Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Christ, that makes Leo's look even worse. And he left the sh*tty music in.
    "Where does Leo live", "Is he married".

Since he was told to stop the wasting the millions on the spin/marketing company, is he employing a cheap one, or is he having a go at it himself?
    Either way, that lad doesn't seem to have a clue how to get the publics backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

McMurphy wrote: »

Straight out of the Tory handbook.

Leo's version did not seem as bad as Boris' one in fairness.
    As Boris' version was clearly a set up to tell the electorate everything is grand Brexit will cause no problem what so ever.

Leo's one was an effort at trying to humanise him and make him seem less 'autistic' :rolleyes:

He seemed to be doing OK until he started going on about the steak....

Personally the best two google most answered questions were Jurgen Klopp and Paul McCartney.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1222450992417058817

In all likelihood Leo will probably still get elected - diversity Indian background, LGBT vote, middle Ireland vote. The fella has it all.
    On top of that he does seem a more likable person than his closest 'competitors' MM and Mary Lou. And that says more about them than it does Leo.
    There are few politicians around to match the populism 'man on the street' nature of Bertie in his pomp these days. Unless you include the independents like Michael Healy Rae.

The main parties leaders all have very little charisma. Micheal Martin looked like a shoe in for Taoiseach at one stage back when he was fresh faced and had a decent head of hair. Now he just seems like an old hurler on the ditch. I suppose he seems to me like the Junior hurler who has stayed playing too long, and he looks like his best chance of playing senior hurling are long gone.

Mary Lou suffers from a myriad of issues a southerner leading SF etc, plus she has the problem the Joan Burton used to suffer from that shrill voice when she raises the voice. Not very stateswoman like.

Howlin for labour I don't know what he does with Labour, what do they represent? Does he know what they represent? He has that look of Micheal J. Fox these days. I bet he wishes he could go back to the late 1990's before the rise of the independents and the disgruntled lefties?
    I suppose they can't do worse than the last election?
    So the only way is up?

PBP with RBB the strange mix of a plummy voiced Dub educated in a prestigious private Dublin school leading a protest Trotskyist movement.
    Playing at being anti-establishment.
    Personally I cannot take the fella seriously it is like he is 'acting' a part. It all seems like 'student union' politics to me. Fighting with SF for the unemployed vote.

The Social Democrats I don't really know what they do centre leftish. They seem earnest. But will the party be around in a few years?
    Probably will prop up a party in government and go the way of the PD's.

The Greens all seem earnest but have an urban wishy-washy middle class core about them. I would only pick them if I was really stuck for someone to give a preference to. They will mean high taxes that is for sure. Maybe they will finally get this large youth movement voting all the same?

After all the debates so far and all the FG gaffes I still feel that FG are going to be the likely in the hotseat again. Unless FF break with decades of history MM to do a u-turn and goes into bed with Mary Lou. I suppose it is alright sure FF and SF are probably like distant cousins at this stage?

FG still seem to be getting all the publicity even if it is bad Leo's drug answer, Noone's autistic comment, Leo's google answers.
    Has anything else really stood out so far from any other party?
    Good or bad?
    It has all being a bit bland. Broken promises blah, blah, blah.
    Just like Irish politics always will be safe and centrist. With the odd madser from the left or right making a bit of noise.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Leo's version did not seem as bad as Boris' one in fairness.
    As Boris' version was clearly a set up to tell the electorate everything is grand Brexit will cause no problem what so ever.

Leo's one was an effort at trying to humanise him and make him seem less 'autistic' :rolleyes:

He seemed to be doing OK until he started going on about the steak....
    At least Boris' version was informative if Biased.
    Leo's version is tripe. I haven't ever seen these type of videos, but if Politicians are going to do them, they should at least make them about something other than themselves. They're not exactly known for being the most interesting bunch.
    I also thought Leo's version, if anything, made him seem more 'autistic'.

In all likelihood Leo will probably still get elected - diversity Indian background, LGBT vote, middle Ireland vote. The fella has it all.
    On top of that he does seem a more likable person than his closest 'competitors' MM and Mary Lou. And that says more about them than it does Leo.
    There are few politicians around to match the populism 'man on the street' nature of Bertie in his pomp these days. Unless you include the independents like Michael Healy Rae.
    I would like to point out, the reasons you reckon he will get elected are also the same reasons that many would refuse to vote for him. It's 6 of one...
    As for likeability, I don't think Leo has it. He doesn't come across as likeable to me, but then, as you mentioned, either do the others really. Half a dozen of the other..

As you also mentioned, the more likeable seem to be the ones that aren't likely to get any real authority. Independents or small parties.

Suckit wrote: »
    At least Boris' version was informative if Biased.
    Leo's version is tripe. I haven't ever seen these type of videos, but if Politicians are going to do them, they should at least make them about something other than themselves. They're not exactly known for being the most interesting bunch.
    I also thought Leo's version, if anything, made him seem more 'autistic'.

Agreed that is what I thought after the steak bit. I think Leo's best tactic is to take a page from Enda's playbook. Say as little as possible and let the others talk themselves into trouble. The stuff with Leo kind of reminds me of William Hague and the baseball cap effort.

https://media.gettyimages.com/videos/william-hague-drinking-claims-wctv-lib-mat-held-at-westminster-video-id812054984

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

McMurphy wrote: »

Straight out of the Tory handbook.

