Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Only problem is there are probably a lot of people waiting the same as you are and then it will be a stampede :)

Yep aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cintec wrote: »
    It might not be the bank, the buyer could be slow to respond to requests for documents/information.

Do people bid when they only have a verbal agreement with the banks?
    I have been waiting for the banks to finish my application before bidding.

I doubt it's the buyer, who's a CPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TetrisLover

Decided not to check daft for couple of months. There was an apartment in poor condition I saw on daft only a couple of weeks ago which I enquired about but it was already sale agreed. I now see the apartment being rented out for just under 1700...

It's very disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭theflash

Sale agreed for the 3rd time, first 2 fell through. Didn't sell my place quick enough for the 1st, 2nd one the seller couldn't find a place.
    Was thinking threes a charm, then mortgage approval with kbc lapsed before contracts signed. Had to reapply.
    KBC are now looking at going straight to loan offer (because we're sale agreed and my place is sale agreed) which I never heard of.
    Anyone ever go down this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Only problem is there are probably a lot of people waiting the same as you are and then it will be a stampede :)

I agree, a lot of people seem to be waiting for more property to come on the market, but a lot of these properties will have their owners needing to buy too, which unfortunately won't lead to much of a net increase in property availability.

Also, there are a lot of people currently renting who want to buy and are waiting till lockdown levels are lowered. Meaning that we will probably end up with less availability on the market.

The fact that new builds are way behind target is the big problem, and the construction industry will take a long time to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Been sale agreed for over 2 months and just been told that BOI have put a hold on exemptions, which they told me I qualified for. Now the sale is probably gonna fall through as I start again with another lender. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Markitron wrote: »
    Been sale agreed for over 2 months and just been told that BOI have put a hold on exemptions, which they told me I qualified for. Now the sale is probably gonna fall through as I start again with another lender. FML.

Feck, I am in the exact same boat. Every week being told "no exemptions this week, try back next week".

So I guess I'll get the bad news.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Feck, I am in the exact same boat. Every week being told "no exemptions this week, try back next week".

So I guess I'll get the bad news.

Yea its ****e, especially with the way BOI work when they will only consider you for an exemption AFTER you go sale agreed on a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I'm really sorry to hear that, that sounds awful. Thanks for sharing though, we're in a somewhat similar boat being told "we can't give you the exemption now but don't worry, you'll get it 100%".

Promises aren't worth anything. But not sure what you can do these days with the apparent approach of only offering exemptions after going sale agreed?
    Probably too late for you now, but for what it's worth, I do know someone who got an exemption in advance by going direct with PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭ec18

Yea its ****e, especially with the way BOI work when they will only consider you for an exemption AFTER you go sale agreed on a house.

well like all mortgages are only actually approved after you go sale agreed?

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    well like all mortgages are only actually approved after you go sale agreed?

No, other places will tell you that you have an exemption from the AIP stage, or maybe just after. If BOI had said no exemption from the get go I would have gone with another lender or not gone sale agreed on the house.
    DataDude wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to hear that, that sounds awful. Thanks for sharing though, we're in a somewhat similar boat being told "we can't give you the exemption now but don't worry, you'll get it 100%".

Yea its the stringing you along that's the worst, they should just say no and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

No, other places will tell you that you have an exemption from the AIP stage, or maybe just after. If BOI had said no exemption from the get go I would have gone with another lender or not gone sale agreed on the house.

KBC told us you need a specific address after AIP for exception but that was back in Feb
    We didn't end up needing one so don't know how it actually works with them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah. This is proper crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Podge10

Just on the an estate agent there. They are really frustrated at this stage regarding viewings. They’re hoping to hear by the end of the week regarding viewings from Monday. Communication and clarity on all of this seems to be really poor. Given it’s Thursday afternoon already it’s not looking good. Next stop May?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Damn, that’s really **** to hear. I’m just starting the application process with BoI and my advisor told me yesterday an exemption shouldn’t be a problem if I go sake agreed. Guess that’s not true anymore.

Can you get AIP from several banks at a time? Or do you have to choose one you want to go with?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jasna1982 wrote: »
    Can you get AIP from several banks at a time? Or do you have to choose one you want to go with?

I think it can lead to awkward questions as it shows up in your credit report. Having a "yeah sorry, I was playing the field but your rates are the best and it's you I want to commit to I swear" conversation with a mortgage advisor at the moment after credit check showed up AIP from another bank.

If you want to do it by the book, you can go through a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I've never seen prices like they are at the moment

Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Yes. We had 3 x AIP: Kbc, Ptsb, EBS.
    Each offered us different AIP amounts and interest rates.
    So we could pick and choose who we wanted to go with.
    We applied directly to each bank and did NOT use a Broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 byron55

Damn, that’s really **** to hear. I’m just starting the application process with BoI and my advisor told me yesterday an exemption shouldn’t be a problem if I go sake agreed. Guess that’s not true anymore.

