Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So the Nordic way doesnt work as it's worst than Ireland.

Thanks we must be doing something right.

How do you define doing something right if year on year things are getting worse. Do you know what the homeless figure was before FG took office. I'll give you a clue , not as high as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How do you define doing something right if year on year things are getting worse. Do you know what the homeless figure was before FG took office. I'll give you a clue , not as high as now.

Homeless my hole.

More like Wasters and bullies who never tried in school and now the chickens are coming home.

I've zero sympathy.

This country will more than help you out if you fall on hard times, better than most countries in fact.

But don't con the people with im "entitled" to a house because some left wing party told me so.

The real number of homeless is the rough sleepers, around 150.

The people living rent free in hotels need to grow a set and provide for themselves.

This world owes you nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

lawred2 wrote: »
    Himself and Murphy have been buried by FG HQ for this election campaign.. an obvious attempt by FG to try and not talk about where they are failing the most.

True. Says it all really. They know they have failed badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭robwen

easypazz wrote: »
    And Timmy Dooley to be fair.

And lisa Chambers.

No doubt they will all reappear.

Unlike Sinn Fein, when you are disappeared you are gone for good, your body wont ever be found.

Lisa Chambers was live on 6.01 news yesterday, Dooley & Collins have been put into storage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So the Nordic way doesnt work as it's worst than Ireland.

Thanks we must be doing something right.

You only mentioned homeless.
    What about affordable housing? Do you not realize that people with good jobs are pissed at the cost of housing also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

smurgen wrote: »
    You only mentioned homeless.
    What about affordable housing? Do you not realize that people with good jobs are pissed at the cost of housing also?

I think Wasters paying 50 euro a week for a 3 bed house is quite affordable.

If they even bother paying it.

And you want more of this.

Absolute chancers.

I've explained why I might seem to be a SF voter many times here. Not getting into it again.
    You won't see me defending all of their policies here including their economic policy which I think is flaky and in need of a stint in a coalition government tbh.

I think they are ready now for coalition. Simple as.

And yes, my local Green is a first time 21 yr old and I will be giving him a preference purely for having the balls to stand up and be counted. He's a good community activist too.
    I have no time for the Irish Green party tbh.

I haven’t seen those posts, nor am I interested- but you’ll need to take responsibility for your posting style, as the likes of me and others see you as a “lover” of SF- it’s something you just have to accept. Or else change your posts.

I’m surprised you admit SF economic policies are “flakey” - I’ve no interest in a party that will “experiment” with my future.

As for voting Green, sorry. given your age, you’re either very wealthy, or have the onset of dementia- can you not remember just how bad they really were? And saying you’re voting “local” while disregarding their party line, is just a pure cop out.

I can see that the only thing you’re passionate about is your boards posts- everything else is secondary to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Housing has to be affordable, whether one opts to buy or rent. By building enough affordable housing each year the market cannot continue to run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Absolute chancers.

A colossal part of the problem providing expensive housing for a pittance. The system is ****ed. Was watching yet another political debate tonight. It’s all a waste of time and waffle. The system is just too ****ed to address the problems. There are going to be huge seat losses to the left though , there are just so many working people , who would traditionally vote ffg , who are so screwed by the crisis , that they are going to start voting, as, sf , aontu etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    True. Says it all really. They know they have failed badly.

Will SF/FF succeed in their place? I fkn doubt it.

Things like Health where Union rules will NEVER change for the benefit of the clients. Who would challenge them.

That is why Health is Fkd in this country. No one can challenge anyone to provide better services. Any challenge and its Off they go to their Union Rep.

Correct me if I am wrong, quite prepared to be told off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Homeless my hole.

More like Wasters and bullies who never tried in school and now the chickens are coming home.

I've zero sympathy.

This country will more than help you out if you fall on hard times, better than most countries in fact.

But don't con the people with im "entitled" to a house because some left wing party told me so.

The real number of homeless is the rough sleepers, around 150.

The people living rent free in hotels need to grow a set and provide for themselves.

This world owes you nothing.
    If only people accepted your definition and not those silly internationally recognised ones. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Absolute chancers.

You call ordinary citizens of our state who you don't know the circumstances of wasters all the time yet i seen you fein outrage at a Paul Quinn comment going back years ago. You are a strange strange bunch. Bi polar from thread to thread

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I haven’t seen those posts, nor am I interested- but you’ll need to take responsibility for your posting style, as the likes of me and others see you as a “lover” of SF- it’s something you just have to accept. Or else change your posts.

