Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are viewings likely not going to happen until after Easter now?

Shouldnt happen till level 5 ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

omicron wrote: »
    First time buyer here, sale agreed since late October, and contracts signed mid December subject to the vendors purchase of another house going through.
    Since then estimated closing date has been pushed back from early February initially to now saying mid to late April, due to the next house in the chain not being ready. (Not a new build, minor renovations which are apparently still on going despite lockdown) .
    Anything I can do to try speed the whole process up or is it just a case of sit tight and hope it all goes through?
    Annoyingly from the initial viewing and bidding until after we had engineers survey done we were led to believe it was an uncomplicated quick sale.

My vendor has added a similar clause into my contract and my solicitor is not allowing it. It has been sent back with a request for an actual date. I have been sale agreed since end Oct. Feels like forever

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Are viewings likely not going to happen until after Easter now?

If we go back to level 5 viewing will be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If we go back to level 5 viewing will be allowed

So will be allowed after March 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

Have you spoken to your solicitor about it? If you've signed with that as a condition, it seems like you could be in a difficult spot. At the same time, it's not reasonable to expect you to wait indefinitely. Lots of people couldn't wait that long, e.g. if AIP was running out.

Yeah spoke to my solicitor he said theres nothing we can do.
    Loan offer will probably be expired by the time it actually goes through and it's with Ulster so if they pull out we'll have to apply from scratch with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭goingagain

DataDude wrote: »
    Hi all, new to forum and have spent a bit of time trying to find others who have asked the same question but there's a lot of posts! Apologies if this has been answered before!

We are potentially looking to buy a house in the coming weeks/months, with mortgage approval in place. We're FTB'ers so not involved in a chain but also not cash buyers. The segment we are looking in is the €900k - €1.2m range which I have been told before is heavily stacked with cash buyers. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge as to whether we are likely to lose out to cash buyers offering less than us purely because the seller doesn't want to wait on all the additional requirements/delays come with a mortgage purchase (especially in COVID times)? I'm assuming the answer to the above is yes, and if so, would be interested in any anecdotes on whether this is a problem that can be solved with an additional ~€10k or is it much bigger than that?

We are closing tomorrow in the same price range, South Dublin. I don’t think that category is stacked with cash buyers, I think it more trader ups who will be in a chain.

I really wanted a first time buyer for my house as I wanted someone not in a chain and I would have taken a little less for that comfort. In the end a first time buyer was the highest bidder anyway 6-700 k category

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

goingagain wrote: »
    We are closing tomorrow in the same price range, South Dublin. I don’t think that category is stacked with cash buyers, I think it more trader ups who will be in a chain.

I really wanted a first time buyer for my house as I wanted someone not in a chain and I would have taken a little less for that comfort. In the end a first time buyer was the highest bidder anyway 6-700 k category

Totally clueless as to what to expect so appreciate some first hand experiences, thanks! Fingers crossed FTB is a positive more than a negative as you indicate it might be!

Congrats on the purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

Correct me if im wrong but house viewing is not allowed currently? If that's the case how are people here progressing to buying a property? Are you holding fire until the restrictions ease.

Also I've heard murmurings that there will be a fall in prices, is there any good sources this is coming from and what kind of drop is expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Correct me if im wrong but house viewing is not allowed currently? If that's the case how are people here progressing to buying a property? Are you holding fire until the restrictions ease.

Also I've heard murmurings that there will be a fall in prices, is there any good sources this is coming from and what kind of drop is expected?

Viewings are still going on but it varies from EA to EA.

I thought the opposite was happening regarding prices. They're holding or rising given the lack of supply. True where we are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

People are closing a sale that started sometimes up to six months ago. They wouldn’t need to be viewing the house now

• Advertisement

Viewings are still going on but it varies from EA to EA.

I thought the opposite was happening regarding prices. They're holding or rising given the lack of supply. True where we are anyway.

Any estate agent who is holding viewings now is breaking the restrictions, there should be no viewings

bubblypop wrote: »
    Any estate agent who is holding viewings now is breaking the restrictions, there should be no viewings

Aware of that but there are viewings taking place.

Do they expect people to pay a six figure sum fir a house without setting foot inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

omicron wrote: »
    Yeah spoke to my solicitor he said theres nothing we can do.
    Loan offer will probably be expired by the time it actually goes through and it's with Ulster so if they pull out we'll have to apply from scratch with someone else.

We are in a very similar position to you, vendor is buying a brand new home - we are sale agreed since beginning of November, loan offer issued mid November and contracts were sent out with no closing date in December.

