Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

gmisk wrote: »
    What the heck are you on about?! Tinfoil hats?!
    Anything to back up that claim? Nope.
    Any reply to the 400 euro for a room in Dublin BS? Nope.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-landlords-have-multiple-properties-897316.html

This article from 2019 clearly states number of landlords increasing and the number of landlords with multiple properties increasing.

Very good reason for this, the myhome.ie reports over the past year indicate that the small landlords are abusing the rent pressure zones and increasing the rental income YoY by 8% compared to the vulture funds which are careful not to overly piss off the public.

Some really good analysis in the free reports on myhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

charlie14 wrote: »
    Your proof is one anonymous landlord. :D
    It's a cast iron response! I feel so foolish.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Should third-placed Leo be allowed into the debate now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It does pose somewhat of a conundrum for RTE but I'm sure they'll find a way out . Although SF may lament only running 42 candidates. They targeted opposition only .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

It goes to show how badly organised these debates are, fair play to the shinners for throwing the spanner in the works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It does pose somewhat of a conundrum for RTE but I'm sure they'll find a way out . Although SF may lament only running 42 candidates. They targeted opposition only .

Leo recently have them a ten million bailout. They’d give him air time , if he was a bum on the street !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Students can rent a room in a house for 400 a month.

Like it's always been.

You wouldnt even get a bed in a room for 400 a month these days

https://twitter.com/DubRentWatch/status/1220163718752817152

https://twitter.com/DubRentWatch/status/1221535655215407105

https://twitter.com/DubRentWatch/status/1219364776217849856

Have some friends with two kids about 2 years away from going to college and they are absolutely sh1tting what it is going to cost them. They reckon they are looking at 100,000 just for rent alone over the 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Muahahaha wrote: »

Have some friends with two kids about 2 years away from going to college and they are absolutely sh1tting what it is going to cost them. They reckon they are looking at 100,000 just for rent alone over the 4 years.

Not to worry. Leo's solution is to borrow it from the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have 2 at college at the moment and I can tell you this, if you have young children and things don't change...start saving now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mind telling us what it is costing you Francie? One of my mates confided that if their eldest kid doesnt get a place in his preference universities in Dublin there will be a silver lining in that at least the rent in other cities will be cheaper. Its a shocking state of affairs for parents who just want to give their kids the best chance possible.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not to worry. Leo's solution is to borrow it from the parents.

Yeah and not to worry. Aren’t they getting rich” on paper” on the family home. Study abroad

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah and not to worry. Aren’t they getting rich” on paper” on the family home. Study abroad

You left our the bit that says " we have 20000 people on trolleys but luckily for us we are still the 4th best in Europe".. Well done leo....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mind telling us what it is costing you Francie? One of my mates confided that if their eldest kid doesnt get a place in his preference universities in Dublin there will be a silver lining in that at least the rent in other cities will be cheaper. Its a shocking state of affairs for parents who just want to give their kids the best chance possible.

My partner would have the exact figure, but one is in an IT and the other is doing a trade qualification, between them fees are coming in around 5000 for the year, one can live at home so rent for the other is 450 a month and then there is a host of other costs for trips, equipment and books, travel and laptops etc. Not to mention the never ending living expenses. Neither qualify for grant aid and neither are in Dublin. Thankfully both have weekend jobs which fills the pocket money demands a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It looks like the under 30's maybe 35's are no longer held captive by their family allegiance to a political party as though they were a football team the family needs to support.
    They are now free to vote for whomever they wish, whether they understand politics or not.
    Anybody but FF/FG are the most attractve to them.
    This can only be a good thing.
    They are looking at ridiculous house prices, ridiculous rental prices and not-really-an-option health insurance being an option on top of that, should they be unlucky enough to find themselves in need of hospital treatment. As if they weren't already unlucky enough.
    FF and FG have had almost a hundred years to show us what they can do. That is more than enough time to at least get decent health care.
    I can see the point of anyone wanting to vote for anybody else, but can't find myself agreeing with anybody that would vote for either of those parties.
    When you have the likes of Eoghan Murphy and Simon Harris doing a terrible job, and the rest of the country watching the probability that they will get in again even after infuriating people enough, that they themselves decide to complain about the people being annoyed enough to dare approach them and annoying THEM!... FFS. What do they expect?

/Rant

You left our the bit that says " we have 20000 people on trolleys but luckily for us we are still the 4th best in Europe".. Well done leo....

4th best at having people on trolleys lol.

Calhoun wrote: »
    4th best at having people on trolleys lol.

Statistically of course.. Some of those people might die in the process of counting them :rolleyes:

Statistically of course.. Some of those people might die in the process of counting them :rolleyes:

simon-harris-smug.jpg Statistics :P

Calhoun wrote: »
    simon-harris-smug.jpg Statistics :P

Shouldn't be funny... But absolutely hilarious 🀣🀣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Edgware wrote: »
    By any chance did Sinn Fein say how they would break the beef cartel?

Athletics training, hurling training, rugby training all talking about politics?
    Do you really think we believe that ****e

It's fairly common to take children to various sports/activities. You sound a bit clueless. There's also handball, swimming, Gaelic football.

I'll tell you something else for nothing.. when the kids are playing/training adults talk on the sidelines.

