Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

rob316 wrote: »
    The world economy has boomed, fine Gael have nothing to do with that just like I wouldn't give FF the full blame for the meltdown.
    Can you with a straight face say housing, health or crime has improved? It hasn't.

Check your figures on a booming world economy, compare our growth rate vs the globe/EU. You’ll be surprised.

There is a shortage of affordable housing, that’s down to an under supply in the market. The ‘homeless crisis’ is a myth. Crime there’s an issue with Drogheda/Hutch/Kinahan etc. Health isn’t that bad, it’s overplayed in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This argument is nonsense.

Yes we don't live in some failed state with corrupt militia running it like a dictatorship and living in our own filth with running water or indoor plumbing considered to be a luxury.

But by the standards of a modern first world Western society (which is where we ACTUALLY live!), things could be a LOT better!

People giving out about the state of our housing crisis aren't comparing Ireland to other first world countries - which actually do have similar housing issues to our own.

Type "Housing Crisis 'EUROPEANCITY' " into google and you'll find there's major issues all across Europe. This isn't just an Irish issue that our politicans are failing to solve. Every politican in Europe must be terrible if none of them have managed to find a solution yet.
    Of course everyone would like for working people to be able to afford a home, but the answers of how to manage that aren't as easy as some would like you to believe.

Revealed: The state of Sweden's housing shortage - The Local
    May 14, 2019 - More than 80 percent of Sweden's municipalities face a shortage of housing, according to a new report. But do the figures exaggerate the ...

Costly city homes, crumbling country houses – Finland's top 5 ...
    Oct 9, 2018 - There is a shortage of affordable housing, especially in the Helsinki region, which is aggravating the labour shortage in the area, particularly in ...

Housing shortage revives stalled schemes in Spain's cities ...
    Dec 9, 2019 - Joaquín Gómez stands on a hill overlooking scrubland on the edge of Madrid and points at the expanse below. Areas have been marked out ...

850 new affordable homes will have little impact on Ljubljana’s residential market – Translation of an article that appeared in Finance, Slovenia’s daily financial newspaper, on Tuesday 14th March 2017
    Slovenia, together with Italy and Greece, has the highest percentage of youth living at home of all OECD countries – with more than 70 percent of 15 to 29 year-olds cohabiting with their parents.

German cities struggle to curb housing shortage | Germany ...
    Jul 22, 2019 - For years Germany's real estate market has been plagued by a housing ... Munich, Frankfurt and Berlin also build fewer apartments than ...

The state of Scotland's housing market in four charts - BBC.com
    Jan 22, 2019 - Soaring private rents, long waiting lists for social housing and ... So, looking to find something before they sell [creates a] shortage of supply." ... Over the same period, Glasgow saw its average rents jump from £567 to £749.

Housing crisis is now an emergency, says real estate agents ...
    DutchNews.nl-9 Jan 2020
    The housing crisis in the Netherlands has turned into a housing emergency, the head of the Dutch real estate agents' association said on ...

www.theguardian.com › world › jan › new-zealand-housing-crisis-jus...
    New Zealand housing crisis: just 47 'affordable' homes built in ...
    Jan 28, 2019 - Jacinda Ardern's ...

www.huffingtonpost.ca › entry › rental-housing-shortage-canada_ca_...
    Canada's Rental Housing Shortage Will Get 'Deeper', Real ...
    Dec 15, 2019 - Barely more than half of millennials believe they will ever own a home. But there's no rental housing for them, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

road_high wrote: »
    Yes just like last June’s elections. What they actually poll on the day again?

June's election was a local council election.

I'm talking about national election, however I do recall fg getting decimated in the locals previous to last year's and FG cheerleaders telling folk that the locals don't matter, now they do again wha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Sinn Fein vote in local elections was a third less than the polls predicted, leading them to lose almost half their local election seats.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

deisedevil wrote: »
    Must be different in your part of the country. Mostly Hyundais in marked and unmarked down my way. Haven't seen a Mondeo in so long with them.

They've pulled the stickers off the high mileage Hyundai estates and using them as replacements for the Mondeos and Focus
    . They had a trick a few years ago where the new cars would be at a station for 5000kms and then passed to another area to make it look that they had more new vehicles than they actually had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

They've pulled the stickers off the high mileage Hyundai estates and using them as replacements for the Mondeos and Focus
    . They had a trick a few years ago where the new cars would be at a station for 5000kms and then passed to another area to make it look that they had more new vehicles than they actually had.

Unreal. They really are trying to carry out their jobs with a hand tied behind their back all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Check your figures on a booming world economy, compare our growth rate vs the globe/EU. You’ll be surprised.

There is a shortage of affordable housing, that’s down to an under supply in the market. The ‘homeless crisis’ is a myth. Crime there’s an issue with Drogheda/Hutch/Kinahan etc. Health isn’t that bad, it’s overplayed in the media.

