Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Listening to Gavin O Reilly and Ivan Yeats earlier.....prediction was for NO FG seat for Sligo/Leitrim....so not holding seats on all rural areas. And Yeats is good with election predictions.

He had Marion Harkin (independent) stealing the current FG seat.

FG not going to get a seat in Roscommon/Galway either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Listening to Gavin O Reilly and Ivan Yeats earlier.....prediction was for NO FG seat for Sligo/Leitrim....so not holding seats on all rural areas. And Yeats is good with election predictions.

One constituency where they have two newbie candidates. Every commentator has Harkin a shoe-in for a seat. I'd be surprised if they came back with fewer than 40 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Suckit wrote: »
    More importantly, can it be reversed? Can the contract be stopped by the next Government?
    It has been signed by cabinet so I doubt it, at least not without some serious penalties I would think, I haven't seen the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

ricero wrote: »
    Jasus how do people vote for Joan Burton.

Her voice penetrates your skull like a migraine.

She looks shocking...lack of sleep. The campaign is showing on her. Surely time she retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

But it won't.

Show us your evidence?

Your putting this point across, well prove it...
    Let see shall we.
    As I said I have only heard rumours.
    But as I said already imo the technology used for parts of it are not ideal, satelite (which is improving speed wise) would have been a much better and less disruptive solution rather than the use of fibre in isolated rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

FG were very quick to point out how FF brought the country to it's knees and blew all the money etc..
    That must be why they were so careful not to overspend on any contracts.. :rolleyes:
    That really takes some doing to overspend by the amount they did.

mgn wrote: »
    FG not going to get a seat in Roscommon/Galway either.

That's more as a result of their candidate not running this time.....Hopkins could have done well but she decided not to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NCH,
    IW,
    Sitserv deal

Selling houses to vulture funds....then buying them back.
    Prefered bidder how are ya.
    You know, the lads.

Didn’t hear about them buying houses back from vulture funds.
    Would you have a link to that Matt please?

FG were very quick to point out how FF brought the country to it's knees and blew all the money etc..
    That must be why they were so careful not to overspend on any contracts.. :rolleyes:

What about the most expensive childrens hospital in the world....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

That's more as a result of their candidate not running this time.....Hopkins could have done well but she decided not to run.

Hopkins may have done well, but still couldn't see her getting elected, there is still a lot of bad blood around FG over the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Didn’t hear about them buying houses back from vulture funds.
    Would you have a link to that Matt please?

Ah for f*** sake. I'm getting Nintendo thumb...

Here....
    Government criticised for buying mortgages from vulture fund at full market value

A group representing homeless people has criticised plans for the state to pay market value for homes previously owned by Nama.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-criticised-for-buying-mortgages-from-vulture-fund-at-full-market-value-864997.html

NAMA sold them, likely at a loss. Murphy bought them back at full price market rate.
    Noonan being inappropriate up north most likely.

Ah for f*** sake. I'm getting Nintendo thumb...

Here....

NAMA sold them, likely at a loss. Murphy bought them back at full price market rate.
    Noonan being inappropriate up north most likely.

Murphy's Past coming back to him, I won't say 'haunt' him, as it's more likely he's smirking.

http://www.eoghanmurphy.ie/2010/06/02/a-day-in-the-life/
    1pm Lunch around the corner. Order the wrong thing – going to be hungry later. Have to leave lunch for ten minutes to meet two local FGers who are outside the office. We have a brief chat and arrange to talk again later. Back to lunch. Discussing rent and utilities. Figure out we’re still basically paying boom rent prices. Brilliant.
    ..Then FG took over and the rent has risen by almost 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mgn wrote: »
    Heard Ming was out canvassing with her recently, when that fool can get elected, there is hope for her.

Ming - who led the turf cutters - canvassing with a Green Party candidate!

