Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Suckit wrote: »
    No, I don't think anyone including SF expected this surge, but it is also possible (I have no idea where your candidate is on holiday), that they booked it before Leo announced the GE, and it wasn't cheap/they were told to go.
    But that's about as defensible as that can get, unless they have had a particularly bad time (death, illness etc.).
    Success this time could and likely would get them ready for the next GE, but it also depends on whether or not they are willing to trust FF (and FG) if they did go into coalition.

Failure this time would surely be the end of them. Maybe not, but it would be a tough road back.

It doesn't matter the GE should be the only show in town, its like applying for a job and not turning up to the interview. Apparently what you have said happened but as i said its not much of a defense for people who are voting on saturday.

I think they have to build a stepping stone to it, they should aim to be a credible opposition. Right now the opposition is nearly considered FF even though they are supporting the government. If SF get more seats than FG they would be the clear opposition party.

From there its simply a case of building and moving past allot of the gotchas in this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Calhoun wrote: »
    It doesn't matter the GE should be the only show in town, its like applying for a job and not turning up to the interview. Apparently what you have said happened but as i said its not much of a defense for people who are voting on saturday.

I think they have to build a stepping stone to it, they should aim to be a credible opposition. Right now the opposition is nearly considered FF even though they are supporting the government. If SF get more seats than FG they would be the clear opposition party.

From there its simply a case of building and moving past allot of the gotchas in this campaign.
    I wasn't defending, I am surmising. It would be in my head to put my family first, and maybe hope the public sees it that way, if not, so be it. (I have no idea about her situation).

SF do not have to go into coalition either, and as mentioned MM could go for a minority government.

That might give SF enough time to get their numbers up for the next election, but would still require them getting a lot of votes this time..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Suckit wrote: »
    I wasn't defending, I am surmising. It would be in my head to put my family first, and maybe hope the public sees it that way, if not, so be it. (I have no idea about her situation).

SF do not have to go into coalition either, and as mentioned MM could go fo a minority government.

That might give SF enough time to get their numbers up for the next election, but would still require them getting a lot of votes this time..

Of course i understand you weren't and i can understand she might see it that way but at best its naivety at worst its ego thinking she will just slide across the line.

I think it would be a bad idea for them to go into government and be a minor player if they want to grow. Look at how FF and FG have chewed up and spit out smaller parties in the past.

If they can pip one of the parties as the opposition then they can build and move one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Life long FG voter but prob gonna vote for SF.

Mary Lou's performance swayed you eh! :D

I've explained why I might seem to be a SF voter many times here. Not getting into it again.
    You won't see me defending all of their policies here including their economic policy which I think is flaky and in need of a stint in a coalition government tbh.

I think they are ready now for coalition. Simple as.

And yes, my local Green is a first time 21 yr old and I will be giving him a preference purely for having the balls to stand up and be counted. He's a good community activist too.
    I have no time for the Irish Green party tbh.

What candidate is getting your number 1.

• Advertisement

I’m still at a loss on who to vote for. Not a fecking clue.

I can’t be the only one, can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Least likely to annoy you?
    People you least like at the bottom?
    Pick a no-hoper and pile everyone in behind them?
    Just choose one and one only?
    People you would be OK with as TDs?

I say it will come down to using one of those options, is that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What candidate is getting your number 1.

I don't know why it is your business and you'll note I haven't asked anyone how they will vote but as there is nothing to hide here, I haven't looked at the maths but I want the 2 of them elected here so it will either be Matt Carthy No. 1 with Pauline Tully No. 2 or vice versa.

It's time to put up or shut up.

My no 1 Joe Hannigan-Independent-Tipperary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nope a real lack of talent on the ticket in donegal making my choice difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Idbatterim wrote: »
    people questions Sf competence etc, have they had any moron ministers drive down the steps at leinster house?

I had to google this! Thought you were making it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gulc2nw4oro

So, what is left - debate wise before the moratorium?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thequarefellow:
    But they haven't done so. There are countless examples of attractive high rise living all over Europe. I've lived in some. Just f***ing do it! Go abroad, look at good examples of same, with the necessary infrastructure, and do it! But they haven't.
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    People forget that it’s the local councils that get to decide this. They also forget that up until very recently, SF had the majority vote in Dublin councils.

