Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Thanks, and remind me again does the booking deposit go to the EA or should we have a solicitor at that stage?

Booking deposit goes straight to the EA, it should only be about 2 - 3% of the value of the house. It then gets deducted from the deposit that you pay on signing the contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Last house I viewed I didn't have to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

By the amount of houses that have appearaed today compared to the last 30 days, EA's may have decided that now is the time to start showing them. Not seen as many houses on myhome in Dublin at least in one day in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭thebourke

do you have to be sale agreed on your property before estate agents will accept a bid on a house you are interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

bonkers wrote: »
    By the amount of houses that have appearaed today compared to the last 30 days, EA's may have decided that now is the time to start showing them. Not seen as many houses on myhome in Dublin at least in one day in a while

Getting a lot of alerts too in the last few days. Looks like a lot of houses about to hit the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

can someone expand a bit how to move on if you go sale agreed on your property and looking to upgrade, how to know when buyer will be 100% commited/loan approved ? also how to work out dates without overlap, as in to be out of house and moving into new house before handing house keys over ? or should one consider looking to rent house storage etc in the short term is only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Getting a lot of alerts too in the last few days. Looks like a lot of houses about to hit the market.

Most of them are the same houses that were already available in my alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭ec18

scamalert wrote: »
    can someone expand a bit how to move on if you go sale agreed on your property and looking to upgrade, how to know when buyer will be 100% commited/loan approved ? also how to work out dates without overlap, as in to be out of house and moving into new house before handing house keys over ? or should one consider looking to rent house storage etc in the short term is only solution.

this might help - https://www.auctioneera.ie/buying-selling-a-property-at-the-same-time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

scamalert wrote: »

Just find a house you like. Bid on it. When sale agreed, put your own house on the market (or you can do both at the same time if you want).
    But I would wait until id bought, so I would know where i stood selling where I was already living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Hopefully it continues and increases. I have however had similar spurts in the alerts in last few weeks, only for it drop off a cliff again, at least in my search criteria/areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Got the keys to our house last Tuesday (23rd) after going sale agreed on 5th December. Not too bad considering lockdown etc. but I am so relieved and glad to finally be done with the whole purchasing process! It's amazing how much great advice and feedback there is on this forum (especially compared to other parts of Boards :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Pretty frustrating hearing the advice to wait a few years to buy and stay in the rental sector. I've been evicted 3 times in the last 3 years, including twice during the pandemic. All landlords looking to move back in or sell (which is of course their right) but I'm just looking for a bit of security. Plus a mortgage for a whole apartment would be significantly cheaper than the rent I am currently paying for a room in a shared house with three others.

Willing to pay a fair price for a one-bed apartment but the investors don't seem to be deterred by the price increases and it's difficult to compete with that.

Hard not to feel discouraged, really. Got outbid for the second time last week because things were getting to a level I wasn't comfortable with. I suppose time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Pretty frustrating hearing the advice to wait a few years to buy and stay in the rental sector

yes it's very galling as the ones who push this suggestion are generally those who aren't aware of the massive uncertainty that renting brings. I fail to see how paying e.g. 1600 a month for rent makes any sort of financial sense when a mortgage on the same house will be 50%/60% of that (even with the inflated bids we are seeing lately!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Has anyone any experience with purchasing a house from a bank? I've been made aware by the EA of a house I'm interested in bidding on that it's a bank repossession, are these more complicated than private seller sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Has anyone any experience with purchasing a house from a bank? I've been made aware by the EA of a house I'm interested in bidding on that it's a bank repossession, are these more complicated than private seller sales?

It depends on the banks actual involvement and a number of other factors.
    Generally however (depending on above variable) they can take longer to go through, but not necessarily "more complicated" - but it would again depend on the variables.

dkav9 wrote: »
    yes it's very galling as the ones who push this suggestion are generally those who aren't aware of the massive uncertainty that renting brings. I fail to see how paying e.g. 1600 a month for rent makes any sort of financial sense when a mortgage on the same house will be 50%/60% of that (even with the inflated bids we are seeing lately!!).

i suppose it depends on their circumstances, I pay 1600 a month rent at the moment, but I have a large amount of money waiting to buy my next house.
    If there was to be a big drop in prices I could be better off to wait a bit longer.

Right now, I don't believe that there is any value in the Dublin market, there appears to be a lot of panic buying going on. I will wait a while until things get a bit calmer, and covid has stopped being an influence.
    I am lucky though, its very hard for people paying large rents and trying to save while watching prices go up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

givyjoe wrote: »
    Hopefully it continues and increases. I have however had similar spurts in the alerts in last few weeks, only for it drop off a cliff again, at least in my search criteria/areas.

Let's all hope its sustained and isnt all just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

kippy wrote: »
    It depends on the banks actual involvement and a number of other factors.
    Generally however (depending on above variable) they can take longer to go through, but not necessarily "more complicated" - but it would again depend on the variables.

I know there has been a bidder involved for quite a while now (over a year) but it seems they are not budging on their offer and the EA told me the bank has rejected it. It went up for sale today.

Look up receiver house sales. There's a couple of big catches, particularly if part of the house has needed planning, extensions etc. Apparently the onus to ensure everything is in order rests with the buyer, not the seller. Was looking at one myself until I had a Google of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

153 days from sale agreed to keys ! Stressful right to the end! I was going into the house while the vendors were still clearing their stuff from the front

but I did it!

Nearly 50, single and I have just bought a house in Meath by the beach

Not an easy process but with a great solicitor and a great mortgage broker ( that I did pay but was worth every penny! ) I did it and am now a homeowner

Was having a look through Auctioneera earlier, this has to be mistake.. or someone really has lost their mind. Only 2 previous sales on this street (on property register), the highest being half of this asking price, the other this house.. bought for 240k in 2014, the other last year for 380. :eek:

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was having a look through Auctioneera earlier, this has to be mistake.. or someone really has lost their mind. Only 2 previous sales on this street (on property register), the highest being half of this asking price, the other this house.. bought for 240k in 2014, the other last year for 380. :eek:

The glass panel doors into the bedrooms are an... interesting concept...?

awec wrote: »
    The glass panel doors into the bedrooms are an... interesting concept...?

The whole place is fairly classy :pac: .

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Had seen that before. It's been up for a while, at 750k. Something extremely suspect about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Had seen that before. It's been up for a while, at 750k. Something extremely suspect about it.

very glitzy indeed :pac::

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 pearsebhoy

Gael23 wrote: »

unbelievable. we're applying for the rebuilding ireland homeloan. how the **** are we supposed to buy a house that is MAX 250k if every single ****ing house goes for tens of thousands over listing price?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

At what point is deal done....no looking back?
    Solicitor has signed on my behalf.
    Contracts have gone to seller.
    Bank has been informed of draw down day in 2 weeks. Bank has signed off.
    I've paid my full balance as well as stamp duty and solicitor fees.

Can I let go of this worry of all going pear shaped yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Do banks take into account your fuel costs.

I'm on 50K and spend roughly 100 euro a week on diesel.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Do banks take into account your fuel costs.

I'm on 50K and spend roughly 100 euro a week on diesel.

Thanks

All expenses will be taken into account. Its mainly how much you have left at the end of the month that will interest them.

Advertisement