Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

gmisk wrote: »
    Are you finished telling people to eat s##t?

That "article" is from an auctioneer and letting agents website and doesnt actually link into an article to back up what it is saying.

What are your feelings now on the other "article" you posted?

That is a shared bloody room with two single beds....did you actually look at the advert?! So 800 euro for a room...unless you want to share a ROOM with a complete stranger for the bargain price of 400 euro a month...

Ah jaysus will you calm down I had a few on me, jesus noone was hurt, sensitive souls around here.

Its says in the article it was from a Irish Times survey.

As I said you're just gonna come back and argue with whatever I put up.

You're right and I'm wrong, happy?

Did you go further down the link and see the room for 450?

Course you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

wowy wrote: »
    I'm on my phone so I can't link, but Google the RTB annual report for 2018. Page 15 has the figures on tenancy registrations .

From 2016 to 2018 the number of private rented tenancies dropped from just under 320,000 to 307,000.

The total number of tenancies increased but those increases are skewed by registrations of Approved Housing Body tenancies, which only became a requirement in 2016. Remove those AHB tenancies and the 320k to 307k drop makes sense.

Number of landlords reduced marginally from 175k to 173k, but again those numbers are skewed by AHBs now being counted, as well as new investor funds in that period.

The figures demonstrate that private landlords are leaving the sector.

Cant be dealing with facts around here.

Everyone knows landlords are leaving the sector in droves but the poster is stubbornly refusing to listen, hands over the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Shinners on the charge!
    People waking up the the bull**** FF & FG have been serving up for a century, Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

As I posted on another thread:

"Change".
    That is what we want.
    Totally fed up with the usual horrendous representation and incompetent governing of our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Kivaro wrote: »
    As I posted on another thread:

"Change".
    That is what we want.
    Totally fed up with the usual horrendous representation and incompetent governing of our country.

Who are "we"

Lots of people need to be careful what they wish for here.

Sinn Fein, if they got their way, are capable of implementing off the wall policies which could pull the rug from under the feet of a lot of people who voted for them.

Things are not bad for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Edgware wrote: »
    Did you take a poll of everyone there or just the few you spoke to?

When you speak to 7 or 8 from differing backgrounds on a few evenings I think you're allowed speculate on an online forum.

Amazing the angst an observation from a random person is causing you. Really funny actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Shinners on the charge!
    People waking up the the bull**** FF & FG have been serving up for a century, Brilliant

Fresh bull**** from SF seems to be the roast of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

easypazz wrote: »
    Who are "we"

Sinn Fein, if they got their way, are capable of implementing off the wall policies which could pull the rug from under the feet of a lot of people who voted for them.

I don’t think they can implement off the wall stuff. They need ff or fg to prop them up. Europe also vet our budgets. Like Brexit though , if they get in , it could cause people to hold off or cancel investment. Consumers spending may tighten. Look at this stage , I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe giving sf a run , is a better option than a hundred years of ffg failure and if we don’t give it to them now. Can anyone else even countenance the notion of another five years of ffg doing nothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

So, with timing being everything, what day should we expect to be reading the latest bombshell that will undoubtedly drop about SF? :rolleyes:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I don’t think they can implement off the wall stuff. They need ff or fg to prop them up. Europe also vet our budgets. Like Brexit though , if they get in , it could cause people to hold off or cancel investment. Consumers spending may tighten. Look at this stage , I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe giving sf a run , is a better option than a hundred years of ffg failure and if we don’t give it to them now. Can anyone else even countenance the notion of another five years of ffg doing nothing ?

Have we not one of the strongest economies in europe?

Yes high rents are an issue, but these things are cyclical too.

Health is not as bad as people make out either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Suckit wrote: »
    So, with timing being everything, what day should we expect to be reading the latest bombshell that will undoubtedly drop about SF? :rolleyes:

Tuesday probably, maybe Wednesday. It won’t be unique to target SF though. FF and FG would love to target each other with something juicy and follow up with “we’re the only ones to keep SF down”. Similar to Labour late in 2011 scaring people about an FG majority and got a massive boost.

And SF are well capable of it too. See the brown envelope/Twitter debacle from the previous presidential election.

We have one of the worst access to health in Europe if not the worst, and a growing population.
    As for the cyclical rents, they haven't gone downwards in over 20 years except maybe for a few that were too high even for the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Any day now, it has to be done so it's not forgotten about before the election by something they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Calhoun wrote: »
    Any day now, it has to be done so it's not forgotten about before the election by something they did.

It's been ongoing since the election was called FFS.

It's not working though if the polls are any indicator of what's to come.

Just watching the 1300 news and leo Varadkar is gurning back at me from the TV yet again attacking Sinn Fein.

The penny just isn't dropping with them at all, adopt a new strategy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Cant be dealing with facts around here.

Everyone knows landlords are leaving the sector in droves but the poster is stubbornly refusing to listen, hands over the ears.

Oh good, another 'poor ickle buy-to-let landlords' wheeze. Buy to let landlords don't build housing units, never have, never will.

