Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

It wasn't as if it was a five minute Claire Byrne soliloquy. It was her throwing some chum into the water and Chambers taking the bait in a manner that made him look an utter fool. A simple clarification to dismiss the premise of the question would have sufficed instead of rambling on ad nauseam and making allusions to media bias that made him look like a complete crank.

He made his point of view.....It was Claire who won't let it go. He then asked her why time was being wasted on the issue.

Rewatch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I quoted the wrong post or got in after an edit.
    However, you'll note criticism of the governing party on policies generally leads to that because of the lack of defences. See all the SF threads and zero talking up FG? Also you might note most of the SF criticism is troubles/IRA based. That's why they don't tend to pick on the Greens or Labour or SD's as much. Obviously not FF, them being pals n' all.

The posts I was responding to was more tongue in cheek answer to a poster devolving to mudslinging. Only way to hash these stuff out is if we are mature about it.

I don't particularly like the government but I feel SF should at least have answers for some of the harder questions on the troubles/IRA links especially some of the questions that Dobson was asking. They also have to control their members or remove them when they wade into those area, its only two years ago we have a SF senator retweeting a post calling a murdered prison officer a sadist.

They don't pick on the greens as its not politically savvy to do so but they misjudged as they had though the SF popularity or protest vote had gone to them.

Labour they are careful because they could end up needing them and FF you would wonder what they have on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rewatch it!

Oh jesus NO! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

He made his point of view.....It was Claire who won't let it go. He then asked her why time was being wasted on the issue.

Rewatch it!

Ah I think once was enough. I'll keep my eyes peeled for his next TV appearance though, hopefully that will be as unintentionally amusing as his last.

gmisk wrote: »
    I think he was in some of the debates from what I remember, he still has same massive eyebrows but a new hairdo...some bravado and horrible attitude
    https://twitter.com/Roscomman/status/1224464198530478085?s=09

Nice bit of Americanised politics right their, I suppose it trends well with the twitter crowd.

• Advertisement

2.5k comments on RTE's post of the interview with Mary Lou and 99% of them that I read are criticising a bullying and aggressive Dobson.

I missed it live, must have been some car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Everyone is in this climate change together, well sort of, depends on whether you work or not.
    If you work and own you own house, get it retrofitted and pay for it yourself, otherwise you will be taxed to death on the fuel you use.
    If own a car and can't afford to buy an electric one, more taxes for you.
    If you don't work, you get your house retrofitted for nothing and a free bus pass to get you around.

2.5k comments on RTE's post of the interview with Mary Lou and 99% of them that I read are criticising a bullying and aggressive Dobson.

I missed it live, must have been some car crash.

Wasn't that bad, he asked some decent questions just didn't limit it to the southern economy but also the North and asked questions about SF ministers in the North seemingly reporting to an outsider.

However it seems to be hard line taken than the other leaders, I haven't watched the others yet though.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Wasn't that bad, he asked some decent questions just didn't limit it to the southern economy but also the North and asked questions about SF ministers in the North seemingly reporting to an outsider.

However it seems to be hard line taken than the other leaders, I haven't watched the others yet though.

I didn't set anytime aside for it because the others were so soft.

He set off a lot of anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Highlight of the night was the Greta 2.0 girl with the most cringe piece of TV I'll watch this year.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    Everyone is in this climate change together, well sort of, depends on whether you work or not.
    If you work and own you own house, get it retrofitted and pay for it yourself, otherwise you will be taxed to death on the fuel you use.
    If you don't work, you get your house retrofitted for nothing and a free bus pass to get you around.

Yup this is the exact logic that gets the greens into trouble. Something they have tried too get away with early on in the election campaign as Ryan did an interview with the independent claiming they wouldn't tax the **** out of people.

Eoin O'Broin actually made the super relevant point if you only talk about climate change in taxes the argument centres around who looses out which essentially reduces your ability to make real change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

people had absolutely no problem spending a fortune on new or newer diesel cars and losing thousands in depreciation and loan interest, to save a pittance in motor tax mostly. The claim they cant pay more, is a lie. If you can take FIFTY percent off the working poor, then I am sure everyone can pay some extra pittance a week! When they gave them all a fiver a week increase on welfare, people said it was an insult, well if a fiver is nothing, I am they have less than that to spare, for the good of this planet! That humans are rapidly destroying!

I didn't set anytime aside for it because the others were so soft.

He set off a lot of anger.

I linked the player earlier which has it, I have to watch them now. Incredibly stupid if he went super soft on the others but hard on her.

