Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Three problem with this is that paying more tax does not get any better services.
    It only gets higher paid pubic servants.

What evidence do you have for this quip?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What evidence do you have for this quip?

Annual health spending went up from just under 5bn 20 years ago to 15bn 4 years ago.
    We must all be getting 3 times sicker and I certainly don't think we have 3 times less hospital trolleys in 2000.

Bertie handed out pubic money to placate the pubic service unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ever been to Ballymena?
    I am from about 25 minutes away from ballymena...can confirm!
    It does have an excellent tk Maxx though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Three problem with this is that paying more tax does not get any better services.

There’s an impression that Labour always cave into the unions when they get into Government. Some of that is true, but it’s been FF led governments who have repeatedly tried to buy elections by opening the public purse so the unions can fumble in the greasy till. Bertie and his collective bargaining won him an election but at enormous long term cost to the economy.

So I found it a bit rich of Martin to accuse MLM and SF of populism when his own bunch wrote the book and hold most of the professorships in the area. That’s why they’ve bankrupted the country twice.

I’m obviously biased, but I’ve always believed that a FG and Labour government is the optimal one this country can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

gmisk wrote: »
    I am from about 25 minutes away from ballymena...can confirm!
    It does have an excellent tk Maxx though :)

Yeh, but is it a Catholic TK Maxx or a Proddie one? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ya, Howlin did well. Telling people they can’t have both large tax cuts and better services is the truth, but lots of the electorate seem to think you can do both. His honesty mightn’t translate to votes.

Who is promising 'large' tax cuts going into this election?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who is promising 'large' tax cuts going into this election?:confused:

Fianna Fail are promising to slash CGT, one of the few taxes on the rich, on landlords and on passive income.

Sinn Fein and the PBP are promising to abolish the LPT, one of the few other taxes on landlords and property owners (the homeless and renters don't pay this tax).

All parties are promising in various ways to cut USC, probably the most equitable tax in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeh, but is it a Catholic TK Maxx or a Proddie one? :)
    Now that's the real question!
    I am not sure what the difference would be...the Catholic one might sell more religious statues and a proddie one might sell more flegs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm only catching up now... The tabloid introduction from Cooper and Ivan is poor, the interruptions from them is juvenile (MM calling them out early on it). Hope it gets better than this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'd love to see Gavin O'Reilly permanently replace Matt & Ivan. Tonight really showed up how bad they are.

I like Yates tbh, like his no nonsense attitude when he's interviewing folk, but his style didn't suit moderating a leaders debate.

Don't listen to cooper on the radio, and don't rate him on the tonight show either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

McMurphy wrote: »
    I like Yates tbh, like his no nonsense attitude when he's interviewing folk, but his style didn't suit moderating a leaders debate.

Don't listen to cooper on the radio, and don't rate him on the tonight show either.

Yeats is an absolute bellend. A failed politician. A failed businessman, and a coward. A bitter and twisted failure who ran away from his debts and burned people he owed money to.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

I like Cooper and Yates but yeah they should have toned it down a bit at the beginning, it got a bit better as it went on, look im sure they wont go in like that again.
    Whatever you think of him and he does try to create controversy but I do believe that Ivan does get genuinely annoyed and loses the plot as he was a politician before and knows the amount of bull that they can spin, he just needs to calm that down, it does him well sometimes but as we seen last night it can go very much against him.

Yeats is an absolute bellend. A failed politician. A failed businessman, and a coward. A bitter and twisted failure who ran away from his debts and burned people he owed money to.

Thanks for your fantastic analysis of something that is completely irrelevant.

I said I enjoyed his interview style, I know he's a failed politician and business man, but we're not discussing that, are we? We are discussing his performance on the televised debate, of which is the subject of this thread - keep up Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Thanks for your fantastic analysis of something that is completely irrelevant.

I said I enjoyed his interview style, I know he's a failed politician and business man, but we're not discussing that, are we? We are discussing his performance on the televised debate, of which is the subject of this thread - keep up Paddy.

It's very relevant. I know you're not a big picture kinda guy - but the fact that someone of Yeats' ilk is the one blustering is very relevant. It shows his hypocrisy.

It's very relevant. I know you're not a big picture kinda guy - but the fact that someone of Yeats' ilk is the one blustering is very relevant. It shows his hypocrisy.

Has he hidden his past? I think he has talked about it extensively actually.

I don't know where the 'hypocrisy' accusation is coming from tbh.

He's of FG stock ain't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yates is highly entertaining and for the most part makes a half-decent effort at impartiality. However, his clear resentment for Enda Kenny's relative success as a politician compared to his failure comes shining through too often especially when dealing with what he sees as Kenny's protegees such as Varadkar. It comes across as bitter and jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I shifted his niece once.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought Yates was very poor last night.
    I take politics seriously and didn't like his shock jock approach.

Having said that I'm not sure how he was a failed politician.
    He was 20 years a TD being returned at every election from 1981 to 2001 until he retired.
    He was quite a good Minister for Agriculture.

Sure he didn't make the leadership but that is hardly failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Edgware wrote: »
    Where have they hid Harris?
    If he is as good as they say why isn't he out fighting his corner?
    Probably hiding away with Murphy

hqdefault.jpg

Charlie, Eoghan and Simon. Which one is in charge though?

• Advertisement

And that's why FF/FG are the safer bet?

There’s an impression that Labour always cave into the unions when they get into Government. Some of that is true, but it’s been FF led governments who have repeatedly tried to buy elections by opening the public purse so the unions can fumble in the greasy till. Bertie and his collective bargaining won him an election but at enormous long term cost to the economy.

So I found it a bit rich of Martin to accuse MLM and SF of populism when his own bunch wrote the book and hold most of the professorships in the area. That’s why they’ve bankrupted the country twice.

I’m obviously biased, but I’ve always believed that a FG and Labour government is the optimal one this country can have.

FF are good enough for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Did he also steal your girlfriend when you were 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Sounds like Mick Wallace to me. Both right wingers posing as left wing sympathisers. Obvious plants with an agenda to feather their own nests. If Wallace had his way we'd be waving Union Jacks around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

100% always was a grade A tosser , went to wales to hide when his business went to the wall , came back as arrogant as ever shouting his mouth off

he cant be much of a business man if he failed as a bookmaker for Christ sake :rolleyes:

Granny15 wrote: »
    Sounds like Mick Wallace to me. Both right wingers posing as left wing sympathisers. Obvious plants with an agenda to feather their own nests. If Wallace had his way we'd be waving Union Jacks around Dublin.

I would have assessed them as two very different characters.

Whats the Union Jack crack about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

elperello wrote: »
    I would have assessed them as two very different characters.

Whats the Union Jack crack about?

as in the irish nigel farage , wanting us to leave the EU next

I thought his position was that of an EU critic rather than an EU sceptic.

As for the Union Jacks I just can't see him in that connection.

He's pro EU but like many wants reforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Advertisement