It's a spiv sector of the economy and should not be encouraged

housing is the most urgent for me, because they could actually have done and be doing far more . Health is way more complicated. dublin infrastructure is a bloody disgrace! Law and order? Nothing but prison spaces will solve that and they are all lying if they think more gardai will do much, its far better for optics though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You speak of high rents being cyclical (hint: they're actually not) as if it's like changing of the seasons or turning of the earth, as opposed to being intimately related to poor policy.

Health is as bad as people are making out. The returns we get for the sheer monetary input (besides the private insurance outlay that many of us have) is actually shocking.

yes we do have a strong economy, for all the good it does! It that stage, varadkar can forget that sound bite, its the weak society that we have, thats why they are hammoraging votes now!

Look, you may adopt the FG are best of a bad lot, hell I toy with the idea. But if you are caught up in the dublin housing shambles, its gone on too long, too much talk from FG. Out of desperation, I think many are turning to SF and I am not talking about the "4eva homes" wasters...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

McMurphy wrote: »
    It's been ongoing since the election was called FFS.

It's not working though if the polls are any indicator of what's to come.

Just watching the 1300 news and leo Varadkar is gurning back at me from the TV yet again attacking Sinn Fein.

The penny just isn't dropping with them at all, adopt a new strategy lads.

Yah but I'm expecting something bigger and not from a party. Could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Who are "we"

I dislike Sinn Fein. I see them more of a social-welfare and open-border party than anything else.

But the way I see it is that they will either destroy the economy with Venezuelan-type policies (within the confines allowed by the EU), which would then finally require a reboot of the country to give us a better Ireland v2, or they may actually indeed initiate change and give the people who work or contribute to society the services and infrastructure that we deserve. Either way, it will be CHANGE and we will not have the same FFG lies, corruption and cronyism that we have been forced to endure for many decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

One million people would disagree with you
    The acute hospital system across the country is crumbling, hospital consultants have claimed at their annual conference.

The Irish Hospital Consultants Association (IHCA) meeting heard on Saturday that there were over one million people on waiting lists and even straightforward new services could not be opened fully due to shortages of doctors.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/more-than-one-million-people-on-hospital-waiting-lists-say-consultants-1.4026227

Muahahaha wrote: »

I was on the waiting list, my doctor said go public, non urgent, dont waste money on private.

Took about 2 years to be sorted, but it was never a problem during this time.

Just because people are on waiting lists does not automatically mean its an urgent issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mary Lou invited to the main debate.
    Miriam O Callaghan desperately looking for the Jean Mcconville file

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Also a "smaller parties debate" on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Be interesting for the viewers to have two parties represented instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mary Lou being at the debate tomorrow makes for an interesting proposition. Theres a real sense in this election that large numbers of voters are just sick of FF & FG and are willing to give SF a chance. Would imagine that Michael Martin and Leo are going to attack her throughout the night. Theres an inherent danger there that they could come off from it being seen to gang up on her which could backfire. Also the IRA is bound to come up but theres a sense that many voters are sick of Northern Ireland point scoring and want to know about the future direction of the Republic rather than hearing parties bickering about the past.

You'd also have to remember back to the debate in the UK a few years back where the Tories and Labour allowed the Lib Dems to debate for the first time. Nick Clegg was placed standing in between David Cameron and Gordon Brown and he spent much of the debate looking straight down the tv cameras talking direct to the public. Afterwards everyone agreed Clegg had won the debate and the Lib Dems got a huge bounce. FF and FG wont want the same scenarion to be happening with Mary Lou and SF.

Should be comical

Mary Lou will no doubt have some sort of punchline

"Which one of you boys is going to get into the sack with me"

Huge momentum with the shinners now.

Should be funny with both leaders now having said that they wouldn't form a coalition with them.
    It's a bit sh*t the way RTE only wanted the two leaders of FF/FG though, no wonder any other parties find it hard to gain ground.
    I can't wait to see how Leo fairs, as his party currently are the ones that stand to lose most. IMHO, Fine Gael are only a party people turn to when FF mess up. But on the whole, they are mostly disliked. Their arrogance helps people remember that.
    SF could now be the party people turn to when FF mess up and things need a shaking up, and possibly more than that.

Should be funny with both leaders now having said that they wouldn't form a coalition with them.
    It's a bit sh*t the way RTE only wanted the two leaders of FF/FG though, no wonder any other parties find it hard to gain ground.
    I can't wait to see how Leo fairs, as his party currently are the ones that stand to lose most. IMHO, Fine Gael are only a party people turn to when FF mess up. But on the whole, they are mostly disliked. Their arrogance helps people remember that.
    SF could now be the party people turn to when FF mess up and things need a shaking up, and possibly more than that.

I wonder will FG be happy to concede defeat after saturday and let FF and SF get into bed together, and just hope it all implodes for FF/SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder will FG be happy to concede defeat after saturday and let FF and SF get into bed together, and just hope it all implodes for FF/SF

My money is on this outcome at 12/1, and it's gone in to 9/2.

Advertisement