Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    You haven't looked into it too much.
    Directly from their FAQ section:
    Why should I buy a timber house if the cost is the same as bricks and mortar?

This depends on your own perception and whether you think bricks are “better”. Timber has a number of advantages over conventional build: a) It is a renewable resource; b) it has very low embodied carbon; c) it is much quicker to build in prefabricated timber and much less weather dependant; d) the build is much cleaner with few wet trades; e) It is easier to achieve air tightness of the shell with a log building than block or brick walls; f) the structure is lighter, requiring shallower foundations; g) timber houses are largely earthquake proof and walls don’t collapse if a lorry crashes into them for instance; h) interior timber wall panelling (instead of plasterboard) is recognised as creating a much healthier living environment.

As I said building to current standards will be no cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

BTownB wrote: »
    Can an estate agent go sale agreed on a house within 24 hours of advertising it? Without giving prospective buyers a chance to make a higher bid.

2 properties I've seen on Daft & Myhome. 1 of them was refreshed on Saturday, we were able to make a bid online. The other was refreshed today Called the EA's and they've both been sale agreed a few weeks.

Very frustrating. :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

extrafluff wrote: »
    2 properties I've seen on Daft & Myhome. 1 of them was refreshed on Saturday, we were able to make a bid online. The other was refreshed today Called the EA's and they've both been sale agreed a few weeks.

Very frustrating. :confused: :mad:

I hate that.

Saw a house on daft. Called and was told it was sale agreed. No further bids.
    I asked why it was still active. Was told it was to generate interest in case sale falls through.

Ad was still active 3 months later, so I called again and was told it was sold. I asked why they still had it active. Oh, we just never took it down.

F8ck sake.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

really? i havent researched it to be honest but I see plenty of advertisements for such things and people doing it in other countries.

why is it impossible? if someone could do it in the short term and not have to rent/buy in the interim.

If you asked one of the log cabin providers in Ireland for a certificate to show their compliance with building regs they wouldn't be able to produce one.

They are fancy sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

awec wrote: »
    If you asked one of the log cabin providers in Ireland for a certificate to show their compliance with building regs they wouldn't be able to produce one.

They are fancy sheds.

thats interesting - have you experienced that or how do you know? Do people not pick them up on it as it is presented very differently. i would think they would not be able to misrepresent in that way so how do we know they can't?

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You haven't looked into it too much.
    Directly from their FAQ section:

As I said building to current standards will be no cheaper.

they are cheaper to build/purchase though......

i have no idea about building standards I do not work in construction or develop as some people on here seem to do which is fair enough.

but i am a firm believer that we should always explore other avenues outside the status quo if people want things to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

but i am a firm believer that we should always explore other avenues outside the status quo if people want things to change.

Unfortunately your view runs counter to an Bord Pleanala and the County Councils.

More of the same please!

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Unfortunately your view runs counter to an Bord Pleanala and the County Councils.

More of the same please!

yeah agree. Other countries do these type of things successfully so I think Ireland should at least try something different.

I mean how lovely would it be - just buy a plot, add a ready to go timber house or something along those lines and Voila - off you go to enjoy your life without having to be subject to crazy market prices, bidding wars, mortgages etc etc etc.

or even live on a boat dockside - but cant seem to do that either in ireland

We can dream I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone here gone sale agreed on their property but still not have found anything to buy?

Made worse as pretty much nothing has come up over last month and not likely too until restrictions lifted at earliest.

I presume buyers in these cases just have to wait until the sellers can find somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Anyone here gone sale agreed on their property but still not have found anything to buy?

Made worse as pretty much nothing has come up over last month and not likely too until restrictions lifted at earliest.

I presume buyers in these cases just have to wait until the sellers can find somewhere.