I doubt Boris, or the Tories, were the first to do it either.

I don't anything wrong with it TBH.

easypazz wrote: »
    I doubt Boris, or the Tories, were the first to do it either.

I don't anything wrong with it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think there is another one on soon, isn't there?
    Just Leo and Michael again?

Think I've had enough now, don't see what they would discuss or say that they haven't done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

7-way one again on VM1 at 9.30 tonight.

7-way one again on VM1 at 9.30 tonight.

7 way or 2 way.

Can nobody in TV spot the gap in the market to have a 3 way between the big three parties?

• Advertisement

7 way or 2 way.

Can nobody in TV spot the gap in the market to have a 3 way between the big three parties?

Sinn Fein would love that to be viewed as the 'credible' alternative to Tweedledee and Tweedledum. But I cannot see it offering anything new other than being easier to manage than 7.

It would give SF a lift in status to be mentioned in the same breath as FG/FF.
    It is obvious SF are just playing the long game as those who remember the troubles die off - and the hardliner SF people with the shady pasts die off as well.
    It will be decades and decades before SF are viewed as the real alternative with the majority of the electorate as a result.

Plus FG/FF would be clever enough not to give SF a chance to be given elevated status in such a debate. As it could make them appear to be softening in thier stance with SF.

Such a debate would be interesting though as Martin would have to back FG over SF. While SF could attack both as parties of the 'establishment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

7 way or 2 way.

Its 7 way tonight and then 2 way on RTE on Tuesday which is the last TV debate before polling day. Tonights debate will have Mick Barry taking over from Richard Boyd Barret and Catherine Murphy standing in for Roisin Shorthall.
    The penultimate TV debate of the general election campaign takes place on Thursday night. Seven party leaders will go head-to-head with just nine days left until voting. Leo Varadkar, Micheál Martin, Mary Lou McDonald, Brendan Howlin, Eamon Ryan, Mick Barry and Catherine Murphy will take part in the debate on Virgin Media One at 9.30pm.

It is the last all-party debate planned with the final TV slot being a head-to-head between Taoisech Leo Varadkar and Fianna Fáil Micheál Martin next week.

Id defintely expect Ivan Yates to go for Mary Lou over the Ard Comhairle issue. Though he interviewed her in depth on Newstalk last week and she was well able for him.

Catherine Murphy needs to speak up tonight as Roisin Shortall was very quiet the other night. Michael Martin needs to land at least some blows on Leo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

7 way or 2 way.

They don't want to give any party equal status to FF/FG. It's those two or an all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Sinn Fein would love that to be viewed as the 'credible' alternative to Tweedledee and Tweedledum. But I cannot see it offering anything new other than being easier to manage than 7.

It would give SF a lift in status to be mentioned in the same breath as FG/FF.
    It is obvious SF are just playing the long game as those who remember the troubles die off - and the hardliner SF people with the shady pasts die off as well.
    It will be decades and decades before SF are viewed as the real alternative with the majority of the electorate as a result.

Plus FG/FF would be clever enough not to give SF a chance to be given elevated status in such a debate. As it could make them appear to be softening in thier stance with SF.

Such a debate would be interesting though as Martin would have to back FG over SF. While SF could attack both as parties of the 'establishment'.

It's not even the troubles that they need to get past, look at the case of Maria Cahill and how they handled that.

The legacy of that is still ongoing as she had to worry about her safety.

Until they get their ducks in a row and act like the legal system in ireland means a damn they don't deserve to be treated like they are politically credible.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/mairia-cahill-in-legal-bid-to-stop-election-candidates-being-forced-to-publish-address-38456861.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think Sinn Fein should be part of a three way debate. With over 20 seats they are not a fringe party any more. Having only FF/FG debate plays into SFs hands to establish them as a radical alternative to the status quo and serves to keep their policy proposals away from scrutiny.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I think Sinn Fein should be part of a three way debate. With over 20 seats they are not a fringe party any more.

But if you did that Labour and Sol-PBP would be clamouring to join the party, as they are near in seat totals to SF than SF are to FG or FF. And if them why not the Greens and SDs? And the whole thing becomes a chaotic shouting match...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I think Sinn Fein should be part of a three way debate. With over 20 seats they are not a fringe party any more. Having only FF/FG debate plays into SFs hands to establish them as a radical alternative to the status quo and serves to keep their policy proposals away from scrutiny.

Mary Lou is not trying to be Taoiseach. The head to heads are between to two candidates for that role. The leaders debate gives all the leaders an opportunity. If SF had put forward 70 odd candidates so that they had some prospect of leading government then she would have a case to be included. However they’re only running 42 and have no chance of being the leading party in a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Good man Ivan, straight in no bullsh*it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ivan straight in with the insults!
    Who put Tinkerbell beside Varadkar?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ivan in with the put-downs!

Matt taking no crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Matt is the worst presenter in TV and radio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ivan dialling up the showmanship tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Eamon Ryan looking increasingly dis-shevelled these day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Brendan Howlin is tiny even when he moves to the extreme left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Everyone is on their shouting game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,081 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Numerous pre 2011 elections where Labour had a >20 seat count had potential Taoiseach only debates.

This one tonight is a ****ing mess already and not everyone has spoken yet.

9 way shout down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Matt is embarrassing

Here comes Munter Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Howlin up on his tip toes :D

Advertisement