Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Annoying update on our end this morning... The vendor's solicitor apparently "somehow didn't receive" any of the emails from our solicitor over the past 5 weeks. I just don't buy it at all, it smacks of "the dog ate my homework"!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

We had this issue as well. Our solicitor's IT system is very flakey. He ended up creating a gmail account to keep everything moving after the first outage (there have been several but we CC both email addresses now)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

We're pushing 6 weeks with no reply from the vendors solicitor. Been two weeks since the vendor has responded to the estate agent on progress.

Banging our head off a bank to get a mortgage and we've just copped that the line they are feeding us for refusing a mortgage is pulled almost verbatim from the valuation. So essentially we paid 150 quid for one estate agent to tell the bank not to give us a mortgage. I fcuking hate this godforsaken process.

I'm now looking at going to another bank and need to find a different valuer because obviously this first crowd are here to sabotage these applications.

4 weeks till schools start in a new county and we're still fighting to move after four bloody years of administration bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

So, back to ploughing through the market again for us.

Started bidding on a house we liked, it has gone sky high already, clearly we are navigating a global market now.

Looks like we will have to input every ounce of our life savings into a property if we want to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mykrodot

This !!

We are now competing with UK and International buyers who are buying online. Its becoming increasingly difficult to gauge things and many of us are getting completely outbid within a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Why did they refuse mortgage? Does the house needs major work?

Living the life

Seen good few Chinese buyers myself at viewings.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

House across from us went back on the market after 3 sales fell through. The last viewing day the seller was sitting in my house and we watched a stream of Chinese people going in. Two Indian couples and maybe 5 irish couples. Bidding then lasted about a week and a half and she accepted a bid of 20% over even the last price it was sale agreed at, which was 25% over the original asking. It helped this time that there was a siro van at the pole outside during the viewings so it probably wont fall through on lack of fiber again anyway.

• Advertisement

That is a big price jump seller agreed on.

I notice also a small complex of apartments /houses built to rent by vulture fund near me, rents are very expensive and most people that have moved in are Indians.

Living the life

They are complaining about a shared well. House shared a well with another house, but the well is on a distinct, separate piece of land (along with the entrance to the two houses) with all the documents to show access and wayleave to both. The valuation said it's a shared well, we assume it has legal docs, but this may affect the ability to resell. So the bank said they are worried about the ability to resell. House was sold twice in the last 15 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭Shoog

Out in North Roscommon the housing market is still boyant and prices are contining to rise if you have the right location. Selling and currently €30K over asking on a modest country property. Not stopped rising yet.

Shocking.. I remember not too long ago there were lots of houses for sale in Roscommon, some as little as 40k. Times have changed.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭Shoog

Changes in planning permission mean that any house in the country is highly desirable since its nearly impossible for none farmers to get planning permission. NBI broadband has arrived in the area so the market is anyone who is able to do remote working. If you have the magic few acres and a good address the sky seems to be the limit here. Falling down wreaks are been snapped up and renovated for the first time - right left and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

UK had the biggest price drop since 2009 (mortgage interest rates really biting) recently yet Irish properties are going for over 20% of asking price.

Surely house prices must stabilise soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Anyone had to revise their LPT due to incorrect valuation band? We were just outside the 10%, when I moved to the next band, I paid the difference, but now it says I owe for the previous year also...

Lots of choices when buying a house in the UK.

sure is.....i was over in the Peak district last month, in a small town called Belper, plenty of houses for sale, decent prices too, some nice small terraced ones, all done to a higher standard than here too. All with a garden too. Prices around £245K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

The problem is you have to live there. It might be a nice scenic place, but outside of that, I'm sure there's plenty lacking.

I have a relative who bought only 18 months ago 45 mins out of Dublin. Nice big garden, lovely house. Now they have a newborn baby and are upset that none of their 3 sisters are calling past to visit the baby or to help out. Maybe the 1.5 hour round trip is putting them off?! For the same money they could have had a similar place with a smaller garden but within 10 mins of their support network. Sometimes you have to learn these things the hard way.

I know the town. Lovely place. Within less than an hours drive (how long it takes me to commute from Dublin to Dublin :) ) you can get to about 5 very large towns and cities, national parks, skiiing, boating, about 5 international airports etc. Public transport is amazinging there compared to anything we have here. Very well placed town and beautiful surroundings.

And thats just one town in the UK.

But I digress. My point earlier was that when you compare Ireland to the UK, supply is vastly different. The supply is massive compared to Ireland. In Ireland everyone is chasing the same few properties, including Reits, councils and charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

Due to close on our house next Tuesday, planning a same day sell of our home and purchase of new property. Waiting on Mortgage protection documents for PTSB to release the funds and Zurich have today come back requesting my husband has a Paramedical Examination and a Cotinine Test which will naturally delay everything. He has asthma, managed by his GP, is completely stable, no hospital admissions since childhood and no concerning family history. Is this typical to be requesting a medical exam for basic mortgage protection for a minor condition? In peoples experience do other insurers request the same? Panicking now that our purchase won't go through but we'll have to be out of the house that we're selling with 3 kids in tow.

Same happened to me with less than a week to go. They will send a form to your GP. Ask them to email/fax it and then Ring your GP and ask them to fill it in while you are on the phone and ask them to fax it straight away to the insurance company, otherwise it will never be done in time. It might help to get the fax number or email address that it is to go to as well as the name of a person FAO so that you can give this to the on the phone. It can all be done in a day but you have to really push the GP.

They agreed to do any tests later once gp signed off.

Dont worry about being out of your house. They will all close at the same time. If someone has to wait everyone has to wait.

ah but I am past the baby stage, kids grown up and gone, and my sister lives in Belper UK so it would be nice for both of us. Different for everyone I guess.

definitely! I was able to get to East Midlands airport from Belper for £2 on the bus....a trip of about 50 minutes for £2 ....what would that cost in Ireland, if we even had a bus service ! There is also a mainline train service in Belper to Derby, Manchester, Nottingham.. and buses every half hour. Nothing like that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

That's really helpful, thank you, I'll speak with them and see if that can be done and get my husband to phone his GP. Our broker is looking into another provider now as he thinks it can't all be done in time. He's none too happy about it though, he must have been getting a good commission!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There's a big difference in the UK with public transport. Even small villages in rural areas have regular bus routes. Plenty of train stations also.

You can live in the wild moors of Yorkshire and still commute easily to big towns and cities. This is where Ireland falls behind imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yes - we had the same issue. Also had to apply for an exemption due to change in market value from when we had purchased to when we were selling as it had breached some tolerance level or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I've lived there, I know. With population density comes benefits, but for most people here, it would mean living away from family here, so it's not a runner, despite cheaper house prices.

Advertisement