I am not too bothered what people think tbh. I have my own mind and apologise to nobody for having it.
    I’m surprised you admit SF economic policies are “flakey” - I’ve no interest in a party that will “experiment” with my future.

As for voting Green, sorry. given your age, you’re either very wealthy, or have the onset of dementia- can you not remember just how bad they really were? And saying you’re voting “local” while disregarding their party line, is just a pure cop out.

I can see that the only thing you’re passionate about is your boards posts- everything else is secondary to that.

I am not here for advice on who to vote for tbh. You asked I told you.

I am voting Green to encourage a decent young man who has courage. If 'De Greens' get in as a result of that, dems the risks you take with a 4th or 5th preference. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

McMurphy wrote: »
    "Because they've become extremely arrogant and out of touch, having been in power for far too bloody long" was the answer I heard being given to Newstalks Henry McKean by a man with a rather salubrious accent around 2pm today.

Be said he was a life time FG voter and was going to give the shinners a no1 and it was something to do with his 91 Yo mother, who was incapacitated now, in a first floor apartment, who he said he could not get a gp to attend her to give her injections etc, and the chemist wasn't allowed.

That wasn't the only reason, but between being in a crap area and my phone going bananas, that bit stuck out in particular.

I think they really picked the wrong leader who surrounded himself with a poor front bench, as I advised on the thread earlier I was in a parents meeting for children in special needs and Charlie was in attendance. He was very aloof, distance and had a bit of bravado on him as he described to parents whos children hadn't seen much services in the past five years that they were actually investing. It was like he heard just enough to parrot out a canned answer but did not listen to what was being said.

I do find it interesting that long time members are jumping ship as its very telling about where the real problems with the party are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

AB SF imo.

The rest of them are useless also, but don't have the SF baggage, nor the Army Council at MLMD's door either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

F*cking hilarious that Leo has said as a last resort FG will prop up FF, after FF just propped up FG and it failed. As close as we may ever get to them admitting they are the same party until they merge.

Anyone that thinks our Government doesn't need a massive shakeup, fair enough, it's nice to know somebody is getting everything that they could want from them.

Absolute chancers.

I agree, there are a huge amount of piss takers. The problem is, the system encourages them. then you have the real problem im my opinion, huge amounts of hard working people screwed by this crisis. There has been far too much money thrown at those on welfare and the social housing, worth a fortune, being given away is indifensible. They need to introduce a council tax, like in the uk, that all adults pay, no exemptions...

I really think they will need another bust though, to implent, what actually is going to have to be done here, because its ridiculously unsustainable...

Suckit wrote: »
    F*cking hilarious that Leo has said as a last resort FG will prop up FF, after FF just propped up FG and it failed. As close as we may ever get to them admitting they are the same party until they merge.

Anyone that thinks our Government doesn't need a massive shakeup, fair enough, it's nice to know somebody is getting everything that they could want from the Government.

It does need a massive shakeup but it also needs the right party to do it. SF are bit by bit getting better at it but they need to make sure they have the homework done fully.

The constituency im voting in the councilor looking for a seat is on holidays. I think that will cost them.

Anyone that thinks our Government doesn't need a massive shakeup, fair enough, it's nice to know somebody is getting everything that they could want from them.

they absolutely wont merge, for so many reasons. if they merged, they would lose seats for one. you think many of the older people who swear by FF or FG would vote for "the other side?" Id say they would be so disgusted, they would vote for alternatives. Absolutely handing power over to all the other current options for a start. It is never going to happen. No chance!

Calhoun wrote: »
    It does need a massive shakeup but it also needs the right party to do it. SF are bit by bit getting better at it but they need to make sure they have the homework done fully.

The constituency im voting in the councilor looking for a seat is on holidays. I think that will cost them.

When do you think the next time an opportunity like this is going to arrive?
    I think FF and FG have too much Bullsh*t sewn up.

They need a good kick, and with the economy likely to take a turn for the worse soon anyway I can't see them making any bigger a mess than the other two.

There are a thousand ways it could go.

• Advertisement

They need a good kick, and with the economy likely to take a turn for the worse soon anyway I can't see them making any bigger a mess than the other two.

