Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

givyjoe wrote: »
    They're not going up slowly, which is my point! The bidding wars have exploded since no viewings and the supply is being artificially strangled by the pandemic and there isn't a matching drop in potential buyers, or rather certainly doesn't seem to be. The number of houses (not new builds) going on the market has dropped sharply since the pandemic began.

Right now things are busier for sure but can't see much of a drop off in the pre pandemic rate of increase over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Only fear in all this is the seller is not legally bound to sell you the house until the contracts are signed by both parties.

It happened on one deal we did. Seller was getting ancy and had other offers contacted directly. It was his solicitor that was dragging his feet. got the property but was so anxious.

That is correct, you can sign and the seller delay and pull out

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Looking for opinions here.
    I'm with Ulster Bank and have AIP with them.

There's rumours they're leaving the market, is it worth going for AIP with another bank?
    I assume if UB pull out, it'll be a couple of years, not the next 6-12 months.
    The time it will take to pull out will outlast your 6 month AIP. If you drawdown and they pull out afterwards, whoever buys their loan books will be bound by the terms already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

We had been planing to sell our house in January as we are immigrating . The EA has been staling us due to level 5 but now they are talking to extending level 5 to May. Have anyone ever used these online sellers where you do the showing of the property is it an option ?
    Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭Treppen

Snipp wrote: »
    The time it will take to pull out will outlast your 6 month AIP. If you drawdown and they pull out afterwards, whoever buys their loan books will be bound by the terms already in place.

This is true + it will encourage you to shop around and switch later.
    I would hope though that either way UB will be writing to people to let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

blowin3 wrote: »
    We had been planing to sell our house in January as we are immigrating . The EA has been staling us due to level 5 but now they are talking to extending level 5 to May. Have anyone ever used these online sellers where you do the showing of the property is it an option ?
    Thanks for any help.

Houses are being sold with virtual viewings only, although some EA are not considering offers until physical viewings resume.

Has it been confirmed that the construction sector will not reopen until we go down to
    Level 4?

Thanks for any help.

I think you need a new EA. Decent houses in good locations are selling via virtual viewings alone, in some circumstances going over 100k over asking.

I do think it runs the risk of the buyer pulling out when they actually get to view it but they would have to pay the deposit and start the process of drawing up contracts but the EA should definitely get the ball rolling and advertise the house online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

cisk wrote: »
    I think you need a new EA. Decent houses in good locations are selling via virtual viewings alone, in some circumstances going over 100k over asking.

I do think it runs the risk of the buyer pulling out when they actually get to view it but they would have to pay the deposit and start the process of drawing up contracts but the EA should definitely get the ball rolling and advertise the house online.

Yes but if the seller cannot buy a new house it’s a waste of time

I believe the poster meant to say they were emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

with the right EA, the selling process is moving on fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes but if the seller cannot buy a new house it’s a waste of time

Agree - hence so little stock at the moment. Why would anyone sell now if they're trading up.

different for other poster as they are emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

The market is in a shambles at the moment. I agree with the earlier poster who said the bidding wars have exploded. We are very disillusioned.

I have been dealing with two EA's who are usually very very responsive. A couple of houses have come up in the last couple of weeks (rare, since f*ck all is going up for sale at the moment) and I can't even get a response to my enquiries about them. I am wondering if some EA's have been put on PUP due to the slowness in the market at the moment.

Yes there is the odd house selling by virtual viewing only but there's a house of desperate bidders focusing on those homes without even viewing. There can't be as much work for EA's at the moment as there was.

Surely if you wear a mask and gloves there’s no risk in allowing viewings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Gael23 wrote: »
    Surely if you wear a mask and gloves there’s no risk in allowing viewings

It's like everything really. People still have to go to and from the viewing. That's them getting in their car, breaking the 5k, and conditioning themselvse that it is okay to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's like everything really. People still have to go to and from the viewing. That's them getting in their car, breaking the 5k, and conditioning themselvse that it is okay to do things.

