Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

easypazz wrote: »
    I wonder will FG be happy to concede defeat after saturday and let FF and SF get into bed together, and just hope it all implodes for FF/SF

I think it's more likely SF won't go in with a Martin led FF. Depending on final seat numbers they will force FF & FG to talk coalition.
    Even a FF led Confidence and Supply arrangement with FG would be good for SF. It's the perfect long game for them I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just saw a commentator on RTE news say 'It won't be two middle class, middle aged, white males in front of us...' or words to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

just saw a commentator on RTE news say 'It won't be two middle class, middle aged, white males in front of us...' or words to that effect.

Indeed. Looks now like it's gonna be three middle class, middle aged, whites in front of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Edgware wrote: »
    Mary Lou invited to the main debate.
    Miriam O Callaghan desperately looking for the Jean Mcconville file

Miriam is hardly an honest broker, Micky the misogynist will have back up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Indeed. Looks now like it's gonna be three middle class, middle aged, whites in front of us.

More pink, watery tea and tango shaded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I think it's more likely SF won't go in with a Martin led FF. Depending on final seat numbers they will force FF & FG to talk coalition.
    Even a FF led Confidence and Supply arrangement with FG would be good for SF. It's the perfect long game for them I'd imagine.

Hopefully SF will falter in the coming days.....
    Actually, now the MLMc is taking part in the TV debate I'm hoping the two leaders will both take aim at her and take her down a peg or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

41,50 and 59 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Hopefully SF will falter in the coming days.....
    Actually, now the MLMc is taking part in the TV debate I'm hoping the two leaders will both take aim at her and take her down a peg or two.

No chance, the momentum is with them, put them into government, see how that goes.

I wonder will Leo change his tune tomorrow night and say he will go into government with SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mary Lou being at the debate tomorrow makes for an interesting proposition. Theres a real sense in this election that large numbers of voters are just sick of FF & FG and are willing to give SF a chance. Would imagine that Michael Martin and Leo are going to attack her throughout the night. Theres an inherent danger there that they could come off from it being seen to gang up on her which could backfire. Also the IRA is bound to come up but theres a sense that many voters are sick of Northern Ireland point scoring and want to know about the future direction of the Republic rather than hearing parties bickering about the past.

You'd also have to remember back to the debate in the UK a few years back where the Tories and Labour allowed the Lib Dems to debate for the first time. Nick Clegg was placed standing in between David Cameron and Gordon Brown and he spent much of the debate looking straight down the tv cameras talking direct to the public. Afterwards everyone agreed Clegg had won the debate and the Lib Dems got a huge bounce. FF and FG wont want the same scenarion to be happening with Mary Lou and SF.

LibDems lost 5 seats in 2010!
    TV debates this side of the pond (from the US) do feck all in changing any substantive number of minds.

easypazz wrote: »
    No chance, the momentum is with them, put them into government, see how that goes.

I wonder will Leo change his tune tomorrow night and say he will go into government with SF.

Pah, what rubbish, not a chance!
    Sinn Fein are toxic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

is_that_so wrote: »
    41,50 and 59 respectively.

12 St. 14 St. 16 St. respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Pah, what rubbish, not a chance!
    Sinn Fein are toxic.

FF/SF are the bookies favourites at the moment.

is oul Leo not getting any diversity points at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Tomorrow night will be really interesting. MM and Leo have to hit the right tone with their criticism of SF. If skilfully done they can set SF back, if they're over aggressive the opposite could be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Tomorrow night will be really interesting. MM and Leo have to hit the right tone with their criticism of SF. If skilfully done they can set SF back, if they're over aggressive the opposite could be the case.

I think Leo did that well in the previous 2 debates, stating that it's only a policy issue that means they wont go into coalition. Need a shower after that.

MM on the other hand becomes a bumbling mess

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

is oul Leo not getting any diversity points at all?

Careful now, boards mods don't like that filthy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

MLD doing well here on rte one against a clearly bias Brian Dobson.

Mushy wrote: »
    I think Leo did that well in the previous 2 debates, stating that it's only a policy issue that means they wont go into coalition. Need a shower after that.

MM on the other hand becomes a bumbling mess

But Leo's had no effect on halting SF in the polls? MM has been consistent in saying he won't go into government with SF. No real effect either.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I wonder will Micheal do his Chinaman impression to convince us of his adroit international business relations skills?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsgU0Hj-pA
    :D:D

ricero wrote: »

Dobbo gave Leo the easiest interview so far.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »

Jesus, he's not holding back, is he?

Naggdefy wrote: »
    But Leo's had no effect on halting SF in the polls? MM has been consistent in saying he won't go into government with SF. No real effect either.

Yeah it all gets lost in the shouting of the debate as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jesus, he's not holding back, is he?

He is downright rude to Mary Lou . How is she keeping her cool at his interrupting every sentence she utters

Appearance shouldn't be an issue.

But those side shots of MLM.. she should be on Operation Transformation! Incase anyone thinks I'm sexist we have plenty of males who could be on it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

She held her own and no gaffes.
    Steady as she goes Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I counted two questions from Dobson about actual SF policies in the election in half an hour and one of those was tied to the north.
    The rest...

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Steady as she goes Mary.

No gaffes? Saying the vacant property tax will go from 880k to 107m by increasing the rate from 7% to 15% shows its cuckoo land figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Typical attack on Sinn Fein by the state broadcaster. They are worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Steady as she goes Mary.

Although I don't agree with many SF policies and won't be voting for them, i have to say I really think Mary Lou has been very impressive durinv this election. Much less reactionary than Leo or Michael. Can see how her performances could secure more support for SF

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He is downright rude to Mary Lou . How is she keeping her cool at his interrupting every sentence she utters

She needs to be rattled so that her mask slips.
    Pin her down on economic detail and hopefully she will burst.

Advertisement