Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling equity from a property to purchase another

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Where have you got that idea from? 15K will not increase the value by 60K.

what the o/p said
    "I'd have to use about €50k hard-saved as a deposit, then spend about €15k refurbishing it (could get a loan). The idea would be to put it's value up from €220k (purchase price) to about €280k,".

That's where I got the 15k from.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

I think he meant me Claw! Tbh maybe i'm talking out of my ass. I'm thinking putting an extension on for another bedroom could bring the value up in addition to new floors etc. But now that i think about it, by the time everyone's had their chink, sales fees, land reg, materials etc. it would be cut down significantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

Hi myself and parnter are saving for a mortgage for our first house , but our thinking of waiting a year or two as we are not in a rush so to speak.i have a 30k gift from my parents and have 10k saved myself.

I have been thinking of buying a house now for around 200k or less just to rent If out . I still live at home so I see it as a long term investment which i will be looking into .

The rent from the house will pay off the mortgage and still make profit each month which can be used for saving for the house we will live in which will most likely be built on family land in kildare .

I know you need a 20% deposit for a second property
    Again I see it as a long term investment.
    Is it a stupid idea or would it be actually possible?

Any advice is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Astro127 wrote: »
    Hi myself and parnter are saving for a mortgage for our first house , but our thinking of waiting a year or two as we are not in a rush so to speak.i have a 30k gift from my parents and have 10k saved myself.

I have been thinking of buying a house now for around 200k or less just to rent If out . I still live at home so I see it as a long term investment which i will be looking into .

The rent from the house will pay off the mortgage and still make profit each month which can be used for saving for the house we will live in which will most likely be built on family land in kildare .

I know you need a 20% deposit for a second property
    Again I see it as a long term investment.
    Is it a stupid idea or would it be actually possible?

Any advice is welcome.

Read up on the tax situation, the interest and charges and all that goes with it, watch what you think is profit turn into another additional expense.

Advertisement