Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Suckit wrote: »
    Saying 'Sean' almost as much as yer wan from the swing.

Hilarious. When pressed on a Coalition with SF, he kept insisting he was 'setting out FF's position clearly, as was to be expected of any sincere party' but then obfuscated, weaseled and avoided saying what their position was on the 'pension age' for what must have been 5 minutes until O'Rourke(and this listener) gave up. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I like Yates’ predictions because I’m a real nerd for the geographical breakdowns and who it can benefit/impact. I don’t take them too seriously but they are something different to listen to rather than the parties all saying the same nonsense every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Faugheen wrote: »
    I like Yates’ predictions because I’m a real nerd for the geographical breakdowns and who it can benefit/impact. I don’t take them too seriously but they are something different to listen to rather than the parties all saying the same nonsense every day.

Paddy power are probably as good as you will get, I think its about 49 FF and 43 FG.

Any "great" pollster won't go too far wrong if they steal a prediction from paddy power.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

easypazz wrote: »
    Paddy power are probably as good as you will get, I think its about 49 FF and 43 FG.

Any "great" pollster won't go too far wrong if they steal a prediction from paddy power.

In fairness to Yates, he called Boxer Moran, Gino Kenny and Mick Barry in 2016 when the bookies had them as 8th or 9th in their odds. Mick Barry in particular was given no hope by the bookies.

It’s not just the predictions he makes, it’s the reasoning behind them which is what makes it interesting. He’s clearly not just going off by odds from the bookies.

At the moment, he has Imelda Munster (1/14 with the bookies) to lose her seat in Louth in expense of a 9/4 FF candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In fairness to Yates, he called Boxer Moran, Gino Kenny and Mick Barry in 2016 when the bookies had them as 8th or 9th in their odds. Mick Barry in particular was given no hope by the bookies.

It’s not just the predictions he makes, it’s the reasoning behind them which is what makes it interesting. He’s clearly not just going off by odds from the bookies.

At the moment, he has Imelda Munster (1/14 with the bookies) to lose her seat in Louth in expense of a 9/4 FF candidate.

Yeah I remember the last election Yates seemed to have a great feel for what was going on the ground. Also is able to give insight to the listener about the reality of statements and behind the scenes stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That would be the unknown councillor James Byrne. FF have no base in the south of the constituency and he's up against herself, Nash and O'Dowd. Hard to see him doing much better than their candidate in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Yeah I remember the last election Yates seemed to have a great feel for what was going on the ground. Also is able to give insight to the listener about the reality of statements and behind the scenes stuff.

Whether people like Yeats or not he's the best for predictions come elections. His analysis in 2016 was the most accurate in fairness. His 'calling it' podcasts are worth a listen if people are interested for their constituencies...

https://www.goloudnow.com/podcasts/calling-it-540

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Michael Martin should be in education. His facility at 'revision' is unparalleled! :D
    He's on So'R at the moment.

Dad joke.
    Reported to the MODS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I watched the prime time debate lastnight and ill be honest out of the lot of them the Independent lady ( don't know her name) was strongest amongst them and seem to know her facts.

Saorise was definitely the worst of them all and it was cringe worthy television. I am surprised it hasn't been picked up more by the media.

The FG and FF candidates seemed a bit off, the FG candidate seemed to be droning on with rapid statistics but didn't get a sense that he actually emphasised with what people were saying and why they were angry. The FF candidate tried to avoid a question or two before he was pulled back. Then they both tried to have an argument.

Decent debate and was well moderated.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Calhoun wrote: »
    I watched the prime time debate lastnight and ill be honest out of the lot of them the Independent lady ( don't know her name) was strongest amongst them and seem to know her facts.

Saorise was definitely the worst of them all and it was cringe worthy television. I am surprised it hasn't been picked up more by the media.

The FG and FF candidates seemed a bit off, the FG candidate seemed to be droning on with rapid statistics but didn't get a sense that he actually emphasised with what people were saying and why they were angry. The FF candidate tried to avoid a question or two before he was pulled back. Then they both tried to have an argument.

Decent debate and was well moderated.

Marion Harkin was the independent. She's running in Sligo/Leitrim. FG wanted her to run for them but she is staying independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Has anyone seen a video of Leo answering 'questions' going around? Jesus.
    What is that supposed to achieve?? :eek:
    My mother jsut sent it to me on Whatsapp...
    Guaranteed to be bad if she is ripping the P*ss out of it.
    I don't even understand the thinking behind it if it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Ironically, Catherine Murphy was probably more communicative in five minutes with Brian Dobson, than Shortall was for the two hours on Monday.

Ironically, Catherine Murphy was probably more communicative in five minutes with Brian Dobson, than Shortall was for the two hours on Monday.

She was very good. But immediately you might realise why, when Dobson goes after RBB like a rottweiler.
    Catherine got a very easy interview.

I did.

I give up commenting on him, he seems to not want to go back. Bored maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

No,whats he saying?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    No,whats he saying?
    It's odd. He is sitting on something and he has a whiteboard with questions

(In fact everything is white bar his clothes), and there is some weird music playing. Just stupid questions "where are you from", "what do you do" :confused:
    It has to be real, but is it supposed to help him in the election?
    I will try and upload it to streamable.

Edited - I found it with a quick search
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/leo-varadkar-answers-the-most-googled-questions-about-him-1.4155092

I didn't realise it was the most searched questions about him. Still odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Those kind of videos are very common with celebrities and politicians. They were just the most googled search items of him. Not sure what the big deal is?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

Another debate on tonight (Primetime)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Another debate on tonight (Primetime)

Who’s on tonight? Is it all the left wing parties?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The country is fine.

Stop with the hyperbole.

Nowhere is some magical land of bliss and every country has problems, most worst than Ireland.

This is exactly the attitude that means we will never reach our full potential.

We know the country is not a **** heap jesus christ we are in a better position than 98% of the human race by being born here.

But my god the country is not fine ffs. Health, infrastructure, housing supply falling apart at the seams. Gross fiscal mismanagement over the years means the chickens are coming home to roost.

Whatever happened to aspiring to be the best we can be instead of just accepting mediocrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Who’s on tonight? Is it all the left wing parties?

Apologies ... think it's next Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

ChikiChiki wrote: »

We know the country is not a **** heap jesus christ we are in a better position than 98% of the human race by being born here.

But my god the country is not fine ffs. Health, infrastructure, housing supply falling apart at the seams. Gross fiscal mismanagement over the years means the chickens are coming home to roost.

Whatever happened to aspiring to be the best we can be instead of just accepting mediocrity.

Correct, we're 100 years behind where we could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Indeed the country works really well when your able bodied and don't require help but falls down greatly when it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Calhoun wrote: »
    Indeed the country works really well when your able bodied and don't require help but falls down greatly when it does.

Yep i agree. Personally I'm in a good position but I have seen too many people close to me fall through various cracks. The problems are not lost on me and I really emphatise.

Also I see things that frustrate me on a daily basis. Today's example being a young lad becoming frighteningly unwell on an overcrowded train. Commuter rail infrastructure has not increased in proportion with population increase. Failings of the state.

Can you point to any country in the world which is 100 years ahead of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The price paid for independence.

The price paid for independence.

Oh yes, because Northern Ireland scores higher than the republic on every metric. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pat Kenny mentioned this on NT radio.Boris did the same craic in the UK.first..Someone in FG thought it was a good idea for Leo to copy.On NT they played back to back clips of both leaders.It was gas.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Pat Kenny mentioned this on NT radio.Boris did the same craic in the UK.first..Someone in FG thought it was a good idea for Leo to copy.On NT they played back to back clips of both leaders.It was gas.
    I saw something in one of the online papers late last night, and they were mentioning how ridiculous it is.

When I received it, it had no text, just him sitting there with music answering irrelevant questions.

It is poor. I haven't seen the Boris one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Straight out of the Tory handbook.

Advertisement