Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Is daft basically the only place you should check?

Would I be wasting my time going to actual auctioneer storefronts and their individual websites or is daft basically what they all use these days?

I only checked myhome.ie - other half preferred daft, we found houses were posted quicker on daft for some reason. I wouldn't bother with auctioneers shopfronts unless I was passing for a nosey and would only look at their individual sites when I found a house I really liked and I was checking in case there was more information there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Would I be wasting my time going to actual auctioneer storefronts and their individual websites or is daft basically what they all use these days?

Daft and Myhome ie
    Only Estate Agents have access to Myhome
    The public and Estate agents have access to Daft.
    Hence more rentals on Daft

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

After a two year wait we have finally closed on our new build today. Mortgage drawn down last week, Help to Buy claimed a few weeks prior.

It's been such a rollercoaster. We would have paid the initial holding deposit way back in August 2018. We even thought of pulling out at one point, since there was a period where the builders went off site and we genuinely didn't know when (or if) they would get back on site again.

They returned on site again at the end of 2019 and progressed things at a really good pace, but then we had the Covid related lockdown delay things further.

All in all, the end result has definitely been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I found the daft app was more functional than the my home app for what it's worth. There was the odd property that would be on my home and not daft and vice versa but in general the same stock was on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Are subject to finance clauses becoming standard? I'm aware vendor doesn't have to agree but as we approach signing contracts and drawing down I'm very concerned about the hopefully remote possibility of the bank refusing to allow drawdown. Going to bring it up with the solicitor today. I think I'd walk away if vendor said no to such a clause

• Advertisement

Queenio wrote: »
    Are subject to finance clauses becoming standard? I'm aware vendor doesn't have to agree but as we approach signing contracts and drawing down I'm very concerned about the hopefully remote possibility of the bank refusing to allow drawdown. Going to bring it up with the solicitor today. I think I'd walk away if vendor said no to such a clause

Your solicitor would be negligent if he allowed you to sign a contract that was not subject to finance
    Its standard practice nowadays to have a subject to finance clause

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

I found myhome to be particularly useful with things like checking nearby transport, amenities etc. Keep any eye on both websites though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We used myhome. I just found the website more user friendly than daft. (using it on a desktop though as opposed to a mobile)

One thing I noticed about myhome though is that the map isn't always up to date. I.e. when I got notifications by email, the same houses didn't appear on the map if you do a search (I think they were the listing though, I just prefer the map view). Just something to bare in mind.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

brisan wrote: »
    Your solicitor would be negligent if he allowed you to sign a contract that was not subject to finance
    Its standard practice nowadays to have a subject to finance clause

No it isn't, and no they wouldn't be. That would make no sense.

awec wrote: »

So you are saying a solicitor will let you pay a 40k deposit on a house and if your finance falls through you lose the deposit and thats ok ??????

• Advertisement

So you are saying a solicitor will let you pay a 40k deposit on a house and if your finance falls through you lose the deposit and thats ok ??????

It's not standard. That wouldn't make any sense.

Think about it from the vendor's point of view, would you automatically agree to return a deposit if your buyer falls out, even if you're potentially going to be down many thousands of euro?

Solicitors can ask for it, but it must be mutually agreed, then it's up to the buyer whether or not they want to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I hope you're not a solicitor. You could argue negligence might be a strong word, but any solicitor not adding that clause in the current climate would careless in the extreme.. also most definitely not operating with their clients best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

yes it is. The Law Society recommend it.

Think about it from the vendor's point of view, would you automatically agree to return a deposit if your buyer falls out, even if you're potentially going to be down many thousands of euro?

Solicitors can ask for it, but it must be mutually agreed, then it's up to the buyer whether or not they want to proceed.

It's standard to ask now, for very obvious reasons. Banks, the economy and many employers are on a knife edge..

givyjoe wrote: »
    It's standard to ask now, for very obvious reasons. Banks, the economy and many employers are on a knife edge.

Yes, it's standard to ask. Totally different to what was said.

What next? The vendors solicitor is negligent if they agree for you to return a deposit and be out of pocket for thousands? Is it impossible to complete a house sale without one of the solicitors being negligent? What nonsense.