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He likes to think he is but not quite as good as he imagines. Always good to have a block of salt to hand with Ivan's calls. Not a patch on Mike Marsh nor the late great Noel Whelan. Not too knowledgeable about Sligo myself but on numbers from the last election with FG at 27% that may not be true at all. Even on 20% that's a seat for them as they have generally been good nationally on vote management. I reckon it will come down to how they and FF do manage the votes. It will be very competitive for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

is_that_so wrote: »
    He likes to think he is but not quite as good as he imagines. Always good to have a block of salt to hand with Ivan's calls. Not a patch on Mike Marsh nor the late great Noel Whelan.

In 2016 Whelan predicted:

Fine Gael 66 seats, Fianna Fáil 35, Sinn Féin 24 and Labour 8.

the results were:
    Fine Gael 49 seats, Fianna Fáil 44 Sinn Féin 23 and Labour 7.

Don't wish to speak ill of the dead, I liked Whelan a lot, but 'great' is an over estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Here is a useful link to the manifestos of Irish political parties ahead of each general election.

http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/

It seems the meaning of a manifesto is lost on many people.

Only a party in government with an overall majority can attempt to deliver its manifesto in it’s entirety.

Labour should put that up on their website and posters. Their ex delusional supporters seem to think that they weren’t a massively junior party to fg last time and that Ireland wasn’t the one with the begging bowl out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ff are easily worse than fg. Fg have made expensive mistakes , mainly on the nch. But that is a one off project. Ff will ramp up spending on shot on a far broader scale , before it all collapses again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not too knowledgeable about Sligo myself but on numbers from the last election with FG at 27% that may not be true at all. Even on 20% that's a seat for them as they have generally been good nationally on vote management. I reckon it will come down to how they and FF do manage the votes. It will be very competitive for sure.

Yeah it'll be Harkin, MacSharry, Kenny, and the last seat will be between FG and FF2, couldn't be called with confidence at this stage.

the results were:

Don't wish to speak ill of the dead, I liked Whelan a lot, but 'great' is an over estimation.
    He was a whole lot better than Yates will ever be. My memories of him are the on the day analysis, which was always good, especially in his knowledge of local voting patterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

the results were:

He was also a FF candidate at one stage. Means by default it is impossible to class him as "great"

• Advertisement

He was a whole lot better than Yates will ever be. My memories of him are the on the day analysis, which was always good, especially in his knowledge of local voting patterns.

Is that why he called FG 66 seats and got 49?

Yates got a whole lot closer in 2016'

Fine Gael on 51 seats; Fianna Fáil on 39; Sinn Féin on 29; Labour on 7

Yates got a whole lot closer in 2016'

Fine Gael on 51 seats; Fianna Fáil on 39; Sinn Féin on 29; Labour on 7
    You seem to have missed the on the day thing. Well, I'll own up to thinking he's a complete spoofer whose ego has a whole room on its own. Never a fan of the man, especially as a TD.

easypazz wrote: »
    Is that why he called FG 66 seats and got 49?
    Hmm, on the day - analysis of the count! Garrett was very good too.

You seem to have missed the on the day thing. Well, I'll own up to thinking he's a complete spoofer whose ego has a whole room on its own. Never a fan of the man, especially as a TD.

He's as good a pundit as any.

easypazz wrote: »
    He was also a FF candidate at one stage. Means by default it is impossible to class him as "great"
    My impression of him is based on what I thought of him as a pundit not issues with a party he once tried to represent.

He's as good a pundit as any.
    I'll take your word for it. Find him utterly self-absorbed and insufferable.

Hmm, on the day - analysis of the count! Garrett was very good too.

Ok, so he is "great" for on the day predictions as the ballot boxes are open and each count is read out, narrowing the field each time.

But he is not "great" at making overall predictions the day before.
    Have you.

Michael Martin should be in education. His facility at 'revision' is unparalleled! :D
    He's on So'R at the moment.

• Advertisement

Michael Martin should be in education. His facility at 'revision' is unparalleled! :D
    He's on So'R at the moment.

Saying 'Sean' almost as much as yer wan from the swing.

Advertisement