It is like the green issues and RTE, it seems so manipulative and playing the public off like stupid people that drives people mad.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    people had absolutely no problem spending a fortune on new or newer diesel cars and losing thousands in depreciation and loan interest, to save a pittance in motor tax mostly. The claim they cant pay more, is a lie. If you can take FIFTY percent off the working poor, then I am sure everyone can pay some extra pittance a week! When they gave them all a fiver a week increase on welfare, people said it was an insult, well if a fiver is nothing, I am they have less than that to spare, for the good of this planet! That humans are rapidly destroying!

Get a grip, it's not this country that's destroying the planet, have a look at a map sometime, we are only a dot on it.

Get a grip, it's not this country that's destroying the planet, have a look at a map sometime, we are only a dot on it.

that is not the point, in terms of global warming maybe. Local air quality here in certain areas is appalling. What do you expect when you have disgusting diesels destroying the place? go and walk or cycle in dublin! Luckily not everywhere is backwards, germany and now some uk citites outside london are starting diesel bans in the centres...

do you think denmark and the other nordic countries accept your attitude towards the environment? sure arent they a global irrelevance too?

look at the litter everywhere here, the illegal dumping. the beaches after good weather. Around mcdonalds drive thrus etc, we are a nation of pigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

that is not the point, in terms of global warming maybe. Local air quality here in certain areas is appalling. What do you expect when you have disgusting diesels destroying the place? go and walk or cycle in dublin! Luckily not everywhere is backwards, germany and now some uk citites outside london are starting diesel bans in the centres...

do you think denmark and the other nordic countries accept your attitude towards the environment? sure arent they a global irrelevance too?

look at the litter everywhere here, the illegal dumping. the beaches after good weather. Around mcdonalds drive thrus etc, we are a nation of pigs!

The diesels are on the roads due to govt policy. Again we won't change our behaviour unless we are made to. The next govt will have to make huge changes....incentives for people to change. Just ban plastic FFS, offer big grants to retrofit....etc.

It will be like the smoking ban......big issue and lots of unhappy people....then people just got used of it....now it's the norm.

You think the air is bad in dublin, have a look at China where the have to wear masks that pollution is so bad, and the have so many cars that the can only use them every second day depending on the car number plate. Everyone keeps pointing out to the nordic countries while conveniently leaving out the big polluters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

You think the air is bad in dublin, have a look at China where the have to wear masks that pollution is so bad, and the have so many cars that the can only use them every second day depending on the car number plate. Everyone keeps pointing out to the nordic countries while conveniently leaving out the big polluters

100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Highlight of the night was the Greta 2.0 girl with the most cringe piece of TV I'll watch this year.

I was just waiting for her to come out and cry that we have stolen her childhood :rolleyes:
    I linked the player earlier which has it, I have to watch them now. Incredibly stupid if he went super soft on the others but hard on her.

It is like the green issues and RTE, it seems so manipulative and playing the public off like stupid people that drives people mad.

Ive seen all the Dobbo interviews. From memory the ones with Leo and Catherine Murphy were particularly soft. He gave Michael Martin a rough ride at times. But one thing was consistent with the rest of them in that the candidates were allowed to answer their questions without immediate interruption. His interview with Mary Lou was a different proposition, she barely had half a sentence out of her mouth and he fired out the next question. It was a pointless interview, learnt absolutely nothing of importance about their manifesto and policies.

you are right, only 1180 premature deaths related to air pollution here last year...

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/southside/articles/2020/01/20/4184582-concerns-raised-over-air-quality-affected-by-cars-on-the-school-run/

keep on paying a fortune for the stuff that really matters though, E100 month on tv broadband, expensive smart phone contract, and all the other essential areas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The posts I was responding to was more tongue in cheek answer to a poster devolving to mudslinging. Only way to hash these stuff out is if we are mature about it.

I don't particularly like the government but I feel SF should at least have answers for some of the harder questions on the troubles/IRA links especially some of the questions that Dobson was asking. They also have to control their members or remove them when they wade into those area, its only two years ago we have a SF senator retweeting a post calling a murdered prison officer a sadist.

They don't pick on the greens as its not politically savvy to do so but they misjudged as they had though the SF popularity or protest vote had gone to them.

Labour they are careful because they could end up needing them and FF you would wonder what they have on each other.

Me too. For me housing out weighs everything and I'll support the parties looking to build not the one making it worse year on year. It's that simple.
    Seemingly the most popular coalition is FF, Lab, Greens. FF will swallow them whole, so hopefully SF preform well enough to keep FG in the ha'penny place.

Me too. For me housing out weighs everything and I'll support the parties looking to build not the one making it worse year on year. It's that simple.
    Seemingly the most popular coalition is FF, Lab, Greens. FF will swallow them whole, so hopefully SF preform well enough to keep FG in the ha'penny place.

