Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General Election TV debates

Comments

You're obviously an avid SF supporter- regulars here know that. So can I ask you a question- do you think the SF approach in this election maximises their vote or could they have gone about things differently, a more fresh, modern approach?

They'll certainly increase their seats, that we know at this stage- but winning over older voters who may have been against them in the past? I don't think they've done half as much as they could have.

What's your view?

No reply Francie?

I know it's a difficult question but I thought you'd at least attempt an answer. SF avoiding the difficult questions again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it was an Instagram video.
    I'm not fully sure about the legalities of it.

He should be running the country and not at the gym.
    Is he meant to be in work all day?! Is he not allowed to do anything outside of work? What an absolutely ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fairly much on the money here IMO.

Person 1: What’s all this about Paul Quinn? Who is he?

Person 2: He’s a young man from South Armagh who was brutally murdered by a gang of men in 2007.

Person 1: Yuck. Sounds ghastly.

Person 2: Apparently it was. I could give you details but I won’t.

Person 1: Thanks for that. But why is it in the news now?

Person 2: Sinn Féin’s Conor Murphy at the time asked the local IRA if they were involved and they said they weren’t.

Person 1: Did anyone else agree with him?

Person 2: Yes indeed. The Taoiseach at the time, Bertie Ahern, said he believed it was part of a criminal feud.

Person 1: Did he base this belief on anything?

Person 2: He did. Reports from from both the gardaí and the PSNI, he said, who judged it was part of a criminal feud.

Person 1: Well, that’s that, then.

Person 2: Not quite. Paul Quinn’s mother has called on Conor Murphy to apologise for suggesting her son had any criminal links, to give the names of the people he spoke to back then to the PSNI, and to resign as Finance Minister.

Person 1: Crikey. Doesn’t seem to believe Bertie, then. Or the cops.

Person 2: It appears not.

Person 1: But all this happened in 2007, you say?

Person 2: It did.

Person 1: So why this sudden attention to the case? Has it anything to do with the election coming up on Saturday?

Person 2: Pass.

Person 1: But presumably Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have scrupulously avoided making this young man’s death an election issue?

Person 2: Au contraire. They’ve been using it like there were just three days to voting day and Sinn Féin were top of the last opinion poll.

Person 1: Yuck. A bit distasteful, that.

Person 2: But not unique.

Person 1: How’d you mean?

Person 2: Well, when Martin McGuinness was running for president in 2011, a man jumped in front of the TV cameras and accused him of knowing who killed his father.

Person 1: Oh.

Person 2: And in 2014, just before voting day, Gerry Adams was arrested about the death of Jean McConville.

Person 1: Mmm. Something of a pattern emerging then.

Person 2: There were those who predicted the kitchen sink would be thrown at the Shinners this week.

Person 1: But I’m sure Leo and Micheál are purely motivated by compassion for Mrs Quinn.

Person 2: You may be right. Both men have big hearts. Which ache over carefully selected tragedies.

Person 1: So housing and health are no longer top of the agenda in this election?

Person 2: Well yes. Except Leo and Micheál and the media both sides of the border seem to have largely shelved those issues.

Person 1: So are Leo and Micheál hoping to make political capital out of this tragedy?

Person 2: What a shocking thing to say. Leo and Micheál are honourable men. As are the members of their parties. They are all honorable men. And women.

Person 1: That sounds like Shakespeare. Julius Caesar?

Person 2: Correct. Mark Antony’s speech at Caesar’s graveside. He used Caesar’s death to whip up the mob.

Person 1: But that was just a play. Not real life.

Person 2: Of course.

Person 1: Are the voters raising the Quinn case at the doorstep?

Person 2: Don’t think so. More houses and jobs and health, really.

Person 1: But Leo and Micheál are – you surely don’t mean Leo and Micheál are using this death – which happened thirteen years ago – as a way of halting Sinn Féin’s rise in the polls?

Person 2: What a shocking thing to say. See you on Saturday. Toodle-pip.

Save
    Share70://www.judecollins.com/2020/02/a-conversation-about-paul-quinns-death/?fbclid=IwAR3f49aty1Yy3Ia7bswkcwksRnXEDYgL6rwYhkwdtpg-bB3GfSvr22QUwq8

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

gmisk wrote: »
    Is he meant to be in work all day?! Is he not allow to do anything outside of work? What a ridiculous comment.

