Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

ebayissues wrote: »
    One of the places I'm looking at, surveyor noted some issues and gave costing to be about 15kish.

Do I negotiate offer of the house based on this? If so at what stage?
    Once you have the surveyors report ready with costings go in at least 15k under asking

PommieBast wrote: »
    Chances are the EA is telling porkies.

As if a registered EA would do such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Couple of questions:

How high are usually management fees for houses in new estates? Our estate will be (if we finally buy the house) a mix of houses and apartments (nearly 50/50 in total numbers)

looks like the apartments are not for sale due to the developer keeping most of them "for themselves"as per the EA. Does anyone know what this means? Will they be just renting them out, giving them all to social housing?

Couple of questions:

How high are usually management fees for houses in new estates? Our estate will be (if we finally buy the house) a mix of houses and apartments (nearly 50/50 in total numbers)

looks like the apartments are not for sale due to the developer keeping most of them "for themselves"as per the EA. Does anyone know what this means? Will they be just renting them out, giving them all to social housing?
    Answered your own question there

brisan wrote: »
    Answered your own question there

But that would be more than a 50% of social housing in a estate where the houses are >700k. It doesn't make much sense to me, as I'm sure they would be getting way more money by selling the apartments directly. Amyway, my spider sense is tingling

• Advertisement

But that would be more than a 50% of social housing in a estate where the houses are >700k. It doesn't make much sense to me, as I'm sure they would be getting way more money by selling the apartments directly. Amyway, my spider sense is tingling

The houses are more than 700k but I doubt the apartments are
    The developer could have reached a deal with the council where he gave 30x 400k apts rather than 20 x 750k houses.,or similar
    He may have made more profit on the houses or just thought the houses would be easier to sell
    I doubt he is keeping them to rent out himself

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Senature wrote: »
    I've noticed that many houses for sale are currently unoccupied. The estate agents claim they are not rentals or executor sales. Can anyone shed some light on this? There surely can't be that many people who can afford to move on without selling up first?

It might be that the owner is in a nursing home?

Although if the owner is on fair deal the chances are that it will be left unoccupied. If sold the hse gets 7.5% each year of the proceeds until they are exhausted. If rented, tax takes 50% and hse takes 80% of remainder of rent. So if rent was, say 2k per month, the owner is left with 200pm. Too risky to have tenants for this sort of return.

Will Yam wrote: »
    It might be that the owner is in a nursing home?

Although if the owner is on fair deal the chances are that it will be left unoccupied. If sold the hse gets 7.5% each year of the proceeds until they are exhausted. If rented, tax takes 50% and hse takes 80% of remainder of rent. So if rent was, say 2k per month, the owner is left with 200pm. Too risky to have tenants for this sort of return.
    I thought fair deal was max 3 years at 7.5%

I thought fair deal was max 3 years at 7.5%

It is on the value of the house. But it’s 7.5% ad infinitum on non principal primary residence or other assets.

So if you convert the house to cash you expose the whole lot.

So it makes no sense to sell the house if the owner is in a nursing home .unless you know end of life is near.

• Advertisement

So it makes no sense to sell the house if the owner is in a nursing home .unless you know end of life is near.

Not if your on fair deal, no.

It has been estimated that there are 10,000 such vacant houses around the country.

Given the housing shortage this would make a difference if these were either sold or rented. Selling makes no economic sense.

Renting is even worse, given the huge risks in not being able to evict those who opt not to pay rent.

Will Yam wrote: »
    Not if your on fair deal, no.

It has been estimated that there are 10,000 such vacant houses around the country.

Given the housing shortage this would make a difference if these were either sold or rented. Selling makes no economic sense.

