Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭Shoog

Our seller has been sitting on the paperwork for a month now - absolutely no reason for it. Our solicitor showed us a letter from his which said he was a bit eccentric and that he hadn't signed anything yet. Thats four months in on a vacant property. The problem is our solicitor didn't spot this and pull them up on the lack of a signed contract at an early stage so we have zero leverage to get things moving again. I think the seller is probably in his 70's and is probably a bit senile.

I am on the clock now as our house has gone to market this week and I have set a date for end of November to complete. If the old fool simply fails to get his finger out we will be under pressure to complete works on the new house and move out before it is ready.

I really am unimpressed with the quality of solicitors that we have had to deal with. Our previous solicitor went into retirement without notrifying us and without sending on the deeds - and its seems that the Law Society has no teeth in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Are you looking to complete on the new house before you sell your current house, or have I read that wrong?

Yes, i want at least 3 months to work on the new house so we need to complete now in anticipation of around three months to complete on the house we are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Due to close on house purchase last Friday except solicitor only sent the funds at 8:30 that morning - needless to say the seller's solicitor didn't receive the funds that day. This was despite the fact my solicitor has been sitting on the funds for the full purchase price since the previous Tuesday and everyone was supposed to be working to close on Friday. I vacated my own old home on Thursday.

I'd been leaving all my things in the new property in anticipation of moving in on Friday. Because of my solicitor's mess-up the spiteful seller refused me access to the house I'm buying and all my belongings that I left there. I had to show-up with a garda yesterday to get some change of clothes for myself and my young son.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ouch good luck with that!

Currently trying to sell and buy at same time, and a few people have informally advised us to not plan to close on a Friday. Based on the above it seems like good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Spiteful seller?

I would say the opposite, the seller allowed you to move stuff into the house despite you not owning it. The fact that you put all your belongings in there is your own fault really.

They might be spiteful now though, after you showed up with a Garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Yep, everyone we dealt with said we'd be closing on a Friday, and in the end we did, but it made no sense to me. Any sort of delay meant it would then be Monday since the EA, solicitor and bank would obviously all be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fascinatingbeauty

The house purchase was supposed to close last Friday, but the seller's solicitor didn't receive the funds on time due to a mistake by the buyer's solicitor. As a result, the seller refused access to the house and belongings. The situation is still unresolved, and the person is waiting to see what happens tomorrow.

Yes I willingly put my belongings there (in the shed) and I agreed she could leave some of her belongings in the house after completion upon her request - quid pro quo and all that. I think that's fairly normal in any purchase / sale.

Refusing access to a change of clothes for me and my four year old is spiteful imo but you are entitled to your opinion of course.

I wouldn't consider it a mistake by my solicitor - more like incompetence. Nice try at summarising though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It's really not normal in any sale I have ever heard of!

You probably shouldn't have put all your belongings in someone else's house.

I do hope your sale goes through today though

Yes it went through. Estate agent that sold the property said it's normal especially when there's a chain and relying on proceeds from the sale of old house to complete the purchase of the new house - why bother inconveniencing the person that's paying alot of money to buy your property when it's no skin off your back? I know I was very accommodating to the purchaser of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

My solicitor got onto me about the undertaking and discharge of our loan credit card. We’ll do that ourselves from the proceeds of the sale of the house send her the detail once paid off and she writes to the bank to confirm debts have been paid.

Seems our seller got his finger out and has signed all paperwork, but still no paperwork has come through after a few days.

Our old house sale is now started and have lots of good strong interest, will hopefully cover the cost of the new house, expenses and a bit extra for some double glazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

We have been sale agreed on a property 2 months. Been waiting 4 weeks for vendor's solicitor to reply to ours re outstanding planning certificates for porch/extension/garage/attic etc which the draft contract said was for US to sort out. Our solicitor said no way and now it's been radio silence since then. Incredibly annoying. Should I be hounding the EA to see what the hold up is?

Meanwhile, as we had negotiated the sale agreed price down following remedial works required after survey (plus a second opinion), the lender, Avant, began querying how/why we got so much off and asked to see the survey. The broker has advised us that if they see the survey they won't agree to loan offer. So we are waiting for the broker to come back to us to let us know our fate. Stupid as most second hand homes have something up with them and it's not subsidence or something like that, plus we've refinanced everything so that we can afford to pay for remedial works straight away. (Edited to add: I do of course understand that the lender essentially owns the house until mortgage paid off and is entitled to be cautious, I'm just venting!)

