Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Maybe they should have asked Micheal Martin about all the suicides his party had a hand in after the crash.

**** in suits are never seen as criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    Paul Quinn was beaten to death in 2007, hardly the era of the Troubles.

by people who had nothing to do with SF

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The three UCD students agreed that Mary Lou came out best, and that she had addressed their issues, one of the students also said that Sinn Fein would supply 100.000 new homes, but that Labour would only provide 80.000, so Sinn Fein was best :o

Ah bless, the innocence of youth.

Switched off before listening to their idealistic whining. SF infiltrate all those public platforms as they do social media. It’s virtually impossible to have an opposing social media account these days without their minions taking it over. So no surprise to hear that was the opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

markodaly wrote: »
    You see, people in these communities know who these men are. Its the same with the Quinn kidnapping. The Provos are now hired goons to do drity work, but is the ordinary Joe Soap going to go against the PIRA and SF?

These guys still strike fear into some communities.

Francie just admitted that he and everyone knows who was behind this murder. Yet not one charge was brought forward.
    This tells its own story, and people want these people in government? :rolleyes:

says the northern expert

• Registered Users Posts: 69,186 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »

Francie just admitted that he and everyone knows who was behind this murder. Yet not one charge was brought forward.
    This tells its own story, and people want these people in government? :rolleyes:

I can understand your view here if you support Special Powers for Gardai and Courts.

There is the matter of 'evidence' that will stand in a court.
    Direct your questions to those tasked with bringing people to justice.

• Advertisement

Peter Casey shows the protest vote is in Ireland.

Sinn Fein mightn't have the best policies, just like Peter Casey didn't but at least he said what we were all thinking. And ML is doing the same, calling out FG and FF for being the same party and being the party of the landlord and developer. Peter Casey got 23% and that's in a field with Miggledy who everyone loves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jaysus poor Leo, a reasonable effort last night yet Noonan already sticking in the knife. To top it all Donald Risk cancelled his visit to help canvass with Leo.
    Rats and ship springs to mind.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/noonan-backs-donohoe-to-be-fine-gael-leader-as-pressure-mounts-on-varadkar-38928193.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yes, I can see how somebody who clearly, based on their previous posting, wants to maintain the power swap in this country, could look at the debate in that light.

The issue is, how many are like you I suppose.

So it is wrong to have a power swap 'power sharing' in the ROI - SF anti-establishment on the outside. But no problem to have power sharing a 'power swap' in NI with SF as part of the establishment?

No matter what you say about FF/FG the simple fact is they do not have the same sort of shadows and bad smells that follow them around like SF do.
    What is the worst FF/FG did in the past? Corrupt politicians and so on, normal political failings. CJ Haughey, Ivor Callely, Micheal Lowry, Liam Lawlor, Maria Bailey.

What is the worst SF have done? Covered up murders, called the victims criminal, not cooperated with police, anti the rule of law. All of which rared thier heads again last night.

These are the parts SF need to distance themselves from and cleanse themselves of. The corruption part can easily be solved for FG/FF they can just be got rid of from the party. But in SF's case some people literally have to be buried. That is the difference

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

Peter Casey shows the protest vote is in Ireland.

Sinn Fein mightn't have the best policies, just like Peter Casey didn't but at least he said what we were all thinking. And ML is doing the same, calling out FG and FF for being the same party and being the party of the landlord and developer. Peter Casey got 23% and that's in a field with Miggledy who everyone loves.

Speak for yourself. Peter Casey is a racist opportunistic c*** with f all to say for himself.

The question I’m asking myself is who should I be voting for to offer the checks and balances to a possible SF and others government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I can understand your view here if you support Special Powers for Gardai and Courts.

There is the matter of 'evidence' that will stand in a court.
    Direct your questions to those tasked with bringing people to justice.

Just curious Francie,do they even give you a teabreak there in SF HQ? You're up all night trying to defend them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The question I’m asking myself is who should I be voting for to offer the checks and balances to a possible SF and others government?

None of our lot are any good. Not one of them in the Sligo/leitrim area are worth a vote.

The state of McSharry and Harkin on VM1 last night, utter embarrassment to the constituency that those two will top the poll

Sinn Fein mightn't have the best policies,

So you just ignore this fact and vote for them regardless, makes sense.
    Surely it is critical that a serious political party has decent policies to take the next step - increase the demographic of those who vote for the party. Other than playing to the 'them and us' which is is all SF seem to be able do.

Just curious Francie,do they even give you a teabreak there in SF HQ? You're up all night trying to defend them.

Like everything else you guys throw, that comment has no back up either.

'Up all night'? :):)

My last post on this thread was at 12.59 last night.

Gormdubh was posting after 3am and is still posting...but 'Francie...HQ ...in the pay of SF etc etc etc' :):)

Franciebady has said it will be his first time voting SF and he is not SF supporter.
    But I honestly think he would have done a much better job than Mary Lou did in last nights debate.
    I dunno what that says but there you go!

Necro wrote: »
    None of our lot are any good. Not one of them in the Sligo/leitrim area are worth a vote.

The state of McSharry and Harkin on VM1 last night, utter embarrassment to the constituency that those two will top the poll

On a personal level, McSharry was of great assistance to me a few years ago. Yeah, I know, a general election is about the country not the person. But the issue I had is felt nationwide by many, many people. I must read up on his literature again. I’ll be giving him a vote but I don’t know which number.

Why don’t we have an SD candidate?

pjohnson wrote: »
    FF and FG acolytes doing great. Dragging things back to the troubles to try and distract from their own far more recent disasters.