Initially we were told January then pushed to February, now hopefully it will be end of March if construction is allowed return March 5th.

Do they expect people to pay a six figure sum fir a house without setting foot inside?

I would imagine the law abiding ones expect people to wait until they can view the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As of January, restrictions stated you could view a property if you had gone sale agreed and were signing contracts.

Not sure if they were changed since, however.
    The new guidelines go further, however, and the guidelines now state online viewings should be the “default approach” and that viewing in person should only take place when contracts are being considered.

“It has also been agreed that online viewings will be the default approach to viewing property for rental or sale, with a physical viewing only permissible at the point where a tenancy agreement is being entered into or where a contract for sale has been drawn up,” the guidance states.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/what-does-the-latest-lockdown-mean-for-property-buyers-and-sellers-1.4456344?

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-market-5318778-Jan2021/

Knex* wrote: »
    As of January, restrictions stated you could view a property if you had gone sale agreed and were signing contracts.

Not sure if they were changed since, however.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/what-does-the-latest-lockdown-mean-for-property-buyers-and-sellers-1.4456344?

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-market-5318778-Jan2021/

No that’s correct. But can you pull out if at the viewing you see something you don’t like?

No that’s correct. But can you pull out if at the viewing you see something you don’t like?

Sale agreed isn't binding

Do you have to pay a deposit to go sale agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, or rather you transfer it as soon as you verbally agree on the sale. It's refundable, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Yes, I went sale agreed last year on a house, paid €7K deposit but pulled out after getting the surveyor's report as it showed a lot of structural issues. Got the deposit refunded in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Do you need to have a solicitor in place at the booking deposit stage? And if so, if we don't go ahead and drop out of the sale, are we still facing solicitor fees for the transaction even after getting the booking deposit refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Do you need to have a solicitor in place at the booking deposit stage? And if so, if we don't go ahead and drop out of the sale, are we still facing solicitor fees for the transaction even after getting the booking deposit refunded?

You don't need one at this point, but it is around this time you should start involving them, as the next step requires one.

I didn't have to pay solicitor fees when I pulled out after having paid booking deposit, and I had involved them at that stage so they would have had some time on the clock anyway, albeit not too much.

I guess they figured I'd be coming back to them sooner or later when I went sale agreed on the next one.

Markitron wrote: »
    You don't need one at this point, but it is around this time you should start involving them, as the next step requires one.
    I didn't have to pay solicitor fees when I pulled out after having paid booking deposit, and I had involved them at that stage so they would have had some time on the clock anyway, albeit not too much.

I guess they figured I'd be coming back to them sooner or later when I went sale agreed on the next one.

That's good to know, thanks a mil! We're just putting through our application today so will hopefully have an AIP in the next week or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

There are definitely viewings going on in Dublin, whether allowed or not. Seems to be dependant on the real estate company.

We went sale agreed before viewing our property. We were allowed in to view and to confirm we were happy, then we sent the deposit and contracts were sent to the solicitor.

Cosle wrote: »
    There are definitely viewings going on in Dublin, whether allowed or not. Seems to be dependant on the real estate company.

We went sale agreed before viewing our property. We were allowed in to view and to confirm we were happy, then we sent the deposit and contracts were sent to the solicitor.

Were there many bidders on the property? Had any bidder viewed it before you went sale agreed?

Did the price go over asking?

Sorry for the all the questions - just hard to get used to idea of bidding on a house without actually viewing it first!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The agent has to write to your solicitor when he accepts the booking deposit.
    Some solicitors do not charge unless the purchase closes. Some insist on being paid for all work.
    It all depends on your agreement with the solicitor. You should have one recommended by someone reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Were there many bidders on the property? Had any bidder viewed it before you went sale agreed?

Did the price go over asking?

Sorry for the all the questions - just hard to get used to idea of bidding on a house without actually viewing it first!

Bidding on one now, was bidding on one two weeks ago.

First House - Maynooth: Asking was 300k, sell price weas 362k. 7 bidders

Second House - Celbrdige: Asking was 315k, high bid at 346k, 3 bidders

Third House - Celbridge: Asking was 315k, high bid at 322k, 6 bidders. That one has a pylon outside though.

All of the above were online viewing only. Im assuming the Maynooth house has been viewed at this stage by the highest bidders.

• Advertisement

The agent has to write to your solicitor when he accepts the booking deposit.
    Some solicitors do not charge unless the purchase closes. Some insist on being paid for all work.
    It all depends on your agreement with the solicitor. You should have one recommended by someone reliable.

Thanks. That's next on our list. We have a few friends who bought in the last year so we'll be looking for recommendations.

Advertisement