Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Yes that should be no problem especially on the BOI portal

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Running out of steam with the whole process at the moment, we're so close to the finish line but just can't get the vendor's solicitor to get the finger out.

Everything is done and dusted on our end with funds transfered from lender and ready to go but the other solicitor keeps fobbing ours off, contracts are signed by both sides, we just need them back and a date for keys. The other solicitor even lied about having already posted the contracts earlier this week and then admitted today they hadn't actually sent them at all! We only have until next Saturday left in our apartment so it's causing a great amount of stress at this stage, don't know where all our stuff will go, let alone us! Feel like I could sleep for a week, don't know how I'll muster the energy to actually move. Right, that's my little tiny violin whinge over!

ETA: already asked the letting agent to ask the landlord if we could have another week given that we have already signed contracts and won't overhold but unfortunately have heard nothing back :/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Is the BOI 2% cashback offer subject to DIRT or any other taxes? Have already been paid my mortgage saver account bonus but have about €1800 extra in my account from closure of my deposit saver account and can't for the life of me figure our what's it's for as is doesn't match up with 1% or 2% of what my cashback should be

We also only drew down our mortgage on this week so wouldn;t expect cashback to be in my account this quickly even if it was that somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

I'd have a chat with the estate agent. We had multiple delays with the vendor solicitor but I called the EA a few times and within hours there was movement again.

Thanks yeah, I have to say I have contacted the EA a good bit to try to keep things moving and it has helped a bit. Will see what they can do to save my sanity over the next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You're nearly there, just hound people daily, it's the only way to get things moving, have to make a pest of yourself. I hate it, but it really does work

• Registered Users Posts: 5 phishfood

We are sale agreed just over a year, ridiculously long I know but we decided to stick with this house and wait for resolution of mostly documentation issues. Anyway, finally our solicitor is satisfied and so has applied to request funds today from Bank of Ireland. He did mention that BOI seems to be a bit slow atm.

Just wondering if anyone has drawn down recently from BOI - how long did it take from requesting funds? We are eager to get in asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭StevenToast

We are looking at buying a nice house.

It is right beside a nursing home...couldnt be closer....

My wife loves it....and i dont mind the old folks...

My concern would be that the nursing home be converted into housing refugees and the like.....at some point in the future....

Would any of the good people in this thread be put off by this?....

The wife is on my ass about it and im just sceptical about owners of nursing homes trying to cash in on anything they can....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mykrodot

its a genuine concern, I don't blame your wife being a bit worried. Old folks are one thing, but a refugee centre with ever changing newcomers would be very off-putting. My mum is in a nursing home in Fingal and to be honest we are beginning to get anxious the owners might consider change of purpose too, which would be appalling for all the residents. Hard to know how to answer your question, crystal ball stuff.

Could I ask how long it took from the request for funds to them being made available?

Sorry I wouldn't know anything about the taxes on cashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

We drew down last month, wasn't too bad. They asked some ridiculous questions of my solicitor at the 11th hour, but think it was only a week or so from all documents approved to having money in solicitors account

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Anyone know how long it’s taking to get the Homebond cert recently? First it was we’re waiting on Irish Water, then it was ESB, now we’re waiting on the Homebond.

Structurally the house has seemed ready for a number of months now, ESB and water connected about a month but currently waiting on the Homebond cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Drog79

BOI have confirmed 2-3 days from request to payment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Getting very little feedback from the EA or updates after I placed an offer on a house. We have some second hand information that the EA is telling other viewers that there is an offer on the house already, that is larger than ours. But he has not communicated this amount to us directly. Do they have to communicate all offers or can they keep us in the dark and agree a deal elsewhere? There seems to be a lot of lies on their behalf to try and panic us into placing a larger offer.

I know this feeling.... As already suggested, we found the estate agent really helpful and was key to getting things progressing having contact with both solicitors and the vendor. Have they given you a specific reason as to why they are holding the contracts at this point? Frustrating that they feel the need to lie about it. Hang on in there!

Cheers - no reason given no, the house is already empty so don't think it's the vendors themselves. I reckon the vendors solicitor just likes to take their time, as has been the case throughout.

We've been told we are closing the end of this week and can collect keys... fingers crossed!! Don't know how anyone manages the more complicated moves with chains on either side! If it goes ahead this week it'll all have been worth it 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Bloody hell. We are looking to buy and sell to get closer to family. Only bought our current place house 3 years ago and cannot believe how mental things. We thought we were buying at the height of it during covid but things just got more expensive in such a short space of time.

Advice please:

I am Sale Agreed since 3 August on a house in a small estate in a Kerry town . It is a cash purchase, no chain, house is vacant, booking fee paid (it was a 2nd property belonging to a couple who no longer want it, they live in Dublin). My money is in the bank waiting to be transferred and I can move with a few days notice.