I don't know where you're from but we're pretty sociable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is absolutely fantastic. I hope FG get absolutely crushed on polling day. Their entire election strategy has been "we're sh*t but have you considered the other options might be sh*tter? Now check out this video with irritating free stock music."

• Advertisement

simon-harris-smug.jpg Let the peasants have free water! Quite!

Suckit wrote: »
    It looks like the under 30's maybe 35's are no longer held captive by their family allegiance to a political party as though they were a football team the family needs to support.
    They are now free to vote for whomever they wish, whether they understand politics or not.
    Anybody but FF/FG are the most attractve to them.
    This can only be a good thing.
    They are looking at ridiculous house prices, ridiculous rental prices and not-really-an-option health insurance being an option on top of that, should they be unlucky enough to find themselves in need of hospital treatment. As if they weren't already unlucky enough.
    FF and FG have had almost a hundred years to show us what they can do. That is more than enough time to at least get decent health care.
    I can see the point of anyone wanting to vote for anybody else, but can't find myself agreeing with anybody that would vote for either of those parties.
    When you have the likes of Eoghan Murphy and Simon Harris doing a terrible job, and the rest of the country watching the probability that they will get in again even after infuriating people enough, that they themselves decide to complain about the people being annoyed enough to dare approach them and annoying THEM!... FFS. What do they expect?

/Rant

Good post. And a bit of me thinks , well after what has happened now , they’ll pull up their socks etc. this is a warning shot. They’ll think twice about not delivering again, but if ff are ahead of fg now in polls after destroying the place not long ago. Letting them off with a warning isn’t enough, it is time for a lesson. They must be scared ****less that the marriage of convenience might be interrupted. Probably scared ****less that a new party comes in and actually gets things done !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Naggdefy wrote: »
    It's fairly common to take children to various sports/activities. You sound a bit clueless. There's also handball, swimming, Gaelic football.

I'll tell you something else for nothing.. when the kids are playing/training adults talk on the sidelines.

I don't know where you're from but we're pretty sociable.
    Did you take a poll of everyone there or just the few you spoke to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Idbatterim wrote: »
    simon-harris-smug.jpg Let the peasants have free water! Quite!

Any chance of more of that free cheese they were giving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What the heck are you on about?! Tinfoil hats?!
    Anything to back up that claim? Nope.
    Any reply to the 400 euro for a room in Dublin BS? Nope.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-landlords-have-multiple-properties-897316.html

This article from 2019 clearly states number of landlords increasing and the number of landlords with multiple properties increasing.

https://michelleburke.ie/landlords-leaving-market-in-droves/

Your article is based on 2018.

And this article states the opposite.

Who do we believe?

https://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/dublin/dublin-8/

Oh and here's us a room for 400 a month.

That was the first site I checked, straightway 400 a month.

I know you'll just come back with ah yeah but something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://michelleburke.ie/landlords-leaving-market-in-droves/

Your article is based on 2018.

And this article states the opposite.

Who do we believe?

https://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/dublin/dublin-8/

Oh and here's us a room for 400 a month.

That was the first site I checked, straightway 400 a month.

I know you'll just come back with ah yeah but something something.
    Are you finished telling people to eat s##t?

That "article" is from an auctioneer and letting agents website and doesnt actually link into an article to back up what it is saying.

What are your feelings now on the other "article" you posted?

That is a shared bloody room with two single beds....did you actually look at the advert?! So 800 euro for a room...unless you want to share a ROOM with a complete stranger for the bargain price of 400 euro a month...

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Are you finished telling people to eat s##t?

That "article" is from an auctioneer and letting agents website and doesnt actually link into an article to back up what it is saying.

What are your feelings now on the other "article" you posted?

That is a shared bloody room with two single beds....did you actually look at the advert?! So 800 euro for a room...unless you want to share a ROOM with a complete stranger for the bargain price of 400 euro a month...

I'm on my phone so I can't link, but Google the RTB annual report for 2018. Page 15 has the figures on tenancy registrations .

From 2016 to 2018 the number of private rented tenancies dropped from just under 320,000 to 307,000.

The total number of tenancies increased but those increases are skewed by registrations of Approved Housing Body tenancies, which only became a requirement in 2016. Remove those AHB tenancies and the 320k to 307k drop makes sense.

Number of landlords reduced marginally from 175k to 173k, but again those numbers are skewed by AHBs now being counted, as well as new investor funds in that period.

The figures demonstrate that private landlords are leaving the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yurt! wrote: »
    This is absolutely fantastic. I hope FG get absolutely crushed on polling day. Their entire election strategy has been "we're sh*t but have you considered the other options might be sh*tter? Now check out this video with irritating free stock music."

Pretty much this tbh.

Millions spent on the spin unit to make them more appealing to the unwashed.

It's exactly like all the money they spent on Irish water consultants, it goes to show they have absolutely zero concept about what constitutes value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder do these debates change anyones mind at all on who they are voting for, all it seems to be is a few politicians shouting at each other and making promises we know won't be kept.

It would be good if there was a third party option but SF just won't get the number of seats needed even if they have a good election and they lean too far to the left for me.

Having said that I think Pearse Doherty and Mary Lou are very capable politicians but the rest of them are just wafflers like the hard left.

Advertisement