Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Stupidly of the electorate?

Ah yes let's bring back the same parties that created massive homelessness, a third world health system, most expensive hospital in the world with private practice, NBP a joke, spent millions on a printer FFS, yes stupid indeed.

Should we bring back the parties that brought us from a €19bn deficit 7 years ago to a budget surplus or a bunch of populist morons with links to terrorists.

Give me a minute to think about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

smurgen wrote: »
    The journal debunked it. But sure Leo has gone to trump levels of lying as of late.

He said 20,000 people.

The households on the waiting list is 20,000.

People are mixing these up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Some debunk it, others back it up. There is no global definition of homelessness.

Journal debunks, Belfast telegraph says it is
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/20000-northern-ireland-households-are-now-homeless-37719853.html

And if we used the NI definition of homelessness apparently our figure would be 45k.

He said 20,000 people.

The households on the waiting list is 20,000.

People are mixing these up.

They're not homeless. Our figure would be 45k if that was the metric.

Typical arrogance there FH, if they don't vote the way i want, they are stupid,

You and Charlie Flanagan should get along like a house on fire.

Lol - Still laughing at you calling it "a draw".

If ever a clearer sign was needed that MLM had her arse handed to her.

• Advertisement

I sat down to watch last night with an open mind and I’m still part of the undecided 17% after it.

Couple of things -

What does the “nobody pays usc on their first 30,000” equate to in real money? Remember this was a temporary tax.

Also when MLM was going on about rent freezes she mentioned tax credits. Her plan wasn’t expanded on so I’m none the wiser if it’s in the form of a tax credit, a freeze or both.

On a human level. I really hope MLM got a good nights sleep last night. She looks tired and like someone said earlier in the thread, I thought she was going to cry too. Why oh why didn’t her team prep her on what was actually said about Paul Quinn? She looked very bad talking about it.

They're not homeless. Our figure would be 45k if that was the metric.

I know and he wasn't saying they were.

If he was then 20,000 househilds would be around 80,000 people.

He said 20,000 people not households.

Should we bring back the parties that brought us from a €19bn deficit 7 years ago to a budget surplus or a bunch of populist morons with links to terrorists.

Give me a minute to think about that one.

That's currently year expenditure.overall government debt has risen while we've not invested in infrastructure.they've effectively got nothing to show our time of longest growth.i shudder to think what FG would do at an economy retracting rather than expanding.

Same as the USC. But looks like thats just going to be fiddled with and not removed?

I cant vote FF and I cant vote FG. Im left wondering, like a lot of people, should I vote SF? Maybe thats why Mary Lou didnt deter me last night. Im holding on to the straw that maybe they might be ok and could they do any worse than the other two?

You want lower taxes on work-income but you're going to vote SF?

Good luck with that strategy.

You do realise that they are promising to ramp up the dole, pension spending, social housing spending, everything spending basically - where do you think they are going to come looking for the money for that?

I know and he wasn't saying they were.

If he was then 20,000 househilds would be around 80,000 people.

He said 20,000 people not households.

Jesus you're waffling as bad as him.look up the party line and stick to it please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I sat down to watch last night with an open mind and I’m still part of the undecided 17% after it.

Couple of things -

What does the “nobody pays usc on their first 30,000” equate to in real money? Remember this was a temporary tax.

Also when MLM was going on about rent freezes she mentioned tax credits. Her plan wasn’t expanded on so I’m none the wiser if it’s in the form of a tax credit, a freeze or both.

On a human level. I really hope MLM got a good nights sleep last night. She looks tired and like someone said earlier in the thread, I thought she was going to cry too. Why oh why didn’t her team prep her on what was actually said about Paul Quinn? She looked very bad talking about it.

SF figures , it will cost 1.2 billion

Jesus you're waffling as bad as him.look up the party line and stick to it please.

I think there is 6,000 listed as homeless in NI.

Just looked it up.

Proof that noone really can ever solve it.

As every country has homeless.

SF claim they can solve it though. Kind of looks a silly claim now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

You want lower taxes on work-income but you're going to vote SF?

Good luck with that strategy.

You do realise that they are promising to ramp up the dole, pension spending, social housing spending, everything spending basically - where do you think they are going to come looking for the money for that?

But the USC isnt supposed to be a crutch for the economy. Thats my point. It was supposed to be gone in2015 wasit not?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lol - Still laughing at you calling it "a draw".

If ever a clearer sign was needed that MLM had her arse handed to her.