I agree. And I'm not a fan of Leo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Paddy power are spilt on 5/6 over 28.5 seats and 5/6 under 28.5 seats

Was 24.5 just the other day.

• Advertisement

There's actually a video going around of Leo at the gym this morning and people were giving out that he was there.

Need to be fit if you're running around the country pressing the flesh- he's a regular jogger around the Blanchardstown/Castleknock area - Michael Martin also goes a mile a minute -I'd prefer my leader to be physically fit than some over-weight oaf :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

When will people realise that the politicians don't "run the country " They set policies and pass legislation but the public service runs the country.

I agree. And I'm not a fan of Leo
    I am no fan either.
    But a person is allowed to have a bloody life outside of work!
    It's not as if he is going around clubbing seals!

MLMD has had the best publicity ever by making a tit of herself regarding the nefarious activities of SF.

Very glad she appeared on the debate. It is not that she was not a decent debater, it was more that she had to toe the party line regarding SCC, murders and so on. That's what got me. The rest of her debating was ok up to that.

But the Army Council had an earpiece in her ear anyway.

If you are going to respond at least answer the question in the post.

Who has wahh wahhed 'about being allowed on it'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Person 2: He’s a young man from South Armagh who was brutally murdered by a gang of men in 2007.
    Still not voting SF Francie??

Person 2: Sinn Féin’s Conor Murphy at the time asked the local IRA if they were involved and they said they weren’t.

Person 2: Yes indeed. The Taoiseach at the time, Bertie Ahern, said he believed it was part of a criminal feud.

Person 2: He did. Reports from from both the gardaí and the PSNI, he said, who judged it was part of a criminal feud.

Person 2: Not quite. Paul Quinn’s mother has called on Conor Murphy to apologise for suggesting her son had any criminal links, to give the names of the people he spoke to back then to the PSNI, and to resign as Finance Minister.

Person 1: So why this sudden attention to the case? Has it anything to do with the election coming up on Saturday?

Person 1: But presumably Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have scrupulously avoided making this young man’s death an election issue?

Person 2: Au contraire. They’ve been using it like there were just three days to voting day and Sinn Féin were top of the last opinion poll.

Person 2: Well, when Martin McGuinness was running for president in 2011, a man jumped in front of the TV cameras and accused him of knowing who killed his father.

Person 2: And in 2014, just before voting day, Gerry Adams was arrested about the death of Jean McConville.

Person 2: There were those who predicted the kitchen sink would be thrown at the Shinners this week.

Person 1: But I’m sure Leo and Micheál are purely motivated by compassion for Mrs Quinn.

Person 2: You may be right. Both men have big hearts. Which ache over carefully selected tragedies.

Person 1: So housing and health are no longer top of the agenda in this election?

Person 2: Well yes. Except Leo and Micheál and the media both sides of the border seem to have largely shelved those issues.

Person 1: So are Leo and Micheál hoping to make political capital out of this tragedy?

Person 2: What a shocking thing to say. Leo and Micheál are honourable men. As are the members of their parties. They are all honorable men. And women.

Person 2: Correct. Mark Antony’s speech at Caesar’s graveside. He used Caesar’s death to whip up the mob.

Person 1: But Leo and Micheál are – you surely don’t mean Leo and Micheál are using this death – which happened thirteen years ago – as a way of halting Sinn Féin’s rise in the polls?

Save
    Share70://www.judecollins.com/2020/02/a-conversation-about-paul-quinns-death/?fbclid=IwAR3f49aty1Yy3Ia7bswkcwksRnXEDYgL6rwYhkwdtpg-bB3GfSvr22QUwq8

Still not a SF voter Francie??

Spoof:)

• Advertisement

Save

Did you not get the memo? SFHQ have officially apologised. You no longer need to "defend" the party line.

Check your emails and texts- the party line has now officially changed. Ceasefire! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That's true I suppose BTW did you see the head of Gerry lately. He's like something out of Harry Potter!
    Nope, probably wouldn't recognise him. I see Bertie scurrying about the place like a red nosed rodent, though.

But to be honest, it wasn't his looks that made me dislike him.

It'd be a special kind of voter that looks for that in a politician.

If only you would Francie-Baby- if only you would.

No reply Francie?

I know it's a difficult question but I thought you'd at least attempt an answer. SF avoiding the difficult questions again?

