Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zetor19 wrote: »
    There is not one rte presenter fair ur unbiased are you having a laugh.
    If you seek it you shall find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

And straight away allowing McDowell (jesus christ..who are they gonna dig up next) to lie through his teeth.
    Very unusual to hear a REAL journalist on Sean O'Rourke, a woman named Andrea Murphy from Andersontown News, she correctly pointed out that some murders are exploited for political purposes and others are just forgotten.
    Does anyone on Radio D4 give a damn about the disgraceful treatment that the Finucane family have received?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Anyone think this total bias from rte/Denis o brien will actually increase the sf vote on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

He apologised for causing hurt. As he should have done.

McDowell going full Godwin now. :)

Again not true. Tommy O Gorman asked him had he any evidence that he was involved in criminality. Murphy said no. The worrying thing about you is that a young fella beaten to death with iron bars doesn't seem to disturb you at all. So you can stick with that crowd ye seen well suited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Again not true. Tommy O Gorman asked him had he any evidence that he was involved in criminality. Murphy said no. The worrying thing about you is that a young fella beaten to death with iron bars doesn't seem to disturb you at all. So you can stick with that crowd ye seen well suited.

The death of this young man was in horrific circumstances noone deserves what happened to him and I hope his killers face justice and those including ordinary people come forward. I know his family next week and every week after that will still be seeking justice on behalf of their son, they were right to use this election to seek answers. My question to you is will you still care next week about his families quest for justice and do you think the parties using his memory to score points will care?
    From what I have seen prior to this week f*** all care, but suddenly do when there is possible advantage. Pretty disgusting imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If this had anything to do with that 'young fella' and justice for him, you might have a case.

This is about cynical politics, not victims, and nothing displays that more than that interview with McDowell, who has a track record of ranting about 'Nazi's in the closet' when something he doesn't like is happening.
    Anyone remember him likening Richard Bruton to Joseph Goebbels and had to apologise for it?

I genuinely and fervently hope the whole country heard him this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If I was to view your post history - would I find evidence of how much you care about justice for that lad and his family before it became an election issue in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Anyone think this total bias from rte/Denis o brien will actually increase the sf vote on Saturday?

Could well do . Less people are fooled by this bias these days. This week was so predictable. If it wasnt the paul Quinn story it would have been something else to tarnish sf with their past.

I was convinced especially after the latest poll last weekend that it would be all guns blazing against sf with their past links to the IRA etc in the final few days before the election and right enough bang on cue that's exactly what happened. I wonder if they were doing less well in the polls would as much fuss have been made about it. Doubtful, but something else would have been brought up.anyway one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Do you think it isn't a crisis? Because I assure you, it is. It's a crisis that has many right thinking people voting for SF when they would never have considered doing so in the past.

Sure isn’t everything a ‘crisis’ these days? I read an article in the Irish Times today, 24 year old teachers complaining that they can’t afford to buy a house in South Dublin, yet they can afford to go on holidays to Bali. Then you have the work shy like Cash who demand a house. Latest is the Childcare “Crisis”. Of course the media loves it because they get advertising revenue.

SF have made election promises that they have no way or intention of keeping. It’s auction politics.

lawred2 wrote: »
    If I was to view your post history - would I find evidence of how much you care about justice for that lad and his family before it became an election issue in 2020?

Your comment can apply to all those who are expressing their outrage at Paul Quinn's death and the SF connection although I suspect it's glee more than outrage. There has been more media coverage of his death in the last 2 days than there has been in the last 10 years.
    Although some good may come out of this attempt to scupper SF. Paul's family may get justice that can only be a good thing if it happens.

• Advertisement

Billcarson wrote: »
    Could well do . Less people are fooled by this bias these days. This week was so predictable. If it wasnt the paul Quinn story it would have been something else to tarnish sf with their past.

I was convinced especially after the latest poll last weekend that it would be all guns blazing against sf with their past links to the IRA etc in the final few days before the election and right enough bang on cue that's exactly what happened. I wonder if they were doing less well in the polls would as much fuss have been made about it. Doubtful, but something else would have been brought up.anyway one way or another.

Yeah, how dare the people talk about SFs link to terrorism, murder, and all that unfortunate stuff. How dare they talk about SFs current allegiance to their Army Council.
    Sure aren’t they a great bunch of lads, certainly not a group of scumbag terrorists anyhow.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah, how dare the people talk about SFs link to terrorism, murder, and all that unfortunate stuff. How dare they talk about SFs current allegiance to their Army Council.
    Sure aren’t they a great bunch of lads, certainly not a group of scumbag terrorists anyhow.

Seriously...are you calling MLM, Eoin O'Broin, Pearse Doherty, Louise O'Reilly etc etc. 'scumbag terrorists'?

Is the a “who are you voting for” thread with a secret poll?

Are you suggesting SF should not be quizzed on this? I think SF can count themselves lucky that they are not being questioned about a few more killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

84568212_558147015046928_8706310398787190784_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=P4PkD5VW7pEAX9B714p&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=03d4d864eaa0e9963329a558a9111e64&oe=5E8D4961

Bias in the media? No ... couldn't be

Are you suggesting SF should not be quizzed on this? I think SF can count themselves lucky that they are not being questioned about a few more killings.

I don't see the poster suggesting this, they have however asked you a fairly easy question . Which to me seems as if you wish to evade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SF kill people now? Shouldnt the guards arrest them?

Sinn Féin TDs have "zero" influence over policy decisions despite being elected to the Dáil, according to a former party member.

Aontú party leader Peadar Tóibín, who resigned from Sinn Féin over his views on abortion, said key policy decisions are made by a "very tight circle" of six or seven people and are then "handed down" to TDs.

