Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I find it hilarious when SF supporters rant about RTÉ bias and conveniently forget RTÉ prime time does shows every week slating FG about counclilors taking bribes or the NCH overspend etc or the "homeless" crisis.

They really have the poor me victim mentality.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Because they are setting it up to crucify Sinn Féin since they are doing so well in the polls. If they were invited a week ago I wouldn't have thought as much but seems that were invited after a RTÉ steering crisis meeting.

Also one of the parties involved has a major conflict of interest via Miriam and Jim O'Callaghan.

Ah give it over if SF are so confident of their policies and convinced they are right and have nothing to feel guilty about then why are you and their supporters so afraid of hard questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Because they are setting it up to crucify Sinn Féin since they are doing so well in the polls. If they were invited a week ago I wouldn't have thought as much but seems that were invited after a RTÉ steering crisis meeting.

Also one of the parties involved has a major conflict of interest via Miriam and Jim O'Callaghan.

They’re doing their job and rightly scrutinising SF policy and record. Long live our free democracy and press- evidently SF have a major issue with both abd want everything in their terms solely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ah give it over if SF are so confident of their policies and convinced they are right and have nothing to feel guilty about then why are you and their supporters so afraid of hard questions?

Not a supporter but why were they or other fringe parties not asked in the first place?
    Because RTE want to keep it a two party country.

It was nothing but undemocratic. Soc Dems get my number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭maccored

road_high wrote: »
    She was brutal. Folded like cheap tinfoil on anything remotely proping. Refused to back the SCC and the facade collapsed from there. Shinnerbots in full meltdown mode on social media so we know for sure she was outed finally!

do these shinnerbots fly around in your imagination or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

They’re doing their job and rightly scrutinising SF policy and record. Long live our free democracy and press- evidently SF have a major issue with both abd want everything in their terms solely

You could say the same for FF and FG. All policy is under scrutiny. I don't see this as a level playing field and a panic last minute invitation based on polling data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

All Dobson did was push her on her own manifesto?
    She had no answer.

SF have a troubled past, and have party members currently, in 2020, calling mothers of murdered people and saying the deceased was a criminal and that’s why he was killed! So yes of course it’s relevant.
    This is a party that want to lead Ireland. If a member of Ff/Fg did the same thing do people honestly think it would never be mentioned? It would be main headline news, everywhere.

Some in Sf will be fearing tomorrow night after that, because she had zero answers when actually pushed.

Just fluff and bluster, as SF have always been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

leahyl wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath said he’s getting legal advice to try to stop the postponement of it and if that doesn’t work he’s going to the courts to seek to delay the whole election.

People on the islands vote in advance and their ballots are held securely and opened on the day.

In theory if FF and FG get the same number of seats then the Tipp vote would be crucial.

Perhaps all the other votes should be held securely until the Tipp ballot is held.

Common sense should prevail here and the polling office staff could put a sticker across each ballot paper as they are being handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Free press?are you having a laugh?or state broadcaster had to have a shadowy steering committee meeting in light of public backlash.not only that but the main executive deciding this is related to the party in power.trump would blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Part 2 (had to put a child to bed):

Tax cuts continued:

Big gotcha on the levy is that allot of the land is held by local councils. So are we raising income by charging our own councils? Will scrap the local property tax which will be very popular, probably see it being replaced with a system like rates which are up the north which goes to local property rather than central pot. Pension age being reduced to 65 is an interesting one, as it seems to contradict conventional thinking around aging populations. Made a great point about plugging the hole by solving the demographic issue caused by lack of service which has people questioning when to start families.

Record in the North:

Calling our performance in the North and how in the UK the health service in the North is the worst. She basically pushed back saying it was the Tories fault, i think this was a bit of a fudge as particularly in the past two years the lack of government has definitely impacted.

Border Poll:

Pushing for future governments to start planning for the eventuality which i think is fair but there is a 12B subvention needs to be plugged, no real answer for where it will be plugged. She also made a very good point on the EU being used like they were with the German reunification.

Who runs Sinn Fein?:

Used example of cash for ash and SF minister for finance asking for permission from an individual (Ted Howell) article on the issue. Very weak answer from Mary Lou who tried to deflect, wouldnt really answer it and turned it into a look at FF/FG. Apparently it doesn't matter though as housing, health ect are what should be discussed which i think is a cop out.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/row-over-mystery-sf-power-broker-o-muilleoir-went-cap-in-hand-to-37452179.html

Bullying:

Very strong response from Mary Lou on this one, was open on what has been done and what has not been done.

Seamus Mallon Honor:

Shows a level of vindictiveness from SF members and this is where the mask does slip that they would by against an honor for someone who was a proponent against political violence. Kinda similar to how they tried to blacken the name of Brian Stack in recent years.

Overall it was a hard interview but i can see why DOB asked the questions he did as he was trying to give a wider glimpse of who SF are outside of the current issues in the country that are dominating the election. While they have no prior experience in the South they do in the North and that should be reviewed as well as the baggage they are carrying related to political violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I find it hilarious when SF supporters rant about RTÉ bias and conveniently forget RTÉ prime time does shows every week slating FG about counclilors taking bribes or the NCH overspend etc or the "homeless" crisis.