There seems to be very much a deliberate effort at the moment to build up the vulture funds as the only show in town for landlords.

Right now the lay of the land is the rent pressure zones have locked the price you can rent at and can only be increased by 4% per year. The smaller landlords are creaming it and are openly getting around it with yields of 8%YoY compared to the vulture funds. Its like a picture is being built on which kind of landlord is more responsible.

On top of that equity has been hard to get for builders and the only ones really supplying it have been the vulture funds who know they will get a decent yield in return. So net-net is that your seeing the price of housing falling not because supply is catching up but people are hitting the central bank thresholds and you cannot buy housing so the demand isnt there. The rental yields though is where your seeing those increases.

I am starting to think though it might not be a bad play for them to be shaken up a bit (FF/FG).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It definitely can't be a bad thing.
    A huge part of me believes that they never really bothered to do anything about it because they never thought another party could become such a threat.
    I have said it before, but i honestly believe, if SF do a good enough job (especially for their voters), they may take FG's 'gap filler' position from them. It may not be immediate, but if I was in FG I would be worried.
    If SF mess up, that's it for them. I can't see them getting another chance for a long time.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I was just waiting for her to come out and cry that we have stolen her childhood :rolleyes:

Ive seen all the Dobbo interviews. From memory the ones with Leo and Catherine Murphy were particularly soft. He gave Michael Martin a rough ride at times. But one thing was consistent with the rest of them in that the candidates were allowed to answer their questions without immediate interruption. His interview with Mary Lou was a different proposition, she barely had half a sentence out of her mouth and he fired out the next question. It was a pointless interview, learnt absolutely nothing of importance about their manifesto and policies.

I have to watch that CB climate piece now.

Just watching MM interview now, i don't think Dobbo was any less harsh on him than he was ML (he even called him the minister of reports) and he also jumps in allot. He pretty much kept to the manifesto provided by FF and grilled him hard on the crash stuff.

Big difference between MM and ML at times was that Martin took a specific stance on items and pushed forward with it where as ML for some of the questions she didn't give a direct answer. Then again that was because he was talking about items from up the North as well but considering that SF want to be seen as an opposition and they don't have form in government down here it makes sense why they went that route.

Ill have to watch Leo and Catherine next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Best case of the possible scenarios is SF do well enough that the like of FF having changed nothing can't expect to waltz back in even after a FG sh*te show and vice versa. That's why we need a viable third who ever it is. Best achievable outcome for Ireland.

We shall see how it goes, SF now is not what it was even 15 years ago and i suspect a good influx of the new politicians were ex grass root FF supporters.

Best case of the possible scenarios is SF do well enough that the like of FF having changed nothing can't expect to waltz back in even after a FG sh*te show and vice versa. That's why we need a viable third who ever it is. Best achievable outcome for Ireland.

this is comedy to me now! Best entertainment ever! Can you imagine the alarm bells sounding in FFG HQ!!! LOL! LOL!

this is comedy to me now! Best entertainment ever! Can you imagine the alarm bells sounding in FFG HQ!!! LOL! LOL!

FF i don't think they will be too alarmed, they have been trying to right the ship for the past 8-9 years. Remember If Martin doesn't make Taoiseach he will be the only leader in FF History not do. He will do a deal with the devil himself if it meant he could lead even if it was for a short term, the leader of a lame duck government is still a leader.

Leo and FG however, they thought they could hang their hat on Brexit and the economic recovery but forgot that not everyone fully recovered. The general apathy when it comes to both health and housing is sickening.

FF i don't think they will be too alarmed, they have been trying to right the ship for the past 8-9 years. Remember If Martin doesn't make Taoiseach he will be the only leader in FF History not do. He will do a deal with the devil himself if it meant he could lead even if it was for a short term, the leader of a lame duck government is still a leader.

Leo and FG however, they thought they could hang their hat on Brexit and the economic recovery but forgot that not everyone fully recovered. The general apathy when it comes to both health and housing is sickening.

I could understand their arrogance more if their weren’t so useless. I think they want us to hang on another nine years , give them some time. These things take time don’t you know ...

• Advertisement

I could understand their arrogance more if their weren’t so useless. I think they want us to hang on another nine years , give them some time. These things take time don’t you know ...

Its like a just good enough approach, be happy what you have because the sky is going to fall out tomorrow.

When you have special need kids who need early intervention waiting 4-5 years until they get treatment or old people going up the north ect to have eye surgery you really wonder why you should bother paying tax.

Things are slow moving i get that but the level of entitled smugness about what they have done is unreal.

Advertisement