Contracts are with my Solicitor and there has been a long delay over queries she has of the vendors. I have tried for 2 weeks to find out what the queries are. I found out on Friday my Solicitor is (1) querying "development contributions" for the planning application and (2) a certificate proving that Kerry Co Co are responsible for the maintenance of the estate (roads, public lighting, water). My Solicitor said it could take weeks to get a reply from the council.

Today I went online to Kerry Co Co Planning office and found both certificates and relevant references numbers confirming Kerry Co Co are indeed responsible for maintenance (dated May 2021) and all development contributions have been paid together with An Bord Pleanala reference number. I was delighted.

I forwarded these to my Solicitor who promptly got back to me saying they cannot accept these certs and need original letters from Kerry Co Co confirming the above. My Solicitor will not accept the confirmation, proof and references from Kerry Co Council's own website??

I am currently living with my daughter and her husband and their 2 small kids under 5, she is 8 month pregnant with no 3!! We are under enormous stress living in close proximity with no space. I am desperate to move. What can I do if my Solicitor won't accept proof from Kerry County Council's own website that everything is in order?? This is the 6th house I have bought in my life but the first time I have come across an issue like this. I am so stressed. This should have been so straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Can you change solicitor? Or threaten to change?

It sounds solicitor is trying to justify their high fee.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes they should come back to let you know that you have been outbid. But possible there is no other bidder, they are trying to subtract more money.

Most of the estate agents I met are playing a game 1000%, they are all smoking mirrors and you don't believe a word coming out of their gob.

Living the life

• Advertisement

I don't want to end up having to pay 2 Solicitors, she would definitely bill me for something, but all she has done is viewed contracts and requested these 2 certs from vendors Solicitor (and therefore Kerry Co Co). I just don't understand why she couldn't let sale go through with the certs printed off Kerry Co Co Planning section on website and in time the original letters can come through from vendor Solicitor confirming exactly the same thing! Entire sale should not be delayed by this.

Just an fyi Cork County have a road viewer website which confirms what roads or estate are in charge. However they also say it cannot be relied upon for confirmation and a letter needs to issue. It could be the same here.

To be fair to your solicitor, they have to give an undertaking to a bank that roads and services are in charge so they need to able to rely on what’s provided or they get sued by bank. Sellers have to provide this confirmation so it’s their solicitor who should have ensured they had that letter before contracts issued.

there is no bank involved. I am a cash buyer.

thanks for your advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

I would take the hit and move to a solicitor who will proceed based on the certs you have provided.

You'll probably end up paying (at least partial) fees to 2 solicitors but as you said it would save you a lot of stress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Solicitor is just dotting the i and crossing the t's here. Was in same scenario last October - my solicitor was waiting two weeks for Council to confirm (he already knew the street was in charge as he had worked for another client a few doors up from me in the last year). How this process is NOT more streamlined nationwide is beyond me. Would eliminate a huge amount of Duplication. We should have a Portal where Solicitors can register and request this information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The solicitor is just covering their arse and yours. I get it's frustrating but at least you'll know everything is in order if you ever decide to move again and need to sell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Solicitor works for you. Tell her your happy to proceed without them.

you can always get them yourself in your own time, if you want them for the future.

exactly, this is what I am thinking. I was also thinking of telling her to proceed and we can with hold say 10K in Escrow until these certs come through, but in the meantime I can move in (house is vacant). As there is no bank involved the risk is on me. I cant see myself ever selling again (I am 62), even though I have bought 5 houses in my lifetime previous to this (and sold them!) this has been the an absolute nightmare of an experience.

This time last year I bought a house in North Kerry , moved in on caretaker agreement as the extension had no planning permission only to find the house had absolutely no insulation, even in the new extension, rising damp, water penetration and a rotting window upstairs which had been boarded up and plastered over. This was a B2 rated house. All passed by a Surveyor!! I was very lucky to get out of that sale, just by the skin of my teeth. Ever since I have been searching so this hold up on the current property almost has me at breaking point. Never again. I feel lucky I even found this house, its a helluva tough market out there.

Ah well if your a cash buyer, you make your own decision so tell the solicitor your happy to proceed without the letter if you want to.

They are just covering themselves but say your happy to sign anything that confirms your happy to proceed without the letter.

• Advertisement

Picked up the keys today 🥲 after 20 minutes of trying to get in I realized they had only given a back door key and not the key for the front door ffs! Between that and the fact that my partner got covid this week leaving me to manage the move on my toblerone, it's either laugh or cry so I'm going with laugh! Sure it'll all be grand once we get settled!

For others on the journey, it end up being just over 4 months from Sale Agreed to Keys in hand, but it involved a fair amount of hassling from us and our solicitor to the other solicitor to keep things trucking!

Thanks for all the helpful replies in the thread. As a FTB, having somewhere like this to ask the stupid questions was really helpful.

Advertisement