Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Latest poll shows a further slide for FG and SF in second - 3% error of margin - Times/Panelbase - 13% undecided

FF 23
    SF 21
    FG 19
    Green 10
    Lab 5
    SD 5
    SPBP 5
    Rest 12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Might show how little these debates matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Latest poll shows a further slide for FG and SF in second - 3% error of margin - Times/Panelbase - 13% undecided

FF 23
    SF 21
    FG 19
    Green 10
    Lab 5
    SD 5
    SPBP 5
    Rest 12

FG on 19%? Which poll is this?Great start to the weekend if true.

Edit, found it.

https://www.thejournal.ie/opinion-poll-9-4988666-Feb2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

FG on 19%? Which poll is this?Great start to the weekend if true.

Edit, found it.

https://www.thejournal.ie/opinion-poll-9-4988666-Feb2020/

How is it great?

Do you consider FF a cool alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

easypazz wrote: »
    How is it great?

Do you consider FF a cool alternative?

Nope , but nine years of the present government party is enough. Change is needed. Arrogance has set in with FG as it always does.

• Advertisement

I'm happy because the combined FG/FF share is at 42% in that.
    I want them permanently sliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭robwen

Is it true this poll was all done online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

robwen wrote: »

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Where does it say it was online?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Two parties leading the polls. One swore never to go into Leinster House and the other swore never to go into Leinster House or Stormont. We really deserve what we are going to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭robwen

McMurphy wrote: »
    Where does it say it was online?

Heard it mentioned on radio earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edgware wrote: »
    Two parties leading the polls. One swore never to go into Leinster House and the other swore never to go into Leinster House or Stormont. We really deserve what we are going to get

Is it evolution in politics or evolution in general you fear?

Ridiculous post. You want people to change or evolve but when they do it is something to ridicule or fear. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Heard it mentioned on radio earlier

Shinnerbots were obviously out in force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Shinnerbots were obviously out in force.

I think the tide is turning in favour of SF. Since Thursday night I'm finding people saying they're going to vote SF in unusual places.

Athletics training people of age 30-50 Thursday eve. Didn't mind their support so much. Hurling training for children yesterday evening. A different demographic, lots of farmers who said they'd vote SF to as they were the only party who said they'd break the beef cartel.

Now back from children's rugby training, different group as well. A lot strong SF, want change really, a good few critical of Harris and Murphy. Also Noone came up, people feeling she was smug and condescending, practically every family has a member with some 'condition'.

Most are over the SF/IRA connection. Know FG and FF supporters did terrible things 1923-24 and Cumann na nGaedhael were in government from 1922 and FF from 1932. That stick used to beat SF is going.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I think the tide is turning in favour of SF. Since Thursday night I'm finding people saying they're going to vote SF in unusual places.

Athletics training people of age 30-50 Thursday eve. Didn't mind their support so much. Hurling training for children yesterday evening. A different demographic, lots of farmers who said they'd vote SF to as they were the only party who said they'd break the beef cartel.

Now back from children's rugby training, different group as well. A lot strong SF, want change really, a good few critical of Harris and Murphy. Also Noone came up, people feeling she was smug and condescending, practically every family has a member with some 'condition'.

Most are over the SF/IRA connection. Know FG and FF supporters did terrible things 1923-24 and Cumann na nGaedhael were in government from 1922 and FF from 1932. That stick used to beat SF is going.

Yes it seems they have momentum in alot of the general population who haven't really looked in depth, aren't really engaged in politics and have decided it's anyone but FFFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Getting morning coffee on wednesday morning, there are a few people I recognise and they usually have some light conversation to engage in. One of them (at a guess late 60's) is heavily involved in the local cricket club, and he declared that he's sick of the same two, He is voting SF.
    That was a bit of a surprise to hear him saying that. Then the others proceeded to agree that SF would be getting at least one of their preferences, if not first.
    It was an eye opener mainly because of who some of them are and what other groups or committees some of them are involved in.
    That was before the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Yes it seems they have momentum in alot of the general population who haven't really looked in depth, aren't really engaged in politics and have decided it's anyone but FFFG.

No. They are getting support from traditional FF/FG supporters. Educated, politically savy. And comments like yours 'we know best' are condescending to people who are every bit as intelligent as you purport to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

No. They are getting support from traditional FF/FG supporters. Educated, politically savy. And comments like yours 'we know best' are condescending to people who are every bit as intelligent as you purport to be.

Correct. No more speaking down to us and telling us what's best. The electorate will make their decision on previous performances or failures to be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A good enough reason to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The debates have been useless and the only reason I watch them is to see someone being called out live on air.
    In Louth the choice of candidate is putrid. I have driven from Dublin on occasions to vote but the choice is so poor this time that I might not even bother voting at all and that’s coming from someone who who has always voted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The debates have been useless and the only reason I watch them is to see someone being called out live on air.
    In Louth the choice of candidate is putrid. I have driven from Dublin on occasions to vote but the choice is so poor this time that I might not even bother voting at all and that’s coming from someone who who has always voted.

I appreciate the honesty! very briefly, what would a party that you would be happy to vote for, actually look like? I get called out for berating FG and will probably vote for them. At least I have a position! I get attacked for it, for what? let me guess, your party (they wont even reveal who they will vote for) is great and will solve irelands woes? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you are right with how hopeless the situation is though, i disconnected the doorbell, to stop myself being harassed with idiots, with no real world experience, offering nothing different and actually if we wanted to go beyond scratching the topic on any issue here, dont have a clue. in fact many cant even get beyond the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

McMurphy wrote: »
    He's of FG stock ain't he?

There must have been some incident with FG that has embittered IY -because on the radio show he attacks everything they say or do with an almost irrational venom -the sniping and sneering is incessant. It's above and beyond the normal run of critique and I can only conclude it's motivated by some personal animus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

By any chance did Sinn Fein say how they would break the beef cartel?

Athletics training, hurling training, rugby training all talking about politics?
    Do you really think we believe that ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Edgware wrote: »
    By any chance did Sinn Fein say how they would break the beef cartel?

Athletics training, hurling training, rugby training all talking about politics?
    Do you really think we believe that ****e

I'd be interested to know how they will break the beef cartel aswell. They wanted a land tax on farmers not too long ago

Wasn't meant to be condescending, I would count myself as those not engaged.

Education and political savvy aren't connected. I can only count from my own experiences where the main reason people are voting SF is they aren't the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Wow...squeaky bum time for FF/FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Irish people never learn and it looks to me like they are about to push the self destruct button once again.

At the time of the economic collapse I thought this is the moment things change forever.

If that trauma did not shake up and remould the electorate then nothing will.

Hopeless.

And let's not start on the prospect of SF topping the poll.

Looks like we are headed for a s*** show here either way.

Advertisement