Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The Irish people never learn and it looks to me like they are about to push the self destruct button once again.

At the time of the economic collapse I thought this is the moment things change forever.

If that trauma did not shake up and remould the electorate then nothing will.

Hopeless.

And let's not start on the prospect of SF topping the poll.

Looks like we are headed for a s*** show here either way.

You attach no blame to the incumbent government?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

FG had a clear road to do things differently in 2011 and blew it. Added too it in this government and the birds are now coming home to roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

charlie14 wrote: »
    FG had a clear road to do things differently in 2011 and blew it. Added too it in this government and the birds are now coming home to roost.
    Yep I remember, new politics an end to quangos, report card for ministers etc etc but as soon as asses on ministerial seats business as usual nothing changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's easier to denigrate the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Irish people never learn

"fool me once, more fool you...."

Not sure it goes up to 8 or 19 times..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Suckit wrote: »
    "fool me once, more fool you...."

Not sure it goes up to 8 or 19 times..
    It's A or not A!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The Irish people never learn and it looks to me like they are about to push the self destruct button once again.

At the time of the economic collapse I thought this is the moment things change forever.

Hopeless.

The spoof about the 10,000 homeless rammed down our throats every day by the left wing media for the last 3 years has finally fooled people.

An onslaught day after day about the poor vulnerable in hotels.

If people only realised what types are actually in this 10,000 they would change their tune.

Anyway it is what it is and let's see if the next government can provide free homes for all these spongers whilst keeping the books balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The spoof about the 10,000 homeless rammed down our throats every day by the left wing media for the last 3 years has finally fooled people.

If people only realised what types are actually in this 10,000 they would change their rune.

Anyway it is what it is and let's see if the next government can provide free homes for all these spongers whilst keeping the books balanced.

Funny thing was how we turned allot of the actual measures to improve the situation against the government at the time.

Remember the furor over the modular homes, even though they can be built to a passive standard and last for a long time, Or Aodhan O'Riordan championing pushing the government back on sites that they didn't approve for them.

No point calling it a crisis if you let Nimbyism get in the way. Additionally the political will is lacking because for the most part the 10K are homeless but in short term accommodation, rather than living on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If people only realised what types are actually in this 10,000 they would change their tune.

I'm not sure that homelessness has that power as an issue or that the media has oversold it.

I think it's a conglomeration of a lot of issues.

As you say all those "types" will have to live somewhere no matter who gets in.

They can't stay in hotels forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

The majority of that 10,000 don’t vote I’d say. The real housing issue is the rent issue, cost and availability. Most of us had to rent at one time, wouldn’t like to a be student now or parent of one.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    The majority of that 10,000 don’t vote I’d say. The real housing issue is the rent issue, cost and availability. Most of us had to rent at one time, wouldn’t like to a be student now or parent of one.

Students can rent a room in a house for 400 a month.

Like it's always been.

This generation want everything right now and have left wing parties championing them on.

All the rewards with little work.

The country is heading down the rabbit hole once again.

As if any party can build 100,000 social houses in 5 years.

Why do we swallow such nonsense?

I'm actually happy FF/SF will get in, just to see the disappointment of the scumbag free house brigade when they realise they actually wont be getting a free house.

Should have tried harder in school.

You cannot seem to make up your mind if there are actually 10,000 homeless or not. :confused:

You cannot seem to make up your mind if there are actually 10,000 homeless or not. :confused:

Oh there isn't 10,000 homeless.

Don't get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Like it's always been.

This generation want everything right now and have left wing parties championing them on.

I'm actually happy FF/SF will get in, just to see the disappointment of the scumbag free house brigade when they realise they actually wont be getting a free house.

Have a quick look on daft in Dublin in a half handy location see what 400 euro gets you...
    There is also an insane amount of competition for anything vaguely decent and cheap.
    You would be lucky to get a decent shared room with a complete stranger for that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FG have only themselves to blame.
    They promised reform but things have not changed. The man who gets up early in the morning to go to work has now turned on Leo. That man is not happy and has been let down.
    FG gorged at the trough just like FF did before them. There was a pattern for years of Zig and then Zag. Everyone can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Like it's always been.