I was in with that opinion ten minutes before the neutral observer on RTE's panel gave the debate to Mary Lou on her own.

You no doubt are laughing at her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mrs Quinn was contacted because Lynn Boylan said on Sunday morning that 'people are fed up with victims being exploited' and Brendan O'Connor taking umbrage because she said it.

Paul Quinn, brutal and terrible as his murder was, is being used in this election, like Jean McConville is routinely, like Maria Cahill was etc etc. If SF represent a threat to this state then they are a threat to this state in any capacity, national or local. The electorate are having their say and at the moment they are more popular than FG and FF.

It is time to be honest about this and time to stop using victims.

Don't think you're doing SF any favours by listing names of the various victims. I mean while you're at it you could name Robert McCartney knifed to death in front of a pub full of supporters who saw nothing!

Calhoun wrote: »

It got fairly dicey at some points the anger in the room, FG if it wants to stay in power has to get across that it hears the anger from the public. It has to say it has listened and understood and i don't think that message is getting out.

Nail on head.

The reason FG are behind in the polls is their inability to empathize with the electorate. No good telling me to get a loan or gift from my parents for a deposit because they haven't a cent between them. On paper I'm well paid and so, not eligible for the help to buy scheme. In reality, after rent and bills I've a lean couple of weeks ahead of me until payday when the cycle can begin again.

FG need to tell me what they are going to do for me. Its very easy for SF to make promises. They've got no track record in power, they might renege on them or they might follow through.

FG:"The USC is a temporary tax".
    FG:"we can't afford to disband the USC. Its staying"

I think there is 6,000 listed as homeless in NI.

Just looked it up.

Proof that noone really can ever solve it.

As every country has homeless.

SF claim they can solve it though. Kind of looks a silly claim now.

If you're happy with the leader of the current government lying live on TV to deflect against his failure as leader that's fine by me.i just won't be supporting it come Saturday.

If you're happy with the leader of the current government lying live on TV to deflect against his failure as leader that's fine by me.i just won't be supporting it come Saturday.

But you'll support Mary Lou who was blatantly caught lying on live TV last night!!

Some double standards there.

SF figures , it will cost 1.2 billion

Just done a quick calculation. If you earn over 30,000 that will be 656 back in your pocket.

What I haven’t seen though is what the rate will be after that 30,000. It’s currently 4.5% up to income of 70,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

McMurphy wrote: »
    Is there a leadership coup stirring within FG?

I see the Indo are running with a headline hinting at one.

Not sure about FG but I would say their definitely is one stirring in SF!

• Advertisement

But you'll support Mary Lou who was blatantly caught lying on live TV last night!!

Some double standards there.

Never mind having pops at somebody you won't vote for anyway. What do you think of your leader being caught lying about an important issue.

I thought this would be Mary Lou's last chance and she be gone had SF numbers gone down again,

Where do you see signs of a split?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Never mind having pops at somebody you won't vote for anyway. What do you think of your leader being caught lying about an important issue.

Theres no answer in the above
    It does contain two stand out words though 'what' and 'about'

The IRA were shown last night to still be Sinn Feins Achille's heel

Mortelaro wrote: »

They shouldn't have been brought up and if ancient history was to be dragged up then surely the RIC celebrations defended by FG should have been given equal weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Rte radio, 4 random people from balbriggan asked about last nights debate and who they are voting for, 2 for sf,1 fg,1 for an independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

They shouldn't have been brought up and if ancient history was to be dragged up then surely the RIC celebrations defended by FG should have been given equal weight?

Ancient history is not 13 years ago
    That's an incredibly insensitive comment
    MLM did not take that attitude because it wouldn't fly
    She would have been rounded on even more and rightly so

The 'IRA' were not involved in Paul Quinn's murder as an organisation. FACT, no whatabout's. The independent international agency tasked to monitor such things The IMC, said so clearly at the time. They said, some of those involved were members of the IRA but it had no sanction at an organisational level. They also said that it was a local dispute about smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Of course there will, because party's usually switch leaders when they're surging in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Were you expecting the mother of an RIC man beaten to death by the IRA to ring in looking for an apology for a Sinn Fein minister calling him a criminal?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Ancient history is not 13 years ago
    That's an incredibly insensitive comment
    MLM did not take that attitude because it wouldn't fly
    She would have been rounded on even more and rightly so

It's incredible insensitive to feign outstrage at certain victims and not others. Seems like FG can celebrate certain murderers as long as the victim is ordinary Irish folk.

Advertisement