Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

1. Leo and MLM tied
    2. Brendan Howlin
    3. Eamonn Ryan
    4. Catherine Murphy
    5. Michael Martin
    6. Mick Barry

Had to have a long think about the last two...Martin really really is in trouble, his desire to lash out at SF is ruining his campaign. I could see Leo pulling this out of the fire yet.

I'd mostly agree with that, although I'd probably put Leo in front outright.

Mick Barry was atrocious compared to Boyd Barrett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Eamon Ryan is TERRIBLE.

He is reading from a page looking down ffs.

True.

He'll get a strong vote regardless I think. The Green wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Strazdas wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a surprise at all. He's been very steady in every debate.

He's the most capable leader.

Mick Barry was atrocious compared to Boyd Barrett.

Absolutely. Came across as an angry, noisey man.

It reminds me of Bertie 2007.

Leo will pull out the 3rd term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FF/FG supporters would rather a coalition between FF/FG rather than see SF in govt. It won't happen.....not of they polled 30%

Probably right. So much for 'stability'.
    Wonder why they took Fianna 'had us practically eating out of bins' Fail on....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    She's 1-18 on to top the poll in North Kildare last time I checked. FFs James Lawless her nearest rival, but still way behind.

Basically Murphy could don a pair of shades, put on some soul music and stoke up a doobie on this debate and she'd still be on a cake walk to be elected.

She is not 1/18 to top the poll, she is 1/18 to win a seat. There is a difference. Those odds are based on her perceived ability to pick up preferences. Even if she finishes fifth on first preferences, Paddy Power know she will get the seat.

She was awful for the bit I saw tonight, wonder what her odds will be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

1. Leo and MLM tied
    2. Brendan Howlin
    3. Eamonn Ryan
    4. Catherine Murphy
    5. Michael Martin
    6. Mick Barry

Had to have a long think about the last two...Martin really really is in trouble, his desire to lash out at SF is ruining his campaign. I could see Leo pulling this out of the fire yet.

I'd probably agree with that too. MM really coming off as a bit desperate and tired with all these repeated attacks towards ML and SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

MM gone from 1/9 to 1/6 with Paddy Power.

Id say he wishes the election was tomorrow.

Daddy drove a bus is not resonating with the voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Michael “I didn’t interrupt you” Martin :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,343 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Leo has generally been very composed in the debates. Not really getting involved in any slanging matches. Meehawl in comparison is coming across a bit ratty at times with his constant digs at the shinners. Mary Lou is well able for him to be fair to her.

Will it make any difference on polling day, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Naggdefy wrote: »
    It reminds me of Bertie 2007.

Leo will pull out the 3rd term.
    Can't see it myself, housing and health too big an issue and Murphy and Harris both clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Reality is FF are as bad as FG, Stockholm syndrome has well set in with the Irish public and as bad as they are people will still vote one of them in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Can't see it myself, housing and health too big an issue and Murphy and Harris both clowns.

Murphy and Harris have been disappeared the last few weeks.

SF / IRA couldnt disappear somebody as clinically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭blackcard

Leo has generally been very composed in the debates. Not really getting involved in any slanging matches. Meehawl in comparison is coming across a bit ratty at times with his constant digs at the shinners. Mary Lou is well able for him to be fair to her.

Will it make any difference on polling day, who knows?

Hard to know if anyone will change their mind, a lot of political anorak watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

Good to hear MaryLou has visited peoples' cold houses and listened to them complain, but "please give us a chance?" isn't the most convincing argument I've heard.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Good to hear MaryLou has visited peoples' cold houses and listened to them complain, but "please give us a chance?" isn't the most convincing argument I've heard.
    She's still registering positive according to the panel as opposed to MM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Well the one thing that this debate has convinced me of is that Ivan Yates is a prick.

I actually never realised till tonight how bad Ivan and matt actually are !

Alison O Connor spot on. Drug test a moderator.

Overly aggressive nobodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Ivan and Matt getting slated now. They were poor for the first 30 minutes.

Alison O Connor spot on. Drug test a moderator.

Ya. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Merciful lord. Alison O'Connor's jacket is a bit too pink for my liking.

It's overpowering with the red screen in the background & lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Fair play to Alison O'Connor for calling out the nonsense from Ivan Yates. Much respect for the fact she didn't ignore it like the rest of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Where have they hid Harris?
    If he is as good as they say why isn't he out fighting his corner?
    Probably hiding away with Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Edgware wrote: »
    Where have they hid Harris?
    If he is as good as they say why isn't he out fighting his corner?
    Probably hiding away with Murphy
    They have Catherine Noone for company now at least

Back around 1994 Ivan Yates looked like the heir apparent in FG. It all fell apart for him in business etc.

Is he back in the bookey business?

There was no major damage to LV or MM tonight and no stand out performance from the lefties. So the debate had no real impact for me.

Leo has changed over the last week.....all the criticism of his lack of humanity seems to be finally sinking in. But will people buy the new Leo?

MM wasn't good tonight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Not the consensus of the media bubble after show panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Leo won that one. Had good answers, was not afraid to admit he was wrong. Came across quite well.

Mary Lou a distant second. Was caught out again by the banks even though it was fact checked and it came back as a false claim. Wasn't pulled by Yates or Cooper on the houses costing 130,000 ?

MM I don't know what he is trying but it isn't working. Now a reminder ever now and then about SF/IRA role in the North is welcome, he didn't have much else. Should have went into more depth about National Treatment Purchase Plan and the results it delivered pre crash.

Howlin still haven't forgiven him for the first debate and his rambling rant stopped a good debate between the three above.

Barry ? NO SQUARE ENVELOPES FOR ME, UNLESS THERE MADE BY A STATE RUN COMPANY, APPROVED BY A WORKERS COUNCIL AMD FREE FOR EVERYONE.

RYAN Yes did well but everybody else is on the environment hype train at this stage.

SHORTHALL- Did well but needs more policy that's not already taken by the big three

Advertisement