Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

She needs to be rattled so that her mask slips.
    Pin her down on economic detail and hopefully she will burst.
    think it would take a lot more than someone like dobo to rattle mary lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

She needs to be rattled so that her mask slips.

Well she wasn’t rattled at his absolute bias and rudeness .

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Everyone and their granny have been attacking SF's supposed lack of economic detail for years now and they haven't burst. It's getting stale.

It's actually quite funny considering what FF did in Celtic Tiger era.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Interesting opening, a family looking for justice because their son was killed by the IRA and a SF representative seems to be excusing it because he was caught up in criminality.

It's not exactly policy discussion but an important discussion point as it hints at SF being ok with the law been taken into people's own hands.

Could be argued that it would be a jump to conclusions but based on prior form id say an accurate reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He is downright rude to Mary Lou . How is she keeping her cool at his interrupting every sentence she utters
    You must realise. These interviews aren't about the politicians. The R.T.E. Interviewer just wants to make a name and try and get a "Pee Flynn" moment for Reeling in the Years.
    Yes ask a tough question but F.F.S. let the person answer. We want to hear answers behind the one line promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well she wasn’t rattled at his absolute bias and rudeness .

The twitteratti are not happy at what is being perceived as an unfair and rude interview in comparison with Leo and MM.

Take a look at these search results: https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Brian%20Dobson%22&s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

ricero wrote: »
    Typical attack on Sinn Fein by the state broadcaster. They are worried.

Is there any reason why S.F. Shouldn't get a tough interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mary Lou should pull out of the debate tomorrow. They will all try to absolutely ruin her and SF and I would say that is the only motive. Alarm bells are ringing in Montrose and Govt buildings.

**** them. RTÉ only invites her when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

McMurphy wrote: »
    The twitteratti are not happy at what is being perceived as an unfair and rude interview in comparison with Leo and MM.

Take a look at these search results: https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Brian%20Dobson%22&s=09

Thanks for the link . I am not Mary lou biggest fan but that interview was disgraceful .

Edgware wrote: »

Absolutely not. But Dobbo was p1ss weak on Leo. So there should be a balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Thanks for the link . I am not Mary lou biggest fan but that interview was disgraceful .

Well she's always dishing it out, so it's payback time :)

Edgware wrote: »

Exactly, they should be hard on them all though but i can understand why it was more pointed with SF because of all the extra stuff they bring with them.

Any leader looking to be elected should be able to answer the hard as well as soft and she has done that. They have probably helped her more than damaged her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Might not even be an election now after that independent candidate passed away in Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Mary Lou should pull out of the debate tomorrow. They will all try to absolutely ruin her and SF and I would say that is the only motive. Alarm bells are ringing in Montrose and Govt buildings.

**** them. RTÉ only invites her when it suits them.

And if they didn't invite her people would be whinging as well, don't worry about Mary Lou she is a seasoned debater who is well able to fight her corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mary Lou had a desperate performance, embarrassing intact

Anyone complaining about interviewing style watch the other interviews.

Dobson went hard on all

Mary Lou was sunk tonight

leahyl wrote: »
    Might not even be an election now after that independent candidate passed away in Tipperary

They are going to have it in a week or so in that constituency I think, it will drag out the final result but I'd say unless the number are very tight we will have a rough idea who the largest party is this day week.

Tomorrow night's Prime Time debate should prove interesting. She will do well. It will be 3 against 1. She will be well able to handle herself up against Meehawl and leo. And if the attack comes on too strong it will be perceived as bullying and she will reap extra sympathy vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They are going to have it in a week or so in that constituency I think, it will drag out the final result but I'd say unless the number are very tight we will have a rough idea who the largest party is this day week.

Mattie McGrath said he’s getting legal advice to try to stop the postponement of it and if that doesn’t work he’s going to the courts to seek to delay the whole election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tomorrow night's Prime Time debate should prove interesting. She will do well. It will be 3 against 1. She will be well able to handle herself up against Meehawl and leo. And if the attack comes on too strong it will be perceived as bullying and she will reap extra sympathy vote.

Did you watch that Interview?

We shall see how it goes , i dont think its a 3 v 1 scenario as FG and FF have to fight each other also.

Just like with the four way in the north west, the person with the more credible and reasoned answers will come out winning.

Playing the poor mouth going into it and also predicting and calling for bullying does it a disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mattie McGrath said he’s getting legal advice to try to stop the postponement of it and if that doesn’t work he’s going to the courts to seek to delay the whole election.

He has a point.

RIP to the candidate.

Can't see them canceling the election just a few days out from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I counted two questions from Dobson about actual SF policies in the election in half an hour and one of those was tied to the north.
    The rest...

Felt the same, like there are actual questions to be asked about SF economic policy and what they would do if in power. I would have liked to have heard Dobbo drilling down in to their promise to abolish the USC and property tax. But we didnt get to learn about any of that because Dobbo was more interested in the IRA.

Anyway tonight at 9.30pm sees Claire Bynre host the climate change debate. Not sure if it is all their party leaders or their green reps or who is on it. Eamon Ryan certain to be there looking as smug as ever. He needs to wipe that grin off his face because so far he has had a terrible campaign and this supposed green wave doesnt look like materialising at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Did you watch that Interview?

What interview was that?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭wetlandsboy

A car crash interview! Dobbo absolutely flushed her out. It’ll be hard for SF to recover from this.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/election-2020-bryan-dobson-interviews.../SI0000006729?epguid=IH000390799

Player for each of the interviews, i havent watched the other two so i will to give an idea of it.

For Mary Lou:

Part 1:

Start:

Did not like the start of the Mary Lou one, the whole SF members getting caught up in a criminals murder, if they want to let the police forces deal with it exclusively they should not be going anywhere near the IRA asking questions about involvement ect.

The special criminal court topic:

Would not answer if we should get rid of it and if its not working other than saying we should look at all our laws. No definitive answer on it or a stance which she backed up.

Tax cuts:

Closing tax regime loopholes, banks paying tax, 5% tax increase on higher income earnings, vacant site levy increased to 15%. Disappointed not to see a widening of the taxbase for lower income earners and as much as she said things were costed she didnt seem to know the numbers on the vacant site levy.

A car crash interview! Dobbo absolutely flushed her out. It’ll be hard for SF to recover from this.

Taste of things to come. She needs to withdraw before the RTE/FG/FF machine eats her up tomorrow. Luckily not many people have seen the 6-1 interview to make a dent.

Also there is absolutely no need to cancel the Tipp election ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mary Lou had a desperate performance, embarrassing intact

Anyone complaining about interviewing style watch the other interviews.

Dobson went hard on all

Mary Lou was sunk tonight

She was brutal. Folded like cheap tinfoil on anything remotely proping. Refused to back the SCC and the facade collapsed from there. Shinnerbots in full meltdown mode on social media so we know for sure she was outed finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Taste of things to come. She needs to withdraw before the RTE/FG/FF machine eats her up tomorrow.

Also there is absolutely no need to cancel the Tipp election ffs.

Why should she withdraw? She spent the last three weeks playing the victim about not being invited.

• Advertisement

Because they are setting it up to crucify Sinn Féin since they are doing so well in the polls. If they were invited a week ago I wouldn't have thought as much but seems that were invited after a RTÉ steering crisis meeting.

Also one of the parties involved has a major conflict of interest via Miriam and Jim O'Callaghan.

Not a SF supporter and they won't be getting my number 1 but I can see it for what it is.

Advertisement