Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Thanks, I know it’ll be no issue but we’re anxious all the same. We bought a new build 7 years ago and it was plain sailing. This is a different kettle of fish altogether with a triple chain!

Asked the EA over a week ago just after we got the receipt for our booking deposit to see when the owner would let our engineer in to do the survey! Nothing back!! It was the same with the viewing. Took 3 weeks to view the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eddie2008

From following this thread, I think you are in a chain. Did your solicitor advise how much of a deposit you will need to pay at contract signing? This is usually 10% of house value less the estate agent booking deposit. It will be needed in cash and is separate from banking rules, some people get confused by this.

It is not unusual for those in a chain and reliant on equity to receive a gift for the booking deposit and contract deposit, and I wouldn't worry. The bank know it will be refunded when the sale closes. This deposit at contract signing is sometimes overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Our buyers surveyor said the same thing. House was old with a bit of damp through the old stone wall on one side of the house that we never ever noticed any effect from. They asked for us to drop the price by the cost of repair. I asked our surveyor about that when he was doing the survey on the house we bought and he said it was perfectly normal for an old house and wouldnt cause an issue so we shouldnt pay for it to be repaired. Buyer could buy house and never get it repaired and it would still be fine. So we refused. They came back again looking for 50%. We refused again. Then they said ok and went ahead and bought the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Selling a second home and everything has gone extremely smoothly so far (don't want to jinx it). Sale agreed after 15 days of it going up for sale on Daft, just shy of 10% over asking price. 5 weeks and 2 days later our solicitors have gotten stuff back from the buyers solicitor with no issues after everything such as surveys completed, so all is looking good. Very happy so far with the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

It feels amazing that all the future planning and fantasizing I tried so hard not to do I can now actually put into action. I can't imagine being in the process longer than the 12 weeks - we had a couple of bumps along the way and I thought I was going to crack up from the stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

A pm with a recommendation for survey of apartment in Clane area would be great.

Has anyone had experience with a removal and storage company? Ball park figure to how much it costs? I’ve careline calling to do a survey next Tuesday to see how much it’ll cost etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Finally got our keys at 4.30 today after going sale agreed on the house on Easter Sunday. Over the moon to finally be in, feels surreal it's all over! The admin has become like a second job over the past 3 weeks.

To answer the question above, we had a removal company where we had packed and disassembled everything, they arrive to remove and store overnight and delivered today for 1300. Moving from a 3 bed house with 3 beds, table and chairs, units etc. Adding in the company to pack and disassemble would have roughly doubled that amount. Lots of stress with any option but definitely glad we weren't packing up van loads of stuff and doing it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

We got quotes from a few removal companies that were really expensive, up to €2k for removal and storage. Mad money.

Ended up finding a man + truck on Adverts.ie for €70 an hour. Pack and disassemble everything in advance, load up the truck and go

****, that’s a serious amount! I counted what furniture we’ll be bringing it’s not a whole pile, we’re leaving the appliances as well. It’ll be interesting to see what he says next Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

We got 4 moving quotes recently, all came in around 2k for packing and same-day move of a 3 bed house in Dublin (we have a lot of stuff). If we did the packing ourselves it would be a good bit cheaper, but we've small kids and no time off work so it's the only option for us. We've hired a van and did it ourselves back when we were renting and it's far more cost effective but that's not realistic for us now.

Worth noting that storage itself is cheap but a two-part move (i.e if they have to take your stuff, offload it to storage and then redeliver it another day) is almost double the price of a same day move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Hi, after going Sale Agreed, how long does it usually take for vendor's Solicitor to send the required documents and titles to the buyer's solicitor?

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Anyone else's Final Loan offer from BOI painfully slow coming through and find they are asking ridiculous questions?

Latest delay is they are enquiring as to why I've a decrease in spending in the last month, I would have thought this was a good thing if anything.

Both our buyers (first one fell through) were with BOI and they had nothing but problems and delays all the way through. Our first buyer had 2 months of queries from BOI and in the end they wouldn't lend him the amount they had approved in principle, and our sale fell through which cost us a huge amount of time effort and money.

We went with PTSB for our mortgage as our broker had warned us off BOI (even though they had the best rates at the time) as their service levels are awful

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Jesus that's not too encouraging! Funds are in the account to easily cover deposit and all associated fees so really don't see what the issue is, potentially it may be because I was using Revolut a lot more lately as I was abroad for a wedding last month but that's being extremely picky if that's the case

If there are no obvious issues then I wouldn't worry too much, it's just that they seem to be a lot fussier (and slower) than other banks

How have people found EBS to deal with when it’s comes to the loan offer?

we’ve AIP with and the process was grand, a few queries that took a few weeks to iron out but got there

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

We are in the process of buying a house. Contracts signed and loan offer gone back to mortgage company. Can anyone tell me if the mortgage company looks for an up to date payslip before releasing funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Yes, in my experience most, if not all, do. My other half is public sector and they only asked for a payslip for me, but reading in forums and groups that seems standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They were slow back in October/November 2022 with me, sometimes I thought they were asking me query's similar to this just to stall or draw out the communication process for inconsequential purposes as they were waiting for some internal process to finish - they could have some internal metrics going on so they bounce back query's like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

3 weeks and no reply from vendors solicitor, they're holding up the sale of the house and are going to be responsible for us having to take interest rate hikes, absolutely infuriating. Solicitors and estate agents are cut from the same cloth. Useless.

Being in the information vortex and getting no updates can be a nightmare alright, especially now with interest rates rising.

Try to keep hounding the estate agents as well as your own solicitor so they try to push things along, or at least get an accurate update on where things are at.

If there are genuine reasons for delays people will generally be fine, it's not knowing what's going on that does people's head in. Solicitors don't seem to understand this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Approach the EA, they're your line to the vendor. It's possible they're wondering what the delay is also.

Twice I contacted the vendors EA when things came to a halt, within 24 hours of making the call things started moving again.

As you said, infuriating, especially with the costs it incurs with rate rises.

Question!

a condition on our loan offer is going to be that we clear our credit card, credit union loan and bank loan. Our solicitor is to provide an undertaking to fully discharge of these. Does that mean she pays them for us from the equity of our or we do it and she just confirms this to the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Solicitor should advise as they are the ones giving undertaking to bank. I can only assume as it is back to back deals your solicitor will be drawing down to their client ac. They will undertake to bank to hold it and only release to vendor to buy house on basis those facilities are cleared. So I believe your solicitor will want control then of proceeds of house sale to ensure funds used to pay off those debts and then they'll release balance to you (if any surplus beyond what is needed to complete purchase). Your solicitor should advise on all this

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Yeah we did already, were told solicitor was short staffed...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spudrick

I’m buying a new build house, it was just about complete but some last minute things came up on site and it’s been delayed by about a month.

In the meantime my loan offer is about to expire a month from now and I’ll probably need to apply for an extension, which I hadn’t expected to be the case.

I was told this is a formality if your circumstances haven’t changed, but I have concerns that we’ve spent large amounts of money in the last few weeks related to the new house - ordering furniture etc - which I know we can afford and we have the savings we need to complete the deal and the income going forward to cover the mortgage, but I’m worried the bank will just look through our last few months statements and see more going out than coming in and refuse an extension on this basis.

Has anyone been through the extension process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Youll be fine. Happens every day of the week for the banks

Advertisement