Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Did you get into a bidding war against the fake bidder? After he “won” and they realised he had no money, did you lower your offer to your original bid?
    I would absolutely return to my original bid as the others were fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

ELM327 wrote: »
    I would absolutely return to my original bid as the others were fake.
    I /we have done this in the past
    We have even lowered our original bid and got the property.
    2 EAs in D5 used to hate when they seen us viewing a property.
    Its a game and they hate it when other people know the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Markitron wrote: »
    Imagine going to the effort of viewing/bidding on a house without approval. Nutjobs.

And i know of another property he was bidding on also without approval
    insane carry on,

driving up the price for others!

Did you get into a bidding war against the fake bidder? After he “won” and they realised he had no money, did you lower your offer to your original bid?

There was no bidding war,I had two lowish bids rejected only bidder at this time,till he came in at the end, I just rang the EA and asked to be put down as a backup should the sale fall through (i was fairly sure he hadnt bank approval)
    ,I advised I had full approval and i started asking about the sellers approval.
    I said i d match the current agreed price, that was the figure i was going to bid on anyways so happy enough with it :cool:

brisan wrote: »
    Was there even a fake bidder at all

I was the only bidder all the way through, I had two bids rejected nobody bidding against me at this time, and was coming back with a third bid till the non approval dude got in before me, I was happy with the price i got the house for,

I know i could have tried bargaining back to my earlier bid but just wanted to seal it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Canyon86 wrote: »
    There was no bidding war,I had two lowish bids rejected only bidder at this time,till he came in at the end, I just rang the EA and asked to be put down as a backup should the sale fall through (i was fairly sure he hadnt bank approval)
    ,I advised I had full approval and i started asking about the sellers approval.
    I said i d match the current agreed price, that was the figure i was going to bid on anyways so happy enough with it :cool:

Well congrats anyway on the purchase! Best of luck with your new home

Well congrats anyway on the purchase! Best of luck with your new home

Thanks so much!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Newhomebuyer

Hi all,

Anybody else house hunting n being disappointed???
    We can't even land viewings let alone reaching a stage for signing the contract. Anybody else in the same boat??

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Hi all,

Anybody else house hunting n being disappointed???
    We can't even land viewings let alone reaching a stage for signing the contract. Anybody else in the same boat??

Tip for getting viewings - be straight and to the point, don't oversell yourself.

Simple message:

"Hi there,

I'd like to view this property at your earliest convenience.

FTB, Mortgage Approved Post Covid, Deposit in Place.

Thanks,"

Has worked for me. Straight and to the point = serious buyer, knows the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Tip for getting viewings - be straight and to the point, don't oversell yourself.

Simple message:

"Hi there,

Thanks,"

People try to 'sell themselves' for a viewing? Have never had any bother with a generic 'Hi can I look at this gaff please?' through daft or on the phone.

Even when you get the grim news that there is a public viewing with loads of people showing up it's worth the bother of going

• Advertisement

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Simple message:
    "Hi there,
    Thanks,"
    Thanks but that's not the case with the current viewings. There is no transparency honestly. I applied recently for a new home viewing. I was told to reply to an email with the priority list which I did within seconds. However when called the agent said many people applied within that time and we unfortunately did not get through. How do we know that the houses were not already given preferential allotment. Secondly, I was in touch with him since 3 months and he would always say it's difficult for us! N he was always rude in his dealings. Like how would you know in advance we won't get it???????? Very very suspicious or racist. I won't ever know.

• Administrators Posts: 53,835 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People try to 'sell themselves' for a viewing? Have never had any bother with a generic 'Hi can I look at this gaff please?' through daft or on the phone.

Even when you get the grim news that there is a public viewing with loads of people showing up it's worth the bother of going

Public viewings and open show houses aren't really a thing at the moment.

• Administrators Posts: 53,835 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks but that's not the case with the current viewings. There is no transparency honestly. I applied recently for a new home viewing. I was told to reply to an email with the priority list which I did within seconds. However when called the agent said many people applied within that time and we unfortunately did not get through. How do we know that the houses were not already given preferential allotment. Secondly, I was in touch with him since 3 months and he would always say it's difficult for us! N he was always rude in his dealings. Like how would you know in advance we won't get it???????? Very very suspicious or racist. I won't ever know.

There probably were houses already earmarked for people, yes. I think this happens all the time, for builders, or developer's mates, or estate agents sisters.

There's nothing to force developers to sell all the houses publicly.