We have AIP with BOI and PTSB currently - neither asked about whether we applied elsewhere (though I did admit it in a survey BOI sent me after we got AIP). I think it's a good thing to do as each bank is different. Our AIP lasts 12m with BOI but just 6m with PTSB, so it's a little extra security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭ec18

They will tell that you may have an exemption but anyone who tells you that you have an exemption before you've gotten to the offer letter/drawdown stage and the underwriters have gone over it which needs an actual address or sale agreed was over selling......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

cintec wrote: »
    Has anyone got experience with RSU stock as additional income, AIB and PTSB won't consider them as part of the 3.5x or in consideration of an exemption. As I make an additional 30k each year from the RSU stocks I thought they would at least be considered.

No direct experience but can't see banks taking them into consideration as they are unvested. Once vested you still need to sell them and pay the income tax on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

In the middle of our first bidding war (house is up 15k over asking since yesterday afternoon), all by email, the EA seems to be coming back at half-day intervals with an update, can't get him on the phone so email seems to be the only way to reach him. Is this normal? This is in independent estate agent, so no bidding portals. Should I be more aggressive in contacting?

We're reaching our limit as there will be a bit to be done in the house, it's rented at the moment (according to the EA the landlord has a good relationship with the tenants and he expects them to be out within the next month or so), hoping that might put other bidders off to give us more of a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

Hi all.
    Thought we were close to completing our purchase but our solicitor has said that the vendors want us to sign the contracts but they want to put in a clause to state that they can pull out of the sale if they don't find anywhere.
    Even though the estate agent was adamant they had somewhere to go even if they didn't find a house.
    Is this normal? Solicitor was hoping to get us in next week to sign the contracts. And now we're feeling a bit lost and disheartened.

Any advise?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

extrafluff wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Thought we were close to completing our purchase but our solicitor has said that the vendors want us to sign the contracts but they want to put in a clause to state that they can pull out of the sale if they don't find anywhere.
    Even though the estate agent was adamant they had somewhere to go even if they didn't find a house.
    Is this normal? Solicitor was hoping to get us in next week to sign the contracts. And now we're feeling a bit lost and disheartened.

Any advise?
    Thanks.

That's outrageous! They want you to be on the hook for a contract that they can get out of? I wouldn't even entertain that.

Starting to think it’s hitting peak madness and should plateau out soon. One bad example in an area im looking.

Under bidded on a house that was 325. “Investor” came in, offered 10k over us at asking. Game over. Sale agreed. Only two bidders since October. House in poor condition but good potential. (I say “investor” because I actually know of the person who bid)

Terraced house, nearly 100m sq appears on daft recently. 350k. Fair price. Lovely house, location, well done up.

Sale of the first house around the corner falls through. Agent sets the house at 350k. Size, location, condition, garden all significantly worse then the second house. But listed at 350 anyway because ‘that’s what the demand in the area is’.

Disheartened but I can see some easing in a month or two with less ridiculousness going on when people can actually see inside a house before bidding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Disheartened but I can see some easing in a month or two with less ridiculousness going on when people can actually see inside a house before bidding up.

Honestly I'd love to see the look on the faces of people who bought without even seeing the property.
    Some awful looking places around that are sale agreed at mad money.

Property went up for sale near us recently and it's sold within a few weeks. Pictures on daft were lovely, but the as failed to mention the house was 10 metres from a busy national road.

I really hope the buyer had the good sense to see this, but you'd wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Hello,
    Looking to buy a new build with Sherryfitz, received an email about reserving a home , there’s a good few new builds coming up in this phase.I booked the appointment which is through zoom. It says provide a copy of funds, solicitor name and 5k to book house on the day.

This is all new to me. Does anyone have experience of this? Is it a private zoom with just myself and the agent ?
    Thanks

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi all.

Any advise?
    Thanks.

Tell them to take a hike.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Honestly I'd love to see the look on the faces of people who bought without even seeing the property.
    Some awful looking places around that are sale agreed at mad money.

Property went up for sale near us recently and it's sold within a few weeks. Pictures on daft were lovely, but the as failed to mention the house was 10 metres from a busy national road.

I really hope the buyer had the good sense to see this, but you'd wonder.

I’d hope no one bought without seeing anyway. There’s definitely going to be people who overpaid 50k due to the viewing and bidding process. Was it worth it for them? Maybe it was.

Whether or not asking prices continue to rise remains to be seen, but I do think (or hope) that bidding settles down soon enough and sale prices start to come back towards the asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Hi all.

Any advise?
    Thanks.

Avoid at all costs. They can close at a time of their choice, lead you on as long as they want, pull out if they want.

They can watch the market over time - if it goes up, they'll pull out of the sale. If it goes down, you're forced to close. In stock market terms its a free put option for them on the house. Disaster.

Advertisement