Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seenn00J

We're looking for a good 8 months at this stage. I have to say the lack of supply since the turn of the year, in the areas we are looking, is very disheartening.

We're not interested in a new build (to each their own) so that limits the amount of properties obviously, but it just seems like no houses are coming to the market. Anyone else of the view that supply of previously owned houses has slowed significantly?

Yes, noticing this personally in Dublin suburbs. The Greater Dublin area has a population of 1.9 million people and there's barely anything in terms of second hand houses coming on the market. Any new ads for family homes in Dublin on daft I follow seem to be going sale agreed with a few weeks and appear on the property price register then for (sometimes a lot) over the asking price. It's shocking really but I'm still optimistic that it's not a long term problem and somehow related to covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

givyjoe wrote: »
    Same boat, dont like new builds at all. No soul to them at all. I think most people here active in the last few weeks would say the same. So will agents if you ask them, people just are't putting their homes up as its obviously a complicated enough process without the absolute ****show going on around us, i.e. Covid etc. In my budget in Celbridge for example, i think ive seen 2/3 houses pop up in total this year. Usually it would be 2/3 a week. Same sh1t with every other area/search, bar clonsilla! Everyone seems to be bailing out of there!

Yeah noticed that with Clonsilla . Finglas aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Same boat, dont like new builds at all. No soul to them at all. I think most people here active in the last few weeks would say the same. So will agents if you ask them, people just are't putting their homes up as its obviously a complicated enough process without the absolute ****show going on around us, i.e. Covid etc. In my budget in Celbridge for example, i think ive seen 2/3 houses pop up in total this year. Usually it would be 2/3 a week. Same sh1t with every other area/search, bar clonsilla! Everyone seems to be bailing out of there!

Some people prefer new builds... myself as an example. 2 properties bought in 2007 and 2020. Both new builds. You are right though regarding the lack of supply. it's unbelievable. That helped us sell our apartment for the highest historical price for an apartment in our area, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah the supply was bad enough last year but it has really fallen off a cliff since December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Another delay to our process, but scheduled to collect keys Feb 12th. Sale agreed August 5th. The power has been off for more than six months, so it's going to take some time unfortunately to get it back on.
    10+ phone calls and emails to Electric Ireland, the ESB and a qualified electrician, they all gave me conflicting information for how soon they can reconnect the house and the process needed... Typical! Friday will bring new challenges, but keys are the ultimate milestone and we are cautiously optimistic... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

cisk wrote: »
    Had an interest in a modernized 3 bed house in Brookwood, Artane. It's only up since last week and had a virtual viewing last Friday with consisted of the sales agent playing the video they have on Daft and MyHome.

Asking €495k and it's currently at €540k with 7 bidders in two days. Granted it already has the rear extension and an attic conversion and a BER B3 despite being a house from the 50s but people bidding 45k over asking despite no one stepping foot inside the house. Some desperation out there to say the least.

I was interested in that house too. Slim pickings on artane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How many people will be allowed at a viewing when they start again?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Gael23 wrote: »

I'd imagine it will be what its been since the beginning of this sh1tshow...the bare minimum. How many do you need? Open viewings are a thing of the past for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Gael23 wrote:

When we were going to viewings in June/July it varied depending on the EA. Most had a specific time slot of 10 mins per couple. Others had an hour for all/any who attended but only allowed one couple in the house at a time or one couple upstairs, another downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I was interested in that house too. Slim pickings on artane

That house is 600k now. When it came up I said to my wife it'll go for about 615k such is the lack of supply. That's a hell of a lot of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Smiley11 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it will be what its been since the beginning of this sh1tshow...the bare minimum. How many do you need? Open viewings are a thing of the past for the foreseeable.

I was going to bring my parents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Gael23 wrote:
    I was going to bring my parents

Some viewings we attended had a couple with a parent, most EAs email confirmation stated two only allowed in but we saw trios. We had our toddler with us and she wasn't allowed in except at one house, so one of us would go in alone while the other waited with the baby, I'm sure you could take turns to go in if they were very strict on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

That house is 600k now. When it came up I said to my wife it'll go for about 615k such is the lack of supply. That's a hell of a lot of money

Seems crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Some viewings we attended had a couple with a parent, most EAs email confirmation stated two only allowed in but we saw trios. We had our toddler with us and she wasn't allowed in except at one house, so one of us would go in alone while the other waited with the baby, I'm sure you could take turns to go in if they were very strict on it.

We also viewed with kids back in October/November. Some allowed them in, some we went to alone, for a few one of us viewed and then all went back for a second viewing. The house we bought they weren't allowed viewed but once our bid was accepted we went back with the kids and a friend so 5 of us. We just asked up front in all cases would it be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I'm kind of reassured that I'm not going completely insane now.

We had been noticing this trend across our search area in South Dublin since last May or so, getting worse and worse each month, and now you can see the supply is so low. Every house we are interested in has a bid in on first viewing or first day for over asking. And they end up going for far far over asking - for properties where extremely similar ones on the same roads were going for far less at the supposed "peak" in 2018/early '19.

The Pandemic has made the market conditions extra insane. And I'm glad more people are talking about it and acknowledging it.

