Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone else listening to Eoghan Harris losing his shlt on Newstalk?

Thought he died years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone else listening to Eoghan Harris losing his shlt on Newstalk?

He's an irrelevant crank.
    Lapsed communist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Muahahaha wrote: »
    AFAIK just FFG & SF deputy leaders debating tonight

Yeah heard it just there, Harris was doing his best to equate the election of SF to the rise of the Nazis. I mean he basically said that if SF get elected then we are going down the road of ethnic cleansing. Then he went on to say how people should vote for Michael Martin and Brendan Howlin if they want radical change, that was the bit that had me spitting out my tea :D

I think he said 'Ethnic cleansing was the inevitable end of the SF project'.

His effortless seguing into the comparison of a song from Cabaret The Film to Tiocaigh Ár Lá was awesome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Thought he died years ago.

He belongs to a breed of dying dinosaurs alright, but he's still alive and spewing his bile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

AFAIK just FFG & SF deputy leaders debating tonight

Yeah heard it just there, Harris was doing his best to equate the election of SF to the rise of the Nazis. I mean he basically said that if SF get elected then we are going down the road of ethnic cleansing. Then he went on to say how people should vote for Michael Martin and Brendan Howlin if they want radical change, that was the bit that had me spitting out my tea :D

That overhyped Mairead McGuinness one came out with a more mannerly out-of-the-side-of-her-mouth equation of SF with Nazis when she was warbling about her visit to Auschwitz the other day - 'we need to be careful with our democracy in regards to the election' says the Blueshirt party member.

The pearl clutching is fckin hilarious.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    He's only brought on to generate tweets and texts. He's a content creator for newstalk.

Yup, there he is trending #1 on Twitter.

Even SO'R had to ask McDowell what the fck he was on about this morning in his rant.

It's the last putsch, I mean push by the learned upstanding members of our society to preserve the duopoly.

The only thing concerning me about such matters is the fact that the media will show such bias. It's disgusting. SF aren't even in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

maccored wrote: »
    which makes it even more relevant to an election in 2020 .....

Historical accuracy is always relevant.

elperello wrote: »

As Charlie Tan-again found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He's an irrelevant crank.
    Lapsed communist ;)

He has been as crazy as a bag of cats for at least the last 20 years.

Mad irrelevant old fart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The only thing concerning me about such matters is the fact that the media will show such bias. It's disgusting. SF aren't even in government.

you are surprised about this, the montrose parasites would be hit with higher taxes... of course they would be worried

elperello wrote: »

As Charlie Tan-again found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Suckit wrote: »
    A lady was just on Joooooeeee Duffy.
    I didn't hear the beginning of what she was speaking about, it sounded like local teens causing trouble. Joe asked would she not speak to her local TD about it when they come knocking, she said that nobody has knocked yet, and anyway, she is sick of all the false promises and lies from them, at this stage she is thinking of voting SF.
    She's not the only one, there are thousands out there.

FG and FF can go on about Paul Quinn until they are blue in the face, and they can talk about SF's paramilitary links and that they are not a normal party etc..
    Basically, they can keep reminding everyone where SF came from and their past, all they like.
    The one thing that they themselves need to realise, is that most of people that plan to vote SF this weekend already know that. They are well aware of all of those things and more, yet are still going to vote for them, and these aren't the SF loyal.
    They are the average person at home.

Why will they be likely to vote for them?
    Because FF and FG have driven them to it.
    It is as simple as that. So instead of looking around and giving out about the other parties, maybe they should be looking at the massive f*ck up they themselves have put themselves in, and what they can do (really do, actually physically make happen) about it to win them back.
    A good start would be to end the lies, the false promises, the cronyism and the 'loyal to us' benefits.
    The easy stuff, that doesn't cost anything to fix.
    If they are lucky enough to get the chance again, those should be the first things to be addressed. Not mentioned, just proven.

If she went to Sinn Fein, those young kids messing around would end up like Paul Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Then he went on to say how people should vote for Michael Martin and Brendan Howlin if they want radical change

Was he still talking about Leo "leaving the door on the latch" for SF. Been banging that drum for a while, without a shred of supporting evidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

Is there another leaders debate on tonight? I read it was on VM 1 but there's nothing listed when I check entertainment.ie

This is it wrote: »
    Is there another leaders debate on tonight? I read it was on VM 1 but there's nothing listed when I check entertainment.ie

Not leaders by all accounts.

Coveney for Fg, Doherty for SF and McGrath for FF

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There is a debate tonight and it's on RTÉ with the five other leaders(or nominated person) who aren't FF,FG, or SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭This is it

Not leaders by all accounts.

Coveney for Fg, Doherty for SF and McGrath for FF

Ah, heard them earlier with Matt Cooper, that's enough I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Presume it's happening on The Tonight Show. That's on at 11 as usual according to Sky Q...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Understand that Dessie Ellis opted out of a Drivetime debate this evening, something about a WhatsApp group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Sinn Fein are taking enough heat without adding Dessie Ellis to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ouch, but she got rewarded with an MEP seat.

Well done again FG, well done.:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

To be fair she is getting destroyed not much being said about the SCC.

Ouch, but she got rewarded with an MEP seat.
    That'll be the party loyalists.

jh79 wrote: »
    To be fair she is getting destroyed not much being said about the SCC.

I thought this was a fair question.

Replying to
    @FitzgeraldFrncs
    If the Special Criminal Court is so good for gangland crime then why hasn't gang crime gone down?

Why do other countries not need a SCC? Why do
    @AmnestyIreland
    and the UN have serious concerns about its existence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The way they tried to organise a kangaroo court around Maurice McCabe would tell ya the mindset of her and her ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

I thought this was a fair question.

Most replies are about McCabe etc. SCC isn't getting much flak.

On the 2 questions.
    The SCC has a better conviction rate than what came previously so is effective. I don't see how a diffrent procedural approach to justice is meant to reduce gang crime? I mean sentences havn't changed.

If you were a drug dealer or terrorist would you stop just because you could no longer intimidate a jury if caught in the future?

Regards Amnesty, it was appropriate response to the IRA. Think of the poor juror living in fear of IRA while doing their civic duty.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    Most replies are about McCabe etc. SCC isn't getting much flak.

On the 2 questions.
    The SCC has a better conviction rate than what came previously so is effective. I don't see how a diffrent procedural approach to justice is meant to reduce gang crime? I mean sentences havn't changed.

If you were a drug dealer or terrorist would you stop just because you could no longer intimidate a jury if caught in the future?
    I don't think it would matter a damn to be honest.
    Regards Amnesty, it was appropriate response to the IRA. Think of the poor juror living in fear of IRA while doing their civic duty.

How many jurors did the IRA kill/intimidate?

And what about the other bit...'How can other countries manage just the same as us without a special court?'

Advertisement