I think the opportunity could come along again in the not too distant future. There is just no way, when you hear all the waffle, the same we have been hearing for years, that inroads will be made, at a pace the public will be happy with. I see things getting worse for FFG , next time round and I strongly suspect, that is what we will have... Now when an election gets called, government collapses etc, the next election, that could be the beginning of the end for the overwhelming influence FFG have had on politics here for decades...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they absolutely wont merge, for so many reasons. if they merged, they would lose seats for one. you think many of the older people who swear by FF or FG would vote for "the other side?" Id say they would be so disgusted, they would vote for alternatives. Absolutely handing power over to all the other current options for a start. It is never going to happen. No chance!
    I wasn't serious.

I meant in a kind of tongue in cheek way.
    I can't see either of them giving up the very lucrative position that they currently have in the public minds.

Vote FF until they f*ck up really bad, then vote FG (because they are the only party big enough to dislodge them). Remember why nobody en masse really votes FG unless they are p*ssed off with FF, and go back to voting FF.
    Repeat.

The seem to be doing better each time around, success this time around could get them into a position where they put up enough seats to get a majority. Its my understanding they havent got enough seats to do that now.

As i said above in my local SF rep is on holidays. Doesn't give you the confidence in them taking it seriously this time around.

I think the opportunity could come along again in the not too distant future. There is just no way, when you hear all the waffle, the same we have been hearing for years, that inroads will be made, at a pace the public will be happy with. I see things getting worse for FFG , next time round and I strongly suspect, that is what we will have... Now when an election gets called, government collapses etc, the next election, that could be the beginning of the end for the overwhelming influence FFG have had on politics here for decades...

Why wait???
    This is the opportunity so many have bitched and moaned about for so long.. (And not really an opportunity, as they don't have nearly enough members to create a majority)

Now it's a possibility (to shake up - and let's be clear, that's probably about as good as it will get) .. :confused:

If SF looked in any way to threaten anything else, that would be the end of it.

They are running 42 candidates in comparison to FF 84 and FG 82. Only chance they would have is if they got ever seat going but as i said Kildare South they probably will loose because the candidate is not there.

Source https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sinn-fein-has-no-realistic-chance-of-being-in-government-says-micheal-martin-979282.html

Why wait???
    This is the opportunity so many have bitched and moaned about for so long.. (And not really an opportunity, as they don't have nearly enough members to create a majority)

Now it's a possibility (to shake up - and let's be clear, that's probably about as good as it will get) .. :confused:

If SF looked in any way to threaten anything else, that would be the end of it.

SF havent run enough candidates, its not that I dont think it is the time, FFG will do anything to keep SF out. I think FFG will lose seats in total, this election. When the next election is called and the issues havent been addressed by FFG (which they wont have been) SF will be running way more candidates and at that stage, along with a shift to the left (largely on housing grounds) from hundreds of thousands of people, many previous FFG voters. There could be a seismic shift in Irish politics...

Calhoun wrote: »
    The seem to be doing better each time around, success this time around could get them into a position where they put up enough seats to get a majority. Its my understanding they havent got enough seats to do that now.

As i said above in my local SF rep is on holidays. Doesn't give you the confidence in them taking it seriously this time around.

No, I don't think anyone including SF expected this surge, but it is also possible (I have no idea where your candidate is on holiday), that they booked it before Leo announced the GE, and it wasn't cheap/they were told to go.
    But that's about as defensible as that can get, unless they have had a particularly bad time (death, illness etc.).
    Success this time could and likely would get them ready for the next GE, but it also depends on whether or not they are willing to trust FF (and FG) if they did go into coalition.

Failure this time would surely be the end of them. Maybe not, but it would be a tough road back.

people questions Sf competence etc, have they had any moron ministers drive down the steps at leinster house?

SF havent run enough candidates, its not that I dont think it is the time, FFG will do anything to keep SF out. I think FFG will lose seats in total, this election. When the next election is called and the issues havent been addressed by FFG (which they wont have been) SF will be running way more candidates and at that stage, along with a shift to the left (largely on housing grounds) from hundreds of thousands of people, many previous FFG voters. There could be a seismic shift in Irish politics...

That's a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take. The next election (without SF) could be 5 years away, or whenever they see the public opinion swaying in their favour.

• Advertisement

That's a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take. The next election (without SF) could be 5 years away, or whenever they see the public opinion swaying in their favour.

yeah it could be five years away, I doubt it though. Everything here happens in a glacial manner, if its FFG in power, the glacial manner wont cut it any more after nine years. Things will get worse and people absolutely wont have five years of patience!

If they think throwing some pitance at us every budget, will buy people's vote or silence? those days are long gone!

Advertisement