Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Sorry if this isn't the correct place, but said I'd stick it in here instead of opening a new thread.

If Mortgage + deposit won't cover the total cost of house, what if the story with transferring the remaining amount? Will my solicitor request the balance from the bank and they transfer it, or do I need to arrange a transfer? I have been on to the bank but haven't got an answer yet.

€10000 is the daily transfer limit for AIB I believe if I were to transfer it myself which old be very messy

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Is it your own money coming from your bank account? If your solicitor agrees to it you can do the transfer over multiple days. This is what I did myself. My bank (PTSB) had a daily online transfer limit of €5,000, and I had to give my solicitor something like €12,000, so I asked her could I transfer it over the course of three days. She said she would have to check with somebody else, and then she did and informed me that it was no problem.

If it's something you could do yourself over the course of a few days, and your solicitor agrees to it, then I would say do that. If it's going to take longer than that to do individual 10k transfers then I'd say head into your local bank branch and get them to transfer the whole amount in there (which I assume is possible as long as you have all the correct documentation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I needed to transfer 70,000 to solicitor so went to the bank branch and they transferred the full amount. If I remember correctly, if done early enough in the day they will recieve on same day and if not then next morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Thanks for the 2 replies guys, yes its my own money. Just wasn't 100% sure of the process. But sounds like the handiest thing is to go to my local branch when the time comes. Which hopefully won't be too much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Sale agreed.

Got plumber to inspect house, looks like oil boiler is shagged and a water pump, some other bits.

Circa 5k to sort out.

What do I do with the quote?

Who do I contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Tell the estate agent that you want to lower your offer amount by the amount of the quote if that's the road you want to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Is that the road I should go, heating is a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭droidman123

Go into your branch and transfer the money,its transferred to your solicitors account in minutes.just jave your solicitors iban/bic number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

It depends on the value of the house, your funds, and the level of interest. If it's your "forever home" is it worth the 5k.

Yeah, I personally would. Some will advise against it in a sellers market as the seller can say they'll go with the under bidder.

But I'd think it's worth a shot tbh. Unless your vendor is a bit mad, they'd likely just say no rather than calling off the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

If the boiler was clearly old and near end of life cycle it's not likely to be deemed reasonable by seller. I bought a house that was modestly refurbished 10 years prior. Boiler (gas) was clearly not new and likely near end of cycle. So I didnt reduce price for that. But house had been rewired. Electrical survey we did showed up was cowboy job and needed redoing. That couldnt have been known pre bidding. So we took cost off price. Agent got pissy with us but agreed. Tbh in hindsight I should have negotiated more off given other issues that turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Hi, asking for a friend, this has been posted before but I wouldn't know when to search back to.. can anyone recommend a Life Insurance broker (by private message if necessary) that will cover mortgage protection for someone with diabetes and other health issues? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

Lions.ie is really good if you have any health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Yes that's the one I've seen mentioned before just couldn't remember, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭spalpeen

Are we thinkiing mortgage rates will go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anyone know if it's usual for a solicitor to hand over your title deeds to a buyers solicitor and their banks solcitors, months prior to them even signing contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

Looking at buying a house in D8, it'll need work I know but I'm not sure how much. I need a surveyor (I think) to check if there's anything serious, such as new roof... then a builder (I think) to give a rough idea of what else will be needed.

My amateur view is that it's cosmetic but I could be way off the mark. I can see a new kitchen and bathroom are needed and old wardrobes need ripping out and repacing.

We'd need to get a survey done before we sign contracts? But I'd also want a rough idea of cost from a builder.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

PM'ed you earlier but re: the builder, if you have a pal or a contact who could visit for 30 mins they may give you a steer. We got a good steer from the Surveyor too on basic costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

i need more useful friends… any builders in Dublin 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Hontou

Just bought an apartment. Between sale agreed and keys took only 12 weeks. I believe this was a fast process considering: Covid delays, Christmas holiday delays, issues highlighted by the survey, management company delays on insurance paperwork, and delays on mortgage approval. I think the solicitors were very efficient on both sides. There was no chain on either side either, but still a quick process, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We're hoping to get keys to our house in the west tomorrow and if we do it will also be exactly 12 weeks since we went sale agreed. Again, no chain on either side.

I have been sale agreed for a fixer upper rural house and a good bit of land and it's been more than 12 months and I havent been paid. My solicitor has instructions to demand the contracts be returned if they haven't paid by end of tomorrow.

Anyone with cash and deep pockets want a truly amazing property for the price of a Dublin apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Been sale agreed for 3 months now on my apartment to sell and our house to buy. Held up by retention planning which apparently the vendor wasnt aware of. Very frustrating.

The planning system sucks and is way too restrictive and confers far to much power on councils. The government have even run afoul of this bag of excrement themselves as they have had to write special legislation to force councils to allow solar panels on roofs and now small wind turbines. Sticking plaster fixes instead of re-writing the legislation as they should have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Just got word today that we're due to move in to our new build at the end of April. It got held up at the end of last year due to a spat between the developer and ESB Networks but looks to be sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Currently bidding on two homes in Artane and beaumont . Went in at asking on first house counterbid came in 5,000 more . I’m not willing to bid in 5,000 and raised by 1,000 they raised by 5,000 again. Did this 3 times so far and a third bidder did the same

second house I came in mid way through bidding process again other bidder is raising by degrees of 5,000. Madness . Feel like giving up

The increments you bid in don't matter though. People bid up to their limit, be that in 3 x 5,000 increments or 15 x 1,000 increments.

I would assume that any house within the m50 in Dublin is going to go at least 20k over asking so readjust the properties you bid on accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I bought at asking price within the m50 so it’s not automatic but certainly the method of bidding doesn’t matter.

if you’re outbid by 1,000 or 10,000, the result is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Thanks for the advise I’m well aware what property’s are going for over asking price ! Asking was 495 it’s now 548 with a jump of 14 on one bid

• Advertisement

House I bid on went for 14% over asking. An awful time to be buying.

But a worse time to be renting is what I keep telling myself!

Advertisement