Which they can and will do if they are sale agreed. Which they can and will do if they are caring for a parent etc, which they can and will do if they need to go shopping. Bizarre logic. People aren't mindless drones. There's a list of things you can do that are classed as essential, finding somewhere to live surely comes under that banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The market is in a shambles at the moment. I agree with the earlier poster who said the bidding wars have exploded. We are very disillusioned.

I have been dealing with two EA's who are usually very very responsive. A couple of houses have come up in the last couple of weeks (rare, since f*ck all is going up for sale at the moment) and I can't even get a response to my enquiries about them. I am wondering if some EA's have been put on PUP due to the slowness in the market at the moment.

Yes there is the odd house selling by virtual viewing only but there's a house of desperate bidders focusing on those homes without even viewing. There can't be as much work for EA's at the moment as there was.

That was myself.

Agent just mailed me about this house back on the market, it was sale agreed in December for 327k. This is going to illustrate the point about crazy the market is and I'm going to guess that it goes for in and around 350k. Not to further disillusion you! I do think it will return to somewhat normal restrictions are lifted and we start getting the vaccines out.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

cisk wrote: »
    I believe the poster meant to say they were emigrating.

Thats correct we are moving away to start a new life :)

Thats correct we are moving away to start a new life :)

Best of luck, hopefully it's a more sane housing market where you're going.

Looks like no viewings until Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Sale agreed since November and with these restrictions all but confirmed, now looks like we won't get in until May - depressing news to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Sale agreed since November and with these restrictions all but confirmed, now looks like we won't get in until May - depressing news to say the least.

What is the specific holdup? If you don't mind me asking. I am also sale agreed and I am assuming the bank won't be able to send someone to value the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

Markitron wrote: »
    What is the specific holdup? If you don't mind me asking. I am also sale agreed and I am assuming the bank won't be able to send someone to value the place.

The bank valuer doesn’t have to go in, they just do a drive by, so there should be no delays on that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I am sale agreed on a property that is over 60km from my home.

I am the seller

I still have to remove the contents from the house

Is it allowed for me to drive to the property to remove contents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Markitron wrote: »
    What is the specific holdup? I am also sale agreed and I am assuming the bank won't be able to send someone to value the place.

In a chain and the vendor is buying a brand new home which isn't finished yet. We were due to close in late Jan/early Feb but then construction was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

In a chain and the vendor is buying a brand new home which isn't finished yet. We were due to close in late Jan/early Feb but then construction was stopped.

Ah right, that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sweetaure wrote:
    The bank valuer doesn’t have to go in, they just do a drive by, so there should be no delays on that side.

That's only the case if the initial bank valuation has already taken place but has expired. Both houses I bought and the one I sold required an EA acting on behalf of the bank to go inside the house and carry out an inspection in order to value the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sorolla wrote: »
    I am sale agreed on a property that is over 60km from my home.

I am the seller

I still have to remove the contents from the house

Is it allowed for me to drive to the property to remove contents ?
    Yes.
    Get email or letter from your estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Sorry for the very basic question but how are people actually going about house hunting these days? We’ve just been looking at daft so far. Hoping our AIP will come through soon. Once we get that sorted, is it best to just start emailing/calling estate agents once we see a property we are interested in? What are the important first questions to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

dia squish wrote: »
    Sorry for the very basic question but how are people actually going about house hunting these days? We’ve just been looking at daft so far. Hoping our AIP will come through soon. Once we get that sorted, is it best to just start emailing/calling estate agents once we see a property we are interested in? What are the important first questions to ask?

So once we got our AIP we started emailing and following up via phone
    So far found that 80% of properties we were interested in and showing on myhome is actually sale agreed.
    Especially with like of ray Cooke's auctioneers I noticed.

Ccpc website has a good pdf of questions to ask when viewing etc a house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

Ive seen a few properties that ive liked, they are still being adverstised but what im seeing on the ads is "UNDER OFFER. IF YOU HAVE A SIMILAR PROPERTY TO SELL, PLEASE CONTACT US"

Can I take it that there has been an offer accepted on the property but its up as the seller is still looking for anew home maybe?

Advertisement