Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I guess it's a way of being cautious and ensuring your bids are legitimate. I have heard of other people having to do similar although it's not super common

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Hi everyone. I've gotten my structural report back and several times a builder is recommended to get quotes for costs of repairs before exchanging contracts. And am examination of the roof. Does this require a separate person? Any ideas how to go about finding a builder in south dublin? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Queenio wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I've gotten my structural report back and several times a builder is recommended to get quotes for costs of repairs before exchanging contracts. And am examination of the roof. Does this require a separate person? Any ideas how to go about finding a builder in south dublin? Thanks

To be honest you are better getting recommendations off someone you know
    The whole roof including joists could need work done and thats a major expense
    I would tread cautiously unless you are really in love with the property and have funds to put into it

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Finally collected keys today! Have been on this thread from day 1 and what a long road it’s been. Went sale agreed in March on a new build that was ready to go. One of us is self employed so the Covid check for us was a huge ask. Basically the bank requested business accounts for the first 6 months of this year, despite letters from accountant and bank confirming that the business had not been impacted by covid and in fact was performing better than when we got full approval. Accounts were requested early May so we had to wait until start of July to get the accounts together and pay over 1k for the pleasure. It’s not a process for the faint hearted...Very little self employed stories here so thought some may find this beneficial. Best of luck everyone, you do get there in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Got AIP from BOI this week.

I'm not self employed, but im in a fairly early stage start up, so the brokers had told me to wait another year. Delighted to get AIP. Looking forward to having EAs mail me back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

We just went sale agreed on our own house last week. It’s walk in condition so luckily sold quickly.

Feeling nervous as there is nothing out there for us to buy. We have a very small search area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GraceFace12

A house I really like has come to the market in Cork city in an area I know quite well. Planning has been granted for a site directly to the rear of the property which currently has nothing on it, for six duplexes. Planning was refused for numerous reasons in 2016 and 2018 and third application was successful earlier this year.

Let’s assume that I don’t have a problem with the development. What issues could come about during the sale? Having read objection letters by current residents, they think it will impact house values because the new build infringes on privacy of rear of these terrace houses including the one I’m interested in. Also one resident mentions issues relating to subsidence given that major excavation works are required for the development.

My guess is this is a major reason why the house is for sale. Also, In considering this, it sleeps slightly over valued... but not massively.

What should I be aware of here?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

A house I really like has come to the market in Cork city in an area I know quite well. Planning has been granted for a site directly to the rear of the property which currently has nothing on it, for six duplexes. Planning was refused for numerous reasons in 2016 and 2018 and third application was successful earlier this year.

Let’s assume that I don’t have a problem with the development. What issues could come about during the sale? Having read objection letters by current residents, they think it will impact house values because the new build infringes on privacy of rear of these terrace houses including the one I’m interested in. Also one resident mentions issues relating to subsidence given that major excavation works are required for the development.

My guess is this is a major reason why the house is for sale. Also, In considering this, it sleeps slightly over valued... but not massively.

What should I be aware of here?

That clearly just sounds like a good case of “not in my back yard!”. Property devaluation is a reason to let the building proceed as property is way overpriced anyway. The subsidence issue is likely clutching at strings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

How do you find out of a new estate is to be taken over by the council or weather it will be privately ran with a management company? Would it be in the plans on the council website? I asked the EA who said council but I've had other experiences of him lying on other questions and wouldn't surprise me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

How do you find out of a new estate is to be taken over by the council or weather it will be privately ran with a management company? Would it be in the plans on the council website? I asked the EA who said council but I've had other experiences of him lying on other questions and wouldn't surprise me here.

You can find out pretty quickly via the planning application form, which is on the coco’s website. Our estate took at least 6 years before they took the roads, footpaths & public space in charge, was an absolute nightmare as we had a lot of anti social behaviour and the Garda had a very hard time dealing with it due to those areas not being in charge by the council. If your paying management fees then that indicates a management company with the coco owning the the footpaths, roads and public spaces. You'll know your to pay fees as it will be in the listing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

We finally closed last Friday after having gone sale agreed before Xmas last year. It’s been such a long drawn out process that it’s pretty hard to be excited tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

em_cat wrote: »
    We finally closed last Friday after having gone sale agreed before Xmas last year. It’s been such a long drawn out process that it’s pretty hard to be excited tho.
    Congratulations. Have you gotten the keys checked out the new place yet?

