Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Homeless crisis my hoop.

People who never bothered in school or to better themselves now waiting on handouts and a free gaff.

You want something in life, then work hard for it.

Don't expect anyone to hand it to you.
    That’s it though , the less you do here , the more those in government want to throw free stuff at you !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This argument is nonsense.

Yes we don't live in some failed state with corrupt militia running it like a dictatorship and living in our own filth with running water or indoor plumbing considered to be a luxury.

But by the standards of a modern first world Western society (which is where we ACTUALLY live!), things could be a LOT better!

3rd in the UN Human Development index behind only Norway and Switzerland. Of course it isn’t perfect, but many of the issues we face aren’t unique to Ireland. We never acknowledge what is working - our redistribution tax policies, our leading cancer survival rates, our excellent primary and secondary education systems.

All the cribbing and moaning just gets really tiresome after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

9 years and the best FG can say is we got a brexit deal done. Health, housing, crime as bad as when they started.

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You live in one of the wealthiest, safest, and most equal societies on the planet. About 7 billion people would give their left hand to have half the opportunity you do. The lack of context these days is extraordinary.
    j

You don't have a problem with working people not being able to buy a home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Why didn’t they give Brendan a stool?

And poor Roisín hardly got a word in.

The Lou one was just rude at times and came off badly at the start with joint attack on who’s pulling the SF strings. Clearly Micheal and FF have it in for SF.

School teacher Ryan was ready for the herd question and got stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

3 outta 4 give it to the Sinners. Lol.

Freudian slip!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

YFlyer wrote: »
    Just in time for the closing of the student bar.

Protesters are gone to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I think Darc19's comment is fairly pathetic regardless of what party you support or vote for. It just shows what a joke of a nation Ireland has become.
    A nation more influenced by America to the west and the UK to the east - all to the detriment of Ireland's culture. It just shows what a plastic nation we have become. Soon it will become the norm for for politicians to use the word 'like' in the manner of over excitable teenage girls in formal speech. An intonation which originated in the USA and spread like a virus through the mediums of American entertainment TV, then followed on the internet.

Furthermore many Irish people identify also try to ape Britain in terms of taste past-times and pop culture etc - just to add to the confusion. The invisible invasion has definitely reached its nadir with comments like Darc19. Yet I assume he/she considers themselves to be a proud citizen of Ireland. It's pathetic.

MLM always has a tough task in these setups. Being ex FF, she has to constantly prove herself to Bobby Storey, Seanna Walsh et al on the Andersonstown Rd. While at the same time appearing sympathetic enough to the malleable middle class Dublin moms she was picked to appeal to.
    Failed on both counts tonight.
    Her best hope of a bump is certainly with the missguided idealist student types, and plastic Gaeilgeoirs now. Hence the Irish dog whistle. The Hard left is too crowded for gains. The knuckle dragger border dwellers are sewn up but that wont be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

rob316 wrote: »
    9 years and the best FG can say is we got a brexit deal done. Health, housing, crime as bad as when they started.

Get out.

Do you forget how bad things were 9 years ago? Can you remember how many ghost estates we had? Do you know how high the unemployment rate was?

• Advertisement

Homeless crisis my hoop.

People who never bothered in school or to better themselves now waiting on handouts and a free gaff.

You want something in life, then work hard for it.

Don't expect anyone to hand it to you.

When I say homeless I'm talking about the people who don't have a home of there own. Who can't afford market rent, who can't save for a deposit for a mortgage because they are crippled from paying market rent.

A working couple who goes out and works 40 hours a week each should be able to rent or buy a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

rob316 wrote: »

Get out.

And the best FF can say is that we enabled the getting of the Brexit deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This argument is nonsense.

Yes we don't live in some failed state with corrupt militia running it like a dictatorship and living in our own filth with running water or indoor plumbing considered to be a luxury.

But by the standards of a modern first world Western society (which is where we ACTUALLY live!), things could be a LOT better!

Look at the other major alternatives in English speaking western democracy Trump in America - Boris in the UK. I think a lot of this 'better' is purely illusory. Until the next crowd get in - and the same would be said about them what you are saying now. Do you honestly think the like of Boris or Trump would ever get elected in Ireland?

Compared to other countries Ireland is a lot more stable politically and there are no extremes of left/right. The fact that FF/FG are constantly elected proves that Irish people are happy with the middle ground. And those on the fringes are in thier own bubble claiming 'change' is around the corner. When in reality they are on the outside pissing in most of time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Why didn’t they give Brendan a stool?

And poor Roisín hardly got a word in.

