Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

At what point is deal done....no looking back?
    Solicitor has signed on my behalf.
    Contracts have gone to seller.
    Bank has been informed of draw down day in 2 weeks. Bank has signed off.
    I've paid my full balance as well as stamp duty and solicitor fees.

Can I let go of this worry of all going pear shaped yet?
    Let go of the worry. Youve done everything you can. If i were as far as you I wouldn't worry at all, you'll soon have the keys.

Proof, I think, that things have gone mad! This house in cabra, done lovely, was 450,000, Now asking 495,000.
    Its a lovely house, but it's a 2 bed ex council house in cabra, no nice views, not near anything particularly. Will probably go for higher, over half a million for this is crazy!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/62-newgrange-road-cabra-dublin-7/4490824

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

bubblypop wrote: »
    Proof, I think, that things have gone mad! This house in cabra, done lovely, was 450,000, Now asking 495,000.
    Its a lovely house, but it's a 2 bed ex council house in cabra, no nice views, not near anything particularly. Will probably go for higher, over half a million for this is crazy!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/62-newgrange-road-cabra-dublin-7/4490824

Just read that again , a 2 bed! What in the world !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

In fairness it's more Phibsboro and renovated plus has added buildings outside. Agree on the crazy market though

With construction open again we've been told that keys could be within two months

Aside from that obvious break the whole thing couldnt have gone much smoother tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Hoping to get some advice here on a new build as i'm fairly green to the whole thing. Basically i have a site and i'm just wondering on what my next steps are.

Is it straight to looking for planning and if so do i need to get plans drawn up first? Just seems kind of odd to draw up plans first if planning is rejected?

Or should you consult a bank/broker first to see if you can get a mortgage and for what amount? Cause this will obviously affect what type of house you can build?

I'm sure these are fairly silly questions but as i said...... green:D

Also, i take it i could possibly use my site as a deposit for a mortgage in lieu of cash; is this the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Supply and demand, can see prices only going up. Same down in Cork went sale agreed on Thursday was bidding on one few weeks ago, starting price was €450 now at €615

liam7831 wrote: »
    Supply and demand, can see prices only going up. Same down in Cork went sale agreed on Thursday was bidding on one few weeks ago, starting price was €450 now at €615

Oh yeah? Prices will go up forever will they?!!!!
    Now, when did I hear that before.......

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

liam7831 wrote: »

Those bidders need to take a long, hard look at themselves. Beggars belief that someone can be in the market for a 450k house but can stretch to 615k in a frantic bidding war. Where is that house?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Be interested to see if it actually sells for that or if it's just people acting the bollocks looking for a viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

we are buying a house. we went sale agreed on a house in south dublin.
    the bidding has been crazy - people are bidding without seeing the house. we got to see only 2 houses - 1 of them the agent shouldn't have shown us but did. because of that i think there were a lot more bids and competition for it vs if the agent hadn't shown it. cause it was an exception vs other properties that way. its bids rose about 95k before it went sale agreed.
    on the house we went for, the bids rose 75k from asking price before it went sale agreed.
    we might've acted in separation maybe but the situation hasn't been great because sellers have even more power nowadays. buyers are bidding randomly over the phone even if they haven't seen the house or calculated a right bid. so bids have to keep jumping up. at the end, the person who is seriously interested to buy needs to pay a lot more.
    houses also seem to go sale agreed just so the buyer can come see - maybe.
    we could only see the house for 15mins and based on that decide a $$$ decision.
    lastly, there are some new builds, where the houses are being sold on the basis of a mere virtual video and a 4-page brochure - no showhouse, no boots on the ground, no realistic timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

So say for example a house with an asking price went for 320 went sale agreed for 350, and then that fell through, would it go back on the market at the asking price or the higher sale agreed rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 K.Hawksworth

So say for example a house with an asking price went for 320 went sale agreed for 350, and then that fell through, would it go back on the market at the asking price or the higher sale agreed rate?

From my own experience lately, they most definitely relist at the higher price. Have seen 2 examples of this in the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That’s 2007 level of insanity.

I’d struggle to see how banks have confidence to mortgage properties valued like that

• Registered Users Posts: 30 K.Hawksworth

Oh yeah? Prices will go up forever will they?!!!!
    Now, when did I hear that before.......

It's naive to think circumstances in the market are similar now to 2007/08. They are radically different in every possible way. People have been talking about another crash for the last 5-6 years now. I don't see it happening any time soon. We all have to live somewhere, maybe if rents weren't at extortionate levels that might be an alternative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Smiley11 wrote: »
    Those bidders need to take a long, hard look at themselves. Beggars belief that someone can be in the market for a 450k house but can stretch to 615k in a frantic bidding war. Where is that house?