I'm going through something similar although I haven't been waiting so long as you. A slow and difficult closing process caused primarily by a poor choice of solicitor on the seller's part has definitely drained a lot of my enthusiasm for the upcoming move even though I'm realistically a week or two from getting the keys now. After all the frustration and constant set backs, it just doesn't feel real yet. Hopefully I'll shake it off when I step into the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm hoping and praying covid doesn't significantly reduce interest in our house. We're selling a 4bed in Clonee/Castaheany area. Only went up for sale last week, fingers and toes crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Nalz wrote: »
    I'm hoping and praying covid doesn't significantly reduce interest in our house. We're selling a 4bed in Clonee/Castaheany area. Only went up for sale last week, fingers and toes crossed.
    Our house went up for sale March 16, then BOOM. Lockdown. There were literally thousands of views on Daft.ie, but probably the majority these were bored people having a gawk. Socially distanced viewings began on June 8th. Three serious contenders commenced bidding & the house went sale agreed on 24 June for €20k over asking price. Sweet as a nut. The best of luck Nalz.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Selling a 3 bed duplex in north Dublin. Will go on sale probably next week. Expecting a not too long wait as it is in showhouse condition. Finishing the mortgage approval with KBC (taking a good bit of time!) through a broker. We saw a new house (being built at the moment) in south Dublin that we really like. Sent EA letter from our broker stating that we can afford it and waiting from word from EA to place an offer and reserve the property. We have a long way ahead of us. Wish us luck.

We had seen another newly built property and gave deposit but then having a look at planning applications we discovered that a large development of apartments were going to be built across the street. I wouldn't mind if the apartment blocks weren't massive or were part of our development, but they were 241 planned apartments. Of course the EA said that he hadn't heard of that (obviously!). We pulled out of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Selling a 3 bed duplex in north Dublin. Will go on sale probably next week. Expecting a not too long wait as it is in showhouse condition. Finishing the mortgage approval with KBC (taking a good bit of time!) through a broker. We saw a new house (being built at the moment) in south Dublin that we really like. Sent EA letter from our broker stating that we can afford it and waiting from word from EA to place an offer and reserve the property. We have a long way ahead of us. Wish us luck.

We had seen another newly built property and gave deposit but then having a look at planning applications we discovered that a large development of apartments were going to be built across the street. I wouldn't mind if the apartment blocks weren't massive or were part of our development, but they were 241 planned apartments. Of course the EA said that he hadn't heard of that (obviously!). We pulled out of that one.

Would that happen to be Daneswell Place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Congratulations. Have you gotten the keys checked out the new place yet?

I'm going through something similar although I haven't been waiting so long as you. A slow and difficult closing process caused primarily by a poor choice of solicitor on the seller's part has definitely drained a lot of my enthusiasm for the upcoming move even though I'm realistically a week or two from getting the keys now. After all the frustration and constant set backs, it just doesn't feel real yet. Hopefully I'll shake it off when I step into the new place.

Just wondering how long after sale agreed did your solicitor get contracts?

We went sale agreed 12 days ago but we feel like everything is moving so fast.
    On Thursday my solicitor emailed me asking to hurry up loan offer if possible as she already received contracts from the vendors solicitor.

We applied for loan offer on Friday through broker and we’re quite nervous.
    Broker said things should speed up once we received loan offer but I feel like things are moving fast enough as is.

Things worth noting are, the house is vacant and vendor seems eager.
    I don’t think there’s a mortgage on the property.
    Could we be in, in 6 weeks?
    I know this isn’t very likely but just curious.
    The survey is done with no real issues found.

We have literally no interest in anything on the market at the moment so we’re worried about loan offer. It took us weeks to get AIP only short of asking us for the shirts off our backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If neither of you are on any kind of covid payment/wage subsidy they'll look favourably on it. Why a broker and opposed to direct, my broker sent me direct for the last mortgage as he said it was the best deal. He was more interested in keeping and getting other business from me. We went with EBS on the brokers recommendation, they don't give commission to brokers I think he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Just wondering how long after sale agreed did your solicitor get contracts?

