Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Already posted this.

I am voting for Matt Carty this time with his running mate as No. 2. Or vice versa.

BTW, I have no interest in how others vote. Not sure why people need to know this stuff.

I believe the thinking is generally that folk will post, 'Now I'm no FG'er, but f*** me, if they aren't really good for the country. I'm not saying vote for them, but as an impartial observer, they are the best going so they are', which I can't see working on anyone anyway.
    Also, 'you would say that' is a great pull the chute go to for some party folk, like it denigrates any point you might make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Don't know where to post this. Ok severe wintry weather like December 2010 or Beast/Emma March 2018 hits. Transport is severely effected in many rural areas. Snow ploughs etc are struggling to keep the main roads open.

Will the election be postponed at the last minute?

Will it go ahead? Surely FF would suffer most? FG and SF, Greens etc most likely to gain votes in urban areas, where people can generally get to polling booths. The urban 'middle' classes most likely to vote FG, maybe Green. SF to do well in more 'working' class urban areas.

What's ye're take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Idbatterim wrote: »
    but of course they have to pay that marginal rate. When nobody else wants or is expected to pay their way. Can you blame anyone trying to dodge tax, for doing so? they arent poor, many are getting free houses, that people next door, can pay up to E3000 a month for, after bloody tax, no lpt, no management fee. you wont find the spineless weasel politicians calling a spade a spade here, but I will! They think , go after the "high earners" on 80-100k plus "high earners" :rolleyes: and they reckon they are fair game! Why? because how many voters pull in decent money as a percentage of the electorate? buy the rest of them off, with the mid to high earners taxes, that dont actually qualify them for better dole if made redundant, state pension is virtually the same. the system here, massively benefits to welfare recipients and lower paid, but at least the workers actually work! free gp visits, while working poor dont go, because they might have to pay E60. Free unlimited transport for many too, that dont actually work! Surprised the left here, havent proposed confiscating all property and wealth of the "rich" on 80k plus and selling it off and redistributing it to margaret cash and co....

you dont know where I am coming from, because you likely have dont know how things work in other countries, in the uk or germany etc, have a debate like yesterday, I can tell you now, the taxpayers there have a voice! It wouldnt be every party , trying to siphon off more money from them and give those paying into the system , nothing in return, which is what we have here...

That's because the welfare recipients don't have the money to pay for all that.
    They're not all lying on their ass.
    They're looking for jobs and at home carers.
    Companies like Seetec also have hounded unemployed people and not helped them get any work at all.
    Just being a complete nuisance.
    Anyway you wouldn't understand.
    People in general are selfish just looking at their own specific situation.
    People in society who need help for whatever reason should be able to get help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Don't know where to post this. Ok severe wintry weather like December 2010 or Beast/Emma March 2018 hits. Transport is severely effected in many rural areas. Snow ploughs etc are struggling to keep the main roads open.

Will it go ahead? Surely FF would suffer most? FG and SF, Greens etc most likely to gain votes in urban areas, where people can generally get to polling booths. The urban 'middle' classes most likely to vote FG, maybe Green. SF to do well in more 'working' class urban areas.

What's ye're take?

They would have follow protocol and postpone.

Edit - only if a red warning gets issued, and for those counties only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Here is a useful link to the manifestos of Irish political parties ahead of each general election.

http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/

It seems the meaning of a manifesto is lost on many people.

Only a party in government with an overall majority can attempt to deliver its manifesto in it’s entirety.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Naggdefy wrote: »

What's ye're take?

Hard to know. Has anyone made a prediction on turnout?

65% turnout in 2016...are the electorate more invigourated to get out and vote this time? I getting the feeling they are. If there's a gunder of snow? Maybe not so much so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Here is a useful link to the manifestos of Irish political parties ahead of each general election.

It seems the meaning of a manifesto is lost on many people.

Only a party in government with an overall majority can attempt to deliver its manifesto in it’s entirety.

Link?

I've asked on numerous occasions for examples where Kenny's government tried to enact key manifesto points only to have Labour scuttle them.
    Same with Varadkar's. Any key manifesto points put under the stairs by FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Link?

I've asked on numerous occasions for examples where Kenny's government tried to enact key manifesto points only to have Labour scuttle them.

http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Link?

http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/docs/fg/Fine%20Gael%20GE%202011.pdf

First point on first page looking to prioritise spending cuts over tax increases. Labour had a red line issue for no cuts in core social welfare rates. So in order to pay for those, tax increases were required instead.

This is Varadkar’s first election as leader so we don’t have a manifesto to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

He's like a lad coming back to school after the summer holidays, explaining what he got up to with "a girl who goes to a different school in a different town so you prob don't know her"[/QUOT

Looks like he's going to grab something .:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

I could see FG catching FF here. Varadkar is doing well against them after a bad start.