Yeah it is funny how SF try to paint the troubles as so long ago, sweep it under the carpet. Yet, are first in the queue for any Republican commemoration no matter what the date in history. Sure just leave out the inconvenient parts. Yet, many in SF still refer to each other as 'comrade/comrádaí' aping the echoes of the armed struggle etc. Talk about picking and choosing! One foot in and one foot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maccored wrote: »
    by people who had nothing to do with SF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Paul_Quinn

"The people believed locally to have been responsible for directing the murder of Paul Quinn, who had every major bone in his body broken in a prolonged beating with iron bars and pickaxe handles by nine men, are brothers, both long-serving IRA men who are heavily involved in fuel smuggling. They are also closely associated with Thomas Murphy, the local IRA boss who holds sway over what is now a crime empire in the border area."

Thomas Murphy is Gerry Adam's good republican, and Gerry has long said that Sinn Fein will always stand by what the IRA have done.

So you just ignore this fact and vote for them regardless, makes sense.
    Surely it is critical that a serious political party has decent policies to take the next step - increase the demographic of those who vote for the party. Other than playing to the 'them and us' which is is all SF seem to be able do.

Sorry, should read, Sinn Feins policies are as achievable as the other two.

FF & FG have completely failed the young people of this country.

I'm not far from 30, had to move to a city for a decent job. I'm in a decent job and I'm stuck paying massive rents in a run down place sharing with clowns.

It's no life!

Franciebady has said it will be his first time voting SF and he is not SF supporter.
    But I honestly think he would have done a much better job than Mary Lou did in last nights debate.
    I dunno what that says but there you go!

The reality is gormdubh, is that the purpose of 'victim exploitation' is that no answer is going to be the right one.
    No matter what Mary Lou said last night it would have been the wrong answer.

These are the same people who called for SF to get rid of Gerry Adams because he was 'tainted'.

Here is yet another leader being tainted.

What people are realising is, that it is all a ploy. It has been seen through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

/quote]

Well Gerry Adams said he was never a member of the provost so there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

/quote]

He was a British mole :p

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I'm not far from 30, had to move to a city for a decent job. I'm in a decent job and I'm stuck paying massive rents in a run down place sharing with clowns.

It's no life!

This is it. Renting in Ireland is a f***king disaster. Grand if your'e a student but otherwise? Having to share your home with strangers while working your b***ocks off and no sign of FF&FG doing anything meaningful to change the situation. Meanwhile those that don't work get A rated houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The reality is gormdubh, is that the purpose of 'victim exploitation' is that no answer is going to be the right one.

These are the same people who called for SF to get rid of Gerry Adams because he was 'tainted'.

Sinn Fein are clearly not ready yet to enter government, that is patently clear from last night's debate.
    Mary Lou's reluctance to support the Special Criminal Courts stands out, supporting this court is a prerequisite if you seriously want to run the country (with the current justice system), a system which still rankles with the Provo wing of her Sinn Fein

So many of their comrades have been banged up thanks to the S.C Courts, hence her non committal stance..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because the party is very small and is mainly comprised of ex-Labour members. In Sligo-Leitrim I'd say those are more likely to coalesce around Bree.

Francie 'Up all night' Brady you mean?

Amazing the way you people need your boogeymen so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Are the west brits of the country going to drag up **** that nobody cares about again in 5 years time? It’s pathetic. Rte don’t give a duck about Paul Quinn they are afraid of paying higher tax on their scandalous salary’s that’s the fact of it. They will be back taking a few lines of coke with their Brandy’s at the wkend and the Quinn’s Will be far from their mind.

Sinn Fein are clearly not ready yet to enter government, that is patently clear from last night's debate.
    Mary Lou's reluctance to support the Special Criminal Courts stands out, supporting this court is a prerequisite if you seriously want to run the country (with the current justice system), a system which still rankles with the Provo wing of her Sinn Fein

So many of their comrades have been banged up thanks to the S.C Courts, hence her non committal stance..

A woman who heavily criticised it in the same terms as Amnesty and The ICCL and SF did, became our president afterwards.

Was she not ready either?

Do you not see Francie that it is the SF party that is tainted? As they have difficulty honestly confronting the past due to playing two different games in two different jurisdictions.
    Gerry Adams for example great politician, but I had no respect for him as he was not honest about his membership of the IRA. Also if he did not join surely he was letting down his comrades?

Martin McGuinness I had great respect for him he was honest about his past in the IRA and did not shy away from it. Voted for him in the 2011 presidential election.

Mary Lou is tarnished by not being able to distant herself from instances where SF and the IRA became entwined in the public consciousness thanks to Conor Murphy.
    It will take a long time for SF to be able to do this and behave like a normal party while republicans kill innocent people like Paul Quinn, then refer to Quinn as a criminal.

I cannot think of a time where FG/FF tried to distance themselves from comments a party member made about murder.

In my view last nights debate has shown me that SF need to be more honest about these issues. In the way Martin McGuinness was, so they can win the floating voter over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

On a personal level, McSharry was of great assistance to me a few years ago. Yeah, I know, a general election is about the country not the person. But the issue I had is felt nationwide by many, many people. I must read up on his literature again. I’ll be giving him a vote but I don’t know which number.

I just don't like him on a personal level but I guess if he helped you fair enough.

Because they'd be slaughtered like the green and Labour candidates will be in the polls

People just don't vote outside the big 3 (or Harkin for whatever reason)

Advertisement