We went sale agreed 12 days ago but we feel like everything is moving so fast.
    On Thursday my solicitor emailed me asking to hurry up loan offer if possible as she already received contracts from the vendors solicitor.

We applied for loan offer on Friday through broker and we’re quite nervous.
    Broker said things should speed up once we received loan offer but I feel like things are moving fast enough as is.

Things worth noting are, the house is vacant and vendor seems eager.
    I don’t think there’s a mortgage on the property.
    Could we be in, in 6 weeks?
    I know this isn’t very likely but just curious.
    The survey is done with no real issues found.

We have literally no interest in anything on the market at the moment so we’re worried about loan offer. It took us weeks to get AIP only short of asking us for the shirts off our backs.
    I just checked my emails and my solicitor received contracts about a month after going sale agreed, although I don't know if that is the norm as the vendor's solicitor subsequently showed themselves to be shockingly slow.

There's no minimum period for closing, and less parties being involved like a bank on the solicitor's side speeds things up. A closing period of two or three months is possible. I have friends that closed in around that period of time (over lockdown no less) as both the seller and themselves were eager.

If you're feeling like things are moving too fast, nothing is final until your signed contracts are sent off by your solicitor. If you're feeling like the seller is 'too' eager or the bank might leave you hanging, you can double check with your solicitor that there's no unusual stipulations in the contract and there's a clause in there that you can pull out if the bank don't provide finance (even though they probably already have done this). During my sale, the vendor's solicitor initially included all sorts of clauses that you'd typically see in distressed sales, which were swiftly removed by mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Our house went up for sale March 16, then BOOM. Lockdown. There were literally thousands of views on Daft.ie, but probably the majority these were bored people having a gawk. Socially distanced viewings began on June 8th. Three serious contenders commenced bidding & the house went sale agreed on 24 June for €20k over asking price. Sweet as a nut. The best of luck Nalz.

wowsers.

Where was your house based if you don't mind me asking? 3 or 4 bed? First time buyers mostly interested?

• Advertisement

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    I just checked my emails and my solicitor received contracts about a month after going sale agreed, although I don't know if that is the norm as the vendor's solicitor subsequently showed themselves to be shockingly slow.

There's no minimum period for closing, and less parties being involved like a bank on the solicitor's side speeds things up. A closing period of two or three months is possible. I have friends that closed in around that period of time (over lockdown no less) as both the seller and themselves were eager.

If you're feeling like things are moving too fast, nothing is final until your signed contracts are sent off by your solicitor. If you're feeling like the seller is 'too' eager or the bank might leave you hanging, you can double check with your solicitor that there's no unusual stipulations in the contract and there's a clause in there that you can pull out if the bank don't provide finance (even though they probably already have done this). During my sale, the vendor's solicitor initially included all sorts of clauses that you'd typically see in distressed sales, which were swiftly removed by mine.

We’re actually delighted things are moving but we’re just surprised at how quick so far.
    We’re not worried as such it just seems much quicker than expected.
    I kind of budgeted to have a few k upon moving in taking into account it would take probably 3 months or so but this doesn’t seem to be the case if things keep moving as quickly as they have been.

Praying our letter of loan offer just comes in without delay or heartbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

We’re actually delighted things are moving but we’re just surprised at how quick so far.
    We’re not worried as such it just seems much quicker than expected.
    I kind of budgeted to have a few k upon moving in taking into account it would take probably 3 months or so but this doesn’t seem to be the case if things keep moving as quickly as they have been.

Praying our letter of loan offer just comes in without delay or heartbreak.

I thought you'd need to be mortgage approved before bidding on properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I thought you'd need to be mortgage approved before bidding on properties?

Approval is a prior step to getting a letter of offer. Approval in principle is just that, the bank agreeing to loan you x amount of y purchase price based on your circumstances.

Letter of offer is linked to a specific property and can be for a different set of figures (not in excess of) the AIP. As such there are extra checks and balances as part of issuing same, including valuation of the property, etc.

You cannot reasonably be expected to have the latter prior to offering.

