Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just curious how this works. Lets say the quota in Limerick is 10001. Willie o dea gets 20000 and is elected with a surplus of 10k.my query is which of the 20k votes he got is distributed? How do they know which ones to select?
    I often wondered that but someone told me they take an equal amount from each bundle rather than individual boxes. If they took them from individual boxes there might be a geographical advantage.
    Anyone to confirm the exact procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a small element of chance in the paper method. The electronic voting would have done away with that TMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Water John wrote: »
    There is a small element of chance in the paper method. The electronic voting would have done away with that TMK.

as far as i remember the electronic voting system used the same method ie its didnt count all transfers, as the voting count had to mirror the paper method

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Edgware wrote: »
    I often wondered that but someone told me they take an equal amount from each bundle rather than individual boxes. If they took them from individual boxes there might be a geographical advantage.
    Anyone to confirm the exact procedure?

Its explained in link above if you have time to go through thread.

An example, if we are talking about surpluses:

Quota is 10,000. Candidate A is on 9500 on fourth count.

Fifth count: Candidate A picks up 1000 votes. Deemed elected with 500 surplus.

Then sixth count would be distributing that surplus. To do so they would check the 1,000 votes and, assuming there were sufficient transferable votes, they would estimate the transfers on the basis of the next preference on that bundle of votes.

There is a bit more to it but i think thats the essential bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Kivaro wrote: »
    I dislike Sinn Fein. I see them more of a social-welfare and open-border party than anything else.

But the way I see it is that they will either destroy the economy with Venezuelan-type policies (within the confines allowed by the EU), which would then finally require a reboot of the country to give us a better Ireland v2, or they may actually indeed initiate change and give the people who work or contribute to society the services and infrastructure that we deserve. Either way, it will be CHANGE and we will not have the same FFG lies, corruption and cronyism that we have been forced to endure for many decades.

"Come out ye Black and Tans, come out and fight me like a man
    Show your wife how you won medals down in Flanders.
    Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away
    From the green and lovely lanes of Killashandra."

Welcome to "Change" people.
    It's what most of us we wanted; so let's all work together for a positive outcome. The people of Ireland deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Kivaro wrote: »
    "Come out ye Black and Tans, come out and fight me like a man
    Show your wife how you won medals down in Flanders.
    Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away
    From the green and lovely lanes of Killashandra."

Welcome to "Change" people.
    It's what most of us we wanted; so let's all work together for a positive outcome. The people of Ireland deserve it.

No it isn't. 3/4 of voters rejected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Despite everything it still looks like Michael Martin will be the next Taoiseach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Despite everything it still looks like Michael Martin will be the next Taoiseach.

He'd sell his granny at this stage to be taoiseach.

For the past month he said he would not go into government with SF.Two hours after they started counting the votes and he's prepared to join up with them! FF will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yup Martin will get his wish and be Taoiseach

Might be very short lived but he won't be the first FF leader not to be Taoiseach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

I don't think you can call not giving a first preference vote a rejection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Yeap which shows him as a hypocrite as he had strong objections and concerns about SF policys getting into government and wouldnt form a government with them yet there seems to be a change of tune from him now.

He was there when Ahern made the mess and now hes flirting with going into a government before pre election he didnt trust or want to work with for the so called good of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

By that measure 96% of people rejected Labour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

By that measure 96% of people rejected Labour
    They did, and they'll have the 4 or 5 seats that reflect that level of support

SF left several seats behind them by not running enough candidates and that may well come back to haunt them. They now have to walk the walk and go into government in which case they can no longer continue making populist announcements and soundbites. If they refuse to go into government (after talking a load of shyte about how hard they tried ) then they will be seen to be a crowd of bluffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

SF left several seats behind them by not running enough candidates and that may well come back to haunt them. They now have to walk the walk and go into government in which case they can no longer continue making populist announcements and soundbites. If they refuse to go into government (after talking a load of shyte about how hard they tried ) then they will be seen to be a crowd of bluffers.

By who? The people that didn't vote for them, or the other two pair of bluffers?
    Everybody and their dog knows what happened this election, they know where things stand, they know what SF may or may not do. The change has already happened. No sense in rushing into a splintered government to try and prove something to the civil war politicians and their die-hards.
    Besides, wasn't it FF and FG that were mouthing off about not going into coalition with them or maybe each other? SF have nothing to prove to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

SF left several seats behind them by not running enough candidates and that may well come back to haunt them. They now have to walk the walk and go into government in which case they can no longer continue making populist ann:cool:
    ouncements and soundbites. If they refuse to go into government (after talking a load of shyte about how hard they tried ) then they will be seen to be a crowd of bluffers.

The wind has gone out of your sails a bit this afternoon Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Debate continuing on Liveline with FG voter losing the plot. Will not allow a conversation to take place.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The wind has gone out of your sails a bit this afternoon Dan.

Mary Lou would want to start digging Mc, she has 100,000 houses to build! That's what she promised anyway and a lot of voters believe her:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Debate continuing on Liveline with FG voter losing the plot. Will not allow a conversation to take place.
    FG voters ringing in by the bucketload.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to SF going into coalition as long as they give SF the Health and Housing ministries.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Suckit wrote: »
    FG voters ringing in by the bucketload.

They are all still living in fantasy FGland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Leo and FG are the ones stepping back and not looking like being willing to form a government - there's very little fight left in them and Leo looks like he's happy to put his feet up in opposition.

Precisely the thing that SF is accused of.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Mary Lou would want to start digging Mc, she has 100,000 houses to build! That's what she promised anyway and a lot of voters believe her:D

The big 3 promised a s**t load of house building to be fair. Do you really think that everyone who voted for FF, FG and SF thought that they were seriously going to live up to their election promises in full?

'The big 3'

I like the sound of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Is leo's position as leader now going to come under pressure.

mgn wrote: »
    Is leo's position as leader now going to come under pressure.

I'd say he's not too bothered. I wouldn't be surprised if he has his eye on a job in Brussels. He knows he's not going to Taoiseach again.

The big 3 promised a s**t load of house building to be fair. Do you really think that everyone who voted for FF, FG and SF thought that they were seriously going to live up to their election promises in full?

So you're saying that Mary Lou was lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'd say he's not too bothered. I wouldn't be surprised if he has his eye on a job in Brussels. He knows he's not going to Taoiseach again.

As an outsider to the election, Coveney always seemed a bit more statesmanlike than Leo and comes across very well. I do think that the above was always the path for Leo and maybe he should relinquish now if he is not going to have another crack at the top job.

• Advertisement

So you're saying that Mary Lou was lying.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Do you believe politician's electoral promises? We, as an electorate, expect it from them and we reward them for it.

Advertisement