Not so sure ..id imagine you will need to find a rental as a stop gap. I wouldn't hang around too long as a buyer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭goingagain

It really depends , we made ours wait and we’re not prepared to sell until we’re buying. Buyers are waiting. Sale agreed since July on ours, in the final stages of closing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

We’re sale agreed since December but the engineer only came last week so we’re delayed but we haven’t found a new house yet so it was fine. We’re prepared to negotiate with the buyer and to rent short term if necessary. Given the state of the market at the moment, we’re actually contour renting for a year....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭theflash

Sale agreed since early January. Sale agreed on the house we're purchasing since December . Waiting on the sellers to find somewhere. But also held up by mortgage protection insurance. Seems like this will be the biggest hold up, insurance company looking for doctors reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/13-rathvale-park-ayrfield-dublin-13-d13-e4x2/4478549

Rang about this . Virtual viewings only . Current offer 412k !!!

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/13-rathvale-park-ayrfield-dublin-13-d13-e4x2/4478549

Madness

Christ. It's enough to make you give up :(

Madness

Fluorescent tube lighting in the attic bedroom. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor1974

Looking at 2 houses in Malahide.Ea rang a couple of hours ago to tell us the one we where looking at @ €725,000 is now at €810,000 cash.
    The second house @ €750,000 the Ea wouldn’t even entertain us as they are looking for a cash buyer and told us to sell ours and rent and we would have a better chance.Ignorant cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

cisk wrote: »
    I mentioned a house in Brookwood, Artane recently. Currently €86k over asking from Virtual views only, 5 bidders still in the game.

This house was listed 495 is now at 620 with 2 bidders left. Scary

It all seems very hysterical atm, bit too much so.
    I'm glad I'm in a position to sit out the current madness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would love to know where they are all getting mortgages. Banks have really tightened up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would love to know where they are all getting mortgages. Banks have really tightened up

In what way? if you've clean spending habits good credit report and decent saving habits then banks will lend, banks want to lend

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

brianc27 wrote: »
    In what way? if you've clean spending habits good credit report and decent saving habits then banks will lend, banks want to lend

Exactly 😅
    I got AIP just yesterday with KBC and they indicated that an exemption is definitely an option if we need one.
    Right now we sit tight as new builds are on hold but yep banks do give AIPs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Our mortgage is set to drawdown tomorrow, we should have keys for Friday. There were final checks completed today, and one question raised to verify the loan amount with solicitor, but it was handled quickly.

Still so much anxiety until we get keys, I won't believe it to be true until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

brianc27 wrote: »

If you have been on Covid payment or wage subsidy they impose extra conditions

Conor1974 wrote: »
    Looking at 2 houses in Malahide.Ea rang a couple of hours ago to tell us the one we where looking at @ €725,000 is now at €810,000 cash.
    The second house @ €750,000 the Ea wouldn’t even entertain us as they are looking for a cash buyer and told us to sell ours and rent and we would have a better chance.Ignorant cow

I would be somewhat skeptical of a vendor that was only interested in cash buyers. Is there a particular reason they don't want banks involved? Has it gone sale agreed previously and is now back on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor1974

I would be somewhat skeptical of a vendor that was only interested in cash buyers. Is there a particular reason they don't want banks involved? Has it gone sale agreed previously and is now back on the market?

She was very rude and told us it belonged to a developer who was only interested in cash.It was for rent last August then it went up for sale before Christmas at €780,000 then it disappeared for a while and now back up for €750,000.It’s unoccupied.
    22 The Avenue Robswall Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Gael23 wrote: »
    If you have been on Covid payment or wage subsidy they impose extra conditions

We were on it, like many others im sure. No extra conditions, just proof that we were no longer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Conor1974 wrote: »
    She was very rude and told us it belonged to a developer who was only interested in cash.It was for rent last August then it went up for sale before Christmas at €780,000 then it disappeared for a while and now back up for €750,000.It’s unoccupied.
    22 The Avenue Robswall Malahide

What was the second house you were looking at if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

First time buyer here, a cash offer has gone in on a property I'm interested in. Do I have any chance of being successful against a cash buyer? I'm thinking of putting a higher offer in.

• Advertisement

First time buyer here, a cash offer has gone in on a property I'm interested in. Do I have any chance of being successful against a cash buyer? I'm thinking of putting a higher offer in.

Sure, if you can outbid them. Since your a FTB and aren't in a chain you don't represent too much risk in terms of going slow.

Advertisement