When we would discuss with some peers or family, there would be a shrug and a kind of acceptance that the prices are going up and that's just what properties are going for now. We don't believe it's that simple. We do think that when some amount of "normal" life is achieved after the vaccination programme, sellers will be more comfortable with putting their properties on the market and there will be more properties available. There should be some degree of easing. Im not saying in the 12% that was expected last year, but certainly a few % at least.

Always interested to discuss this issue with like-minded buyers. Best of luck everyone on the hunt in these in demand areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

I probably won't end up buying, but only considering due to the pitiful supply at the moment. Going to attend a virtual viewing later and keep an eye on the bidding. Be interesting to see what this does for and see what new levels of madness it might reach.

We were looking in Celbridge last summer and very few houses came up in our price range then either. That house is lovely and the price is quite low for the area. I found a lot of estate agents there deliberately price low and most houses I bid on went 40k over asking. We eventually looked further afield and moved in to our new house in Oct.

I’d say that house will go 40k+ over asking - pylon or not - depends on how set you are in Celbridge but that’s what the markets been like there for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I have been looking to buy, for about a year now. Here are three experiences I had ;

1. I looked at a house in Gorey, what attracted me was the ad said "on c. .5 of an acre". It was nowhere near that. I suspect that any reasonable sized plot gets put down as "half an acre. Lesson 1. Take figures with a pinch of salt.

2. I found a house in Dublin that would suit, after viewing I decided to think about it for a few days. When I rang the estate agent to offer the full asking price I was told it was sale agreed. Lesson 2. If you find a place that suits, even if it is not perfect, don't hesitate.

3. I saw a house on Daft, that I thought would be worth a look. My usual plan is to go and look at the house from the outside, check the neighbourhood, etc, before a formal viewing. When I eventually found the house there was no "For sale" sign outside. Checking back later on the website, it had been sold 4 months previously. Lesson 3 Beware of these websites, they are not updated often enough.

One final gripe ; I wish estate agents would stop describing the most unappealing properties as "stunning"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

One final gripe ; I wish estate agents would stop describing the most unappealing properties as "stunning"

Walls could be falling down and they describe it as "in need of modernization" 😳

My main gripe in them listing addresses incorrectly to get more interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

CarMc wrote: »
    We were looking in Celbridge last summer and very few houses came up in our price range then either. That house is lovely and the price is quite low for the area. I found a lot of estate agents there deliberately price low and most houses I bid on went 40k over asking. We eventually looked further afield and moved in to our new house in Oct.

I’d say that house will go 40k+ over asking - pylon or not - depends on how set you are in Celbridge but that’s what the markets been like there for over a year now.
    We saw what we felt,was a great house in the walled gardens. Huge extension, liked the estate. Went for 327 last march. We were on WSS scheme at the time so wasn't a runner, but that now seems like a bargain.

Before Christmas viewed one in Beatty Park. Even better, but went for 360. Will be interesting to see what this goes for. Around 20 people on my virtual viewing alone, and there were two other zoom calls to to go. Not pushed with this one unless it goes close to asking, and there isnt a hope of that. The buyers market was bad before Christmas, it's now spectacularly bad.

I'm not set on anywhere, but celbridge seems nice to me and I've mates there a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

Can an estate agent go sale agreed on a house within 24 hours of advertising it? Without giving prospective buyers a chance to make a higher bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

BTownB wrote: »
    Can an estate agent go sale agreed on a house within 24 hours of advertising it? Without giving prospective buyers a chance to make a higher bid.

They can. Although seems pretty odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

accensi0n wrote: »
    They can. Although seems pretty odd.

Surely it's not in the interest of the seller though? And the agent is acting on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Surely it's not in the interest of the seller though? And the agent is acting on their behalf.

If the EA has marked the property as sale agreed, then that's what the seller wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seller probably looking for a quick sale, told EA to tell people they're happy to sell at if they ask and that happened I'd imagine? Possibly a cash buyer too?

Saw a house going up in Dublin 7 only a week or so ago, so during lockdown. Asking 595,000, offers are up at 645,000.
    That's just crazy seeing as how there are not even any viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

How hard is it to get planning permission for building one of those scandanavian log cabins on land? not just in your back yard. Think it would be a lifesaver for the lack of supply in the property market if people could just buy a plot and have a log cabin built on it. i'm sure ireland has come up with loads of reasons why planning permission cant be granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

accensi0n wrote: »
    If the EA has marked the property as sale agreed, then that's what the seller wanted.

Seller might have a price and date.
    If the buyer can meet the price at the date, the house is sold.

My parent were like that. Wanted a quick easy sale and took the first cash buyer that offered what they were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    How hard is it to get planning permission for building one of those scandanavian log cabins on land? not just in your back yard. Think it would be a lifesaver for the lack of supply in the property market if people could just buy a plot and have a log cabin built on it. i'm sure ireland has come up with loads of reasons why planning permission cant be granted.

As a home? Impossible.
    Any log cabin that can meet current 2021 nZEB regulations will be as expensive as a regular home and basically look like a standard block built, timber frame house.

ongarite wrote: »
    As a home? Impossible.
    Any log cabin that can meet current 2021 nZEB regulations will be as expensive as a regular home and basically look like a standard block built, timber frame house.

really? i havent researched it to be honest but I see plenty of advertisements for such things and people doing it in other countries.

why is it impossible? if someone could do it in the short term and not have to rent/buy in the interim.

• Advertisement

Advertisement