Well these would be the same people, that will whinge when they are in negative equality in few years and will want the government to help them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Smiley11 wrote: »

4 bed detached on half acre 30mins from city towards Macroom , its online bidding so easy to track it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KBH2020

A lot are definitely going back on market for the higher price that was previously "agreed". I don't understand why the agent thinks the sale agreed price is viable when there is a good chance that the bidders withdrew based on concluding the property was not worth the amount they agreed. I really don't think this practice should be allowed. How can anyone say exactly what they would be willing to pay for a property without actually seeing it. I'd say more than half the properties we have been looking at online have gone sale agreed and then come back up on Daft.

Does anyone know is there scope to renegotiate after seeing the property in person? e.g. say you go sale agreed at 440k after a virtual viewing but when you see the property you feel it is not worth this. If you change your bid are the sellers likely to just go to another party who had bid a higher amount, given the current market conditions? Is the "sale agreed" price negotiable at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

It's naive to think circumstances in the market are similar now to 2007/08. They are radically different in every possible way. People have been talking about another crash for the last 5-6 years now. I don't see it happening any time soon. We all have to live somewhere, maybe if rents weren't at extortionate levels that might be an alternative option.

I would argue its incredibly naive to think 'this time its different'.

People are buying some new builds without even a video or brochure, just a written description (subject to change).

Houses are selling sight unseen for 100k + over asking regularly.

There is a chronic shortage of skilled tradesman. People are buying wrecks with no idea of renovation costs.

We have huge unemployment and a wave of liquidations waiting to hit.

To make the biggest purchase of your life with a 30 year payback at least, sight unseen, is crazy.

Theres a crazy hysteria at the moment just like the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Podge10

I was speaking to an EA last week who said they got word that viewings would be starting again from the 12th. She seemed a bit vague though and I can’t find this mentioned anywhere else online. Has anybody else heard similar? Has this been confirmed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys (and Gals)- this thread was created specifically for those who are in the process of buying or selling property. We already have a 2021 Property thread- and numerous other threads on various other topics. Please only post in here if you are actively buying or selling property. If you're not- use the 2021 Property thread- or post somewhere pertinent to what you're posting.

Podge10 wrote: »
    I was speaking to an EA last week who said they got word that viewings would be starting again from the 12th. She seemed a bit vague though and I can’t find this mentioned anywhere else online. Has anybody else heard similar? Has this been confirmed?

Would imagine its part and parcel of home construction opening again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Would imagine its part and parcel of home construction opening again
    someone who is sale agreed and looking to buy, this cant come soon enough goverment dicking around with restrictions is making complete mess of current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9

Podge10 wrote: »

yes i had an EA tell me that he would be able to show the property from the 12th. thankfully it seems that they won't be taking bids until at least after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

dkav9 wrote: »
    yes i had an EA tell me that he would be able to show the property from the 12th. thankfully it seems that they won't be taking bids until at least after that.

I went sale agreed after just 4 days on the market. The EA asked if the 2 most active bidders could view the house in person I said no problem. The sale was agreed one hour after the physical viewing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Has anyone got experience with RSU stock as additional income, AIB and PTSB won't consider them as part of the 3.5x or in consideration of an exemption. As I make an additional 30k each year from the RSU stocks I thought they would at least be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Does anyone here has experience buying a place directly from seller? For what I can see in daft and myhome everything seems to be through a EA and that seems to increase the price a bit so I was wondering if selling directly is not common practice in Ireland?

I am really not up for much bidding anymore, it just too crazy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

Ladybird25 wrote: »
    Does anyone here has experience buying a place directly from seller? For what I can see in daft and myhome everything seems to be through a EA and that seems to increase the price a bit so I was wondering if selling directly is not common practice in Ireland?

I am really not up for much bidding anymore, it just too crazy at the moment.

I sold my first house without estate agent. Just put the word out with friends and family I was looking to move. Friend of a friend bought it in the end after about two weeks. Was just a case of giving them my solicitors details. Didn’t use online, sometimes family and friends like to live close to each other so putting the word out can have a big effect. Selling again and everyone is telling me about houses near them that are for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a solicitor to receive contracts after going sale agreed?
    I'm over two weeks sale agreed and my solicitor has heard nothing so far.
    I know all sales are different but I'm excited/impatient and just wondering if there is a standard timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a solicitor to receive contracts after going sale agreed?
    I'm over two weeks sale agreed and my solicitor has heard nothing so far.
    I know all sales are different but I'm excited/impatient and just wondering if there is a standard timeframe.

Mine was about 10 days

Advertisement