A dirthole 1 bed in my town Ennis is on market for 800 a month, god knows what it’s like in Dublin. A room in a house was max 150 a month when I was in college even allowing for inflation that’s a shocking rise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hopeless.

It’s fascinating And I won’t be surprised if they sink the country again if ff sf get In. But if they do go into government I bloody hope sf in particular do solve the problems. I’m sure we all do. I don’t care what party would solve them , if one did. It will answer the question and settle debate once and for all though. If they get in , it’s money where mouth is time. I’ll sit back with the popcorn.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s like Brexit though , that a ff sf government, will actually stop investment and cause a lot of the population to adopt more cautious spending , which can become a self fulfilling prophecy ...

Oh there isn't 10,000 homeless.

Don't get confused.

Not in the slightest bit confused about that 10,000 but you appear to be.

First there isn`t 10,000 and then if we only knew what types are among that 10,000. :confused:

Don't forgot a third or FG TDs are landlords....they don't want to bring in rent freezes!
    4 of them in cabinet and 5 ministers of state.

gmisk wrote: »
    Don't forgot a third or FG TDs are landlords....they don't want to bring in rent freezes!

They don’t need to be landlords to want rising prices. They want them as homeowners too and they are virtually all homeowners

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They don’t need to be landlords to want rising prices. They want them as homeowners too and they are virtually all homeowners
    Oh totally agree.
    I was more using that as an example as poster was talking about landlords.

Not in the slightest bit confused about that 10,000 but you appear to be.

First there isn`t 10,000 and then if we only knew what types are among that 10,000. :confused:

So called homeless i should have said.

Sorry my bad

Yeah more landlords are exiting the market than ever before.

More tin foilhat nonsense.

When did we become so gullible.

Yeah more landlords are exiting the market than ever before.

More tin foilhat nonsense.

When did we become so gullible.
    What the heck are you on about?! Tinfoil hats?!
    Anything to back up that claim? Nope.
    Any reply to the 400 euro for a room in Dublin BS? Nope.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-landlords-have-multiple-properties-897316.html

This article from 2019 clearly states number of landlords increasing and the number of landlords with multiple properties increasing.

Oh totally agree.
    I was more using that as an example as poster was talking about landlords.

Yeah I get that. Typically on rte you will hear people say “ X people in the dail are like landlords “ the problem is , we have a lot of people in the dail , that are not landlords. Wanting rising prices ...

What the heck are you on about?! Tinfoil hats?!
    Anything to back up that claim? Nope.
    Any reply to the 400 euro for a room in Dublin BS? Nope.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-landlords-have-multiple-properties-897316.html

This article from 2019 clearly states number of landlords increasing and the number of landlords with multiple properties increasing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/small-private-landlords-are-quitting-in-their-droves-says-seller-of-glenageary-house-1.4089315%3fmode=amp

Eat ****.

Eat ****?!? Absolutely lovely, have some manners.
    That response is laughable, one unnamed person moaning is not evidence, Jesus Christ lol. That is a seriously embarrassing response, no actual evidence or proof whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Eat ****?!? Have some manners.
    That response is laughable, one person moaning is not evidence, Jesus Christ lol. That is a seriously embarrassing response, no actual evidence or proof whatsoever.

It's behind the paywall, but is it one of those 'pretend to be journalism but is really a property advertisement' pieces from the Property Pages too? :)

It's behind the paywall, but is it one of those 'pretend to be journalism but is really a property advertisement' pieces from the Property Pages too? :)
    It's literally one unnamed person moaning about not being able to hike up the rent, then an ad to purchase said property at the end! absolutely zero evidence whatsoever where as I provided an actual article with statistics to back up what I am saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement