Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

25% of the vote with candidates at the same level as the two main parties would see a massive increase in seats. Push the percentage vote up and it isn't hard to see a landslide result to an election.

Francie my friend, I like your posts but it just isn't going to happen in this election or in 5 years time.

I can see SF making slow gains and if they stopped with fairies and unicorns and magic money tree stuff, owned up to their past AND stopped their own policies being governed by non elected (and to be clear, I mean by you or me, not SF members) representatives then they might be appealing.

It will take at current growth rate at least 4 terms of government before SF have anything like an arses roar of being in with a chance of being the senior party in a coalition imho. I'm not sure their growth is sustainable to FF or FG levels though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yes thought that was oddly timed days before an election. You'd know Dinny is out. Noonan must have it in for Varadkar.
    They've an article, opinion piece, on ML with a picture of Lyra McKee and reference how she was shot by the 'new IRA'. At least the bias and blarney is multiparty.
    You would think we'd nothing to concern ourselves with before they used Paul Quinn's mother.
    It's like your house is on fire and you ask the closest fire truck about Paul Quinn, the answer dependent on whether you let them take a go at the flames.

Personally I think Noonan is trying to protect the seat of Paschal. It's suggested his seat is in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Necro wrote: »
    Francie my friend, I like your posts but it just isn't going to happen in this election or in 5 years time.

I can see SF making slow gains and if they stopped with fairies and unicorns and magic money tree stuff, owned up to their past AND stopped their own policies being governed by non elected (and to be clear, I mean by you or me, not SF members) representatives then they might be appealing.

It will take at current growth rate at least 4 terms of government before SF have anything like an arses roar of being in with a chance of being the senior party in a coalition imho. I'm not sure their growth is sustainable to FF or FG levels though.

If they had a full set of candidates running like FF and FG and got 25% of the vote they'd be competing with FF and FG in seat numbers in this election. :)

Not sure what parallel universe you are living in.

Duffy having a pop at SF on his show now too.

It's full on from the usual crew. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

maccored wrote: »
    I said that? Cop on and stop digging. I made a reference to the fact a hospital can be built in 10 days and here we are waiting years and years for a really expensive one.

So you are using the Chinese model of building as a benchmark speed, not necessarily quality.

Well done!

Do you know the main reason why China can build a prefab hospital in ten days?
    Primarily because it is an authoritarian state.
    Now, I guess you don't want Ireland to turn into China do you.
    So again, what is your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Why can't the media just leave S.F. alone?
    It's nor fair that they pick on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Very obvious media offensive against SF & Mary Lou today, I don't think it's going to have much impact on what happens this weekend though.
    I remember the murder and disappearance of Jean McConville was used against Adams but with MLMcD now in charge the media attention must turn to something more recent and Paul Quinn replaces Jean McConville.
    Same old bias from RTE, the names only change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If they had a full set of candidates running like FF and FG and got 25% of the vote they'd be competing with FF and FG in seat numbers in this election.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle :)

The fact is, they don't. And the reason they don't is because of how poorly they performed in the local and EU elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

markodaly wrote: »
    So you are using the Chinese model of building as a benchmark speed, not necessarily quality.

Well done!

Do you know the main reason why China can build a prefab hospital in ten days?
    Primarily because it is an authoritarian state.
    Now, I guess you don't want Ireland to turn into China do you.
    So again, what is your point?

Seriously - whats your point? Has it anything to do with the thread? Focus on that, rather than whataboutery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As i've said elsewhere, if Paul Quiin was from Blanchards town FF/FG and the media wouldn't give a f***.
    I feel for his mother, especially when her phone calls go unanswered after Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes thought that was oddly timed days before an election. You'd know Dinny is out. Noonan must have it in for Varadkar.
    They've an article, opinion piece, on ML with a picture of Lyra McKee and reference how she was shot by the 'new IRA'. At least the bias and blarney is multiparty.
    You would think we'd nothing to concern ourselves with before they used Paul Quinn's mother.
    It's like your house is on fire and you ask the closest fire truck about Paul Quinn, the answer dependent on whether you let them take a go at the flames.

You are claiming Paul Quinn’s mother was used by the opponents of Sinn Fein?

You have that the wrong way round.

Paul Quinn’s mother used Sinn Féin’s opponents to force Sinn Fein to tell the truth after 13 years.

Why have Sinn Fein decided to admit to their deception and apologise 2 days before an election?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Necro wrote: »
    If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle :)

The fact is, they don't. And the reason they don't is because of how poorly they performed in the local and EU elections.

And the other fact is, it is quite possible...most probable actually, that the aprty will now expand and be in a position to challenge and finally break the power swap.
    FF and FG going back into a 'tweedle dum and tweedle dee' setup plays into their ambitions...is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

Personally I think Noonan is trying to protect the seat of Paschal. It's suggested his seat is in danger.

They've 2 FG candiates running in Dublin Central which I think will hurt him

As i've said elsewhere, if Paul Quiin was from Blanchards town FF/FG and the media wouldn't give a f***.
    I feel for his mother, especially when her phone calls go unanswered after Saturday.

