Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I wouldn't have seen a problem with a change, Brexit is in autopilot from the EU, we have no say in it.

What change do you believe we would have had with a second election in 2016 due to there being no confidence and supply agreement :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Idbatterim wrote: »
    On a global level we barely make a drop in the ocean of difference. But we have awful air quality In many of our towns and city. That is caused primarily by disgusting diesel. That needs to be addressed

Are you forgetting who led the charge towards diesel in the first place? (and created the two tier motor tax system that instantly devalued "older" cars and led us to where the take has been steadily dropping for years)

Letting a bunch like Ryan's tax obsessed Greens at the controls again isn't the answer to our local climate challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emerfan

On a global level we barely make a drop in the ocean of difference. But we have awful air quality In many of our towns and city. That is caused primarily by disgusting diesel. That needs to be addressed

Disgusting diesel is often the only economically viable mode of transport if you live in rural Ireland. When you live 20 miles down a potholey bog road with no broadband, there isn't a whole lot of public transport available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

rob316 wrote: »
    Housing is the big thing for me and FG in 9 years have built nothing. The first affordable housing project in as long in the entire country was announced for Cork a few months back. It's pathetic.

Thought Mary Lou did well but should drop the childish remarks there is enough to hammer them on.

Jesus Ryan is mad please don't let them near power.

I just can't stand that elitist snob Leo. Martin then just reminds me too much of Ahern.
    Progress has been glacial. But Is ramping up now. What type of housing do you mean specifically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

SeamusFX wrote: »
    That’s the BIG Problem, Claire thought she was part of the debate team, not the moderator she was supposed to be. What’s really sad, is instead of being a moderator, she was a cheerleader for Fine Gael. Very biased and pathetic!

She moderated it perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

leahyl wrote: »
    Thought Roisin Shortall and Brendan Howlin came across the best to be honest. Wasn’t overly impressed with Mary Lou and was considering giving my number one to Sinn Fein....don’t know now.

You could always give your no1 to Tweedledum or Tweedledee so. After all they''ve both been in Govt for the last 5 years and just look at the great job they've done for the country.

She moderated it perfectly.

They’ve just handed rte a ten million euro bailout !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You could always give your no1 to Tweedledum or Tweedledee so. After all they''ve both been in Govt for the last 5 years and just look at the great job they've done for the country.

??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The country is fine.

Stop with the hyperbole.

Nowhere is some magical land of bliss and every country has problems, most worst than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Does anyone feel SF are going to do far far better than expected? I keep seeing signs that they are far more popular than even the polls seem to suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Have to laugh at the right wingers giving out at about RBB. He was dead right about the vulture funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The country is fine.

Stop with the hyperbole.

Nowhere is some magical land of bliss and every country has problems, most worst than Ireland.

Okay Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

deisedevil wrote: »
    Does anyone feel SF are going to do far far better than expected? I keep seeing signs that they are far more popular than even the polls seem to suggest.

FF, SF and Greens in coalition. It’s what the people of Ireland want.

They’ve just handed rte a ten million euro bailout !

So what?

Have to laugh at the right wingers giving out at about RBB. He was dead right about the vulture funds.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Okay Leo.

Brilliant.

So what?

Certainly no one more deserving of it than rte ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You live in one of the wealthiest, safest, and most equal societies on the planet. About 7 billion people would give their left hand to have half the opportunity you do. The lack of context these days is extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

deisedevil wrote: »

They have gaps though. Limerick county, Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo look barren for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Darc19 wrote: »
    Mary Lou not good at all and possibly an error finishing off as gaelige. Reminds people of their murderous past connections
    gmisk wrote: »
    Huh? I am not sure what speaking Irish has to do with murderous past connections...I think more of an issue that lot of people would have no clue what she is saying.

I think Darc19's comment is fairly pathetic regardless of what party you support or vote for. It just shows what a joke of a nation Ireland has become.
    A nation more influenced by America to the west and the UK to the east - all to the detriment of Ireland's culture. It just shows what a plastic nation we have become. Soon it will become the norm for for politicians to use the word 'like' in the manner of over excitable teenage girls (even in formal speech). An intonation which originated in the USA and spread like a virus through the mediums of American entertainment TV, then followed on the internet.

Furthermore many Irish people identify with and also try to ape Britain in terms of taste past-times and pop culture etc - just to add to the confusion. The invisible invasion has definitely reached its nadir with comments like Darc19. Yet I assume he/she considers themselves to be a proud citizen of Ireland. It's pathetic.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Progress has been glacial. But Is ramping up now. What type of housing do you mean specifically?

Affordable housing. Rents should of been frozen and capped. They have done absolutely nothing to stem the homeless crisis.

It's the one thing I'll give FF they have a record of the party that builds.

Certainly no one more deserving of it than rte ...

But we are talking about how Claire moderated the debate, not whether RTE deserves that money or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,186 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Typical how the audience member’s face lit up when Leo told her he was gonna give her a tax break. Hollow election promises work.

rob316 wrote: »
    Affordable housing. Rents should of been frozen and capped. They have done absolutely nothing to stem the homeless crisis.

Homeless crisis my hoop.

People who never bothered in school or to better themselves now waiting on handouts and a free gaff.

You want something in life, then work hard for it.

Don't expect anyone to hand it to you.

You live in one of the wealthiest, safest, and most equal societies on the planet. About 7 billion people would give their left hand to have half the opportunity you do. The lack of context these days is extraordinary.

This argument is nonsense.

Yes we don't live in some failed state with corrupt militia running it like a dictatorship and living in our own filth with running water or indoor plumbing considered to be a luxury.

But by the standards of a modern first world Western society (which is where we ACTUALLY live!), things could be a LOT better!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emerfan

But we are talking about how Claire moderated the debate, not whether RTE deserves that money or not.

She did a good job. It was highly entertaining. What more could you want? Maybe one of those chairs Graham Norton has actually.

What other country on this planet taxes even their working poor at a fifty percent marginal rate over 35k ? And we have a very high cost of living. Looking forward to the reply !

I like Roisin Shorthall.

• Advertisement

emerfan wrote: »
    She did a good job. It was highly entertaining. What more could you want? Maybe one of those chairs Graham Norton has actually.

I don't know, I thought she did a good job aswell.

Advertisement