Of course the vendor can refuse ,and then the buyers solicitor advises his client not to sign the contract and the sale falls through and the vendor is still down thousands of euro.
    I would like you ask how many people on here have signed a contract to buy a house who are looking for mortgage approval who have signed a contract without such a clause

Standard to ask the vendor, you should NOT have to ask your solicitor to put this in for you.

Of course the vendor can refuse ,and then the buyers solicitor advises his client not to sign the contract and the sale falls through and the vendor is still down thousands of euro.
    I would like you ask how many people on here have signed a contract to buy a house who are looking for mortgage approval who have signed a contract without such a clause

Search the forum for the past few years. It was a very common question, with vendors (both private and developers) refusing to have the clause inserted.

So I'd say lots.

Standard to ask the vendor, you should NOT have to ask your solicitor to put this in for you.

Yes, but again this is not what was suggested.

What next? The vendors solicitor is negligent if they agree for you to return a deposit and be out of pocket for thousands? Is it impossible to complete a house sale without one of the solicitors being negligent? What nonsense.

Nonsense? Are you completely unaware of whats going on around you? You're analogy is completely incoherent.. The vendors solicitor would obviously advise their client of any terms unfavourable to them, and they can choose to accept or not.. not particularly complicated. A solicitor is supposed to act in your best interests and should be putting this clause in without you having to ask for it! Thankfully most seem to be doing this.

Ps. Please complete your post instead of coming back to add paragraphs. Most irksome.

• Advertisement

Nonsense? Are you completely unaware of whats going on around you? You're analogy is completely incoherent.. The vendors solicitor would obviously advise their client of any terms unfavourable to them, and they can choose to accept or not.. not particularly complicated. A solicitor is supposed to act in your best interests and should be putting this clause in without you having to ask for it! Thankfully most seem to be doing this.

Ps. Please complete your post instead of coming back to add paragraphs. Most irksome.

Your (the buyers) solicitor cannot add anything to the contract without the vendors solicitor agreeing. Of course they're going to ask as standard, nobody suggested anything different.

If the vendors solicitor disagrees, the insinuation was that it was negligence for your solicitor to allow the sale to continue.

This of course, was nonsense.

Search the forum for the past few years. It was a very common question, with vendors (both private and developers) refusing to have the clause inserted.

So I'd say lots.

Again, missing the point. There wasn't a global pandemic about to cripple the economy over the last couple of years. There is in the last couple of months.

Your (the buyers) solicitor cannot add anything to the contract without the vendors solicitor agreeing.

If the vendors solicitor disagrees, the insinuation was that it was negligence for your solicitor to allow the sale to continue.

This of course, was nonsense.

My point, is its negligent/extremely careless (in the current climate) for the purchasers solicitor to not ask for it in the contract. Joe Soaps cannot be expected to know that they should be asking for this clause to be included.

Again, missing the point. There wasn't a global pandemic about to cripple the economy over the last couple of years. There is in the last couple of months.

What are you on about? The post that I was replying to was speaking in general. How many people on here have signed contracts without the clause. The answer was lots.

If he wanted to know how many people have signed contracts in the past few weeks without the clause, I'm sure he'd have asked that instead.

My point, is its negligent/extremely careless (in the current climate) for the purchasers solicitor to not ask for it in the contract. Joe Soaps cannot be expected to know that they should be asking for this clause to be included.

Agreed, nobody suggested any different.

Agreed, nobody suggested any different.

NVM, I somehow missed the last sentence where you said they can ask. My bad. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Went sale agreed in our apartment. approx 10% over asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Definitely plan on asking. The idea of walking away from a very large deposit does (that would be far in excess of any money lost by the vendors) does not sit well with me. If they refuse we will have to walk and as was mentioned they will be out the money anyway. The chances are remote as we both public sector but already the bank is looking for more payslips and more account balances as a Condition of the loan offer which makes me want to protect ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How would the vendor lose thousands by a buyer not drawing down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

MattS1 wrote: »
    How would the vendor lose thousands by a buyer not drawing down?

Solicitor Fees for one. Secondly They could have missed out on other sales by choosing one bidder over another and then when it goes back on the market all the other interested parties are no longer interested or got another place.

Advertisement