Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Not sure why Saoirse McHugh is even in the Green Party. Disastrous interview for her and the party

The Greens are seen as anti rural. That rural car pooling comment from Ryan showed how out of touch they are. McHugh doesn't stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mgn wrote: »
    A Green Party candidate that doesn't believe in carbon taxes, that has to be a first.

They’re a mish mash party. They don’t know what they want bar save the planet.
    They’d cost the taxpayers a fortune with crazy policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Not sure why Saoirse McHugh is even in the Green Party. Disastrous interview for her and the party

Good God ,and to think she was in contention for a seat as an MEP !
    County Council material at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The national broadband plan is going to be a disaster and seriously out of date when delivered...and let's be honest massively over budget probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

ricero wrote: »
    Saoirse McHugh is useless.

Find her quite poor anytime I see her in this type of forum.

Sweet Jesus - looks likes she s believing her own publicity gained since the euro elections .
    She cannot articulate very straight forward policy questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

boardise wrote: »
    Good God ,and to think she was in contention for a seat as an MEP !
    County Council material at best.

Well if she is, I'd nearly try for a seat myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

gmisk wrote: »
    The national broadband plan is going to be a disaster and seriously out of date when delivered...and let's be honest massively over budget probably

Elaborate?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,299 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ill need to watch it, did she go on a solo run of tax everything that Eamonn has been trying to distance himself from.

its good when the veil slips as you get to see the true intentions.

Other way around. She said she's against carbon taxes which isn't in line with her party's views I don't think.

Her problem is she doesn't wear a veil for it to slip in the first place. She's entirely honest in pretty much everything she says which is anathema to doing well in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She just seems to have her own beliefs and to be fair she is probably being 100% honest In her answers, but since when was any politician honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sweet Jesus - looks likes she s believing her own publicity gained since the euro elections .
    She cannot articulate very straight forward policy questions.

Like a Junior Cert student who hasn’t prepared for a debate.

• Advertisement

Elaborate?
    I work in the civil service....that's all I am saying you hear things.

Satelite broadband should have also been employed in rural areas especially it has come on leaps and bounds speed wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

NIMAN wrote: »
    She just seems to have her own beliefs and to be fair she is probably being 100% honest In her answers, but since when was any politician honest?

As they say, politicians should be changed regularly like children’s nappies and for the same reason.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,299 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Exactly, she's too naive I think. You have to play the game if you want to get anywhere. Sure she was basically saying she wanted to disband the government altogether in an interview with Joe.ie last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Other way around. She said she's against carbon taxes which isn't in line with her party's views I don't think.

Her problem is she doesn't wear a veil for it to slip in the first place. She's entirely honest in pretty much everything she says which is anathema to doing well in Irish politics.

I am surprised, i will definitely have to watch it now and see if what she says makes sense.

As i said the big problem that the Greens have is dispelling the myth that they will tax the bollox off the country.

I always thought she was in a difficult place as a candidate because of where she lives a very remote part of Ireland.

Strange how she hasn't done well, she was the great green hope during the council elections, i am surprised they didn't bring her in line. Then again that seems to be the problem with the greens other than Ryan is there any real visible or known members other than Saoirse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

That definitely isn't the party line...

No, but it might give her a better chance of getting elected in a rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Like a Junior Cert student who hasn’t prepared for a debate.

That was cringe and after a cringe performance from Eamonn last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

This is the probably the most important investment this country will make in the next 20 years. Good high speed fibre optic broadband, lets a lot of people work from home, and removes people from having to live in the cities as they can work online in rural areas and in well paid jobs, without needing houses in Dublin region or transport to get to it or around it. It offers the chance of balancing moving people back to rural areas, at cheaper living costs.
    €3billion if done right is a drop in the ocean for the benefit it will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Highly doubt it as the other part of the party is talking about how to bring the hammer down on the selfish bastards that live outside of Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Cork and any other major city.

Dionysis wrote: »
    This is the probably the most important investment this country will make in the next 20 years. Good high speed fibre optic broadband, lets a lot of people work from home, and removes people from having to live in the cities as they can work online in rural areas and in well paid jobs, without needing houses in Dublin region or transport to get to it or around it. It offers the chance of balancing moving people back to rural areas, at cheaper living costs.
    €3billion if done right is a drop in the ocean for the benefit it will bring.
    I am not denying a national broadband plan is needed quite the opposite.
    My point is that the proposed technology will be out of date by the time it is put in place, it will also likely cost more than 3 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

But what are they?
    She doesn't want a dual carriage way because there are homeless people?

I haven't heard what her ideas are to be honest ....

• Advertisement

jesus that was an absolute car crash start to proceedings from saoirse, what a disaster

its not like she was going to win over farming, she should have been wise enough to stick to her party's policies and shown trust that theres support for a green agenda in rural areas

trying to go solo was risky, but doing so and seemingly surprising herself while garbling the answer to questions she had to have known were coming.......ooof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

Apologies if this has been asked already, and maybe it's just me that finds this wrong, but what is the story with the amount of people running in this election who were just elected to their local county council FOR THE FIRST TIME in May 2019?

Fair enough, if you were elected as a Councillor back in 2014 and you fancy a crack at the Dail now, no problem. But to be running in a general election just eight months after being elected as a Councillor for the first time, so you're still new in your current role, I mean wtf?

Does it not show a flagrant disregard for those people whom you asked for their vote to serve as their Councillor that you're now trying to make a run for the Dail? Maybe it's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm from Mayo and I can't see this working. She's trying to appease people who would never vote Green anyway. Her best (but still slim) hope was to mobilise the same progressive younger voters who got behind her in the euros.

I'm from Mayo and I can't see this working. She's trying to appease people who would never vote Green anyway. Her best (but still slim) hope was to mobilise the same progressive younger voters who got behind her in the euros.

thats what i would have thought- confidence to clearly back her partys policies and show that rural ireland is more than just the farming lobby, who were never going to back her anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I am not denying a national broadband plan is needed quite the opposite.
    My point is that the proposed technology will be out of date by the time it is put in place, it will also likely cost more than 3 billion.

But it won't.

Show us your evidence?

Your putting this point across, well prove it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

But it won't.

Show us your evidence?

NCH,
    IW,
    Sitserv deal

Selling houses to vulture funds....then buying them back.
    Prefered bidder how are ya.
    You know, the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

But it won't.

Show us your evidence?

More importantly, can it be reversed? Can the contract be stopped by the next Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Yep but bookies have them odds on to hold two seats in a lot of rural constituencies: Mayo, Limerick County, Clare, Carlow-Kilkenny...Conservatism of rural voters could see them minimise seat losses even if their vote takes a sizeable hit

Listening to Gavin O Reilly and Ivan Yeats earlier.....prediction was for NO FG seat for Sligo/Leitrim....so not holding seats on all rural areas. And Yeats is good with election predictions.

He had Marion Harkin (independent) stealing the current FG seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Heard Ming was out canvassing with her recently, when that fool can get elected, there is hope for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus how do people vote for Joan Burton.

Her voice penetrates your skull like a migraine.

Advertisement