For the rest, sounds like the number of people interested was high and the number of available houses was low. Not uncommon in recent times. In the past, they'd have opened the show house and you could have went for a look knowing that you probably weren't going to be high enough on the list to buy, but nowadays they obviously can't just open the show houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SophW

arelyn wrote: »
    Thanks for your submission

We were not informed that we will be covering the flooring when we paid the deposit, we only got to know about this on our second visit to the site

Did you approach the auctioneer about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Had been selling myself at every email/call for house viewings, seems normal lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Had been selling myself at every email/call for house viewings, seems normal lately.

I have to agree on this when looking the last 2 years - at times I thought I was being interviewed and had to give a good impression ! It prob makes sense though f it comes down to picking the offer to go sale agreed with etc ! Pending on the house some sellers may want to sell to people who want to live rather than it being a rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hotpoker

Hi all,

I am in the close out of the purchase of a duplex. I was told that there was a judgement mortgage on the property. I have the structural report done and was proceeding to the contract stage when told. Will this delay the purchase significantly. My mortgage approval is up in 7 weeks. Anyone any experience of buying a property with this added layer of complexity?

Much appreciated any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I imagine you would get a more knowledgeable answer from your solicitor.

awec wrote: »
    Public viewings and open show houses aren't really a thing at the moment.

There are viewings ongoing with precautions.

awec wrote: »
    There probably were houses already earmarked for people, yes. I think this happens all the time, for builders, or developer's mates, or estate agents sisters.

There's nothing to force developers to sell all the houses publicly.

For the rest, sounds like the number of people interested was high and the number of available houses was low. Not uncommon in recent times. In the past, they'd have opened the show house and you could have went for a look knowing that you probably weren't going to be high enough on the list to buy, but nowadays they obviously can't just open the show houses.

Exactly. There are viewings going on currently with safety precautions fyi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Just went sale agreed on buying our '4eva home'. Absolutely delighted, emotionally shattered and relieved. Now the final push to close everything out!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

mojesius wrote: »
    Just went sale agreed on buying our '4eva home'. Absolutely delighted, emotionally shattered and relieved. Now the final push to close everything out!

Congrats! Great news. It is an exhausting process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

hotpoker wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am in the close out of the purchase of a duplex. I was told that there was a judgement mortgage on the property. I have the structural report done and was proceeding to the contract stage when told. Will this delay the purchase significantly. My mortgage approval is up in 7 weeks. Anyone any experience of buying a property with this added layer of complexity?

You really need to speak to your solicitor, do not sign anything until your query is satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

hotpoker wrote: »
    Hi all,

A Judgment mortgage is a means by which a court order for money can be converted into a mortgage registered against a debtor's property. The procedure does not require an application to the court. However, the sale of property subject to a judgment mortgage order requires a court order.
    mcmahonsolicitors.ie › judgement-...
    Judgement Mortgage I – McMahon Legal Guide
    As others have said get legal advice
    I am sure your solicitor will have all the answers
    The judgement mortgage should be paid off out of the proceeds of the sale.
    However get legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

A judgment mortgage, like a regular mortgage from the bank needs to be discharged from the proceeds of sale by the vendor's solicitor. Provided the sale price is sufficient to cover the JM and any other charge on the property it shouldn't be an issue. If it isn't, it may or may not be possible. Eg. the vendor could come to an arrangement with the judgment creditor. Those negotiations are outside of your control however.

Your solicitor should clarify the situation with the vendor's solicitor and you shouldn't sign the contract for sale before it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

My solicitor has reviewed the contracts and sent over her amendments to other solicitor as they have no closing date and she wants to out in subject to me getting loan from bank. I have loan offer and see no reason why I wouldn't but handy to have just in case.

Starting to feel real now will feel more real when I pay the rest of the 10% deposit. Hopefully find out soon when I'm moving as that's the most annoying part

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

When should you be contacting a surveyor? We're sale agreed, booking deposit paid, contracts have been sent to our solicitor & bank valuer has been out during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

When should you be contacting a surveyor? We're sale agreed, booking deposit paid, contracts have been sent to our solicitor & bank valuer has been out during the week.

Now. We contacted ours as soon as we went sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Got my keys yesterday. Now the fun begins and I leave this thread :D. Good luck everyone with your purchases/sales.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You do it as early as possible in case they find any showstoppers so you can minimise your expenses if you have to pull out.

Advertisement