Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Are you even registered to vote? 🀔

At this stage i'd be wondering is he old enough to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Are you even registered to vote? 🤔

ha! yes...

Plumbthedepths right you tell me your position, go on, tell me which party are so fantastic, that I am an idiot for not considering them, please go ahead....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Idbatterim wrote: »
    ha! yes...

Plumbthedepths right you tell me your position, go on, tell me which party are so fantastic, that I am an idiot for not considering them, please go ahead....

Not my place to tell you who it's best to vote for. Simply vote for someone whose values align to yours. But I do suggest you grow up and stop with the nonsensical ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A lady was just on Joooooeeee Duffy.
    I didn't hear the beginning of what she was speaking about, it sounded like local teens causing trouble. Joe asked would she not speak to her local TD about it when they come knocking, she said that nobody has knocked yet, and anyway, she is sick of all the false promises and lies from them, at this stage she is thinking of voting SF.
    She's not the only one, there are thousands out there.

FG and FF can go on about Paul Quinn until they are blue in the face, and they can talk about SF's paramilitary links and that they are not a normal party etc..
    Basically, they can keep reminding everyone where SF came from and their past, all they like.
    The one thing that they themselves need to realise, is that most of people that plan to vote SF this weekend already know that. They are well aware of all of those things and more, yet are still going to vote for them, and these aren't the SF loyal.
    They are the average person at home.

Why will they be likely to vote for them?
    Because FF and FG have driven them to it.
    It is as simple as that. So instead of looking around and giving out about the other parties, maybe they should be looking at the massive f*ck up they themselves have put themselves in, and what they can do (really do, actually physically make happen) about it to win them back.
    A good start would be to end the lies, the false promises, the cronyism and the 'loyal to us' benefits.
    The easy stuff, that doesn't cost anything to fix.
    If they are lucky enough to get the chance again, those should be the first things to be addressed. Not mentioned, just proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Suckit wrote: »
    I didn't hear the beginning of what she was speaking about, it sounded like local teens causing trouble. Joe asked would she not speak to her local TD about it when they come knocking, she said that nobody has knocked yet, and anyway, she is sick of all the false promises and lies from them, at this stage she is thinking of voting SF.

FG and FF can go on about Paul Quinn until they are blue in the face, and they can talk about SF's paramilitary links and that they are not a normal party etc..
    Basically, they can keep reminding everyone where SF came from and their past, all they like.
    The one thing that they themselves need to realise, is that most of people that plan to vote SF this weekend already know that. They are well aware of all of those things and more, yet are still going to vote for them, and these aren't the SF loyal.

It is as simple as that. So instead of looking around and giving out about the other parties, maybe they should be looking at the massive f*ck up they themselves have put themselves in, and what they can do (really do, actually physically make happen) about it to win them back.
    A good start would be to end the lies, the false promises, the cronyism and the 'loyal to us' benefits.
    If they are lucky enough to get the chance again, those should be the first things to be addressed. Not mentioned, just proven.

This! It is that simple, they have driven many people to SF, FFG have done it, nobody else :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

People are starting to really cop on to ff and fg,just a pity it took so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Suckit wrote: »

Sweet Jesus! You couldn't make this up.The lady on Joooee Duffy is thinking of voting SF so that's your mind made up so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sweet Jesus! You couldn't make this up.The lady on Joooee Duffy is thinking of voting SF so that's your mind made up so!

Yeah. I heard one lady on Joe Duffy talking about something and that made my mind up about it.. :rolleyes:

I take it you are unaware of the surge in the polls that showed SF on top early this week?

It’s true though, real. Voting for FG or FF is giving them and all politicians the thumbs up to carry on with their dodgy ways. If whoever forms a government turn out to have dodgy expenses, insurance claims, backhanders, etc, I think they won’t last more than one turn. What really should happen is these people should resign immediately when caught.

Hopefully, in 5 years time we will have a better calibre of politicians to choose from who think better than to stick two fingers up at the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Again not true. Tommy O Gorman asked him had he any evidence that he was involved in criminality. Murphy said no. The worrying thing about you is that a young fella beaten to death with iron bars doesn't seem to disturb you at all. So you can stick with that crowd ye seen well suited.
    What’s worrying is that so many have suddenly become disturbed by this murder, I’m just curious will you all be as disturbed this time next week or will that all depend on the outcome from Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Billcarson wrote: »
    People are starting to really cop on to ff and fg,just a pity it took so long.