Renting is even worse, given the huge risks in not being able to evict those who opt not to pay rent.
    House next door to my mother is the that exact position
    3 bed extended end of terrace 100 yards from DART
    worth at least 350k
    Father in nursing home so cant be sold and cant be rented
    It would sell in a couple of weeks if put on the market

The houses are more than 700k but I doubt the apartments are
    The developer could have reached a deal with the council where he gave 30x 400k apts rather than 20 x 750k houses.,or similar
    He may have made more profit on the houses or just thought the houses would be easier to sell
    I doubt he is keeping them to rent out himself

We are honestly morally deflated. We saw a development in the south side that we paid the deposit and pulled out of it as we discovered that they were going to build 210 apartments in front of us. Then, we found another lovely development which took over 2 weeks to get an answer authorising us to place a deposit. This is the one with the apartments, that we just found out that are not on sale at the moment and the developer is keeping for themselves. We do not want all the 20 apartments right in front of our house to go to social housing. The total size of the development is 48 dwellings, so 10% would only be 5, but I do not trust the builder, and as someone posted here, they may very well offload all of them to social housing.

Oh well, you gotta love the rush of buying. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

jokettle wrote: »
    The seller wanted about 20k above asking and had rejected several offers of the asking price from other bidders. According to the Estate Agent, the seller had wanted to list it at a higher asking price but the agent convinced him to lower the asking to get more people interested. So I was annoyed at them not accepting an offer at the asking, but I can begrudgingly understand their strategy!
    We're looking at selling now and are on the other side of this coin. The EA agrees our desired price is realistic but says the best strategy is to price 5% below to generate bids. I can see the logic but it feels like a dodgy game to be playing, and obviously the EA's only interest is in a sale going through, the actual price is basically irrelevant to them

We're looking at selling now and are on the other side of this coin. The EA agrees our desired price is realistic but says the best strategy is to price 5% below to generate bids. I can see the logic but it feels like a dodgy game to be playing, and obviously the EA's only interest is in a sale going through, the actual price is basically irrelevant to them

Give the EA your minimum price
    Tell him not to bother coming to you with offers below that figure.
    Do not forget its your house and you are employing him.
    Would a cash buyer or no chain affect your asking price.??

Give the EA your minimum price
    Tell him not to bother coming to you with offers below that figure.
    Do not forget its your house and you are employing him.
    Would a cash buyer or no chain affect your asking price.??
    We have, we (confidently) think it's worth 420k, EA advising to list 400k as it's a round number, will catch more searches, and says it will get up to 420k. I get that, but if someone offers 400k we'd be saying no so it feels kind of deceitful. We'd sell around 410k probably, especially for no chain. We'd like a quick sale if possible as we have our eye on a place, so generating interest does seem like a good idea in theory

Just not sure now what to actually list at now

We have, we (confidently) think it's worth 420k, EA advising to list 400k as it's a round number, will catch more searches, and says it will get up to 420k. I get that, but if someone offers 400k we'd be saying no so it feels kind of deceitful. We'd sell around 410k probably, especially for no chain. We'd like a quick sale if possible as we have our eye on a place, so generating interest does seem like a good idea in theory

Well the anecdotal evidence is that good properties in good areas esp in The bigger cities are going above asking and going quickly.
    So go with EA but have a minimum figure and give it at least a month
    Unless that is you get to 420 quicker
    Then tell the EA to give the other bidders 48hrs or you are going sale agreed

We are honestly morally deflated. We saw a development in the south side that we paid the deposit and pulled out of it as we discovered that they were going to build 210 apartments in front of us. Then, we found another lovely development which took over 2 weeks to get an answer authorising us to place a deposit. This is the one with the apartments, that we just found out that are not on sale at the moment and the developer is keeping for themselves. We do not want all the 20 apartments right in front of our house to go to social housing. The total size of the development is 48 dwellings, so 10% would only be 5, but I do not trust the builder, and as someone posted here, they may very well offload all of them to social housing.