The Lou one was just rude at times and came off badly at the start with joint attack on who’s pulling the SF strings. Clearly Micheal and FF have it in for SF.

School teacher Ryan was ready for the herd question and got stuck in.

Mary Lou running away with the poll here on boards, also on the journal and just now the panelists on the after show on RTE all went with Mary Lou. I thought she was caught out a few times and poor when it came to discussing the financial side of things, but it's clear that most people feel she came out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The country is fine.

Stop with the hyperbole.

Nowhere is some magical land of bliss and every country has problems, most worst than Ireland.

Crime has gone crazy since the new year, Garda still running around in 07 Mondeos while state agencies hand out 3 times the estimate for building works, Corruption is rife in Ireland , just because it's worse elsewhere doesn't make it acceptable here.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Do you forget how bad things were 9 years ago? Can you remember how many ghost estates we had? Do you know how high the unemployment rate was?

The world economy has boomed, fine Gael have nothing to do with that just like I wouldn't give FF the full blame for the meltdown.
    Can you with a straight face say housing, health or crime has improved? It hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The majority of the 7 party leaders are privileged, privately educated and wealthy. Most true of the left wing parties.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Fann Linn wrote: »
    3 outta 4 give it to the Sinners. Lol.

I think the shinners will do well out of this election, possibly could out poll fg who after the homeless lad injury and the black and tans controversies will be hoping for no more banana skins between now and polling day.

I'm on the north Kildare/Wicklow border, and tbh I don't know anything about their candidate in North Kildare which would entice me to give her my vote, despite giving them a vote in the past more often than not.

Despite boards regular shinner bashers predicting their imminent demise since forever, they seem to be eating into the vote share year on year.

Crime has gone crazy since the new year, Garda still running around in 07 Mondeos while state agencies hand out 3 times the estimate for building works, Corruption is rife in Ireland , just because it's worse elsewhere doesn't make it acceptable here.

Not at all. Mondeos are gone long long ago. They've been using Hyundais with a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

deisedevil wrote: »
    Mary Lou running away with the poll here on boards, also on the journal and just now the panelists on the after show on RTE all went with Mary Lou. I thought she was caught out a few times and poor when it came to discussing the financial side of things, but it's clear that most people feel she came out on top.

Just like Corbyn then...

• Advertisement

Just like Corbyn then...

You could be right there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Journal.ie is a SF mouthpiece- in no way is a poll there objectively credible or anything other online platform really as SF supporters (paid and otherwise) are well known to spend their lives trolling them. No surprise SF had the most cheerleaders in the audience tonight either.
    Tonight proves that no one need have any fear from Mary Lou in three ways as she’s hopelessly devoid of detail when anything is delved into further. In fact the public need to see more of her to expose the bluster more widely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Ah that’s racist

It's the height of sizism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

McMurphy wrote: »
    I think the shinners will do well out of this election, possibly could out poll fg who after the homeless lad injury and the black and tans controversies will be hoping for no more banana skins between now and polling day.

I'm on the north Kildare/Wicklow border, and tbh I don't know anything about their candidate in North Kildare which would entice me to give her my vote, despite giving them a vote in the past more often than not.

Despite boards regular shinner bashers predicting their imminent demise since forever, they seem to be eating into the vote share year on year.

Yes just like last June’s elections. What they actually poll on the day again?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not at all. Mondeos are gone long long ago. They've been using Hyundais with a long time.

Plenty of unmarked Mondeo's still operating.

road_high wrote: »
    Journal.ie is a SF mouthpiece- in no way is a poll there objectively credible or anything other online platform really as SF supporters (paid and otherwise) are well known to spend their lives trolling them. No surprise SF had the most cheerleaders in the audience tonight either.
    Tonight proves that no one need have any fear from Mary Lou in three ways as she’s hopelessly devoid of detail when anything is delved into further. In fact the public need to see more of her to expose the bluster more widely

Why is it no surprise?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Shocking the Mary Lou is going with reducing the pension age.
    Nuts idea.

I want a unicorn!!
    All the parties are giving away Unicorns ,we'll be up to our necks in unicorn crap by Paddys day.

road_high wrote: »

I thought RBB had the most cheerleaders. I'd have thought Doherty would be better leading Sinn Fein myself. The Journal aside though, it really does appear that the general consensus is that she came out on top tonight.

Plenty of unmarked Mondeo's still operating.

Must be different in your part of the country. Mostly Hyundais in marked and unmarked down my way. Haven't seen a Mondeo in so long with them.

• Advertisement

When they found the remnants of that Drogheda teenager the 2 Garda vehicles parked at the scene were an 07 Mondeo and an 08 Iveco van.

Advertisement