We had to submit a tonne of stuff to get AIP which was decided by an underwriter. I think with Ulster Bank they get all of that stuff out of the way at the start and then to issue loan offer they just look for 3 or 4 updated documents depending on how long ago you received AIP.
    Because our AIP was issued over 3 months ago we had to send on updated docs. I dont think there is much more they can ask for at this stage it should just be a yes or a no. We had to show my OH was no longer on furlough and a 1 month payslip reflecting this along with letters from her job. I didn't stop working so I didn't have to submit much extra. The wait is killing us and we only went for loan offer on Friday. Christ!
    Can't wait for this all to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CuriousKarl

Hi all,

Would you recommend snagging on a new build? I am close to signing contracts but snagging is not something I've researched much - costs, who to go to etc.

Also, the house has no flooring laid yet skirting boards are already fitted. When I visited some flooring providers they mentioned that they would not go near taking up skirting as understandably they don't want to be responsible for any damage to walls. Is having skirting boards installed already something I should be unhappy about, and potentially be asking builders (still on site) to take up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Hi all,

Would you recommend snagging on a new build? I am close to signing contracts but snagging is not something I've researched much - costs, who to go to etc.

Also, the house has no flooring laid yet skirting boards are already fitted. When I visited some flooring providers they mentioned that they would not go near taking up skirting as understandably they don't want to be responsible for any damage to walls. Is having skirting boards installed already something I should be unhappy about, and potentially be asking builders (still on site) to take up?

100% Yes. You need to get snagging done on a new build.

We are Closing this week on a New Build from one of the biggest Developers in the Country.

First snag showed 116 defects

We were told these were all fixed

We got a second snag done which showed 18 outstanding defects that were not fixed

We will get a 3 snag done before closing to confirm 100% of all defects are completed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi all,

Snagging is specific to new builds, for a second hand house you'd survey but not snag since you wouldn't expect the house to be perfect.

You will definitely want to snag it because no developer is perfect and there will definitely be mistakes or things forgotten. Things like paint being marked where someone has brushed against it, doors not aligning perfectly, silicone missing from somewhere, chips in some wood where someone has dropped something on it etc.

Costs for snagging can vary a lot but generally you're talking 200-400 euro if I remember right. Check with your snagger what they charge for follow ups, as sometimes the snag list will be so long, or there'll be things you want checked again that they'll have to visit twice.

Check with the builder if the skirting boards are properly fitted or just tacked on. If they're tacked on they'll come off easy, otherwise you can ask them to remove them and see if they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CuriousKarl

100% Yes. You need to get snagging done on a new build.

We are Closing this week on a New Build from one of the biggest Developers in the Country.

First snag showed 116 defects

We were told these were all fixed

We got a second snag done which showed 18 outstanding defects that were not fixed

We will get a 3 snag done before closing to confirm 100% of all defects are completed.

Wow okay that is fairly convincing to go with getting one then. Do you pay for each report or how does it work? Am I right in thinking typical turn around is about three weeks?

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wow okay that is fairly convincing to go with getting one then. Do you pay for each report or how does it work? Am I right in thinking typical turn around is about three weeks?

You pay per report usually. Turnaround depends how busy they are, but once they visit the house you should get the report in a day or two.

You need to pick your battles when it comes to snags. Good snaggers will highlight every little defect, even the minor or irrelevant. Pick the bad ones and the obvious ones that you really want fixed to ensure the developer does them.

Some issues you will have to live with in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

awec wrote: »
    You pay per report usually. Turnaround depends how busy they are, but once they visit the house you should get the report in a day or two.

You need to pick your battles when it comes to snags. Good snaggers will highlight every little defect, even the minor or irrelevant. Pick the bad ones and the obvious ones that you really want fixed to ensure the developer does them.

Some issues you will have to live with in reality.

A work colleague had some doozies on his snag list
    Master bedroom window not central,took a lot of arguing but eventually got it moved
    Uneven meeting point between ceilings and walls in 2 downstairs rooms.
    Builder put coving in rooms.
    Skirting board joints clearly visible, done very quickly.
    Downstairs WC would not flush while washine was filling ( not sure how that finished .
    Always worth getting a snag list done
    Some builders actually have a snagger that works for them to spot issues before the client does

Advertisement