In a rare insight into how the secretive party works, Mr Tóibín said most Sinn Féin TDs are not permitted to choose their own staff members. Instead, he said the party picks their parliamentary assistants who can have even more influence than the TDs they are working for.

"TDs don't come together to make decisions on a regular basis. At least the important decisions are not made by TDs," he said. "TDs and staff gather on a weekly basis, but the staff would have as much say, with regards the direction of policy."

Mr Tóibín said he knew of one TD who was effectively directed to make Dáil speeches by their assistant as she did not agree with the policy. "That TD actually decided to give a speech in Irish so that the policy wouldn't be associated with her," he said.

On another occasion, Mr Tóibín said TDs sought to have an internal debate over a proposal to support a Dáil motion on banning religious ethos in schools. However, after the discussion they were told what the party position was.

"The decision was obviously pre-written before the TDs had asked to have a discussion so at that point it was quite clear to me that my influence as a TD representing the people of Meath was pretty much zero," he added.

"Sometimes you'd be in meetings and you'd feel like everyone was talking from text books and those who spoke outside of the textbook were frowned upon."

And people complain about China and North Korea, at least they don’t pretend to be something they’re not.

No. I asked you whether this was an issue for before election 2020?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    And people complain about China and North Korea, at least they don’t pretend to be something they’re not.

Yet he was willing to be part of that party strange, nice he found his voice when he got kicked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

It's always been an issue for the families of their victims. It's of increased national interest now when it's possible that some of these people could actually have a hand in running the country, which should be horrifying to any decent human being.

quokula wrote: »
    It's always been an issue for the families of their victims

Of course. And rightly so. Never in question.
    It's of increased national interest now when it's possible that some of these people could actually have a hand in running the country, which should be horrifying to any decent human being.

Right. So no - it wasn't an issue before election 2020.

It's been an issue when the quinn family asked repeatedly for 13 years for SF to withdraw the usual smearing they do of innocent victims and apologise. Murphy only did it yesterday after Mary lou f****d up on live TV

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The victims of Sinn Fein have been an issue for me for a very long time, and I have continually raised them on here, despite repeated abuse from the usual SF apologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The sheer amount of residential now that has just received or has applied firvpkanning in Dublin is insane ! Go onto SkyscraperCity website and there is an Irish forum. So supply us going to ramp up From now collosaly! The issue is it’s a case of possibly fg leaving it too late , from a voter perspective. The progress on this issue has been glacial. Problem number two , affordability! I remember years ago the head of ires reit , saying what an inefficient use of space , dial aspect apartments were. Say we have ffg again , if you want masses of affordable apartments here and to stick with the private sector option, you need to go single aspect and possibly reduce size. Believe me , that is infinitely preferable for most people sharing. A modern , contemporary, warm near zero energy from a heating a heating perspective apartment, central , that they don’t have to share. Nobody will give a toss it’s single aspect and if they do , off you go and buy why other non new “ affordable “ apartment.

I would love to see figures of just how much going to single aspsct would reduce cost. The government also cream off a huge amount with the cost of a new build. I would abolish stamp duty. Makes it easier to raise deposit. Change planning guidelines so developers can’t just go for what is most profitable, which they will obviously do. Sick of government vilifying developers for their own failure , it’s a smoke screen that far too many believe. Go into your for profit employer later and tell them you have a plan to cut profits , let me know how you get on ...

It's always been an issue for the families of their victims. It's of increased national interest now when it's possible that some of these people could actually have a hand in running the country, which should be horrifying to any decent human being.

So why didn't it come up at the start of the campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thequarefellow:
    But they haven't done so. There are countless examples of attractive high rise living all over Europe. I've lived in some. Just f***ing do it! Go abroad, look at good examples of same, with the necessary infrastructure, and do it! But they haven't.

I'm so tired of hearing bull***t like this from government. They are the ones in charge. Change the rules, Change the constitution. Do what ever needs to be done ffs. They had practically the country pleading with them to build more housing and they failed to do so on any meaningful level. It is actually a housing crisis after all. I was writing to Simon Coveney when he was housing minister pleading with him to get s**t done. It just deteriorated from there. And don't talk to me about Nama!

FG failed on this issue!
    And Fianna Fail can't be trusted either, building houses in bogs and rural backwaters that had to be torn down because nobody wanted to live there.

SF might just do something different. Or they might make a bo***cks of it. But I'm so frustrated that I will vote for them and give them a chance. Whats's the worst that can happen? Major recession? Bring it on. At least I'll be able to afford property then.

The government did change the rules: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/building-height-restrictions-in-towns-and-cities-lifted-37604346.html

The councils in Dublin just didn't apply them, except for a couple of cases in the docklands.

So why didn't it come up at the start of the campaign?

SF weren't at 25% three weeks ago. The media and those on here claiming to be outraged at Paul Quinn's murder won't give a flying f**k after the polls close on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

I don't know why it is your business and you'll note I haven't asked anyone how they will vote but as there is nothing to hide here, I haven't looked at the maths but I want the 2 of them elected here so it will either be Matt Carthy No. 1 with Pauline Tully No. 2 or vice versa.

So not a SF voter but voting SF 1 and 2 and defend them all day long on here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

And straight away allowing McDowell (jesus christ..who are they gonna dig up next) to lie through his teeth.

The IMC said this was about illegal activity and have still not withdrawn that.

Yes but they didn't indicate that Paul Quinn was involved in criminal activity as you are continuosly suggesting. They said the the murderers were former IRA and therefore were acting as a criminal gang and not as part of the IRA.

Advertisement