I'd be astonished if this happened. FG look sure to suffer losses at least among older people and farmers. Then they are losing many big names and vote-getters.
    They're unlikely to edge a number of three seaters against FF who have the momentum at this stage.
    On top of all that,as far as I can see, most of the media is unrelentingly hostile to them.
    Barring unforeseen happenings -damage limitation is all they are playing for -something in the low forties I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

boardise wrote: »
    I'd be astonished if this happened. FG look sure to suffer losses at least among older people and farmers. Then they are losing many big names and vote-getters.
    They're unlikely to edge a number of three seaters against FF who have the momentum at this stage.
    On top of all that,as far as I can see, most of the media is unrelentingly hostile to them.
    Barring unforeseen happenings -damage limitation is all they are playing for -something in the low forties I reckon.

Fine Gael are facing a General Election collapse in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Idbatterim wrote: »
    but of course they have to pay that marginal rate. When nobody else wants or is expected to pay their way. Can you blame anyone trying to dodge tax, for doing so? they arent poor, many are getting free houses, that people next door, can pay up to E3000 a month for, after bloody tax, no lpt, no management fee. you wont find the spineless weasel politicians calling a spade a spade here, but I will! They think , go after the "high earners" on 80-100k plus "high earners" :rolleyes: and they reckon they are fair game! Why? because how many voters pull in decent money as a percentage of the electorate? buy the rest of them off, with the mid to high earners taxes, that dont actually qualify them for better dole if made redundant, state pension is virtually the same. the system here, massively benefits to welfare recipients and lower paid, but at least the workers actually work! free gp visits, while working poor dont go, because they might have to pay E60. Free unlimited transport for many too, that dont actually work! Surprised the left here, havent proposed confiscating all property and wealth of the "rich" on 80k plus and selling it off and redistributing it to margaret cash and co....

you dont know where I am coming from, because you likely have dont know how things work in other countries, in the uk or germany etc, have a debate like yesterday, I can tell you now, the taxpayers there have a voice! It wouldnt be every party , trying to siphon off more money from them and give those paying into the system , nothing in return, which is what we have here...

Damned straight if i could get away with tax avoidance to use the politically correct term i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McMurphy wrote: »

Yep but bookies have them odds on to hold two seats in a lot of rural constituencies: Mayo, Limerick County, Clare, Carlow-Kilkenny...Conservatism of rural voters could see them minimise seat losses even if their vote takes a sizeable hit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Thought FG handled the debate well.FF not so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couple of candidates being found out by Miriam now on Prime time.

Saorise McHugh was tipped for a bright future in politics and I think she did a good job of ruining it tonight in 5 mins.

FFs Charlie McConnelogue also struggling to answer what he's being asked..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

NIMAN wrote: »

Saorise McHugh was tipped for a bright future in politics and I think she did a good job of ruining it tonight in 5 mins.

FFs Charlie McConnelogue also struggling to answer what he's being asked..
    Saoirse done the same the other night.

Absolutely clueless head banger like the greens.

No idea what they are actually on about.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jesus, that poor kid did not do well there.

Calhoun wrote: »
    What happened?

In summary basically made points that were against what her leader and party are saying.

Miriam even said maybe you need to be an independent.

Charlie gave an answer and MOC basically said that's not what I asked you, and then he struggled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Not sure why Saoirse McHugh is even in the Green Party. Disastrous interview for her and the party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Its going to be a FG-FF government again, confidence and supply motion. Probably FF as main party this time with MM as taoiseach

There's no other possibility. "for the good of the country" will be the buzz phrase for few weeks after.

This is a certainty.

In summary basically made points that against what her leader and party are saying.

Miriam even said maybe you need to be an independent.

Charlie gave an answer and MOC basically said that's not what I asked you, and then he struggled.

Ill need to watch it, did she go on a solo run of tax everything that Eamonn has been trying to distance himself from.

its good when the veil slips as you get to see the true intentions.

She just sounds a bit clueless. But you'd think if you are going to be on tv, the party would make sure you are schooled. She came across as someone who has never been asked a political question before.
    And it's not over, I'm sure she'll have to face another

She's on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Saoirse McHugh is useless.

Find her quite poor anytime I see her in this type of forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Its going to be a FG-FF government again, confidence and supply motion. Probably FF as main party this time with MM as taoiseach

There's no other possibility. "for the good of the country" will be the buzz phrase for few weeks after.

This is a certainty.

Do you thing they will go through the charade of FG abstaining on government legislation, or will Varadkar be willing to actually vote for it? IMO it would simplify thing and eliminate the need for other parties in the marriage...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Frustrating, as someone who supports the Green Party and would like to see as many Green TDs as possible elected.

With a national platform, instead of driving home the party’s message, she spent her first 3 minutes on air explaining why she doesn’t agree with the party on key issues. Wasted PR opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

A Green Party candidate that doesn't believe in carbon taxes, that has to be a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mgn wrote: »
    A Green Party candidate that doesn't believe in carbon taxes, that has to be a first.
    That definitely isn't the party line...

• Advertisement

Was disappointed with Charlie.

He's tipped for big things, every time you See Michael Martin his head is behind him.

Advertisement