Ssshh. Francie is after nodding off.Poor little lads been on the keyboard all night and day defending SF.

When will people realise that the politicians don't "run the country " They set policies and pass legislation but the public service runs the country.
    But TDs are the heads of the departments with the public servants no?
    Well they have been in my experience.
    I worked for the department of education, DPER and a few others over the years.

No reply Francie?

Apologies, missed that.

I think SF strategists got it all wrong this time actually. I think they thought they'd be treading water at best.

I think they'll be very happy. Regardless of the 'victim exploitation' that was always going to come, they'll be seriously energised by this campaign, north and south.
    The demographic that won't consider voting for them at all is getting smaller and smaller too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

That's stupid thinking.

I think all the party leaders are looking wrecked and in need of a break.

If I am honest I think Leo had performed better than all the other party leaders in the last week. FG wont get my vote this time because of the caliber and greed of several of their TDs but Leo and Paschal are making good arguments.

Still not a SF voter Francie??

Spoof:)

Did you not hear. Francie is voting 1 and 2 for SF and independents after that then Lab, then the Greens.

For the first time in his life I am voting for SF in a GE and more importantly, not giving FF or FG a preference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can see SF with minimum 25-30 seats, Won't make any difference, FF/FG will not want to coalesce with them. But I am getting a feeling that FF might for some reason, haven't really worked it out in my head, as long as MM is Taoiseach there may be the usual words of compromise. But Then again maybe not. same might apply to FG but honestly, can you see it?

Such an interesting election really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Did you not hear. Francie is voting 1 and 2 for SF and independents after that then Lab, then the Greens.

For the first time in his life I am voting for SF in a GE and more importantly, not giving FF or FG a preference at all.

Yeahhhhhhhh riiiight!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who has wahh wahhed 'about being allowed on it'?

I think you doth protest too much. Shoo.

Can see SF with minimum 25-30 seats, Won't make any difference, FF/FG will not want to coalesce with them. But I am getting a feeling that FF might for some reason, haven't really worked it out in my head, as long as MM is Taoiseach there may be the usual words of compromise. But Then again maybe not. same might apply to FG but honestly, can you see it?

I said before this all started, it will be the similar as it is now, only with FF taking the lead and FG propping them up. They will between them get the numbers

Apologies, missed that.

I think SF strategists got it all wrong this time actually. I think they thought they'd be treading water at best.

I think they'll be very happy. Regardless of the 'victim exploitation' that was always going to come, they'll be seriously energised by this campaign, north and south.
    The demographic that won't consider voting for them at all is getting smaller and smaller too.

I disagree with you on the bolded part above, but in fairness fair play, you've answered the question. Thanks. :) Personally, I think they've missed a great opportunity and it may not come again- we'll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If FF need them, 100% MM will form a coalition if SF agree to it (of course they would).

It may have been said before, but there is no way MM is going to let himself go down in history as the first FF leader to not become Taoiseach.

Yeahhhhhhhh riiiight!!!!

Exactly the same reaction that Mary Lou would have gotten no matter what way she answered the 'have you stopped beating your husband' question (which is basically what the 'victim exploitation' stuff is designed to do).

Her answer would have been 'Wrong', no matter how she responded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There's actually a video going around of Leo at the gym this morning and people were giving out that he was there.

And people wonder why we have **** politicians? Especially in government (regardless of the money,)

Why would anyone do it , its just an open forum to be abused

And people wonder why we have **** politicians? Especially in government (regardless of the money,)

Why would anyone do it , its just an open forum to be abused
    Very true.
    Also see people protesting outside Simon Harris house...really ridiculous stuff.

Suckit wrote: »
    If FF need them, 100% MM will form a coalition if SF agree to it (of course they would).

It may have been said before, but there is no way MM is going to let himself go down in history as the first FF leader to not become Taoiseach.

I think the reality will be that people who may have wished to return to the fold, won't do so as he's still a relic of the old guard who helped to nearly destroy the country and place us in the position we're still trying to emerge from- he has to go- he'll never be Taoiseach, FF will win less votes than they ever thought they would, and he'll be replaced after the voting finishes.

Apologies, missed that.

+ as you said earlier you will be voting SF for the first time! It's all so exciting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What way are you swaying on voting (if you don't mind me asking)?

Agree with alot of your comments

Advertisement