Our economy growth will always be high than others as we have a large number of multinationals here due to a low corporation tax rate.

If the global economy crashes again it will go to **** here again.

We have an under resourced police force, violent assaults are through the roof many not even going reported.

Health is not overplayed, I wouldn't put my life in the hands of the HSE. It's a blackhole of wasted resources and mismanagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

C__MC wrote: »
    SinnFein have a solid go on this campaign to be fair
    Intrigued to see if they can make huge inroads
    Or will the concept of the IRA hurt them?

Anyone supporting SF can't be right in the head. A bunch of hypocritical populists who condoned the slaughter of Irish people and have never apologised for that stance or acknowledged that it was morally indefensible. Pure political poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

boardise wrote: »
    Anyone supporting SF can't be right in the head. A bunch of hypocritical populists who condoned the slaughter of Irish people and have never apologised for that stance or acknowledged that it was morally indefensible. Pure political poison.

And you have FG wanting to host state commemorations for the black and tans.

Mad altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

The DUP circa 1998 just called. They want their rhetoric back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

rob316 wrote: »
    The world economy has boomed, fine Gael have nothing to do with that just like I wouldn't give FF the full blame for the meltdown.
    Can you with a straight face say housing, health or crime has improved? It hasn't.

So I guess Greece has no problems like high unemployment under the Sinn Fein economics model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Interesting to read the take of all of you on the debate.
    What I find utterly objectionable is a bunch of journos/"experts" coming on tv immediately afterwards to tell us who won. It is for you to decide who won. But the television celebrities who are light years up their own anuses think you are too stupid to make up your own minds and need their guidance.
    It reminds me of going to mass long ago. A piece of the gospel was read, and was followed by a sermon in which the priest might as well have said: " It is appreciated that you thick slobs haven't a clue what that piece of the gospel was all about, so I'm going to explain it to you, and tell you what you are supposed to think."
    I've said it before and I say it again: these media gob****es regard themselves as the new bishops. At least the old ones recognised a higher authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Build a bridge. Even the Queen sat down with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So I guess Greece has no problems like high unemployment under the Sinn Fein economics model.

TBF, everytime our economy crashes nobody saw it coming and that's when we're doing things the 'right' way followed by 'taking one for the team'. And the lowly working tax payer being blamed for partying or going mad depending on which of the stable parties you subscribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

And that higher authority is Bod himself. He might be retired, but don't you ever forget his importance to Irish rugby.

Look to Kerry for the Second Coming. There's a young fellow called Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

All the parties are giving away Unicorns ,we'll be up to our necks in unicorn crap by Paddys day.
    The code of that Insane bull**** is 420,000,000 a year, every year , an it will increase massively over time. Robbing from the working poor to pay for it , at sixty five , you’ve had your life to provide and likely have a home sorted !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Don't know how SF will do but its obvious FF/FG are worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

This is it wrote: »
    It'll be closer to 2bn

Worth remembering that this NCH was being touted almost 30 years ago -when FF finally got around to it Bertie Ahern pushed to have it on the Mater site !!
    MM fully supported the Ahern idea which was crazy and rightly rejected at the planning stage.
    Google ' National Children's Hospital timeline'
    and scroll down to the second photo where you will see MM poring intently over the model.
    Sorry , but he has no credibility on this issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Every democrat should be worried when elected politicians swear to follow the instructions of unelected cult leaders.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

FF must be most worried, they are on course to have most seats but only just.

Choice then will be coalition with fg or coalition with sinn fein and others.

Both of which they are ruling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

they only have 40 candidates running across the country , had they at leats double that then they might ruffle a few feathers , i think they missed a trick in their election planning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

easypazz wrote: »
    FF must be most worried, they are on course to have most seats but only just.

Choice then will be coalition with fg or coalition with sinn fein and others.

Both of which they are ruling out.

You obviously misunderstand Michael Martin, this is super personal for him.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Every democrat should be worried when elected politicians swear to follow the instructions of unelected cult leaders.

As opposed to following instructions from vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FF needs Labour and Green Party hence Micheal sucking up to Eamon and Brendan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    FF needs Labour and Green Party hence his Micheal sucking up to Eamon and Brendan

Howlin edging towards SF according to reports on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There was a comment in the analysis after that MM was really worried. I don't think FG are because a coalition is out of the question there. But the pressure will be on for FF/SF.

The commentary suggested MMs thought is 'over my dead body', but that's the like scenario if polls are accurate.

On another note, I couldn't help but think that RTE let SF have the last word because of the whole huffing and puffing about ML not being in the other leaders debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

They gave rbb 4/10 and he was the obvious winner, its just he has only about 4 candidates and wont go anywhere.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    FF needs Labour and Green Party hence his Micheal sucking up to Eamon and Brendan

I doubt they will have the numbers, they will need either fg or sf somewhere along the way

Advertisement