What did they do? They stopped people building up.

I'm so tired of hearing bull***t like this from government. They are the ones in charge. Change the rules, Change the constitution. Do what ever needs to be done ffs. They had practically the country pleading with them to build more housing and they failed to do so on any meaningful level. It is actually a housing crisis after all. I was writing to Simon Coveney when he was housing minister pleading with him to get s**t done. It just deteriorated from there. And don't talk to me about Nama!

FG failed on this issue!
    And Fianna Fail can't be trusted either, building houses in bogs and rural backwaters that had to be torn down because nobody wanted to live there.

SF might just do something different. Or they might make a bo***cks of it. But I'm so frustrated that I will vote for them and give them a chance. Whats's the worst that can happen? Major recession? Bring it on. At least I'll be able to afford property then.

nope a real lack of talent on the ticket in donegal making my choice difficult

Where is your 'dream' constituency?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I see Joseph Rafferty is the news this morning after Paul Quinn, any chance Sinn Fein could get out ahead of this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Part of me wishes that SF could cobble together enough of a coalition to form a government, but only so people could witness for themselves how much of a mess they would make of the country. It would kill off SF for good.

The more sensible part of me hopes for a coalition of other parties, excluding SF. If SF don’t get into government, and I don’t even think they want to this time around themselves, they probably will get in next time and will have more candidates running.

SF have weak policies, their numbers don’t stack up, and they still have blood on their hands. The had the majority in a lot of the council’s and did nothing to help the housing ‘crisis’. They plan on taxing the bejesus out of the REITs/corporate landlords, yet completely forget that a huge chunk of Irish pensions are invested in these REITs.

Leave SF as an opposition party where they belong.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Part of me wishes that SF could cobble together enough of a coalition to form a government, but only so people could witness for themselves how much of a mess they would make of the country. It would kill off SF for good.

The more sensible part of me hopes for a coalition of other parties, excluding SF. If SF don’t get into government, and I don’t even think they want to this time around themselves, they probably will get in next time and will have more candidates running.

SF have weak policies, their numbers don’t stack up, and they still have blood on their hands. The had the majority in a lot of the council’s and did nothing to help the housing ‘crisis’. They plan on taxing the bejesus out of the REITs/corporate landlords, yet completely forget that a huge chunk of Irish pensions are invested in these REITs.

Leave SF as an opposition party where they belong.

Do you think it isn't a crisis? Because I assure you, it is. It's a crisis that has many right thinking people voting for SF when they would never have considered doing so in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

sean o rourke going straight at it this morning.

emo72 wrote: »
    sean o rourke going straight at it this morning.

And straight away allowing McDowell (jesus christ..who are they gonna dig up next) to lie through his teeth.

The IMC said this was about illegal activity and have still not withdrawn that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

That Sean o rourke is some prick

And straight away allowing McDowell (jesus christ..who are they gonna dig up next) to lie through his teeth.

The IMC said this was about illegal activity and have still not withdrawn that.

So why did Conor Murphy apologise so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Zetor19 wrote: »
    That Sean o rourke is some prick

Typical S.F. response
    One of the most decent independent fair minded journalists who is well able to interview all politicians equally.
    Is this S.F.policy towards a free press.
    This is Ireland not Venezuela or Cuba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

McDowell rolled out:
    "Democracy is under threat"
    :rolleyes:

So why did Conor Murphy apologise so?

He apologised for causing hurt. As he should have done.

McDowell going full Godwin now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

There is not one rte presenter fair ur unbiased are you having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In fairness all groups think RTE is bias towards them, even FG were making the same claim in a circular to members in Dublin two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Some **** on this thread about SF, I have been a SF supporter since the early 80s. and would never vote for any of the thugs that are FG or FF.

On the contrary. I think SO'R may have been instructed editorally to cover this, but he made McDowell sound hysterical there.

'Wehrmacht Republic incoming folks!' :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He apologised for causing hurt. As he should have done.

McDowell going full Godwin now. :)
    That's really nothing new , his views on SF have been known for a very long time.

Advertisement