Oh well, you gotta love the rush of buying. FFS

I forgot to add that of course the developer's solicitor is the same as the one that is managing my sale and the one I wanted to manage the purchase. Now, due to conflict of interest, they cannot represent me

Well the anecdotal evidence is that good properties in good areas esp in The bigger cities are going above asking and going quickly.
    So go with EA but have a minimum figure and give it at least a month
    Unless that is you get to 420 quicker
    Then tell the EA to give the other bidders 48hrs or you are going sale agreed
    Interesting, thanks for that. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. We probably will, but we'll sleep on it now :)

Interesting, thanks for that. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. We probably will, but we'll sleep on it now :)

I know of two houses that my nephew was interested in
    One at 335 in show house condition ,went for 360k
    One at 345 needed work went for 365k
    First one was undervalued in my opinion ,second one was over valued in my opinion.
    All depends if someone really wants the house and the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Shelga

Just to say, from a buyer's point of view, it is extremely frustrating when a property is listed at a price that the seller has no intention of selling at. You might find the opposite effect to what the EA is telling you will happen- people will go to view it who have 400k as the very top of their budget, then get pissed off when they find out you want at least 420k. It could drive away 50% of potential buyers- never mind the fact that you are completely wasting their time.

If you're going to engage in the EA's tactics, I'd say don't list for more than €5k under what you want to sell it for- ie don't list for less than €415k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Shelga

Also, the estate agent also wants to be able to say "I've had 50 emails about this property!"- never mind whether that translates into actual concrete offers or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Still struggling to find a place I can afford that's in the right area/condition for me.

Very little houses on the market around or under €175k.
    Even less so under €175k that aren't practically condemned.

Very disheartening.

Shelga wrote: »
    Just to say, from a buyer's point of view, it is extremely frustrating when a property is listed at a price that the seller has no intention of selling at. You might find the opposite effect to what the EA is telling you will happen- people will go to view it who have 400k as the very top of their budget, then get pissed off when they find out you want at least 420k
    I agree, and I don't want to mess people around. EA's point is that people will search for up to 400k but, if they love the house, may well be able to stretch to it. Those people might never even see the listing if it's at 420k

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Still struggling to find a place I can afford that's in the right area/condition for me.

Very little houses on the market around or under €175k.
    Even less so under €175k that aren't practically condemned.

Very disheartening.
    If its Dublin you have little or no chance

If its Dublin you have little or no chance

It's not in Dublin. Far from it. I'm trying to buy out in the countryside.

Sad part is, I feel so bad for anybody who does live in Dublin. You're pretty much never going to own a property in Dublin unless you're earning big bucks, which most people arent.

Most public and civil servants, frontline workers, labourers, etc will never be able to afford a nice place in their home city.
    I know a guard and a teacher that are married and are living in a dublin slum flat.

Pathetic country.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    It's not in Dublin. Far from it. I'm trying to buy out in the countryside.

Sad part is, I feel so bad for anybody who does live in Dublin. You're pretty much never going to own a property in Dublin unless you're earning big bucks, which most people arent.

Most public and civil servants, frontline workers, labourers, etc will never be able to afford a nice place in their home city.
    I know a guard and a teacher that are married and are living in a dublin slum flat.

Pathetic country.

Do not know where you are looking but we are thinking about a second home in Wexford and some good prices down there
    However we will hold off till next year and the dust has settled

Do not know where you are looking but we are thinking about a second home in Wexford and some good prices down there
    However we will hold off till next year and the dust has settled

I'm in the southeast but not wexford. Even still, the housing market is atrocious even in rural area's here.

Random question: Has anybody ever underbid on a house? There's a house I've been eyeing on the market for over a year now, and it's vastly overpriced.
    I hear the owners are elderly and stubborn as hell and think it's worth a lot more.

Thinking about sending the EA an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

The place we've just gone Sale Agreed on was on the market for over a year with the seller turning down multiple offers of the asking from multiple bidders. Similar numbers to what you've mentioned too. So I'd say it's a strategy that can work *if* you have the patience to wait and aren't in dire need of the money, like our seller is.

The house is well outside Dublin, calling it a commuter town would be really pushing your luck (although it was done during boom times and is being described as such now on occasion) - I mention this just because it would have been snapped up long ago if it was in a more desirable location. So again, patience on your part might be key.

Advertisement