They really have the poor me victim mentality.

So the criticism of the sitting government isn't warranted?

So the criticism of the sitting government isn't warranted?

Of course it is.

But why do Sinn Féin supporters think RTÉ won't ever criticise FG when the evidence is there to see they do every week.

Poor victim mentality as if everyone is out to get them.

I would also say the whole argument of them not keeping things to the economy ECT is ridiculous as they do have questions to answer on their behavior up the north.

If there is a real possibility of a shadow council being puppet master then questions should be asked. SF should be well able to answer questions on why certain actions happened that should not have (Howell case).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Mary Lou will want to be ready for the ambush Tomorrow night from RTÉ/black and tans/westbrit/d4 ****.

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Mary Lou will want to be ready for the ambush Tomorrow night from RTÉ/black and tans/westbrit/d4 ****.

She should round up a few examples and take the knees off them a show of strength ahead of the election. Maybe put a bullet in a few more and burry them on beaches and in bogs without telling people where they are.

That would show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Gangland Shootings thread (AKA how to ruin a thread)
    >

Calhoun wrote: »
    She should round up a few examples and take the knees off them a show of strength ahead of the election. Maybe put a bullet in a few more and burry them on beaches and in bogs without telling people where they are.

That would show them.

Or she could do it FG style and get Tusla to do a fake paedo file on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

But why do Sinn Féin supporters think RTÉ won't ever criticise FG

What SF supporters are saying that on here?
    They do criticise FG...what they attempted here was to censor SF...FG and RTE have track records on this.

Suckit wrote: »
    Gangland Shootings thread (AKA how to ruin a thread)
    >

Calling people you don't like names (Tan's, Westbrit's, D4 ****) (AKA how to ruin a thread)
    >

smurgen wrote: »
    Or she could do if FG style and get Tusla to do a fake paedo file on them.

That's not physical violence which is the preferred style.

• Advertisement

That's not physical violence which is the preferred style.

It could lead to self inflicted violence.kinda like what the garda commissioner and certain fg folk were hoping for with McCabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A car crash interview! Dobbo absolutely flushed her out. It’ll be hard for SF to recover from this.

Absolutely, he totally nailed her, giving her very little time to waffle her way out of answering his questions. God knows she really tried to duck & dive but he closed her down and she floundered

Tax & spending; she waffled on without enough detail, then she fell apart on the land revenue question. More waffle on pensions, then she really got cornered on the question of one of her TDs getting permission from an unelected character in the background.

Did you hear the Seams Mallon snub too?

Constantly trying to waffle, but Bryan kept shutting her down and there was nothing of substance there apart from waffle.

Behind the facade she's a lightweight, it's all bluster and flowerey language. Mary Lou is like the Wizard of Oz, when the curtain is pulled back and the Wizard isn't really a wizard at all, and without being able to waffle she has very little to offer in reality

The way Bryan stopped her gabbing really showed us that she's very shallow, full of bluster and not much else.

Well done Dobbo for uncovering a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SF tops according to latest poll.
    You just gotta love momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Irish TimesMRBI poll as leaked on Twitter showing Sinn Fein in the lead

Sinn Féin 25
    Fianna Fáil 23
    Fine Gael 20
    Greens 8
    Labour 4

1200 people, margin of error 2.5%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I counted two questions from Dobson about actual SF policies in the election in half an hour and one of those was tied to the north.
    The rest...

You should have been paying more attention then

Special criminal court

Raising of taxes and spending plans

Ireland unification Referendum

Pension and retirement age

Health

Advisors in government

Coalition options

These were all covered by Dobson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I would also say the whole argument of them not keeping things to the economy ECT is ridiculous as they do have questions to answer on their behavior up the north.

Economy ECT?! Electro Convulsive Therapy for the economy is radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Calling people you don't like names (Tan's, Westbrit's, D4 ****) (AKA how to ruin a thread)
    >

Was referring to that one. You hadn't posted when I started typing. But both could count seeing as you played along.

I am looking forward to tomorrow night. No idea what way it will go.

Mary Lou could come out singing

I think it will start ok, then the inevitable pick on SF, then one of them will suddenly turn on the other and the fight begins.. :D
    Bring back Celebrity Deathmatch..

smurgen wrote: »
    It could lead to self inflicted violence.kinda like what the garda commissioner and certain fg folk were hoping for with McCabe.

Yah but that gives him too much options , they don't be torns in your side when you use the bog.

Of course it is.

But why do Sinn Féin supporters think RTÉ won't ever criticise FG when the evidence is there to see they do every week.

Poor victim mentality as if everyone is out to get them.

I know Dobbo is biased.

• Advertisement

Yah but that gives him too much options , they don't be torns in your side when you use the bog.

Making excuses for incompetence and corruption to get a dig in, nice. ;)

Advertisement