Two massive hurdles and just sitting here hoping/waiting for something to happen this week or decide to walk away. We are now down 2 months of house searching time on this property, along with survey costs and legal fees. Backing out now is not ideal by any stretch but we have limited amount of time left in our rental and are sick to death of being in no-man's-land waiting for other people to get their **** together.

There is a fall back option house that we have in mind but deadline for offers is tomorrow and it feels weird to lash an offer in with all of this stuff up in the air but we're really starting to feel under time pressure. Would it be normal enough to put in an offer on another property given the uncertainties above?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Out of curiosity on closing side few quick questions:

1. how long does a buyers solicitor usually take to review contracts once received?

2. Would contracts normally indicate a closing date or would this be left blank?

3. Would you expect if solicitor says contracts received from vendors solicitor that this would include all docs needed such as title information?

I am trying to gauge when to chase my own solicitor on these things without being over the top.

Thanks

The contracts should be exchanged at a very early stage, ie straight after offer accepted. After that when the contracts come back closing should be a few days once money has cleared. Contracts should not be a major hold up as other things can proceed in parallel.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Similar to us, sale agreed for 6 weeks, our solicitor sent back queries after she received contracts, been 4 weeks since we've had a response. Today was the second time I had to email the estate agent. Vendor's solicitor seems useless.

Was told by our solicitor that progress would grind to a halt in August as most solicitors take their holidays then. Unless its straightforward expect a months delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

• Advertisement

Valuation report done! Mortgage advisor is sending off for our loan offer today or first thing tomorrow. Should know this time next week if all is hunky dory.

I’ve asked before, but has anyone had an experience with EBS with drawdown/ loan offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

BOI just announced interest rate hikes, might explain why the f**ckers have been dragging their heels

I've experience of the EBS loan offer - had a great experience with EBS overall - loan agent was excellent but I suppose it comes down to the individuals you deal with. Very poor experience with AIB and BOI in contrast - not pragmatic at all.

Same experience so far. It seems with EBS you get the majority of the hard questions and deep dive done at AIP time and now seems like a formality. Our Advisor with EBS has been excellent. BOI I did online and had no issues but offer was a bit lower than EBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

We have gone sale agreed on our own house about three months ago, and have gone SA on another house closer to Dublin.

Or, we thought we had, until the engineer's report revealed lots of issues pertaining to structural changes. The previous owners knocked down a wall, and put an extra room to the rear of the property, and converted the attic. The roof is 'bowing' and the changes are not compatible with fire regulations. The extra room does not have the ground floor level with the rest of the house. The roof needs attention too. I have a feeling our solicitor will tell us to avoid this property like the plague. It is costing nearly half a million, and I feel there will be too many things to fix, for what after all is a standard 3 bed SD.

However, we are now afraid that the couple buying our house will get cheesed off if we have to start searching again. The whole thing is getting so stressful, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Jeez, sounds like a money pit.

I'd have to agree with the solicitor, unless you're getting a major discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I can empathise!! Survey report sounds very similar to ours. I'm now stuck between wondering am I mad for wanting to proceed, or if every house is money pit anyway so may as well be the one we like and have already sank time/money being sale agreed on! It is difficult to walk away when the options are so limited out there at the moment.

I found a phone call with surveyor(s) helped me to gauge how bad things really are. It's their job to lay it all out so you know the worst case scenario, but we were planning on renovating in medium term anyway so figured we could learn to live with some of the issues on a temporary basis. Revised our offer down as well. However, some issues you've mentioned might mean the lender is not happy to lend, or insurance not willing to cover so make sure you consider that when trying to make your judgement call. Very best of luck with it, it is an absolute minefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

On top of all that i'd be surprised if they had planning permission for any of that either, once your solicitor becomes aware they will certainly tell you not to procced.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

We are going to see our solicitor tomorrow. I'd be surprised though, if someone got such a major job done without hiring the best builders to do it, especially when knocking down interior walls. I'd be very surprised if there was no PP. who in their right mind would do that. Surely it would be impossible to get house insurance? I will let ye know how we get on tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 rodderss

PTSB are offering 3.6% variable ATM , would this or a 3/5 year fixed around 4% be better?

Advertisement