Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just lives in an ideological bubble divorced from reality.

He wasn't the only one up there tonight - which is the only thing I'll give him.

Tobin and Coppinger the others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Tobin and Coppinger the others ?

Pretty much. As I said earlier, tonight was definitely the B squad.

It's a bit like turning on expecting to watch Liverpool at the moment, but then finding it's an u18 match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's a bit puerile

I'm not a labour fan anyway.
    Them and Fine Gael brought in Seetec and well they have Alan Kelly the water charge minister and eh Joan Burton.
    Labour lost credibility a long time ago.
    No change with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The debate probably just confirmed expectations, in that Tóibín will probably be the only Aontú TD, and RBB for Sol/PBP. Labour will probably be in the 6-9 seat range, and the Greens 8-12. Soc Dems could either stay at 2 or get up to 4, depending on how transfers break.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shouting match now on Tonight Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Deputy leader debate - Simon Coveney is rattled, he knows he and his party are shagged come Monday, also fairly irritating that he keeps trying to drown out whomever it is speaking.

Dara Calleary is a very unlikable individual, smarmy head on him too.

Pearse Doherty head and shoulders above the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I think the tide is turning in favour of SF. Since Thursday night I'm finding people saying they're going to vote SF in unusual places.

Athletics training people of age 30-50 Thursday eve. Didn't mind their support so much. Hurling training for children yesterday evening. A different demographic, lots of farmers who said they'd vote SF to as they were the only party who said they'd break the beef cartel.

Now back from children's rugby training, different group as well. A lot strong SF, want change really, a good few critical of Harris and Murphy. Also Noone came up, people feeling she was smug and condescending, practically every family has a member with some 'condition'.

Most are over the SF/IRA connection. Know FG and FF supporters did terrible things 1923-24 and Cumann na nGaedhael were in government from 1922 and FF from 1932. That stick used to beat SF is going.

How did the kids.rugby go? or were ye too busy discussing politics to notice?y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I know and worked with people from every part of Mayo over the years, and i have yet to meet anyone with such a ridiculous accent as Dara Calleary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I don't think Coveney gets the irony of describing himself as a personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Taxi for Coppinger. Publicly owned, of course.
    Jaysis she is truly clueless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Shouting match now on Tonight Show

It's the Tonight Show, you hardly expected anything different. It's generally woeful

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's the Tonight Show, you hardly expected anything different. It's generally woeful

I stopped watching regularly a long time ago. That two presenter thing is cringe.

Jeez, Ruth Coppinger is on a different planet. I’d never seen her on an election debate before.

They have candidates in the majority of constituencies. How? Who are ? I have no words.

I did like her blouse though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Jeez, Ruth Coppinger is on a different planet. I’d never seen her on an election debate before.

They have candidates in the majority of constituencies. How? Who are ? I have no words.

I did like her blouse though :D

Ruth, like a lot of other TD's across the board, is a teacher on sabbatical and will have that pension to go along with her TD's pension plus the lump sum to look forward to if things go belly up on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ruth, like a lot of other TD's across the board, is a teacher on sabbatical

Hopefully she gets returned as a TD, if only to protect the vulnerable young minds she'd have access to otherwise.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Wonder what tricks tubs has up his sleeve tonight ? Paul Quinn’s mother been one anyway I presume. Shameless bastards rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Wonder what tricks tubs has up his sleeve tonight ? Paul Quinn’s mother been one anyway I presume. Shameless bastards rte.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0206/1113633-this-weeks-late-late-show-line-up-revealed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »

Can't find the misery slot in the lineup, must have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Has the moratorium on election coverage not kicked in?

• Advertisement

Has the moratorium on election coverage not kicked in?

Think it's 2pm.

John calling it as it looks. FF and FG may have no choice but to merge or break the taboo and talk to SF.
    Lots of external problems on the way, a prolonged period of political instability is the last thing the country needs.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/instability-beckons-as-one-election-could-well-lead-to-another-and-maybe-even-a-third-38934740.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

John calling it as it looks. FF and FG may have no choice but to merge or break the taboo and talk to SF.
    Lots of external problems on the way, a prolonged period of political instability is the last thing the country needs.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/instability-beckons-as-one-election-could-well-lead-to-another-and-maybe-even-a-third-38934740.html

I agree, hence the need for everyone to avoid voting for Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Zetor19 wrote: »

Why would you feel the need to make up something like that?

Regina trying to cut strips out of Jim Callaghan over Gerry Adams on S0'R is absolutely brilliant atm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Neither will happen. Martin will first look to put together a 'soft left' coalition with the support of Greens, Labour etc. If the numbers are not there for that, and that should become clear within a matter of days, he will quickly seek the support of FG to form a minority government. No reason for "a prolonged period of political instability"...

blanch152 wrote: »

Tbf blanch you've been predicting their demise since as far back as I've been interacting with you on this site, and now you're on here at the edge of your seat after witnessing their surge in the polls pleading for people not to vote for them. That's some irony.

blanch152 wrote: »
    A realist would suggest that the only option for stability is FF/FG merging or a combination of FG/SF or FF/SF.
    Your comment is from a position of personal bias detached from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

A realist would suggest that the only option for stability is FF/FG merging or a combination of FG/SF or FF/SF.

The vote hasn't happened yet. The best option for stability is for the majority of the country to vote for competent parties who don't have a track record of bringing down the government where they were voted in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That an equal number of people go for one or the other suggests that is a non-runner and it's an indication of exasperation some people feel that we don't follow a more traditional left-right political dichotomy.

Advertisement