No you don’t!

optogirl wrote: »
    They've 2 FG candiates running in Dublin Central which I think will hurt him

Noonans behaviour by endorsing Paschal is to inform the FG voters in the area and hopefully sway undecideds that they may have a future party leader/ Taoiseach in the area and all the goodies that would accompany same.

I think Breege Quinn would be better off asking Leo why he never tasked the Garda Commissioner to crack down on border smuggling gangs the way he did when Kevin Lunney got savagely beaten.

A week on from the Garda Commissioner getting involved there (and 8 years after a campaign of intimidation and violence, resulting in no arrests began!)...police were knocking on the door of a house in Manchester and it was all over.

I think Breege Quinn would be better off asking Leo why he never tasked the Garda Commissioner to crack down on border smuggling gangs the way he did when Kevin Lunney got savagely beaten.

A week on from the Garda Commissioner getting involved there (and 8 years after a campaign of intimidation and violence, resulting in no arrests began!)...police were knocking on the door of a house in Manchester and it was all over.

Of course you do.

Noonans behaviour by endorsing Paschal is to inform the FG voters in the area and hopefully sway undecideds that they may have a future party leader/ Taoiseach in the area and all the goodies that would accompany same.

Does that really bear out? Do constituencies of Taoisigh benefit? If anything I would presume that your 'local' representation is actually gone given the workload of a Taoiseach.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are claiming Paul Quinn’s mother was used by the opponents of Sinn Fein?

You have that the wrong way round.

Paul Quinn’s mother used Sinn Féin’s opponents to force Sinn Fein to tell the truth after 13 years.

Why have Sinn Fein decided to admit to their deception and apologise 2 days before an election?

I doubt it. Do you think the woman only began raising the issue in the last week? Or maybe FF/FG/RTE only heard about Paul Quinn this week, like most of us I'd imagine.

No you don’t!

Ran out of road? I really do. I don't think FF/FG will be all over it after Saturday. Do you?

• Advertisement

Ran out of road? I really do. I don't think FF/FG will be all over it after Saturday. Do you?

Supporting victim blaming then feeling for the relatives?

Not credible.

Ms. Quinn will hopefully get what she is looking for this afternoon but if not it will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

The media campaign against sf won’t really matter it’s only old dinasours that listen to Sean o rourke and the likes so they must try harder.

Of course you do.

Sorry to burst your bubble there SS.

What is suggested in my post is an actual solution that requires those pretending to care to get off their arses and do something for the public good. Not just because it is expedient to do it.

If you believe people are smuggling, then act as the government of the country should act.

Does that really bear out? Do constituencies of Taoisigh benefit? If anything I would presume that your 'local' representation is actually gone given the workload of a Taoiseach.

If you don't believe it benefits their locality I see no reason to try and prove otherwise to you. Tullamore hospital benefited greatly during Cowens tenure .

Supporting victim blaming then feeling for the relatives?

Not credible.

Ms. Quinn will hopefully get what she is looking for this afternoon but if not it will continue.

Decrying using victims to score points. If he were beaten to death in a working class burb of Dublin it would be news for a day or two and forgotten. I doubt Flanagan would even comment. So no, I don't believe the faux outrage and do not like victims or their families being used so cheaply.
    I hope ML stands firm and does not bow to this politically motivated bull****. Leave these things to the authorities. Maybe if they went after the perpetrators rather than ML Mrs. Quinn might get better closure.

Sorry to burst your bubble there SS.

What is suggested in my post is an actual solution that requires those pretending to care to get off their arses and do something for the public good. Not just because it is expedient to do it.

If you believe people are smuggling, then act as the government of the country should act.

Don’t talk about expediency when a Sinn Fein apology to a murder victims family comes 13 years after the murder, 2 days before an election.
    Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I remember the murder and disappearance of Jean McConville was used against Adams but with MLMcD now in charge the media attention must turn to something more recent and Paul Quinn replaces Jean McConville.
    Same old bias from RTE, the names only change.

One would imagine the obvious solution was for SF associates to stop abducting, torturing and murdering people.

If you don't believe it benefits their locality I see no reason to try and prove otherwise to you. Tullamore hospital benefited greatly during Cowens tenure .

I was genuinely asking whether it bears out because I don't know. You, of course, don't need to prove anything to me but not being quite so snippy about being asked a question on a discussion board might be an idea.

Decrying using victims to score points. If he were beaten to death in a working class burb of Dublin it would be news for a day or two and forgotten. I doubt Flanagan would even comment. So no, I don't believe the faux outrage and do not like victims or their families being used so cheaply.
    I hope ML stands firm and does not bow to this politically motivated bull****. Leave these things to the authorities. Maybe if they went after the perpetrators rather than ML Mrs. Quinn might get better closure.

So now your saying that you hope the mother who you say you feel for doesn’t get what she says would make her feel better?

Right. Very clear, honest position there.

• Advertisement

I was genuinely asking whether it bears out because I don't know. You, of course, don't need to prove anything to me but not being quite so snippy about being asked a question on a discussion board might be an idea.

It is easy to find out what benefits an area gets by having a senior government minister or in particular a Taoiseach representing them. I find it strange that someone would not believe that to be the case. Mayo during the last government enjoyed significantly more that its share of Lotto funding, guess who was the Taoiseach then and the minister .

Advertisement