is the view from outside the house, close enough to be at least an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

Yep and like the other poster said that crackling noise in the rain might become annoying (it would to me anyway ). I guess it depends on if you would get annoyed with stepping out and seeing it every time you leave the house or if it won't bother you at all. It's a tough call when you love the house, but there are other nice houses ( though they are so thin in the ground at the moment).

Ursabear wrote: »
    Yep and like the other poster said that crackling noise in the rain might become annoying (it would to me anyway ). I guess it depends on if you would get annoyed with stepping out and seeing it every time you leave the house or if it won't bother you at all. It's a tough call when you love the house, but there are other nice houses ( though they are so thin in the ground at the moment).

If there were other options, i wouldn't even put a thought into it. But there is nothing coming up in Celbridge at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This is the view from outside the house, close enough to be at least an eyesore.

That really is an eyesore the way it bisects the estate, there isn't even any barriers around it.
    If there were other options, i wouldn't even put a thought into it. But there is nothing coming up in Celbridge at the moment unfortunately.

As hard as it is, you might be better off holding out. That thing is going to bother the **** out of you on a daily basis and it doesn't look like the kind of thing you could get used to.

Markitron wrote: »
    That really is an eyesore the way it bisects the estate, there isn't even any barriers around it.

As hard as it is, you might be better off holding out. That thing is going to bother the **** out of you on a daily basis and it doesn't look like the kind of thing you could get used to.

I probably won't end up buying, but only considering due to the pitiful supply at the moment. Going to attend a virtual viewing later and keep an eye on the bidding. Be interesting to see what this does for and see what new levels of madness it might reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

We're looking for a good 8 months at this stage. I have to say the lack of supply since the turn of the year, in the areas we are looking, is very disheartening.

We're not interested in a new build (to each their own) so that limits the amount of properties obviously, but it just seems like no houses are coming to the market. Anyone else of the view that supply of previously owned houses has slowed significantly?

• Advertisement

We're looking for a good 8 months at this stage. I have to say the lack of supply since the turn of the year, in the areas we are looking, is very disheartening.

We're not interested in a new build (to each their own) so that limits the amount of properties obviously, but it just seems like no houses are coming to the market. Anyone else of the view that supply of previously owned houses has slowed significantly?

Same boat, dont like new builds at all. No soul to them at all. I think most people here active in the last few weeks would say the same. So will agents if you ask them, people just are't putting their homes up as its obviously a complicated enough process without the absolute ****show going on around us, i.e. Covid etc. In my budget in Celbridge for example, i think ive seen 2/3 houses pop up in total this year. Usually it would be 2/3 a week. Same sh1t with every other area/search, bar clonsilla! Everyone seems to be bailing out of there!

Advertisement