I dunno, FF was ~20 seats 2011, ~40 seats 2016 and ~50 seats 2020.

They run back pretty fast when they are in opposition.

SF not having enough candidates to capitalise on their popularity will be the story of the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

easypazz wrote: »
    I dunno, FF was ~20 seats 2011, ~40 seats 2016 and ~50 seats 2020.

They run back pretty fast when they are in opposition.

SF not having enough candidates to capitalise on their popularity will be the story of the election.

I think they'll do well but unlikely all running will get in as is.
    Hopefully the 'had enough of FF/FG' translates to other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are SF being criticised for this 'lack of ambition' or is it just seen as one of those things. Is anyone calling for parties to be allowed to adjust their tickets closer to the election?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

armaghlad wrote: »
    What’s worrying is that so many have suddenly become disturbed by this murder, I’m just curious will you all be as disturbed this time next week or will that all depend on the outcome from Saturday?

Well now that Conor Murphy has in effect acknowledged that he made the whole thing up and apologised for it that may well be the end of it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I really hope for the Quinn that they have got some sort of closure because after Saturday their phonecalls to the media, ff, fg, rte will go unanswered. Surely people can see they are being used.

Want house price increases?
    Want to pay more rent?
    Want hopspital waiting lists to be bigger?
    Want the USC to remain?
    Want the rich get richer?
    If yes, then vote FG/FF

Are SF being criticised for this 'lack of ambition' or is it just seen as one of those things. Is anyone calling for parties to be allowed to adjust their tickets closer to the election?

I doubt SF saw this coming, and after the locals and Europeans were more focused on holding their own.

4 years ago FF may have won more seats if they had ran more candidates, but never expected to do as well as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

maccored wrote: »
    that was mid 80s.
    82, 83, 84...

Just to clarify the Ballot box/Armalite quote is from Danny Morrison speaking at the Sinn Fein Ard Fheis 1981.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-year-of-hunger-strikes-the-ballot-box-and-the-armalite-1.437930

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I doubt SF saw this coming, and after the locals and Europeans were more focused on holding their own.

Yeah just three weeks ago they removed Chris MacManus from the ticket in Sligo-Leitrim to ensure Martin Kenny's seat wasn't jeopardised, so the surge has clearly blindsided them as much as anybody. I suppose there's an argument that political parties should always be expecting and planning for the best outcome.

FG seem to have made the opposite mistake in Meath West and possibly elsewhere. They've gone with three candidates in the hope of winning two, and now it looks like they may well end up with none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

elperello wrote: »
    Just to clarify the Ballot box/Armalite quote is from Danny Morrison speaking at the Sinn Fein Ard Fheis 1981.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-year-of-hunger-strikes-the-ballot-box-and-the-armalite-1.437930

which makes it even more relevant to an election in 2020 .....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone else listening to Eoghan Harris losing his shlt on Newstalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Final TV debate tonight on TV3. Will be Simon Coveney and Pearse Doherty, not sure who FF are putting up, Dara Calleary?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McMurphy wrote: »
    Why would you put yourself through that?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:):)

Had the volume too high when I switched over...need ear drops!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Final TV debate tonight on TV3. Will be Simon Coveney and Pearse Doherty, not sure who FF are putting up, Dara Calleary?

All party?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

SF wont even make 20%, every election they poll higher than they actually get.
    They will claim the third highest number of seats, and then if the do become the junior party in a coalition they will be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Some wan on RTÉ 1 there just waiting on her forever home from DCC, her words not mine!!

Why not like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Harris has Twitter in meltdown, don't think M.M needs this kind of reaction. ;)

Arseways reaction.

Take a look at these search results: https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Eoghan%20Harris%22&s=09

redmgar wrote: »
    SF wont even make 20%, every election they poll higher than they actually get.
    They will claim the third highest number of seats, and then if the do become the junior party in a coalition they will be destroyed.

Looks a bit different this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All party?

AFAIK just FFG & SF deputy leaders debating tonight

Yeah heard it just there, Harris was doing his best to equate the election of SF to the rise of the Nazis. I mean he basically said that if SF get elected then we are going down the road of ethnic cleansing. Then he went on to say how people should vote for Michael Martin and Brendan Howlin if they want radical change, that was the bit that had me spitting out my tea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's only brought on to generate tweets and texts. He's a content creator for newstalk.

Advertisement